Re: Basketball cards! 

Post#22 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:43 pm

bumped yolo
SlovenianDragon
Analyst
And1: 4,913

Post#23 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:56 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:There already was a thread about this but I couldn't find it, so I ask here.

Lately I read news headlines that people are selling basketball cards for crazy money. I remember that some of you are involved in this too. Can you educate me about what packs are worth to buy? I wanna get lucky and be able to sell something years later for big money! :D

So...Hobby boxes are really what you want but they are more expensive the one I listed in the OP that I bought for 650 is like 3400 now.

https://www.blowoutcards.com/sports-cards/basketball-cards/2019-20/2019-20-panini-prizm-basketball-hobby-box.html

A hobby box I like now because its cheaper is

https://www.blowoutcards.com/sports-cards/basketball-cards/2019-20/2019-20-panini-donruss-elite-basketball-hobby-box.html

Still 700 though.

Now you dont need to go hobby to get some big hits.

This is on the lower tier and a blaster box but can still find some hits

https://www.blowoutcards.com/sports-cards/basketball-cards/2019-20/2019-20-panini-nba-hoops-basketball-blaster-box.html

Get to rip open 11 packs and hope to get lucky. 160 bucks not to bad...

Ummm and other people had some great info up above. Im still learning a year into this.
SlovenianDragon
Analyst

Post#24 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:22 pm

Also would like to say if you dont have a large budget just buy individual rookie cards of players you think are going to have great nba careers.

I bought an autographed rookie cam J card for 30 bucks from a hobby box called noir that cost 2300 dollars and you only get 10 cards. So the seller obviously didnt like Cam and I did. So 30 bucks on that card is a steal for someone I think is going to have a great NBA career.

Any Rookies you like that arent already in the spot light you can invest in. And people are obviously selling low on them like the stocks. You can slowly build a collection. And always go after rookies. And you get to watch your stock play NBA! lol.

Just buy a good brand for the rookie you want while their price is low and hope it goes up.

Maybe a better answer to the question.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 41,404

Post#25 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:34 pm

I have TONS of cards and a huge Suns collection of basically every Sun, particularly the ones before 2011. But I also have Booker and Ayton rookie cards.
SlovenianDragon
Analyst

Post#26 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I have TONS of cards and a huge Suns collection of basically every Sun, particularly the ones before 2011. But I also have Booker and Ayton rookie cards.

You may have a gold mine.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#27 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I have TONS of cards and a huge Suns collection of basically every Sun, particularly the ones before 2011. But I also have Booker and Ayton rookie cards.

You may have a gold mine.

I bought someone's enormous collection of Suns cards about 5 years ago on ebay...it was only like $40-$60....there are a ton of the KJ years and then Barkley years and even a lot of the very early years.

I also got into the habit for awhile of going to Goodwill when they have auctions on Saturday because tons of older people leave old card collections and it's amazing what you will find in them. I found a bunch of framed mint cards in collections....of football players like Earl Campbell and stuff.

I try to avoid baseball cards but sometimes you don't know exactly what you are getting because they are in white boxes or books you can't look through.
ImNotMcDiSwear
Head Coach
And1: 4,892

Post#28 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:48 pm

Over the past couple years, I put together a collection that includes every mainline Suns card ever made up until like 1991, less some 1980-81 Topps triplets. I have a bunch of the cool 90s stuff - almost all the refractors (a couple Chucks and a Finley or two excluded).

I wasn't collecting in the 2000s. Looks like I didn't miss much. The jersey patch era misses me, though I was sure to pick up a bunch of Marion and Amare rookies. Obviously all the main Nash rookies (nothing special). Most of the Finleys, Barbosa base rookies. I had a ton of Ayton and Bridges but sold them. I think I have like, one decent Booker rookie left. I do have one killer Mikal Bridges - a Select courtside silver in great condition. Got plenty of ya boy Josh Jackson. Bought a bunch of Ty Jerome for pennies.

