ImageImageImage

NBA suspended indefinitely.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#101 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:31 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:I was pretty much done with this on this site. And you or anyone else can dismiss my thoughts, I really don't care and it really doesn't matter, but you wrote a novel n we usually agree on suns related issues so i read a lot of what you wrote in a minute n can get the jist. I'll expound. (By the way I had been sick, and I did cough, it was just the reaction that was absurd, ppl r sheep. For all I know I had it, very well could have been, n how many others do or did, n aren't getting tested for it, which would add to the numbers of not threatening cases? Likely too many to count. I'm sure this is like the flu, just highly contagious because it's new n ppl don't have antibodies built up to fight it, n no flu shot to counter it, so just going by that, there Will be more deaths because more ppl will have it n the old n in poor health don't have a flu shot, so they will be at higher risk of problems, those are the ones to worry about. But let's not act like its the outbreak movie, n ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours.)

I get what you're saying, it's not like I have turned off my mind n haven't looked at what their purported #s are, n possibly the affect this all could cause. I just don't buy into the mass hysteria. Put it this way, the absurdity of the way ppl r acting doesn't match up to what this actually is.

Anytime a mass flu goes around, ppl who are vulnerable die from it. It's just what it is. The only way this will be worse is that there's no flu shot, so ppl who are susceptible, who would normally get a flu shot to counter it, cannot. This is where there will be a bit of a % hike in deaths. Like my 94 year old gramdma, this is the only person in thinking about that I know.

I'm assuming saying I'm "young" is some sort of shot towards my stance, masqueraded in a point of predetermined health status.......I'm 37, been around a bit, and believe it or not I do read and watch videos, this is why I have my stance. And when I'm right, it won't be because I had my head in the sand, and was just coincidentally, mindlessly right (I can already see that being the thought process here from all of the grand intellectuals, it's a nice, if predictable fallback), it'll be because of experience and my own sensibilities. Now if I'm wrong, and that doesn't mean someone had to die from it, because die from the flu or pneumonia everyday, but if it's really worth me boarding my doors up for because the %s are so high, then I'll say I was wrong. Absolutely. But let's not pretend I could say the same the other way around. Not with the goofs on a message board haha.



There is no dig, there is no shot and there is no shade thrown your way. Maybe I'm not the best communicator but I'm doing my absolute best to explain why this is more serious to the best of my knowledge and with utmost respect to you and anyone else reading.

I'll give you some points on common ground.

1. Nobody is in favor of this massive panic and hoarding that we're seeing in many places. Nobody wants to see that, it certainly hurts the elderly who are often slower to get to grocery stores because they may need a carer or family member to take them there and they generally only have access to supplies that's on the store shelves unlike some of the younger folk who will have access to online shopping. So I totally agree that media driven panic is not a good thing.

Mass hysteria is a bad thing and while we may disagree on the level of severity of this virus, we can both agree that the mass hysteria generated by the media is unhelpful. However, it is more dangerous for mass ignorance to be trumpeted from other news outlets. Telling people to go about business as usual is dangerous because that is how this will continue to spread and spread further than it could had to put in measures to curb it. Unfortunately, there isn't really a single source of information that most people can trust in because the news media nowadays is so divided into left and right and those in power don't seem to have grasped the enormity of the situation.

Countries who have dealt with this situation extremely well (and the data backs it up), like Taiwan, like Japan and like Singapore all put politics aside, were sticking to the facts in their communication, were providing regular and transparent information to the masses and most important of all, put the virus at the front and center of the issue; not economics and corporate hurt feelings.

2. I agree that this is far from outbreaks in movies where "ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours". It's certainly not like that. But not a single news outlet has described it as such that I've come across. Even the most extreme of descriptions of how the symptoms is brought on, it's like the very worst flu and possible shortness of breath. So I don't know if that's just the vibe you personally got but I really don't believe any news outlet has described it in the way you have.

Also I don't think anyone, even the most outspoken self-isolation proponents in the media are for boarding people up inside their homes like we saw in China. Self-isolation for a couple of weeks to spread the load on hospitals is really what's been advocated for. So again, it's not that people will just drop dead because they have the disease, on the contrary, most people will be able to fight it off like a very bad flu. The problem is those who need medical care and can't get it because hospital ICU's and beds are already at beyond capacity. That's when people's grandmothers, parents with diabetes, possibly people our age (I'm not much younger than yourself) with asthma for example that will be hurt the most from this.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
handsome salary
Junior
Posts: 416
And1: 392
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#102 » by handsome salary » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:03 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I was pretty much done with this on this site. And you or anyone else can dismiss my thoughts, I really don't care and it really doesn't matter, but you wrote a novel n we usually agree on suns related issues so i read a lot of what you wrote in a minute n can get the jist. I'll expound. (By the way I had been sick, and I did cough, it was just the reaction that was absurd, ppl r sheep. For all I know I had it, very well could have been, n how many others do or did, n aren't getting tested for it, which would add to the numbers of not threatening cases? Likely too many to count. I'm sure this is like the flu, just highly contagious because it's new n ppl don't have antibodies built up to fight it, n no flu shot to counter it, so just going by that, there Will be more deaths because more ppl will have it n the old n in poor health don't have a flu shot, so they will be at higher risk of problems, those are the ones to worry about. But let's not act like its the outbreak movie, n ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours.)

I get what you're saying, it's not like I have turned off my mind n haven't looked at what their purported #s are, n possibly the affect this all could cause. I just don't buy into the mass hysteria. Put it this way, the absurdity of the way ppl r acting doesn't match up to what this actually is.

Anytime a mass flu goes around, ppl who are vulnerable die from it. It's just what it is. The only way this will be worse is that there's no flu shot, so ppl who are susceptible, who would normally get a flu shot to counter it, cannot. This is where there will be a bit of a % hike in deaths. Like my 94 year old gramdma, this is the only person in thinking about that I know.

