ImageImageImage

Scrimmage 3 : Toronto Raptors @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 07/28/20, 12:00PM PT

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Re: Scrimmage 3 : Toronto Raptors @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 07/28/20, 12:00PM PT 

Post#61 » by NapoleonII » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:41 am

Ayton's defense looked better than Boston's.

He altered a lot of shots and had quite a few deflections.
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#62 » by Mjee » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:25 am

Mikal Bridges .... wow

This kid looks Phoenominal after the covid break ... I am excited to see how he performs when the games count!!

Maybe Kelly out will be a blessing in disguise
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#63 » by PharmD » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:34 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:Surprised nobody is talking about how meh Deandre Ayton has looked these first 3 games. He’s looked lost out there and not doing the things he has been doing on defense before the season paused. He was okay vs Utah but I expect him to do so much more. I expect him to turn it up when the season resumes.

https://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=1&GameID=0011900129&GameEventID=398&Season=2019-20&title=MISS%20Ayton%2015%27%20Step%20Back%20Jump%20Shot&sct=plot

I kind of feel like nobody ever taught him how to postup. Look at where he seals Gasol (awesome) to how easily the gets pushed 3 feet further away while catching the pass. Then his instinct is to find a midrange shot.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#64 » by RedIndian » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:59 am

Ayton had one nice play where he put the ball on the perimeter and took it took the rack.

On the whole, he's been a bit meh especially since we heard so much about the work he'd been putting in. He's generally a slow starter though, so hopefully he gets it by the time these 8 games start. Monty also needs to use him in some pick and roll action with Booker.

I like the idea of a motion offense that Monty tries to implement, and it suits the likes of Rubio, Booker, Mikal, Cam who're all high IQ players and move the ball well. But ultimately, we don't have enough shot creators or shooters in the squad to run a very high level motion offense. This is especially a problem in crunch time.

Need to develop a few staple offensive plays that can be run time and again when defenses tighten. Particularly, the Booker-Ayton PnR. If that doesn't ever develop, I'm not sure what the upside of this team is?
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#65 » by Mr Puddles » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:41 am

Another solid victory for the mighty Phoenix Suns.

Bow before your overlords Toronto Raptors, you have just been scourged by the flames of Los Sols.

Eight more games and we'll be feasting on the sweet nectar of playoff glory.
Spoiler:
sunstrooper
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#66 » by sunstrooper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:07 am

We enjoyed fair officiating in the 3 scrimmages. That won't be the case from Friday onwards. Just hope the guys keep their heads up, play their game and give their all.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#67 » by LesGrossman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 am

Ayton looked bad but that was partly to him not being routinely involved in the offense. Too guard heavy, 3pt heaving, or sometimes forcing lobs inside to him that were just not a good decision. Its not like he played poorly, it was more by design imho. You cant ignore him for most of the game and then expect him to explode on demand.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#68 » by sunsbg » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 am

LesGrossman wrote:Ayton looked bad but that was partly to him not being routinely involved in the offense. Too guard heavy, 3pt heaving, or sometimes forcing lobs inside to him that were just not a good decision. Its not like he played poorly, it was more by design imho. You cant ignore him for most of the game and then expect him to explode on demand.

Yeah, his drive from 3pt line was some indication of frustration not being given enough opportunities. His other score early was after a put-back. Needs to learn how to at least draw a foul when forced in a bad situation instead of getting blocked, which occurs too often for someone considered a great athlete and talent.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,823

Post#69 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:35 am

sunsbg wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:Ayton looked bad but that was partly to him not being routinely involved in the offense. Too guard heavy, 3pt heaving, or sometimes forcing lobs inside to him that were just not a good decision. Its not like he played poorly, it was more by design imho. You cant ignore him for most of the game and then expect him to explode on demand.

Yeah, his drive from 3pt line was some indication of frustration not being given enough opportunities. His other score early was after a put-back. Needs to learn how to at least draw a foul when forced in a bad situation instead of getting blocked, which occurs too often for someone considered a great athlete and talent.

I think he is pretty comfortable with a secondary role on offense, it's not in his nature to be the go-to guy. That is why having a player like Booker next to him can be great for both and the future of the team.

He played OK against Utah and Boston, but he definitely played poorly against the Raptors. But we need to remember that the Raptors have probably the best defensive frontcourt in the league....Anunoby, Siakam, Boucher, Ibaka and Marc Gasol. That the best competition that Ayton will face around the league, so it's not a surprise that he played a bad overall game.

The biggest problem for Ayton is his average motor. He doesn't have a high motor like his idol K. Garnett, and that's why he looks passive sometimes out there. Not sure if that can be improved, hopefully he can be more active game in and game out with better conditioning and a bit more aggressive mindset.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#70 » by LesGrossman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

I think he is pretty comfortable with a secondary role on offense, it's not in his nature to be the go-to guy. That is why having a player like Booker next to him can be great for both and the future of the team.

