ImageImageImage

NBA suspended indefinitely.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#121 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:16 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:And we agree there is a lot of overreaction from the public when there doesn't need to be. Stockpiling supplies doesn't mean buying a whole shelf of pasta and toilet paper. It just means picking up a little extra than what you normally would. So the whole panic around hoarding is absolutely unnecessary and dangerous.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on is the government response, especially if you look at what Singapore, Japan and Taiwan have done and what Italy has FINALLY done and that's shutting things down to curb the spread. Yes, there will be a temporary hurt but they will be the first to get things running again, as they will be the first to get back to normal because they did the right thing early.

I think people need to take precautions as you've said and social distancing is one measure, self-isolation is another if there's a chance you might be infected. It's all measures to stop the spread. Stop the spread to the elderly and to the at-risk folk. And that's kind of my my point, it's not about making changes to your life so you are safe, it's partly that but it's making changes in your daily routine so others who might not be able to handle the virus stay safe. So this idea that I'm gonna live my life, **** everyone else is what I'm totally against and the pinnacle of selfishness.

The last part with the **** everyone else seems like the ridiculous overreaction to what my posts have been on this board. As if I've meant n said that. Even with my expounding, I'm still getting overreation comments to my posts. It's absurdity really. I mean look at the previous poster for instance, wouldn't you get banned such insults on here? Not that I care for that to happen, I really laugh at the goon. But it would be correct. But I suppose since i have an unpopular opinion (on here with this dubious crowd), it's just allowed. As if it'd be any different than anything else debated. Again, microcosm of the allowed and abated hysteria.

But I digress. Alt the **** everyone else. That's some stretch from all of my posts isn't it? I'm fact it's not even involved in the equation. But usually this is how it goes with something like this. Making sense be damned. But I've quite liked talking with you about the subject, I think you're fair minded, if, a little liberal leaning (Australia right? Even worse than here so I can see the influence). And I'm not a trump crazy supporter or whatever, I'm a centrist. I mention the political stance because that's been a debated element in who's got what stance during this whole thing.

Anyways we'll see how it goes. If I'm to make a prediction, everything will go relatively smoothly, considering. Give it a couple weeks or so.

Just because I lean left on this issue doesn't mean we can't agree on a unified goal, limit the spread of this virus and keep deaths as low as possible. At least that we can agree to right? If we can't agree on these two principles then I don't think we can agree.

I try to keep politics out of our discussion but I'm sure my left leaning biases have come through but I don't think this is a left or right issue. Ironically, it's Andrew Yang's tag line, humanity first. That's what my focus is.
No, I think we should spread it to everyone, just to really see who is going to get to what level of illness for documentation purposes. Of course for **** sake haha, that goes without saying. But to this level of extreme, no. You know my position on it.
User avatar
grumpysaddle
RealGM
Posts: 13,532
And1: 6,432
Joined: Feb 22, 2009
Location: San Diego
 

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#122 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:24 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Naa, That's not true. We h1n1 just 10 years ago. And the numbers we have now are dubious, because they don't have the real numbers, most cases are so mild they are not reported. Let us not be selfish by wanting to be apart of something big and exaggerate. See how that can be turned the opposite way?

My point is to have some perspective. Most anybody I know or do business with have a reasonable, steady approach to this. And also have a bit of an eye roll to the absurd reactions by some people and the mass media (which influences what the government does, of course), the vocal on this board withstanding haha.

It won't be because of the closing of everything, but obviously isolation can only help in not spreading anything. That goes without without saying. But it'll be because this is overblown, and this will be thought of that way in due time. And anyone freaking out and yelling at others, insulting like children, sniping the last package of spaghetti, buying 12 cases of water, getting in fights at grocery stores, and just overall hive-minding this thing will be hard to find, because nobody will admit to it. At best, it'll be "because we acted this way it's better now", you know, because people want to be apart of and the solution to something big in their lives. Part of human nature.

We'll see how it goes in the next couple weeks or so.

