NBA suspended indefinitely.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,616

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#21 » by schnakenpopanz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:Posted this on the GB: maybe it is important to read it here again.

The information about the spread rate/re infections status and herd immunity concerning Corona is not evaluated yet.
As far as I know we don't know how we can contain the virus from spreading in an exponential growth beside taking drastic measures (just like Italy tries)like limiting travels (what the NBA does regularly), stopping all social activities.
it is not only about the players. the media, the stuff, everyone around could be spreading the disease.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/social-distancing-coronavirus

so its not a simple task of test person xy and you are good. you just don't know enough about the virus yet to stop the outbreak and limit deaths and the effect on the whole health care system.

I think all teams should test everyone involved with who would be around the team and games, and then isolate whoever has it, then travel in their private jets, get in their private buses or whatever from the jets, and go straight inside the arenas and play. Without crowds. You obviously can't have fans because there will be people that have it, but once it is contained among players, they have their own sources of travel where they don't have to come into contact with anyone.

I guess the only thing I didn't think about was hotels, so that is the big problem...they'd have to sleep on the transportation vehicle probably.

The thing is, I bet with it canceled, there will still be as many players who pick it up (unless they all stay isolated) then if they traveled with precautions. Because I'm sure anywhere they go, they have people all over them.

you really think what you are proposing is realistic though?
i know it is a trillion dollar industry and not only the players are affected.
people working at the arenas, in the fan gear shops, at the parking lot etc. this will have a huge impact on the whole economy.
but you must take measure to save people in every kind of way.
free steve nash!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#22 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:18 am

schnakenpopanz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:Posted this on the GB: maybe it is important to read it here again.

The information about the spread rate/re infections status and herd immunity concerning Corona is not evaluated yet.
As far as I know we don't know how we can contain the virus from spreading in an exponential growth beside taking drastic measures (just like Italy tries)like limiting travels (what the NBA does regularly), stopping all social activities.
it is not only about the players. the media, the stuff, everyone around could be spreading the disease.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/social-distancing-coronavirus

so its not a simple task of test person xy and you are good. you just don't know enough about the virus yet to stop the outbreak and limit deaths and the effect on the whole health care system.

I think all teams should test everyone involved with who would be around the team and games, and then isolate whoever has it, then travel in their private jets, get in their private buses or whatever from the jets, and go straight inside the arenas and play. Without crowds. You obviously can't have fans because there will be people that have it, but once it is contained among players, they have their own sources of travel where they don't have to come into contact with anyone.

I guess the only thing I didn't think about was hotels, so that is the big problem...they'd have to sleep on the transportation vehicle probably.

The thing is, I bet with it canceled, there will still be as many players who pick it up (unless they all stay isolated) then if they traveled with precautions. Because I'm sure anywhere they go, they have people all over them.

people working at the arenas, in the fan gear shops, at the parking lot etc. this will have a huge impact on the whole economy.

Well, if they are suspending, it isn't realistic, but if everyone you have working has been tested, and you have a strict protocol, I think it's fine.

It really depends on how many have it. If a significant % of the NBA has it, then it should be suspended. If not, and people test negative, as long as those who do have it are quarantined, then I don't think it's a bigger risk for the negative people playing than if they were free to do what they wanted. I doubt everyone is going to lock themselves in their places. And when they go out, many players probably have tons of fans coming up to them all the time asking for autographs and stuff.

There are all sorts of businesses with far more people in close contact (then a basketball game in a huge arena with no crowd)..most offices have people close all day.

A ton of people, if not almost everyone, will get this virus. For people under 50, around 1 out of 400-500 will die, but that person will have likely had pre-existing conditions.

Now it's a big consideration for people over 70, because the death rates in the 70s are more like 8%, and in their 80s, almost double that, but those people should not be gooing anywhere.
schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,616

Post#23 » by schnakenpopanz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:23 am

true words. and exactly that high mortality rate among elder people is concerning.
free steve nash!
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#24 » by Kerrsed » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:26 am

Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#25 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:32 am

bwgood77 wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Well, if they are suspending, it isn't realistic, but if everyone you have working has been tested, and you have a strict protocol, I think it's fine.

It really depends on how many have it. If a significant % of the NBA has it, then it should be suspended. If not, and people test negative, as long as those who do have it are quarantined, then I don't think it's a bigger risk for the negative people playing than if they were free to do what they wanted. I doubt everyone is going to lock themselves in their places. And when they go out, many players probably have tons of fans coming up to them all the time asking for autographs and stuff.

There are all sorts of businesses with far more people in close contact (then a basketball game in a huge arena with no crowd)..most offices have people close all day.

A ton of people, if not almost everyone, will get this virus. For people under 50, around 1 out of 400-500 will die, but that person will have likely had pre-existing conditions.