I'm assuming saying I'm "young" is some sort of shot towards my stance, masqueraded in a point of predetermined health status.......I'm 37, been around a bit, and believe it or not I do read and watch videos, this is why I have my stance. And when I'm right, it won't be because I had my head in the sand, and was just coincidentally, mindlessly right (I can already see that being the thought process here from all of the grand intellectuals, it's a nice, if predictable fallback), it'll be because of experience and my own sensibilities. Now if I'm wrong, and that doesn't mean someone had to die from it, because die from the flu or pneumonia everyday, but if it's really worth me boarding my doors up for because the %s are so high, then I'll say I was wrong. Absolutely. But let's not pretend I could say the same the other way around. Not with the goofs on a message board haha.



There is no dig, there is no shot and there is no shade thrown your way. Maybe I'm not the best communicator but I'm doing my absolute best to explain why this is more serious to the best of my knowledge and with utmost respect to you and anyone else reading.

I'll give you some points on common ground.

1. Nobody is in favor of this massive panic and hoarding that we're seeing in many places. Nobody wants to see that, it certainly hurts the elderly who are often slower to get to grocery stores because they may need a carer or family member to take them there and they generally only have access to supplies that's on the store shelves unlike some of the younger folk who will have access to online shopping. So I totally agree that media driven panic is not a good thing.

Mass hysteria is a bad thing and while we may disagree on the level of severity of this virus, we can both agree that the mass hysteria generated by the media is unhelpful. However, it is more dangerous for mass ignorance to be trumpeted from other news outlets. Telling people to go about business as usual is dangerous because that is how this will continue to spread and spread further than it could had to put in measures to curb it. Unfortunately, there isn't really a single source of information that most people can trust in because the news media nowadays is so divided into left and right and those in power don't seem to have grasped the enormity of the situation.

Countries who have dealt with this situation extremely well (and the data backs it up), like Taiwan, like Japan and like Singapore all put politics aside, were sticking to the facts in their communication, were providing regular and transparent information to the masses and most important of all, put the virus at the front and center of the issue; not economics and corporate hurt feelings.

2. I agree that this is far from outbreaks in movies where "ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours". It's certainly not like that. But not a single news outlet has described it as such that I've come across. Even the most extreme of descriptions of how the symptoms is brought on, it's like the very worst flu and possible shortness of breath. So I don't know if that's just the vibe you personally got but I really don't believe any news outlet has described it in the way you have.

Also I don't think anyone, even the most outspoken self-isolation proponents in the media are for boarding people up inside their homes like we saw in China. Self-isolation for a couple of weeks to spread the load on hospitals is really what's been advocated for. So again, it's not that people will just drop dead because they have the disease, on the contrary, most people will be able to fight it off like a very bad flu. The problem is those who need medical care and can't get it because hospital ICU's and beds are already at beyond capacity. That's when people's grandmothers, parents with diabetes, possibly people our age (I'm not much younger than yourself) with asthma for example that will be hurt the most from this.


Gotta agree with lilfishi22.

I also don't need to hear when folks are getting really sick and dying how stupid people are and you are so **** smart to laugh in every ones face. If you feel to need to post that at least post all the societal beneficial steps created by you to improve life on the planet so we know 'yeah, here's an expert, let's listen'. If not in my ledger you're a jerkoff.
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#103 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:24 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I was pretty much done with this on this site. And you or anyone else can dismiss my thoughts, I really don't care and it really doesn't matter, but you wrote a novel n we usually agree on suns related issues so i read a lot of what you wrote in a minute n can get the jist. I'll expound. (By the way I had been sick, and I did cough, it was just the reaction that was absurd, ppl r sheep. For all I know I had it, very well could have been, n how many others do or did, n aren't getting tested for it, which would add to the numbers of not threatening cases? Likely too many to count. I'm sure this is like the flu, just highly contagious because it's new n ppl don't have antibodies built up to fight it, n no flu shot to counter it, so just going by that, there Will be more deaths because more ppl will have it n the old n in poor health don't have a flu shot, so they will be at higher risk of problems, those are the ones to worry about. But let's not act like its the outbreak movie, n ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours.)

I get what you're saying, it's not like I have turned off my mind n haven't looked at what their purported #s are, n possibly the affect this all could cause. I just don't buy into the mass hysteria. Put it this way, the absurdity of the way ppl r acting doesn't match up to what this actually is.

Anytime a mass flu goes around, ppl who are vulnerable die from it. It's just what it is. The only way this will be worse is that there's no flu shot, so ppl who are susceptible, who would normally get a flu shot to counter it, cannot. This is where there will be a bit of a % hike in deaths. Like my 94 year old gramdma, this is the only person in thinking about that I know.

I'm assuming saying I'm "young" is some sort of shot towards my stance, masqueraded in a point of predetermined health status.......I'm 37, been around a bit, and believe it or not I do read and watch videos, this is why I have my stance. And when I'm right, it won't be because I had my head in the sand, and was just coincidentally, mindlessly right (I can already see that being the thought process here from all of the grand intellectuals, it's a nice, if predictable fallback), it'll be because of experience and my own sensibilities. Now if I'm wrong, and that doesn't mean someone had to die from it, because die from the flu or pneumonia everyday, but if it's really worth me boarding my doors up for because the %s are so high, then I'll say I was wrong. Absolutely. But let's not pretend I could say the same the other way around. Not with the goofs on a message board haha.



There is no dig, there is no shot and there is no shade thrown your way. Maybe I'm not the best communicator but I'm doing my absolute best to explain why this is more serious to the best of my knowledge and with utmost respect to you and anyone else reading.

I'll give you some points on common ground.

1. Nobody is in favor of this massive panic and hoarding that we're seeing in many places. Nobody wants to see that, it certainly hurts the elderly who are often slower to get to grocery stores because they may need a carer or family member to take them there and they generally only have access to supplies that's on the store shelves unlike some of the younger folk who will have access to online shopping. So I totally agree that media driven panic is not a good thing.

Mass hysteria is a bad thing and while we may disagree on the level of severity of this virus, we can both agree that the mass hysteria generated by the media is unhelpful. However, it is more dangerous for mass ignorance to be trumpeted from other news outlets. Telling people to go about business as usual is dangerous because that is how this will continue to spread and spread further than it could had to put in measures to curb it. Unfortunately, there isn't really a single source of information that most people can trust in because the news media nowadays is so divided into left and right and those in power don't seem to have grasped the enormity of the situation.