H1N1 and Covid-19 are completely different. H1N1 is not nearly as transmittable, it's far more deadly, but it was caught early on and handled effectively. Trump dismantled the CDC and purposely lied and stumbled at every opportunity with this one. If the US had acted preemptively, this might not be a big deal, but since no one took it seriously at the highest levels of our system, what is happening now and will continue to happen is not overblown. Shutting down everything and social distancing is the only treatment at this point, and that is JUST to slow it down so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed. This virus infects people at an exponential rate. Right now it is doubling the infected about every 3 days. So... 3000+ CONFIRMED cases turns into 6000 turns into 12000, turns into 24000, 48000, 96000, 192000, 384000, 768000, 1.53 million, 3+ million infected in just one months time if left unchecked. And that is with the testing numbers currently available. It's more likely that there's probably closer to 20k infected and most just don't know or have access to testing. The fact that you can have the virus without symptoms makes it MUCH more difficult to contain. This is not an overreaction.

The closest event to what we have right now is the Spanish Flu, and that was 1918. There have been other pandemic scares, but they never got to the point of pandemic. The CDC and WHO have officially declared this a pandemic. H1N1 never got to pandemic level.

june 11, 2009 h1n1 was declared a global pandemic. This is overblown. I know what info you are talking, sounds like the Joe Rogan video, and I'm still of the mind (like many others, also in the medical community) who thinks this is an overreaction.

I haven't watched or listened to the Joe Rogan podcast yet, but the dude on it is the LEADING VIRAL INFECTION SCIENTIST in the country. I'll most definitely listen to him over a 37 year old dude that thinks it's funny to cough in public spaces cause it's 'edgy'.
Image
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#123 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:29 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:H1N1 and Covid-19 are completely different. H1N1 is not nearly as transmittable, it's far more deadly, but it was caught early on and handled effectively. Trump dismantled the CDC and purposely lied and stumbled at every opportunity with this one. If the US had acted preemptively, this might not be a big deal, but since no one took it seriously at the highest levels of our system, what is happening now and will continue to happen is not overblown. Shutting down everything and social distancing is the only treatment at this point, and that is JUST to slow it down so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed. This virus infects people at an exponential rate. Right now it is doubling the infected about every 3 days. So... 3000+ CONFIRMED cases turns into 6000 turns into 12000, turns into 24000, 48000, 96000, 192000, 384000, 768000, 1.53 million, 3+ million infected in just one months time if left unchecked. And that is with the testing numbers currently available. It's more likely that there's probably closer to 20k infected and most just don't know or have access to testing. The fact that you can have the virus without symptoms makes it MUCH more difficult to contain. This is not an overreaction.

The closest event to what we have right now is the Spanish Flu, and that was 1918. There have been other pandemic scares, but they never got to the point of pandemic. The CDC and WHO have officially declared this a pandemic. H1N1 never got to pandemic level.

june 11, 2009 h1n1 was declared a global pandemic. This is overblown. I know what info you are talking, sounds like the Joe Rogan video, and I'm still of the mind (like many others, also in the medical community) who thinks this is an overreaction.

I haven't watched or listened to the Joe Rogan podcast yet, but the dude on it is the LEADING VIRAL INFECTION SCIENTIST in the country. I'll most definitely listen to him over a 37 year old dude that thinks it's funny to cough in public spaces cause it's 'edgy'.

So not wrong about h1n1 being a pandemic? That's what I figured.
Check this video to calm your soft, sensitive mind. Wasn't too harsh right, don't want to come off as "edgy", you know, what the internet nerds say these days.

User avatar
grumpysaddle
RealGM
Posts: 13,532
And1: 6,432
Joined: Feb 22, 2009
Location: San Diego
 

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#124 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:10 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:june 11, 2009 h1n1 was declared a global pandemic. This is overblown. I know what info you are talking, sounds like the Joe Rogan video, and I'm still of the mind (like many others, also in the medical community) who thinks this is an overreaction.

I haven't watched or listened to the Joe Rogan podcast yet, but the dude on it is the LEADING VIRAL INFECTION SCIENTIST in the country. I'll most definitely listen to him over a 37 year old dude that thinks it's funny to cough in public spaces cause it's 'edgy'.