And then, when I thought I was done and just going to cash out and stop this madness... I tricked myself into spending thousands of dollars on ebay to create sets of 2019-20 Panini Illusions. Now, with a few obscure additions I would have like 10 base sets. I have all but 9 of the starlights (IMO, the most underrated card out there - there is a guy willing to sell the whole set on ebay right now for a grand, which I think is a bargain given the amount of effort and money it would take to create now). I have all the acetates in every color except gold /10, green /5 and purple /1. With just a few cards to go, I will have all of the other inserts as well (though not very many of the variations). I have four Bookers numbered to /10. A Harden emerald Mystique /5. Tons of sticker autos, base variations, and more.

WTF have I done??? I have no idea what I'm going to do with all this cardboard crack. We were supposed to re-do the bathroom!

Obviously, I am the absolute LAST person anyone should be asking advice of on this topic.
SlovenianDragon
Analyst

Post#29 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Over the past couple years, I put together a collection that includes every mainline Suns card ever made up until like 1991, less some 1980-81 Topps triplets. I have a bunch of the cool 90s stuff - almost all the refractors (a couple Chucks and a Finley or two excluded).

I wasn't collecting in the 2000s. Looks like I didn't miss much. The jersey patch era misses me, though I was sure to pick up a bunch of Marion and Amare rookies. Obviously all the main Nash rookies (nothing special). Most of the Finleys, Barbosa base rookies. I had a ton of Ayton and Bridges but sold them. I think I have like, one decent Booker rookie left. I do have one killer Mikal Bridges - a Select courtside silver in great condition. Got plenty of ya boy Josh Jackson. Bought a bunch of Ty Jerome for pennies.

And then, when I thought I was done and just going to cash out and stop this madness... I tricked myself into spending thousands of dollars on ebay to create sets of 2019-20 Panini Illusions. Now, with a few obscure additions I would have like 10 base sets. I have all but 9 of the starlights (IMO, the most underrated card out there - there is a guy willing to sell the whole set on ebay right now for a grand, which I think is a bargain given the amount of effort and money it would take to create now). I have all the acetates in every color except gold /10, green /5 and purple /1. With just a few cards to go, I will have all of the other inserts as well (though not very many of the variations). I have four Bookers numbered to /10. A Harden emerald Mystique /5. Tons of sticker autos, base variations, and more.

WTF have I done??? I have no idea what I'm going to do with all this cardboard crack. We were supposed to re-do the bathroom!

Obviously, I am the absolute LAST person anyone should be asking advice of on this topic.

So unfortunately one day you sell them. Its fun to collect at the time and like 5-10 years from now you cash out. GL soldier.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#30 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:26 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Over the past couple years, I put together a collection that includes every mainline Suns card ever made up until like 1991, less some 1980-81 Topps triplets. I have a bunch of the cool 90s stuff - almost all the refractors (a couple Chucks and a Finley or two excluded).

So unfortunately one day you sell them. Its fun to collect at the time and like 5-10 years from now you cash out. GL soldier.

Probably not...I'll probably give them to my nephew or something.
SlovenianDragon
Analyst

Post#31 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:29 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:

Probably not...I'll probably give them to my nephew or something.

I mean if any of them are valuable now is a a sell time for the older ones. Depending what you got and how much money you get you could do alot for him! But if they aren't worth much he would definitely enjoy them!
sasquatchBob
Junior
And1: 803

Post#32 » by sasquatchBob » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:00 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:Also would like to say if you dont have a large budget just buy individual rookie cards of players you think are going to have great nba careers.

I bought an autographed rookie cam J card for 30 bucks from a hobby box called noir that cost 2300 dollars and you only get 10 cards. So the seller obviously didnt like Cam and I did. So 30 bucks on that card is a steal for someone I think is going to have a great NBA career.

Any Rookies you like that arent already in the spot light you can invest in. And people are obviously selling low on them like the stocks. You can slowly build a collection. And always go after rookies. And you get to watch your stock play NBA! lol.