Countries who have dealt with this situation extremely well (and the data backs it up), like Taiwan, like Japan and like Singapore all put politics aside, were sticking to the facts in their communication, were providing regular and transparent information to the masses and most important of all, put the virus at the front and center of the issue; not economics and corporate hurt feelings.

2. I agree that this is far from outbreaks in movies where "ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours". It's certainly not like that. But not a single news outlet has described it as such that I've come across. Even the most extreme of descriptions of how the symptoms is brought on, it's like the very worst flu and possible shortness of breath. So I don't know if that's just the vibe you personally got but I really don't believe any news outlet has described it in the way you have.

Also I don't think anyone, even the most outspoken self-isolation proponents in the media are for boarding people up inside their homes like we saw in China. Self-isolation for a couple of weeks to spread the load on hospitals is really what's been advocated for. So again, it's not that people will just drop dead because they have the disease, on the contrary, most people will be able to fight it off like a very bad flu. The problem is those who need medical care and can't get it because hospital ICU's and beds are already at beyond capacity. That's when people's grandmothers, parents with diabetes, possibly people our age (I'm not much younger than yourself) with asthma for example that will be hurt the most from this.

I didn't say that a particular news outlet said any of those things you quoted me saying. I don't know where you would have read that in my post. I said it to make a point. The point I've been making from the start. The point you agreed with. ----the mass media hysteria and how some people are acting is not warranted given the actual severity of the situation.---- anyone saying I must be saying anything else would be incorrect. If one doesn't like it, I don't know what to tell them.

I stand by my post where I expounded.

Now, how the government is responding to things, and how things are shut down, stunting the economy for a period of time, etc, is beyond my control. My stance is not dependent on that, in fact all of that is what I'm against n part of the point I'm making. Its unwarranted. I'm not really addressing your post with this comment. I almost find it comical that I would have to type this paragraph, but such as it is.

Sure if a virus is going around I'm going to take certain precautions, goes without saying, but if it's up to me, I'm not going to halt my life. Unfortunately it isn't.

Overreaction abound. Overreaction posts on here are a microcosm of part of the problem that has been complained about. I'm not really talking about yours when I say that.

Overreactions are at the heart of the issue, my main issue with the situation at hand.
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#104 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:29 pm

handsome salary wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I was pretty much done with this on this site. And you or anyone else can dismiss my thoughts, I really don't care and it really doesn't matter, but you wrote a novel n we usually agree on suns related issues so i read a lot of what you wrote in a minute n can get the jist. I'll expound. (By the way I had been sick, and I did cough, it was just the reaction that was absurd, ppl r sheep. For all I know I had it, very well could have been, n how many others do or did, n aren't getting tested for it, which would add to the numbers of not threatening cases? Likely too many to count. I'm sure this is like the flu, just highly contagious because it's new n ppl don't have antibodies built up to fight it, n no flu shot to counter it, so just going by that, there Will be more deaths because more ppl will have it n the old n in poor health don't have a flu shot, so they will be at higher risk of problems, those are the ones to worry about. But let's not act like its the outbreak movie, n ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours.)

I get what you're saying, it's not like I have turned off my mind n haven't looked at what their purported #s are, n possibly the affect this all could cause. I just don't buy into the mass hysteria. Put it this way, the absurdity of the way ppl r acting doesn't match up to what this actually is.

Anytime a mass flu goes around, ppl who are vulnerable die from it. It's just what it is. The only way this will be worse is that there's no flu shot, so ppl who are susceptible, who would normally get a flu shot to counter it, cannot. This is where there will be a bit of a % hike in deaths. Like my 94 year old gramdma, this is the only person in thinking about that I know.

I'm assuming saying I'm "young" is some sort of shot towards my stance, masqueraded in a point of predetermined health status.......I'm 37, been around a bit, and believe it or not I do read and watch videos, this is why I have my stance. And when I'm right, it won't be because I had my head in the sand, and was just coincidentally, mindlessly right (I can already see that being the thought process here from all of the grand intellectuals, it's a nice, if predictable fallback), it'll be because of experience and my own sensibilities. Now if I'm wrong, and that doesn't mean someone had to die from it, because die from the flu or pneumonia everyday, but if it's really worth me boarding my doors up for because the %s are so high, then I'll say I was wrong. Absolutely. But let's not pretend I could say the same the other way around. Not with the goofs on a message board haha.



There is no dig, there is no shot and there is no shade thrown your way. Maybe I'm not the best communicator but I'm doing my absolute best to explain why this is more serious to the best of my knowledge and with utmost respect to you and anyone else reading.

I'll give you some points on common ground.

1. Nobody is in favor of this massive panic and hoarding that we're seeing in many places. Nobody wants to see that, it certainly hurts the elderly who are often slower to get to grocery stores because they may need a carer or family member to take them there and they generally only have access to supplies that's on the store shelves unlike some of the younger folk who will have access to online shopping. So I totally agree that media driven panic is not a good thing.

Mass hysteria is a bad thing and while we may disagree on the level of severity of this virus, we can both agree that the mass hysteria generated by the media is unhelpful. However, it is more dangerous for mass ignorance to be trumpeted from other news outlets. Telling people to go about business as usual is dangerous because that is how this will continue to spread and spread further than it could had to put in measures to curb it. Unfortunately, there isn't really a single source of information that most people can trust in because the news media nowadays is so divided into left and right and those in power don't seem to have grasped the enormity of the situation.

Countries who have dealt with this situation extremely well (and the data backs it up), like Taiwan, like Japan and like Singapore all put politics aside, were sticking to the facts in their communication, were providing regular and transparent information to the masses and most important of all, put the virus at the front and center of the issue; not economics and corporate hurt feelings.

2. I agree that this is far from outbreaks in movies where "ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours". It's certainly not like that. But not a single news outlet has described it as such that I've come across. Even the most extreme of descriptions of how the symptoms is brought on, it's like the very worst flu and possible shortness of breath. So I don't know if that's just the vibe you personally got but I really don't believe any news outlet has described it in the way you have.