So not wrong about h1n1 being a pandemic? That's what I figured.
Check this video to calm your soft, sensitive mind. Wasn't too harsh right, don't want to come off as "edgy", you know, what the internet nerds say these days.


My bad on the one point I got incorrect. H1N1 had a mortality rate of 0.02%, which is less than regular flus. Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 2-3%. That isn't an insignificant difference. That mortality rate will skyrocket if everyone gets infected in a very short period. The US and pretty much the rest of the world just does not have the hospital space/ventilators to deal with a rapid infection rate. That is the real danger. I will also take the word of the leading specialist in infectious diseases over some random doctor posting a youtube video.

Also, so **** edgy again with the "soft, sensitive mind" comment. Keep reminding people how ignorant you are though...
Image
User avatar
Frank Lee
RealGM
Posts: 10,364
And1: 4,626
Joined: Nov 07, 2006

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#125 » by Frank Lee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Hey Hollywood.... will you let us know the point you think this is not overblown?

I'm on guard for the next 3 weeks. I have 2 80 yr olds in the house*. But as the Grump says.... this thing blows up fast. Cant be too careful right? Or, I guess we could just Nunes our way through it?


* and one is NOT me... in before the geezer piling.
What ? Me Worry ?
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#126 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I haven't watched or listened to the Joe Rogan podcast yet, but the dude on it is the LEADING VIRAL INFECTION SCIENTIST in the country. I'll most definitely listen to him over a 37 year old dude that thinks it's funny to cough in public spaces cause it's 'edgy'.

So not wrong about h1n1 being a pandemic? That's what I figured.
Check this video to calm your soft, sensitive mind. Wasn't too harsh right, don't want to come off as "edgy", you know, what the internet nerds say these days.


My bad on the one point I got incorrect. H1N1 had a mortality rate of 0.02%, which is less than regular flus. Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 2-3%. That isn't an insignificant difference. That mortality rate will skyrocket if everyone gets infected in a very short period. The US and pretty much the rest of the world just does not have the hospital space/ventilators to deal with a rapid infection rate. That is the real danger. I will also take the word of the leading specialist in infectious diseases over some random doctor posting a youtube video.

Also, so **** edgy again with the "soft, sensitive mind" comment. Keep reminding people how ignorant you are though...

Please debate the post, not attack the poster.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#127 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:54 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I haven't watched or listened to the Joe Rogan podcast yet, but the dude on it is the LEADING VIRAL INFECTION SCIENTIST in the country. I'll most definitely listen to him over a 37 year old dude that thinks it's funny to cough in public spaces cause it's 'edgy'.

So not wrong about h1n1 being a pandemic? That's what I figured.
Check this video to calm your soft, sensitive mind. Wasn't too harsh right, don't want to come off as "edgy", you know, what the internet nerds say these days.


My bad on the one point I got incorrect. H1N1 had a mortality rate of 0.02%, which is less than regular flus. Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 2-3%. That isn't an insignificant difference. That mortality rate will skyrocket if everyone gets infected in a very short period. The US and pretty much the rest of the world just does not have the hospital space/ventilators to deal with a rapid infection rate. That is the real danger. I will also take the word of the leading specialist in infectious diseases over some random doctor posting a youtube video.

Also, so **** edgy again with the "soft, sensitive mind" comment. Keep reminding people how ignorant you are though...


Anyone who actually thinks like that, I don't care of their opinions haha. I've better things to do with my time.

They don't have any official numbers that are of reliability to claim up to 3.5%. Too many people untested with minor symptoms, hell even moderate to slightly severe. Let's be realistic.

This has not affected young children much at all, showing, in my opinion, that this is not a strong virus. At least not as strong as they have claimed in the mass media. And as far as a scientist on the Rogan podcast- He's fallible like anybody else. Just because he's a "scientist", doesn't mean he can't be in error in his personal reaction, which can certainly bleed over into his work. As far as the CDC youtube channel video of that one doctor? Sure, you could say the same. But there's many more like that, I just posted one. In my opinion, I think he's going to be a hell of a lot closer than the people on the other side of the fence (ie- you and some of the more vocal posters on here).
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#128 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Hey Hollywood.... will you let us know the point you think this is not overblown?