Now it's a big consideration for people over 70, because the death rates in the 70s are more like 8%, and in their 80s, almost double that, but those people should not be gooing anywhere.

Moot point since it's already been suspended but you would have to test every time people come together because if you tested negative one day, it doesn't mean you won't test positive in a day, a few days or a week's time. And you have to do this with everyone that works in the arena. NBA stars might have the resources to isolate themselves and follow a strict protocol but not everyone can.

And there's no way we're wasting all these thousands of test kits just so a game can be played.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#26 » by El Hespiritu » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40 am

So far as I understand...

League won't start again 'til crisis is over.
Exceptis excipiendis they find soon some vaccination or reliable treatment, that means season is over.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#27 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:54 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:you really think what you are proposing is realistic though?

Moot point since it's already been suspended but you would have to test every time people come together because if you tested negative one day, it doesn't mean you won't test positive in a day, a few days or a week's time. And you have to do this with everyone that works in the arena. NBA stars might have the resources to isolate themselves and follow a strict protocol but not everyone can.

And there's no way we're wasting all these thousands of test kits just so a game can be played.

That's a good point, but the fact that it's just as likely that people catch it if they are not at work (unless everyone just self isolates) than if they go.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#28 » by Jdiddy701 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:What does everyone think about all the coronavirus talk in the NBA? Here’s my guess what happens... the NBA will suspend all remaining games. They will resume games in April/June and all teams will have a play in tournament for the playoffs. Suns have a healthy roster and win the championship.

Goodnight everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said this last night....

SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,364

Post#29 » by SuperSunsFan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 am

with our luck book and ayton have probably been infected.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#30 » by bigfoot » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:59 am

El Hespiritu wrote:I was just thinking....

Otakus, Himikomoris, anti-social Internet weebs....
... they have the optimal survival probabilities.

So I will bury all of you.

Just so long as you can grow and cook your own food. :D
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#31 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

That's a good point, but the fact that it's just as likely that people catch it if they are not at work (unless everyone just self isolates) than if they go.

I think it's more the case that when you have a major concentration of people that is outside of their regular routines, there's a chance that when those people who have come from different areas, some far away areas, they could bring the virus back to those areas which haven't been affected yet.

With NBA game, you could have tourists that's going to go to one city and then the next and then the next. You could have people in town for work that might have only been in close contact with a few handfuls of people had they not gone to a game who have not caught the virus and going back to where they live.

That's in addition to just having a massive concentration of people in one area which increase likeliness of infection.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#32 » by ATTL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:15 am

Here I am defending my 5 gallons of honey and 10 gallons of vodka from raiders
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by El Hespiritu » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:25 am

bigfoot wrote:
El Hespiritu wrote:I was just thinking....

Otakus, Himikomoris, anti-social Internet weebs....
... they have the optimal survival probabilities.

So I will bury all of you.

Just so long as you can grow and cook your own food. :D
As long as cocroaches and rats don't be affected, I owe an inexhaustible source of proteins (they procreate way faster than I can depredate them).

I just need to figure out the veggie stuff...

If mold is edible maybe I could get that covered too... I'll let you know.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#34 » by sunsbum » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:52 am

Isnt this basically at the point where it can be contained or stopped from being spread?
Flex is now your father.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#35 » by Flying Colors » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:01 am

I wonder what they are going to do for this season. I just don’t see them rescheduling every game left to be played at this point.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#36 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:01 am

sunsbum wrote:Isnt this basically at the point where it can be contained or stopped from being spread?

Based on what?
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#37 » by Jdiddy701 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:06 am

Flying Colors wrote:I wonder what they are going to do for this season. I just don’t see them rescheduling every game left to be played at this point.

I vote to have a tournament style to make the playoffs of all teams that have not clinched a playoff spot and teams that have not been eliminated. What they probably will do is keep the current seeding and start the playoffs but doesn’t seem fair for the teams who had a chance to get in. Should be very interesting and can be good news for us.

Imagine if they go tournament style in one-two months and Warriors and Nets have a healthy roster. We will be healthy too.

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by El Hespiritu » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:07 am

sunsbum wrote:Isnt this basically at the point where it can be contained or stopped from being spread?

For what I know about these sort of viruses, nope.
They can neither contain it nor stop it from spreading.

What they are doing is trying to ralentize the exponential growth of infections and minimize its impact.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#39 » by sunsbum » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:16 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

Based on what?

Im just wondering based on my perception of how flu's work. You can't stop a "normal flu" why do they think they can get a thumb on this "super flu"?
Flex is now your father.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#40 » by El Hespiritu » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:19 am

Am I lost in translation, Sunsbum? (it wouldn't be the first time)

I thought you were telling they CAN contain it.

Return to Phoenix Suns