Also I don't think anyone, even the most outspoken self-isolation proponents in the media are for boarding people up inside their homes like we saw in China. Self-isolation for a couple of weeks to spread the load on hospitals is really what's been advocated for. So again, it's not that people will just drop dead because they have the disease, on the contrary, most people will be able to fight it off like a very bad flu. The problem is those who need medical care and can't get it because hospital ICU's and beds are already at beyond capacity. That's when people's grandmothers, parents with diabetes, possibly people our age (I'm not much younger than yourself) with asthma for example that will be hurt the most from this.


Gotta agree with lilfishi22.

I also don't need to hear when folks are getting really sick and dying how stupid people are and you are so **** smart to laugh in every ones face. If you feel to need to post that at least post all the societal beneficial steps created by you to improve life on the planet so we know 'yeah, here's an expert, let's listen'. If not in my ledger you're a jerkoff.

Stupid post not to be addressed. But as an aside, in my "ledger" anyone who says that on a message board tends to be of the utmost cowardice in real life. You and I both know this. And I've no doubt that's the case. Good day to you.
handsome salary
Junior
Posts: 416
And1: 392
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#105 » by handsome salary » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:13 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
Stupid post not to be addressed. But as an aside, in my "ledger" anyone who says that on a message board tends to be of the utmost cowardice in real life. You and I both know this. And I've no doubt that's the case. Good day to you.


Feel free to say goodbye to me with your Superman knowledge. You got nothing as the nobody you are. I hope these measures work and you can come back with with the obligatory "SEE I KNEW" bull.I'd be happy that deaths were not that great. That's the best thing I can hear. People not dying...YEAH.
I've read your garbage but people got to live and worry about their families. Go play your stock market super capitalist and revel in your utter manly glory. I'm not so scared by little children as you. You been given information from other posters but yest will will probably still turn it into "I KNOW THIS and YET laugh AT ALL OTHERS". F U.

Yep basketball is now political.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#106 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I was pretty much done with this on this site. And you or anyone else can dismiss my thoughts, I really don't care and it really doesn't matter, but you wrote a novel n we usually agree on suns related issues so i read a lot of what you wrote in a minute n can get the jist. I'll expound. (By the way I had been sick, and I did cough, it was just the reaction that was absurd, ppl r sheep. For all I know I had it, very well could have been, n how many others do or did, n aren't getting tested for it, which would add to the numbers of not threatening cases? Likely too many to count. I'm sure this is like the flu, just highly contagious because it's new n ppl don't have antibodies built up to fight it, n no flu shot to counter it, so just going by that, there Will be more deaths because more ppl will have it n the old n in poor health don't have a flu shot, so they will be at higher risk of problems, those are the ones to worry about. But let's not act like its the outbreak movie, n ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours.)

I get what you're saying, it's not like I have turned off my mind n haven't looked at what their purported #s are, n possibly the affect this all could cause. I just don't buy into the mass hysteria. Put it this way, the absurdity of the way ppl r acting doesn't match up to what this actually is.

Anytime a mass flu goes around, ppl who are vulnerable die from it. It's just what it is. The only way this will be worse is that there's no flu shot, so ppl who are susceptible, who would normally get a flu shot to counter it, cannot. This is where there will be a bit of a % hike in deaths. Like my 94 year old gramdma, this is the only person in thinking about that I know.

I'm assuming saying I'm "young" is some sort of shot towards my stance, masqueraded in a point of predetermined health status.......I'm 37, been around a bit, and believe it or not I do read and watch videos, this is why I have my stance. And when I'm right, it won't be because I had my head in the sand, and was just coincidentally, mindlessly right (I can already see that being the thought process here from all of the grand intellectuals, it's a nice, if predictable fallback), it'll be because of experience and my own sensibilities. Now if I'm wrong, and that doesn't mean someone had to die from it, because die from the flu or pneumonia everyday, but if it's really worth me boarding my doors up for because the %s are so high, then I'll say I was wrong. Absolutely. But let's not pretend I could say the same the other way around. Not with the goofs on a message board haha.



There is no dig, there is no shot and there is no shade thrown your way. Maybe I'm not the best communicator but I'm doing my absolute best to explain why this is more serious to the best of my knowledge and with utmost respect to you and anyone else reading.

I'll give you some points on common ground.

1. Nobody is in favor of this massive panic and hoarding that we're seeing in many places. Nobody wants to see that, it certainly hurts the elderly who are often slower to get to grocery stores because they may need a carer or family member to take them there and they generally only have access to supplies that's on the store shelves unlike some of the younger folk who will have access to online shopping. So I totally agree that media driven panic is not a good thing.

Mass hysteria is a bad thing and while we may disagree on the level of severity of this virus, we can both agree that the mass hysteria generated by the media is unhelpful. However, it is more dangerous for mass ignorance to be trumpeted from other news outlets. Telling people to go about business as usual is dangerous because that is how this will continue to spread and spread further than it could had to put in measures to curb it. Unfortunately, there isn't really a single source of information that most people can trust in because the news media nowadays is so divided into left and right and those in power don't seem to have grasped the enormity of the situation.

Countries who have dealt with this situation extremely well (and the data backs it up), like Taiwan, like Japan and like Singapore all put politics aside, were sticking to the facts in their communication, were providing regular and transparent information to the masses and most important of all, put the virus at the front and center of the issue; not economics and corporate hurt feelings.

2. I agree that this is far from outbreaks in movies where "ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours". It's certainly not like that. But not a single news outlet has described it as such that I've come across. Even the most extreme of descriptions of how the symptoms is brought on, it's like the very worst flu and possible shortness of breath. So I don't know if that's just the vibe you personally got but I really don't believe any news outlet has described it in the way you have.

Also I don't think anyone, even the most outspoken self-isolation proponents in the media are for boarding people up inside their homes like we saw in China. Self-isolation for a couple of weeks to spread the load on hospitals is really what's been advocated for. So again, it's not that people will just drop dead because they have the disease, on the contrary, most people will be able to fight it off like a very bad flu. The problem is those who need medical care and can't get it because hospital ICU's and beds are already at beyond capacity. That's when people's grandmothers, parents with diabetes, possibly people our age (I'm not much younger than yourself) with asthma for example that will be hurt the most from this.