I'm on guard for the next 3 weeks. I have 2 80 yr olds in the house*. But as the Grump says.... this thing blows up fast. Cant be too careful right? Or, I guess we could just Nunes our way through it?


* and one is NOT me... in before the geezer piling.

Let me ask you Frank, since I have clearly stated my stance, at least in the most general terms. Do you think there has been no overreaction? You agree with everything that has been done and the media explosion and hype? Or do you have a drawn out plan that would be better? I tend to agree with the doctor in the video I linked.
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Veteran
Posts: 2,676
And1: 793
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#129 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Image
User avatar
grumpysaddle
RealGM
Posts: 13,532
And1: 6,432
Joined: Feb 22, 2009
Location: San Diego
 

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#130 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:44 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:So not wrong about h1n1 being a pandemic? That's what I figured.
Check this video to calm your soft, sensitive mind. Wasn't too harsh right, don't want to come off as "edgy", you know, what the internet nerds say these days.


My bad on the one point I got incorrect. H1N1 had a mortality rate of 0.02%, which is less than regular flus. Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 2-3%. That isn't an insignificant difference. That mortality rate will skyrocket if everyone gets infected in a very short period. The US and pretty much the rest of the world just does not have the hospital space/ventilators to deal with a rapid infection rate. That is the real danger. I will also take the word of the leading specialist in infectious diseases over some random doctor posting a youtube video.

Also, so **** edgy again with the "soft, sensitive mind" comment. Keep reminding people how ignorant you are though...

Please debate the post, not attack the poster.

I was unaware that calling out someone posting ignorant things ignorantly was a no-no. My apologies for trying to stop misinformation based on a "feeling" someone has.
Image
User avatar
grumpysaddle
RealGM
Posts: 13,532
And1: 6,432
Joined: Feb 22, 2009
Location: San Diego
 

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#131 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:48 am

Frank Lee wrote:Hey Hollywood.... will you let us know the point you think this is not overblown?

I'm on guard for the next 3 weeks. I have 2 80 yr olds in the house*. But as the Grump says.... this thing blows up fast. Cant be too careful right? Or, I guess we could just Nunes our way through it?


* and one is NOT me... in before the geezer piling.

I mean... He is the expert here on all things pandemic. Good luck today you and the octogenarians. Hopefully you are financially able to limit your, and in such their, exposure to this.

I also have underlying health concerns and no health insurance available through my work, so it obviously makes me a bit angry when people are selfishly underestimating this situation and doing their best to spread misinformation.
Image
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#132 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:03 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:My bad on the one point I got incorrect. H1N1 had a mortality rate of 0.02%, which is less than regular flus. Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 2-3%. That isn't an insignificant difference. That mortality rate will skyrocket if everyone gets infected in a very short period. The US and pretty much the rest of the world just does not have the hospital space/ventilators to deal with a rapid infection rate. That is the real danger. I will also take the word of the leading specialist in infectious diseases over some random doctor posting a youtube video.

Also, so **** edgy again with the "soft, sensitive mind" comment. Keep reminding people how ignorant you are though...

Please debate the post, not attack the poster.

I was unaware that calling out someone posting ignorant things ignorantly was a no-no. My apologies for trying to stop misinformation based on a "feeling" someone has.

Those are the forum rules. There are other ways to stop the spread of misinformation without attacking the poster
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
Posts: 4,952
And1: 4,210
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
   

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#133 » by MrMiyagi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:05 am

Frank Lee wrote:Hey Hollywood.... will you let us know the point you think this is not overblown?

I'm on guard for the next 3 weeks. I have 2 80 yr olds in the house*. But as the Grump says.... this thing blows up fast. Cant be too careful right? Or, I guess we could just Nunes our way through it?


* and one is NOT me... in before the geezer piling.

There's no pleasing doubters in this situation. If we are successful in containing the spread of this thing, they'll say "see not even that many people got sick and died!" If we don't then everyone gets sick and fit hits the shan.
User avatar
grumpysaddle
RealGM
Posts: 13,532
And1: 6,432
Joined: Feb 22, 2009
Location: San Diego
 

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#134 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:17 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Please debate the post, not attack the poster.