Just buy a good brand for the rookie you want while their price is low and hope it goes up.

Is it pretty much only rookie cards that sell for high? This is what I've been hearing. Everyone talking about rookie cards.

Where do you buy/sell single cards? Ebay? Or there's some other site that's better?
SlovenianDragon
Analyst

Post#33 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:10 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:Also would like to say if you dont have a large budget just buy individual rookie cards of players you think are going to have great nba careers.

Is it pretty much only rookie cards that sell for high? This is what I've been hearing. Everyone talking about rookie cards.

Where do you buy/sell single cards? Ebay? Or there's some other site that's better?

So theres different versions of cards. A basic LeBron prizm can be like 30 bucks. Because people collect big players. Now like a rare version of that card can be like 100-1000. Rookies usually have the most value. There are all kind of tiers.

For instance I have this AD card:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233748751654?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=233748751654&targetid=1092482911194&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9030071&poi=&campaignid=11616960427&mkgroupid=113550973135&rlsatarget=pla-1092482911194&abcId=9300455&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_F83KEiVSRzuzn5hyYPfe4_jA11KzZ-ga_aH5H_ViKWayY-6cy9sbcaAhBLEALw_wcB

and yeah Ebay is the way to go imo and make sure they are a reputable buyer and are located in the US
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#34 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:25 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:

I bought them on ebay. But the best place obviously is to buy unopened sets or packs right now and get rookies at the price they sell at the store...of course then you are just hoping your cards turn into great players.

I just looked on ebay though....and found a ton of great cards just buying people's complete collections at Goodwill. I'm talking about a lot of old ones in this case..probably people who collected them 20-30 years ago and had them boxed in a closet or something and just took them to Goodwill not caring what cards were there.
SlovenianDragon
Analyst

Post#35 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sasquatchBob wrote:

I bought them on ebay. But the best place obviously is to buy unopened sets or packs right now and get rookies at the price they sell at the store...of course then you are just hoping your cards turn into great players.

I just looked on ebay though....and found a ton of great cards just buying people's complete collections at Goodwill. I'm talking about a lot of old ones in this case..probably people who collected them 20-30 years ago and had them boxed in a closet or something and just took them to Goodwill not caring what cards were there.

Just be careful with the older cards because some of them could be worth zero. They started pumping out cards at some point. The reason the cards they make now are valuable is because they will make rare versions numbered versions autos jeresey cards...all kind of things that creates depth.

So a box of old cards could be worth the box you got them in or has some gems in it. And if you get a gem because people dont know what they are selling then yeah you will make bank.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:33 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sasquatchBob wrote:

Just be careful with the older cards because some of them could be worth zero. They started pumping out cards at some point. The reason the cards they make now are valuable is because they will make rare versions numbered versions autos jeresey cards...all kind of things that creates depth.

So a box of old cards could be worth the box you got them in or has some gems in it. And if you get a gem because people dont know what they are selling then yeah you will make bank.

Older cards are more rare though because a lot of them are probably not even on the market, or in some attic. And there were only 3 companies making cards...Topps, Fleer and Donruss.

Now you are right, there are a ton of companies only making a few, but at some point it's still over saturation. There may be really valuable ones, but you will have to pay a high price to begin with to get them anyway, so even if they go up, it's not that much.

I don't really collect for money though. If I was serious about making money buying and selling things I'd probably invest in other things besides cards.

I don't spend that much money on them..either find cheap stuff on ebay...I haven't looked in a couple years though..if prices are high I just wouldn't buy.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,258

Post#37 » by TASTIC » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 pm

Jump on 130 point sales and see the last sold prices on eBay.

I got my old collection out over lockdown last year and now I'm right back into it again, heaps of fun. So expensive for the new packs/boxes, I just go on eBay for the most part and pick and choose for my personal collections...

Return to Phoenix Suns