I didn't say that a particular news outlet said any of those things you quoted me saying. I don't know where you would have read that in my post. I said it to make a point. The point I've been making from the start. The point you agreed with. ----the mass media hysteria and how some people are acting is not warranted given the actual severity of the situation.---- anyone saying I must be saying anything else would be incorrect. If one doesn't like it, I don't know what to tell them.

I stand by my post where I expounded.

Now, how the government is responding to things, and how things are shut down, stunting the economy for a period of time, etc, is beyond my control. My stance is not dependent on that, in fact all of that is what I'm against n part of the point I'm making. Its unwarranted. I'm not really addressing your post with this comment. I almost find it comical that I would have to type this paragraph, but such as it is.

Sure if a virus is going around I'm going to take certain precautions, goes without saying, but if it's up to me, I'm not going to halt my life. Unfortunately it isn't.

Overreaction abound. Overreaction posts on here are a microcosm of part of the problem that has been complained about. I'm not really talking about yours when I say that.

Overreactions are at the heart of the issue, my main issue with the situation at hand.

And we agree there is a lot of overreaction from the public when there doesn't need to be. Stockpiling supplies doesn't mean buying a whole shelf of pasta and toilet paper. It just means picking up a little extra than what you normally would. So the whole panic around hoarding is absolutely unnecessary and dangerous.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on is the government response, especially if you look at what Singapore, Japan and Taiwan have done and what Italy has FINALLY done and that's shutting things down to curb the spread. Yes, there will be a temporary hurt but they will be the first to get things running again, as they will be the first to get back to normal because they did the right thing early.

I think people need to take precautions as you've said and social distancing is one measure, self-isolation is another if there's a chance you might be infected. It's all measures to stop the spread. Stop the spread to the elderly and to the at-risk folk. And that's kind of my my point, it's not about making changes to your life so you are safe, it's partly that but it's making changes in your daily routine so others who might not be able to handle the virus stay safe. So this idea that I'm gonna live my life, **** everyone else is what I'm totally against and the pinnacle of selfishness.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
handsome salary
Junior
Posts: 416
And1: 392
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#107 » by handsome salary » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:49 am

hollywood6964 wrote:This is so ridiculous. We have let the feminists take over, so not surprising the new level of ridiculous fear.

I went to the grocery store yesterday, n all the nuts are wearing their michael Jackson masks, piling up for the worlds end. All the water was out of stock, etc.

I coughed a few times for effect n everyone started starting at me. I just laughed. Overblown flu virus. Anyone making a big deal out of this is a moron and will feel as such in the next 6 weeks when this all is in the rear view mirror. Then they can act like they weren't the ones wearing masks n talking about this bull 24/7.

Time to hit the stock market.


C'mon you little itty fish. Keep posting your bull. Keep laughing. Keep it up. I don't mind reminding folks you are an a hole and weakling. I really don't care. I find this post as big of a steaming pile of **** as you can get start to finish. I'll repost it every week.

Too bad we both like the Suns.
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#108 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:01 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

There is no dig, there is no shot and there is no shade thrown your way. Maybe I'm not the best communicator but I'm doing my absolute best to explain why this is more serious to the best of my knowledge and with utmost respect to you and anyone else reading.

I'll give you some points on common ground.

1. Nobody is in favor of this massive panic and hoarding that we're seeing in many places. Nobody wants to see that, it certainly hurts the elderly who are often slower to get to grocery stores because they may need a carer or family member to take them there and they generally only have access to supplies that's on the store shelves unlike some of the younger folk who will have access to online shopping. So I totally agree that media driven panic is not a good thing.

Mass hysteria is a bad thing and while we may disagree on the level of severity of this virus, we can both agree that the mass hysteria generated by the media is unhelpful. However, it is more dangerous for mass ignorance to be trumpeted from other news outlets. Telling people to go about business as usual is dangerous because that is how this will continue to spread and spread further than it could had to put in measures to curb it. Unfortunately, there isn't really a single source of information that most people can trust in because the news media nowadays is so divided into left and right and those in power don't seem to have grasped the enormity of the situation.

Countries who have dealt with this situation extremely well (and the data backs it up), like Taiwan, like Japan and like Singapore all put politics aside, were sticking to the facts in their communication, were providing regular and transparent information to the masses and most important of all, put the virus at the front and center of the issue; not economics and corporate hurt feelings.

2. I agree that this is far from outbreaks in movies where "ppls eyes r going to start bleeding n dying in a matter of hours". It's certainly not like that. But not a single news outlet has described it as such that I've come across. Even the most extreme of descriptions of how the symptoms is brought on, it's like the very worst flu and possible shortness of breath. So I don't know if that's just the vibe you personally got but I really don't believe any news outlet has described it in the way you have.

Also I don't think anyone, even the most outspoken self-isolation proponents in the media are for boarding people up inside their homes like we saw in China. Self-isolation for a couple of weeks to spread the load on hospitals is really what's been advocated for. So again, it's not that people will just drop dead because they have the disease, on the contrary, most people will be able to fight it off like a very bad flu. The problem is those who need medical care and can't get it because hospital ICU's and beds are already at beyond capacity. That's when people's grandmothers, parents with diabetes, possibly people our age (I'm not much younger than yourself) with asthma for example that will be hurt the most from this.

I didn't say that a particular news outlet said any of those things you quoted me saying. I don't know where you would have read that in my post. I said it to make a point. The point I've been making from the start. The point you agreed with. ----the mass media hysteria and how some people are acting is not warranted given the actual severity of the situation.---- anyone saying I must be saying anything else would be incorrect. If one doesn't like it, I don't know what to tell them.

I stand by my post where I expounded.

Now, how the government is responding to things, and how things are shut down, stunting the economy for a period of time, etc, is beyond my control. My stance is not dependent on that, in fact all of that is what I'm against n part of the point I'm making. Its unwarranted. I'm not really addressing your post with this comment. I almost find it comical that I would have to type this paragraph, but such as it is.

Sure if a virus is going around I'm going to take certain precautions, goes without saying, but if it's up to me, I'm not going to halt my life. Unfortunately it isn't.