I was unaware that calling out someone posting ignorant things ignorantly was a no-no. My apologies for trying to stop misinformation based on a "feeling" someone has.

Those are the forum rules. There are other ways to stop the spread of misinformation without attacking the poster

Still not seeing how pointing out someone's ignorance is a personal attack, but it's all good. Been meaning to add that dude to the foes list for a while anyway. Also, think I have enough history here to have the benefit of the doubt when I've literally never personally attacked another user. Pretty sure I've seen him do it before though, but not interested enough to find examples.
Image
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#135 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:25 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I was unaware that calling out someone posting ignorant things ignorantly was a no-no. My apologies for trying to stop misinformation based on a "feeling" someone has.

Those are the forum rules. There are other ways to stop the spread of misinformation without attacking the poster

Still not seeing how pointing out someone's ignorance is a personal attack, but it's all good. Been meaning to add that dude to the foes list for a while anyway. Also, think I have enough history here to have the benefit of the doubt when I've literally never personally attacked another user. Pretty sure I've seen him do it before though, but not interested enough to find examples.

You do and that's why there's no formal warning or anything. Just reminding you of the rules so you don't keep going down that path and get yourself suspended. If he's not someone you want to keep dealing with then the foe list is certainly a great feature on realGM :nod:
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#136 » by hollywood6964 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I was unaware that calling out someone posting ignorant things ignorantly was a no-no. My apologies for trying to stop misinformation based on a "feeling" someone has.

Those are the forum rules. There are other ways to stop the spread of misinformation without attacking the poster

Still not seeing how pointing out someone's ignorance is a personal attack, but it's all good. Been meaning to add that dude to the foes list for a while anyway. Also, think I have enough history here to have the benefit of the doubt when I've literally never personally attacked another user. Pretty sure I've seen him do it before though, but not interested enough to find examples.

Do me a favor and please do. You say you haven't attacked anyone? But an sure I did? In fact you have, me (likely amongst others). When there was a subject brought up about issues, I brought up men's issues and how they are ignored. You then started with the insults because you disagreed, with no backing data (because there wouldn't be), I believe I took the high road on that one, if it can be located. This was late last year, I think. BW then told us to take it to general board n the subject got dropped.

So don't point the attacking finger at me. Haha, this is such a joke. No misinformation has been spread on my part, I'm giving my opinion on a clearly liberal, bleeding heart forum, that happens to be a suns forum. Let's not mistake this to be it's own little universe, there are many other places where the prevailing opinions here would be squashed by many knowledgeable people who would side with my take. But I'm ok with the opposition. Even if it's been on the disrespectful side.

But please, anyone who cannot stand an opinion that doesn't match their own, and can only insult and innuendo as a result, and not reasonably debate, I implore you, do me a favor and block away. My heart will not be broken, and I may just survive.
User avatar
Frank Lee
RealGM
Posts: 10,364
And1: 4,626
Joined: Nov 07, 2006

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#137 » by Frank Lee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:15 am

HWood.... take note on Miyag'is post above...

as for me and my plan / opinion ?

I think it should have been taken more seriously from the beginning, from the top down. Perhaps thats where the Global Pamdemic Response Team could have been very beneficial. You have to admit it was downplayed. The confusion of severity contributed to the public semi-hysteria. The reports from abroad confirmed the suspicions it was indeed serious. Then it certainly didnt help when the Trumpet is/was mugging up his pressers. That one at the CDC was just a beaut and reconfirmed to all of his non supporters that we very well could be woefully under prepared. When he followed that with a 'non answer dodgy not my fault' answer to the 'nasty NPR question' ... well, it looked like his khakis were at his knees. His zombie monotone prompter address iced it for me. So when you say over blown, I think, at least with me, its more so lack of confidence in the Blowharder in Chief.


so, I'm going with the ShanFit expectations and hope for the best..... seems like the only thing that may slow this down is a quickly rushed through vaccine. Saw a report that 10 days ago, Italy had 250 cases...and now they have 25K. Its hard to say how widespread it is here, as we have been most slack on testing. I suppose that's where the big bungle was. And we are much too arrogant to adopt a working model like in SKorea. We're just going to have to let nature run its course.
What ? Me Worry ?
hollywood6964
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,396
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#138 » by hollywood6964 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:00 am

Frank Lee wrote:HWood.... take note on Miyag'is post above...

as for me and my plan / opinion ?