I disagree. The talent is there and the rest can be learned. He isnt a natural go-to guy but then Booker isnt one either but thinks he is, which is worse. The early Kawhi Leonard looked much more timid and hestitating than Ayton and look what good hard work made of him.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#71 » by GoodBehavior » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:31 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

I disagree. The talent is there and the rest can be learned. He isnt a natural go-to guy but then Booker isnt one either but thinks he is, which is worse. The early Kawhi Leonard looked much more timid and hestitating than Ayton and look what good hard work made of him.

It just scrimmage, people are reading too much into it. Love what I saw in Bridges and Cam, but I doubt they're going to be the team's offensive cornerstone. I would be happy if Bridges is a net positive on offense. Book and DA has looked underwhelming, for all three games frankly. Again, it's just like "preseason." I doubt that's going to continue. PNR looks bad, which I highly doubt will continue. They'll turn up the dial when it counts.

Book is Book and his style of play is what it is. I don't think we learn anything new. With DA, his 3 point shot looks legit and his driving game (through moderate traffic) is very encouraging. I don't think he's there yet, but it's coming.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#72 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:36 pm

darealjuice wrote:I'm really curious to see if Mikal keeps this play up when it counts. His confidence on offense is on a completely different level from what we've seen. He went from being almost exclusively scoring off of spot-up and cutting to putting the ball on the floor and hitting hanging lay-ups with english on the ball, floaters, and tough pull-ups basically over quarantine. He's not going to shoot this well every night, but he's been impressive.

I think the ball has been moving better in these scrimmages....in part due to Oubre. I think he will defer quite a bit if Oubre comes back and they play together. Which would kind of suck since Bridges is a much more efficient scorer so it gives us more separation with other teams when we have the lead (or less separation if we are trailing).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#73 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Revived wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
PharmD wrote:Frank has good size, is very mobile, can shoot and pass. Yet he manages to suck because he **** **** up so often. Very frustrating and I'm a Wisconsin grad.

Good enough for $5M per year.

Eh I think the Suns can retain him for the vet min. Luke Kornet is making less than half of that and on a 2 yr deal. Comparable player to Kaminsky imo. When Meyers Leonard hits free agency again, he will probably get something similar to Kornet’s deal as well.

No, they really can't...their team option is $5 million.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#74 » by bigfoot » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:I'm really curious to see if Mikal keeps this play up when it counts. His confidence on offense is on a completely different level from what we've seen. He went from being almost exclusively scoring off of spot-up and cutting to putting the ball on the floor and hitting hanging lay-ups with english on the ball, floaters, and tough pull-ups basically over quarantine. He's not going to shoot this well every night, but he's been impressive.

I think the ball has been moving better in these scrimmages....in part due to Oubre. I think he will defer quite a bit if Oubre comes back and they play together. Which would kind of suck since Bridges is a much more efficient scorer so it gives us more separation with other teams when we have the lead (or less separation if we are trailing).

Definitely agree with the ball movement being better. If Oubre comes back I would prefer to see him come off the bench as a sixth man. He can take all the shots then since we really don't have any bench players that can get buckets by themselves.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#75 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 pm

bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Definitely agree with the ball movement being better. If Oubre comes back I would prefer to see him come off the bench as a sixth man. He can take all the shots then since we really don't have any bench players that can get buckets by themselves.

Yeah, we talked a lot about that during the season, because we need that firepower off the bench. He seems like a guy where starting would be important to him. I like Cam better in the starting unit...a genuine elite 3 pt threat, high iq, smart player.

As people say, no real need to get rid of Oubre, but there are likely more factors in play like future contract negotiations/expectations, management of the salary cap, etc.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#76 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:04 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, we talked a lot about that during the season, because we need that firepower off the bench. He seems like a guy where starting would be important to him. I like Cam better in the starting unit...a genuine elite 3 pt threat, high iq, smart player.

As people say, no real need to get rid of Oubre, but there are likely more factors in play like future contract negotiations/expectations, management of the salary cap, etc.
One challenge with oubre to the bench was he was much much better playing with Rubio than when Rubio was off the floor.

After this scrimmage I hope they start Cam at the 4 even when Saric gets healthy. He might look like a whole different player getting to run with Rubio and with the attention Booker gets. I'd like them to explore that more and who knows maybe he's actually a better fit than Kelly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#77 » by Revived » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:13 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Good enough for $5M per year.

Eh I think the Suns can retain him for the vet min. Luke Kornet is making less than half of that and on a 2 yr deal. Comparable player to Kaminsky imo. When Meyers Leonard hits free agency again, he will probably get something similar to Kornet’s deal as well.

Did they already pick it up? I figured they could decline the team option and bring him back on a cheaper contract.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#78 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:Eh I think the Suns can retain him for the vet min. Luke Kornet is making less than half of that and on a 2 yr deal. Comparable player to Kaminsky imo. When Meyers Leonard hits free agency again, he will probably get something similar to Kornet’s deal as well.

Did they already pick it up? I figured they could decline the team option and bring him back on a cheaper contract.

I thought about that when replying, and perhaps it's possible, but if we were working over the cap, it would probably have to be a minimum...but it might not be allowed either. He obviously could at least then look for a better deal with other teams though.

Return to Phoenix Suns