Overreaction abound. Overreaction posts on here are a microcosm of part of the problem that has been complained about. I'm not really talking about yours when I say that.

Overreactions are at the heart of the issue, my main issue with the situation at hand.

And we agree there is a lot of overreaction from the public when there doesn't need to be. Stockpiling supplies doesn't mean buying a whole shelf of pasta and toilet paper. It just means picking up a little extra than what you normally would. So the whole panic around hoarding is absolutely unnecessary and dangerous.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on is the government response, especially if you look at what Singapore, Japan and Taiwan have done and what Italy has FINALLY done and that's shutting things down to curb the spread. Yes, there will be a temporary hurt but they will be the first to get things running again, as they will be the first to get back to normal because they did the right thing early.

I think people need to take precautions as you've said and social distancing is one measure, self-isolation is another if there's a chance you might be infected. It's all measures to stop the spread. Stop the spread to the elderly and to the at-risk folk. And that's kind of my my point, it's not about making changes to your life so you are safe, it's partly that but it's making changes in your daily routine so others who might not be able to handle the virus stay safe. So this idea that I'm gonna live my life, **** everyone else is what I'm totally against and the pinnacle of selfishness.

The last part with the **** everyone else seems like the ridiculous overreaction to what my posts have been on this board. As if I've meant n said that. Even with my expounding, I'm still getting overreation comments to my posts. It's absurdity really. I mean look at the previous poster for instance, wouldn't you get banned such insults on here? Not that I care for that to happen, I really laugh at the goon. But it would be correct. But I suppose since i have an unpopular opinion (on here with this dubious crowd), it's just allowed. As if it'd be any different than anything else debated. Again, microcosm of the allowed and abated hysteria.

But I digress. Alt the **** everyone else. That's some stretch from all of my posts isn't it? I'm fact it's not even involved in the equation. But usually this is how it goes with something like this. Making sense be damned. But I've quite liked talking with you about the subject, I think you're fair minded, if, a little liberal leaning (Australia right? Even worse than here so I can see the influence). And I'm not a trump crazy supporter or whatever, I'm a centrist. I mention the political stance because that's been a debated element in who's got what stance during this whole thing.

Anyways we'll see how it goes. If I'm to make a prediction, everything will go relatively smoothly, considering. Give it a couple weeks or so.
handsome salary
Junior
Posts: 416
And1: 392
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#109 » by handsome salary » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:10 am

hollywood6964 wrote:(on here with this dubious crowd),


Guess most of you are just "not to be relied upon; suspect."

Keep digging that I've been overreacted to hole.
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Veteran
Posts: 2,676
And1: 793
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#110 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

New schedule changes???
Image
User avatar
grumpysaddle
RealGM
Posts: 13,532
And1: 6,432
Joined: Feb 22, 2009
Location: San Diego
 

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#111 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:06 am

hollywood6964 wrote:Anyways we'll see how it goes. If I'm to make a prediction, everything will go relatively smoothly, considering. Give it a couple weeks or so.


If things go "relatively smoothly" it's because precautions were taken and people took things seriously. Left unchecked, this will affect every single person in contact with anyone else. It's not overblown. It spreads fast and lingers for a good while. I'd prefer people didn't hoard groceries as it really made trying to find food and toilet paper impossible today, but people are scared. It's a scary situation that the world hasn't seen in 100 years at least. It's not like our administration is instilling any confidence. They've stumbled at every turn and it's literally killing people. Even if you're unconcerned by it, stop being selfish and stay in. Be a decent human being.
Image
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
Posts: 18,090
And1: 4,640
Joined: May 13, 2011
Contact:
     

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#112 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 am

Summer should wipe this virus off its ugly feet. With Arizonas hot weather coming up in a month this coronavirus has no chance and will be wiped up for good. In other places it will take a bit longer to control it.
Image

Special Thanks to Ghost of Kleine.
GoodBehavior
Junior
Posts: 299
And1: 174
Joined: Dec 03, 2018

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#113 » by GoodBehavior » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Without a doubt, the biggest loser in this affair are the Suns. It practically kills off any off season progression and developments. Assuming there's an off-season to begin with.
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#114 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Anyways we'll see how it goes. If I'm to make a prediction, everything will go relatively smoothly, considering. Give it a couple weeks or so.


If things go "relatively smoothly" it's because precautions were taken and people took things seriously. Left unchecked, this will affect every single person in contact with anyone else. It's not overblown. It spreads fast and lingers for a good while. I'd prefer people didn't hoard groceries as it really made trying to find food and toilet paper impossible today, but people are scared. It's a scary situation that the world hasn't seen in 100 years at least. It's not like our administration is instilling any confidence. They've stumbled at every turn and it's literally killing people. Even if you're unconcerned by it, stop being selfish and stay in. Be a decent human being.

Naa, That's not true. We h1n1 just 10 years ago. And the numbers we have now are dubious, because they don't have the real numbers, most cases are so mild they are not reported. Let us not be selfish by wanting to be apart of something big and exaggerate. See how that can be turned the opposite way?

My point is to have some perspective. Most anybody I know or do business with have a reasonable, steady approach to this. And also have a bit of an eye roll to the absurd reactions by some people and the mass media (which influences what the government does, of course), the vocal on this board withstanding haha.

It won't be because of the closing of everything, but obviously isolation can only help in not spreading anything. That goes without without saying. But it'll be because this is overblown, and this will be thought of that way in due time. And anyone freaking out and yelling at others, insulting like children, sniping the last package of spaghetti, buying 12 cases of water, getting in fights at grocery stores, and just overall hive-minding this thing will be hard to find, because nobody will admit to it. At best, it'll be "because we acted this way it's better now", you know, because people want to be apart of and the solution to something big in their lives. Part of human nature.

We'll see how it goes in the next couple weeks or so.
User avatar
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
Posts: 4,952
And1: 4,210
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
   

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#115 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:56 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:Summer should wipe this virus off its ugly feet. With Arizonas hot weather coming up in a month this coronavirus has no chance and will be wiped up for good. In other places it will take a bit longer to control it.