I think it should have been taken more seriously from the beginning, from the top down. Perhaps thats where the Global Pamdemic Response Team could have been very beneficial. You have to admit it was downplayed. The confusion of severity contributed to the public semi-hysteria. The reports from abroad confirmed the suspicions it was indeed serious. Then it certainly didnt help when the Trumpet is/was mugging up his pressers. That one at the CDC was just a beaut and reconfirmed to all of his non supporters that we very well could be woefully under prepared. When he followed that with a 'non answer dodgy not my fault' answer to the 'nasty NPR question' ... well, it looked like his khakis were at his knees. His zombie monotone prompter address iced it for me. So when you say over blown, I think, at least with me, its more so lack of confidence in the Blowharder in Chief.


so, I'm going with the ShanFit expectations and hope for the best..... seems like the only thing that may slow this down is a quickly rushed through vaccine. Saw a report that 10 days ago, Italy had 250 cases...and now they have 25K. Its hard to say how widespread it is here, as we have been most slack on testing. I suppose that's where the big bungle was. And we are much too arrogant to adopt a working model like in SKorea. We're just going to have to let nature run its course.

I don't note it. Mostly because it's sarcastic in nature and wishes to have it both ways for "doubters" to be wrong.
If it gets real bad- see, you were all wrong and we were right!
If it doesn't and the #'s end up looking like a bad flu bug going around (yes people die, A LOT in # per year, especially a bad year, low in %), then it's, see we we still right! It's because the mighty band together and took extra isolate precautions, THAT'S the only reason why you looked right! But weren't!

It's a silly premise that I don't acknowledge. I don't due to the fact the no middle ground can be conceded from anyone who resides strictly on one side or the other.

Also to purport anyone knows true statistical numbers is a fallacy, they are estimated at best. Who is getting tested? Who wants to be quarantined? Who is getting low to virtually no symptoms but is still carrying? The #'s are grossly misrepresented, and to purport them as fact IS SPREADING MISINFORMATION. I've done nothing of the sort. We'll have to see how this ends up to even be close on the educated estimates.


See I mention the right and wrong thing, because this board is just a microcosm of the tug-o-war any problem, but this in particular causes. Case in point you mention Trump negatively, I take it you're a liberal. You really didn't answer my questions, fully, but went on a political rant, laced with the subject at hand.

My point is there can be a middle ground, like anything else. Yeah my first post had some sarcasm in it, but I guess on a message board where people don't know you, they can't get your personal nuance. But of no matter, for I've expounded, clarified, and even posted a CDC youtube video of a doctors opinion on the subject, which I stated pretty much matched my own. I think my position is absolutely fair and reasonable, yet because there is political overtones involved, it has to be insulted and hive mindedly attacked by the liberal view, because I'm not leaned up against the wall one their side. I'm not either, I'm a centrist, so I've never gotten the stiff back-boned loyalty to one side or the other. I look at things from a clear lens, and form an opinion. Like I said, the video I posted. If anyone cannot see that position is level-headed and fair-minded, I just don't think a clear thought process is being employed, instead a I hate Trump and fierce Liberal view of the issue is being employed, blindly. Which I cannot get with, on virtually any subject.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#139 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:30 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:HWood.... take note on Miyag'is post above...

as for me and my plan / opinion ?