We can hope for that, but there is no guarantee that warmer weather will do anything to it whatsoever.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,940
And1: 9,407
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#116 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:52 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:Summer should wipe this virus off its ugly feet. With Arizonas hot weather coming up in a month this coronavirus has no chance and will be wiped up for good. In other places it will take a bit longer to control it.

We can hope for that, but there is no guarantee that warmer weather will do anything to it whatsoever.
Yeah and the fact that Australia is seeing cases grow now durring their summer is not a good sign.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
grumpysaddle
RealGM
Posts: 13,532
And1: 6,432
Joined: Feb 22, 2009
Location: San Diego
 

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#117 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:40 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Anyways we'll see how it goes. If I'm to make a prediction, everything will go relatively smoothly, considering. Give it a couple weeks or so.


If things go "relatively smoothly" it's because precautions were taken and people took things seriously. Left unchecked, this will affect every single person in contact with anyone else. It's not overblown. It spreads fast and lingers for a good while. I'd prefer people didn't hoard groceries as it really made trying to find food and toilet paper impossible today, but people are scared. It's a scary situation that the world hasn't seen in 100 years at least. It's not like our administration is instilling any confidence. They've stumbled at every turn and it's literally killing people. Even if you're unconcerned by it, stop being selfish and stay in. Be a decent human being.

Naa, That's not true. We h1n1 just 10 years ago. And the numbers we have now are dubious, because they don't have the real numbers, most cases are so mild they are not reported. Let us not be selfish by wanting to be apart of something big and exaggerate. See how that can be turned the opposite way?

My point is to have some perspective. Most anybody I know or do business with have a reasonable, steady approach to this. And also have a bit of an eye roll to the absurd reactions by some people and the mass media (which influences what the government does, of course), the vocal on this board withstanding haha.

It won't be because of the closing of everything, but obviously isolation can only help in not spreading anything. That goes without without saying. But it'll be because this is overblown, and this will be thought of that way in due time. And anyone freaking out and yelling at others, insulting like children, sniping the last package of spaghetti, buying 12 cases of water, getting in fights at grocery stores, and just overall hive-minding this thing will be hard to find, because nobody will admit to it. At best, it'll be "because we acted this way it's better now", you know, because people want to be apart of and the solution to something big in their lives. Part of human nature.

We'll see how it goes in the next couple weeks or so.

H1N1 and Covid-19 are completely different. H1N1 is not nearly as transmittable, it's far more deadly, but it was caught early on and handled effectively. Trump dismantled the CDC and purposely lied and stumbled at every opportunity with this one. If the US had acted preemptively, this might not be a big deal, but since no one took it seriously at the highest levels of our system, what is happening now and will continue to happen is not overblown. Shutting down everything and social distancing is the only treatment at this point, and that is JUST to slow it down so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed. This virus infects people at an exponential rate. Right now it is doubling the infected about every 3 days. So... 3000+ CONFIRMED cases turns into 6000 turns into 12000, turns into 24000, 48000, 96000, 192000, 384000, 768000, 1.53 million, 3+ million infected in just one months time if left unchecked. And that is with the testing numbers currently available. It's more likely that there's probably closer to 20k infected and most just don't know or have access to testing. The fact that you can have the virus without symptoms makes it MUCH more difficult to contain. This is not an overreaction.

The closest event to what we have right now is the Spanish Flu, and that was 1918. There have been other pandemic scares, but they never got to the point of pandemic. The CDC and WHO have officially declared this a pandemic. H1N1 never got to pandemic level.
Image
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#118 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:38 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I didn't say that a particular news outlet said any of those things you quoted me saying. I don't know where you would have read that in my post. I said it to make a point. The point I've been making from the start. The point you agreed with. ----the mass media hysteria and how some people are acting is not warranted given the actual severity of the situation.---- anyone saying I must be saying anything else would be incorrect. If one doesn't like it, I don't know what to tell them.

I stand by my post where I expounded.

Now, how the government is responding to things, and how things are shut down, stunting the economy for a period of time, etc, is beyond my control. My stance is not dependent on that, in fact all of that is what I'm against n part of the point I'm making. Its unwarranted. I'm not really addressing your post with this comment. I almost find it comical that I would have to type this paragraph, but such as it is.

Sure if a virus is going around I'm going to take certain precautions, goes without saying, but if it's up to me, I'm not going to halt my life. Unfortunately it isn't.

Overreaction abound. Overreaction posts on here are a microcosm of part of the problem that has been complained about. I'm not really talking about yours when I say that.

Overreactions are at the heart of the issue, my main issue with the situation at hand.

And we agree there is a lot of overreaction from the public when there doesn't need to be. Stockpiling supplies doesn't mean buying a whole shelf of pasta and toilet paper. It just means picking up a little extra than what you normally would. So the whole panic around hoarding is absolutely unnecessary and dangerous.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on is the government response, especially if you look at what Singapore, Japan and Taiwan have done and what Italy has FINALLY done and that's shutting things down to curb the spread. Yes, there will be a temporary hurt but they will be the first to get things running again, as they will be the first to get back to normal because they did the right thing early.

I think people need to take precautions as you've said and social distancing is one measure, self-isolation is another if there's a chance you might be infected. It's all measures to stop the spread. Stop the spread to the elderly and to the at-risk folk. And that's kind of my my point, it's not about making changes to your life so you are safe, it's partly that but it's making changes in your daily routine so others who might not be able to handle the virus stay safe. So this idea that I'm gonna live my life, **** everyone else is what I'm totally against and the pinnacle of selfishness.

The last part with the **** everyone else seems like the ridiculous overreaction to what my posts have been on this board. As if I've meant n said that. Even with my expounding, I'm still getting overreation comments to my posts. It's absurdity really. I mean look at the previous poster for instance, wouldn't you get banned such insults on here? Not that I care for that to happen, I really laugh at the goon. But it would be correct. But I suppose since i have an unpopular opinion (on here with this dubious crowd), it's just allowed. As if it'd be any different than anything else debated. Again, microcosm of the allowed and abated hysteria.

But I digress. Alt the **** everyone else. That's some stretch from all of my posts isn't it? I'm fact it's not even involved in the equation. But usually this is how it goes with something like this. Making sense be damned. But I've quite liked talking with you about the subject, I think you're fair minded, if, a little liberal leaning (Australia right? Even worse than here so I can see the influence). And I'm not a trump crazy supporter or whatever, I'm a centrist. I mention the political stance because that's been a debated element in who's got what stance during this whole thing.

Anyways we'll see how it goes. If I'm to make a prediction, everything will go relatively smoothly, considering. Give it a couple weeks or so.

Just because I lean left on this issue doesn't mean we can't agree on a unified goal, limit the spread of this virus and keep deaths as low as possible. At least that we can agree to right? If we can't agree on these two principles then I don't think we can agree.

I try to keep politics out of our discussion but I'm sure my left leaning biases have come through but I don't think this is a left or right issue. Ironically, it's Andrew Yang's tag line, humanity first. That's what my focus is.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#119 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Anyways we'll see how it goes. If I'm to make a prediction, everything will go relatively smoothly, considering. Give it a couple weeks or so.


If things go "relatively smoothly" it's because precautions were taken and people took things seriously. Left unchecked, this will affect every single person in contact with anyone else. It's not overblown. It spreads fast and lingers for a good while. I'd prefer people didn't hoard groceries as it really made trying to find food and toilet paper impossible today, but people are scared. It's a scary situation that the world hasn't seen in 100 years at least. It's not like our administration is instilling any confidence. They've stumbled at every turn and it's literally killing people. Even if you're unconcerned by it, stop being selfish and stay in. Be a decent human being.

Naa, That's not true. We h1n1 just 10 years ago. And the numbers we have now are dubious, because they don't have the real numbers, most cases are so mild they are not reported. Let us not be selfish by wanting to be apart of something big and exaggerate. See how that can be turned the opposite way?

My point is to have some perspective. Most anybody I know or do business with have a reasonable, steady approach to this. And also have a bit of an eye roll to the absurd reactions by some people and the mass media (which influences what the government does, of course), the vocal on this board withstanding haha.

It won't be because of the closing of everything, but obviously isolation can only help in not spreading anything. That goes without without saying. But it'll be because this is overblown, and this will be thought of that way in due time. And anyone freaking out and yelling at others, insulting like children, sniping the last package of spaghetti, buying 12 cases of water, getting in fights at grocery stores, and just overall hive-minding this thing will be hard to find, because nobody will admit to it. At best, it'll be "because we acted this way it's better now", you know, because people want to be apart of and the solution to something big in their lives. Part of human nature.

We'll see how it goes in the next couple weeks or so.

We can agree that the hoarding, arguing and brawling over the last 24 pack of toilet paper is unnecessary, dangerous and reveals some of the worst in humanity. A lot of people are hoarding or panic buying because they are scared and even though there is plenty of food for everyone (I mean, this isn't a third world country we're talking about here), people want to do things just to feel like they are doing something. This is what happens when a nation is caught ill-prepared and there is a vacuum of leadership.

But I will also agree that while the mass media has done a rather poor job of actually communicating the facts and not sensationalizing the whole thing, if we get through this smoothly, it WILL be because people took this seriously and actually self-isolated and/or distanced themselves socially. It certainly won't be because everyone is taking it business as usual and carrying on as if nothing's going on.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#120 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:13 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
If things go "relatively smoothly" it's because precautions were taken and people took things seriously. Left unchecked, this will affect every single person in contact with anyone else. It's not overblown. It spreads fast and lingers for a good while. I'd prefer people didn't hoard groceries as it really made trying to find food and toilet paper impossible today, but people are scared. It's a scary situation that the world hasn't seen in 100 years at least. It's not like our administration is instilling any confidence. They've stumbled at every turn and it's literally killing people. Even if you're unconcerned by it, stop being selfish and stay in. Be a decent human being.

Naa, That's not true. We h1n1 just 10 years ago. And the numbers we have now are dubious, because they don't have the real numbers, most cases are so mild they are not reported. Let us not be selfish by wanting to be apart of something big and exaggerate. See how that can be turned the opposite way?

My point is to have some perspective. Most anybody I know or do business with have a reasonable, steady approach to this. And also have a bit of an eye roll to the absurd reactions by some people and the mass media (which influences what the government does, of course), the vocal on this board withstanding haha.

It won't be because of the closing of everything, but obviously isolation can only help in not spreading anything. That goes without without saying. But it'll be because this is overblown, and this will be thought of that way in due time. And anyone freaking out and yelling at others, insulting like children, sniping the last package of spaghetti, buying 12 cases of water, getting in fights at grocery stores, and just overall hive-minding this thing will be hard to find, because nobody will admit to it. At best, it'll be "because we acted this way it's better now", you know, because people want to be apart of and the solution to something big in their lives. Part of human nature.

We'll see how it goes in the next couple weeks or so.

H1N1 and Covid-19 are completely different. H1N1 is not nearly as transmittable, it's far more deadly, but it was caught early on and handled effectively. Trump dismantled the CDC and purposely lied and stumbled at every opportunity with this one. If the US had acted preemptively, this might not be a big deal, but since no one took it seriously at the highest levels of our system, what is happening now and will continue to happen is not overblown. Shutting down everything and social distancing is the only treatment at this point, and that is JUST to slow it down so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed. This virus infects people at an exponential rate. Right now it is doubling the infected about every 3 days. So... 3000+ CONFIRMED cases turns into 6000 turns into 12000, turns into 24000, 48000, 96000, 192000, 384000, 768000, 1.53 million, 3+ million infected in just one months time if left unchecked. And that is with the testing numbers currently available. It's more likely that there's probably closer to 20k infected and most just don't know or have access to testing. The fact that you can have the virus without symptoms makes it MUCH more difficult to contain. This is not an overreaction.

The closest event to what we have right now is the Spanish Flu, and that was 1918. There have been other pandemic scares, but they never got to the point of pandemic. The CDC and WHO have officially declared this a pandemic. H1N1 never got to pandemic level.

june 11, 2009 h1n1 was declared a global pandemic. This is overblown. I know what info you are talking, sounds like the Joe Rogan video, and I'm still of the mind (like many others, also in the medical community) who thinks this is an overreaction.

Here's a hell of a video to put this all into perspective.

Return to Phoenix Suns