I think it should have been taken more seriously from the beginning, from the top down. Perhaps thats where the Global Pamdemic Response Team could have been very beneficial. You have to admit it was downplayed. The confusion of severity contributed to the public semi-hysteria. The reports from abroad confirmed the suspicions it was indeed serious. Then it certainly didnt help when the Trumpet is/was mugging up his pressers. That one at the CDC was just a beaut and reconfirmed to all of his non supporters that we very well could be woefully under prepared. When he followed that with a 'non answer dodgy not my fault' answer to the 'nasty NPR question' ... well, it looked like his khakis were at his knees. His zombie monotone prompter address iced it for me. So when you say over blown, I think, at least with me, its more so lack of confidence in the Blowharder in Chief.


so, I'm going with the ShanFit expectations and hope for the best..... seems like the only thing that may slow this down is a quickly rushed through vaccine. Saw a report that 10 days ago, Italy had 250 cases...and now they have 25K. Its hard to say how widespread it is here, as we have been most slack on testing. I suppose that's where the big bungle was. And we are much too arrogant to adopt a working model like in SKorea. We're just going to have to let nature run its course.

I don't note it. Mostly because it's sarcastic in nature and wishes to have it both ways for "doubters" to be wrong.
If it gets real bad- see, you were all wrong and we were right!
If it doesn't and the #'s end up looking like a bad flu bug going around (yes people die, A LOT in # per year, especially a bad year, low in %), then it's, see we we still right! It's because the mighty band together and took extra isolate precautions, THAT'S the only reason why you looked right! But weren't!

It's a silly premise that I don't acknowledge. I don't due to the fact the no middle ground can be conceded from anyone who resides strictly on one side or the other.

Also to purport anyone knows true statistical numbers is a fallacy, they are estimated at best. Who is getting tested? Who wants to be quarantined? Who is getting low to virtually no symptoms but is still carrying? The #'s are grossly misrepresented, and to purport them as fact IS SPREADING MISINFORMATION. I've done nothing of the sort. We'll have to see how this ends up to even be close on the educated estimates.


See I mention the right and wrong thing, because this board is just a microcosm of the tug-o-war any problem, but this in particular causes. Case in point you mention Trump negatively, I take it you're a liberal. You really didn't answer my questions, fully, but went on a political rant, laced with the subject at hand.

My point is there can be a middle ground, like anything else. Yeah my first post had some sarcasm in it, but I guess on a message board where people don't know you, they can't get your personal nuance. But of no matter, for I've expounded, clarified, and even posted a CDC youtube video of a doctors opinion on the subject, which I stated pretty much matched my own. I think my position is absolutely fair and reasonable, yet because there is political overtones involved, it has to be insulted and hive mindedly attacked by the liberal view, because I'm not leaned up against the wall one their side. I'm not either, I'm a centrist, so I've never gotten the stiff back-boned loyalty to one side or the other. I look at things from a clear lens, and form an opinion. Like I said, the video I posted. If anyone cannot see that position is level-headed and fair-minded, I just don't think a clear thought process is being employed, instead a I hate Trump and fierce Liberal view of the issue is being employed, blindly. Which I cannot get with, on virtually any subject.

The one with the family doctor giving his opinion?
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
Posts: 4,952
And1: 4,210
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
   

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#140 » by MrMiyagi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:44 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:HWood.... take note on Miyag'is post above...

as for me and my plan / opinion ?

I think it should have been taken more seriously from the beginning, from the top down. Perhaps thats where the Global Pamdemic Response Team could have been very beneficial. You have to admit it was downplayed. The confusion of severity contributed to the public semi-hysteria. The reports from abroad confirmed the suspicions it was indeed serious. Then it certainly didnt help when the Trumpet is/was mugging up his pressers. That one at the CDC was just a beaut and reconfirmed to all of his non supporters that we very well could be woefully under prepared. When he followed that with a 'non answer dodgy not my fault' answer to the 'nasty NPR question' ... well, it looked like his khakis were at his knees. His zombie monotone prompter address iced it for me. So when you say over blown, I think, at least with me, its more so lack of confidence in the Blowharder in Chief.


so, I'm going with the ShanFit expectations and hope for the best..... seems like the only thing that may slow this down is a quickly rushed through vaccine. Saw a report that 10 days ago, Italy had 250 cases...and now they have 25K. Its hard to say how widespread it is here, as we have been most slack on testing. I suppose that's where the big bungle was. And we are much too arrogant to adopt a working model like in SKorea. We're just going to have to let nature run its course.

I don't note it. Mostly because it's sarcastic in nature and wishes to have it both ways for "doubters" to be wrong.
If it gets real bad- see, you were all wrong and we were right!
If it doesn't and the #'s end up looking like a bad flu bug going around (yes people die, A LOT in # per year, especially a bad year, low in %), then it's, see we we still right! It's because the mighty band together and took extra isolate precautions, THAT'S the only reason why you looked right! But weren't!

It's a silly premise that I don't acknowledge. I don't due to the fact the no middle ground can be conceded from anyone who resides strictly on one side or the other.

Also to purport anyone knows true statistical numbers is a fallacy, they are estimated at best. Who is getting tested? Who wants to be quarantined? Who is getting low to virtually no symptoms but is still carrying? The #'s are grossly misrepresented, and to purport them as fact IS SPREADING MISINFORMATION. I've done nothing of the sort. We'll have to see how this ends up to even be close on the educated estimates.


See I mention the right and wrong thing, because this board is just a microcosm of the tug-o-war any problem, but this in particular causes. Case in point you mention Trump negatively, I take it you're a liberal. You really didn't answer my questions, fully, but went on a political rant, laced with the subject at hand.

My point is there can be a middle ground, like anything else. Yeah my first post had some sarcasm in it, but I guess on a message board where people don't know you, they can't get your personal nuance. But of no matter, for I've expounded, clarified, and even posted a CDC youtube video of a doctors opinion on the subject, which I stated pretty much matched my own. I think my position is absolutely fair and reasonable, yet because there is political overtones involved, it has to be insulted and hive mindedly attacked by the liberal view, because I'm not leaned up against the wall one their side. I'm not either, I'm a centrist, so I've never gotten the stiff back-boned loyalty to one side or the other. I look at things from a clear lens, and form an opinion. Like I said, the video I posted. If anyone cannot see that position is level-headed and fair-minded, I just don't think a clear thought process is being employed, instead a I hate Trump and fierce Liberal view of the issue is being employed, blindly. Which I cannot get with, on virtually any subject.

You realize the numbers circulating are confirmed cases and confirmed deaths, right? So there are more people actually being affected and unreported rather than an inflated number of reports?

EDIT: And just for clarity, here was my initial response in the OT Current Events thread, pretty moderate I'd say, but this was also 11 days ago.
MrMiyagi wrote:Less hand shaking, more hand washing and, as you should always, cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze. Don't go out when you're sick (compromised immune system makes you more susceptible). Maybe carry around some hand sanitizer and go to less large public gatherings. There's not much else that you can really do as far as preventative measures. If stocking up on non-perishable foods and water makes you feel better, more power to you.

Healthcare providers should definitely be concerned and have plans in place to treat and quarantine patients, and there is a risk that given how contagious it is (cases seem to be arising exponentially) that hospitals can become overwhelmed (it's not uncommon for many hospitals to already be operating at or near capacity). They might need to convert vacant buildings into health centers, and ventilator shortages might arise due to severe cases.

I get that it's easy to lob criticisms at media coverage causing panic and sometimes they are definitely deserving of criticism, but at the same time, there is a real possibility hundreds of thousands and maybe even millions of people will die because of this if things get out of hand. That possibility needs to be taken seriously. You also might never meet anyone who has coronavirus. And here's the real kicker, both might be true. Just like the media needs to provide adequate context in their coverage, we need to adequately contextualize our own experience. For example, just because I didn't get Swine Flu and didn't know anyone who did doesn't mean that hundreds of millions didn't get sick and hundreds of thousands didn't die because of it. But I have seen people dismiss Coronavirus because "they said the same thing about Swine Flu!" Responding seriously to contagious illnesses is vital to public safety, and I personally would rather have an over-response than an under-response.

I get that for-profit media has it's own motives ($$$$$$), but at the same time we (people in general and sadly myself included) don't respond to moderate headlines, so the catch-22 becomes keep things copacetic and go unnoticed or go sensational and get noticed. I think this would be an issue even if profits weren't the motivating factor. It's just human nature. Respond to the impending threat, ignore all else.

Return to Phoenix Suns