ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#2501 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:24 am

I'd try to get Barrett or Covington. Barrett had a bad year but the upside is still there. I never saw him as a can't miss guy but he's worth a flier if Houston didn't want him for whatever reason.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#2502 » by Kerrsed » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Hey Kerrsed! It appears the national media likes your trade idea with New York and Houston. And is running with it! :lol:
Question is, How van we possibly get in on this to add value, And perhaps get an asset ( 8th pick) and an additional player back?

https://www.inquisitr.com/6342850/knicks-trade-barrett-ntilikina-picks-rockets-russell-westbrook/

NBA Rumors: Knicks Could Trade RJ Barrett, Frank Ntilikina & 1st-Round Picks To Rockets For Russell Westbrook

I'd offer to send Oubre/ Kaminsky/ 10th pick to Houston as a 3rd team facilitator for Covington/ 8th pick. Or if they refuse to part with Covington, Then Maybe Tucker/ 8th/ 27th pick perhaps.

That wasnt mine! Mine was Westbrook/Covington to the Clippers for George/PatBev.

As for getting involved in a HOU/NYK trade, i dont know about taking on Covington. I mean he had a green light in Houston and shot worse than Oubre. Their defense was pretty even with each other. I dont know if a 29 year old Covington is really an upgrade over 24 year old Oubre at this point. Now i do like Tucker, and would love to see him next to Bridges, i just dont know what it would take (Im probably one of the only guys around besides you that would be more than fine snagging another pick or two and using them as cheap bodies). As for NY, i have no idea what they can really offer HOU. Despite what people think, Westbrook is still an absolute stud, a superstar player. All NY has is a handful of trash players. Nobody good. I wouldnt want anybody from the Knicks on our team. I dont see anyway that a Rockets/Knicks deal is made. Knicks only hope is to rebuild through the draft, sign GOOD FA, and maybe take a shot on a star player on a bad bad contract.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,245

Post#2503 » by King4Day » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,631

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Sp.eculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#2504 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:50 pm

AtheJ415 wrote:I'd try to get Barrett or Covington. Barrett had a bad year but the upside is still there. I never saw him as a can't miss guy but he's worth a flier if Houston didn't want him for whatever reason.

Another extensive trade idea:

Spoiler:
As mentioned before in a previous post, I would love to see if we can somehow get in on such a trade as a 3rd team facilitator,Adding value, In order to get some assets/ veteran players back. I can see this possibly happening in one of two ways:

1-Phoenix/New York/ Houston
https://tradenba.com/trades/s2rS2XJRO

- Phoenix gets Tucker/ Ellington/ 8th pick (New York).
- New York gets Westbrook/ Oubre/ Jerome ( New York prodigy).
- Houston gets Gibson/ Randle/Kaminsky/ Nitkilina/ 10th pick (Phoenix)/ Dallas 2021 unprotected first (New York).
** All incoming players are expiring deals, giving them 39.5 million ( Max slot) in cap space for 2021 free agency! And they get under the tax line this summer, Which is nice for their owner Fertitta. :wink:

OR

2- Phoenix/Houston/New York/Brooklyn
https://tradenba.com/trades/Jr5qPKhEb

-Phoenix gets Ellington/ Payton/ Claxton/ 8th pick (New York)/ 19th pick ( Brooklyn).
** Post trade, Phoenix also has around 25 million in cap space this summer ( only 5 million IF we bring back both Saric AND Baynes at their cap holds). Around 18-21 million IF we renounce Baynes cap hold, And then bring back Saric at around 8 million. Then renounce or decline Okobo, Diallo, Owens.

8-Draft one of Toppin/ Vassell/ Hayes/ Lewis.
19-Draft one of Tyler Bey/ Desmond Bane/Jalen Smith/ Paul Reed/ Daniel Oturu?
- New York gets Westbrook/ Oubre/Jerome ( New York- Iona Prep prodigy)/2023 first round pick (protections to be determined).
- Houston gets Gibson/ Randall/ Levert/Nitkilina/ 10th pick (Phoenix)/ Dallas 2021 unprotected first. Houston also gets slightlybelow the luxury tax with this trade, And since all of the incoming players are expiring deals, They'll also have around 53 million in cap space for free agency. :o (That's a pretty nice return for Westbrook honestly)!! And an expedited rebuild.
- Brooklyn gets Robert Covington whose an awesome defensive compliment to all their scorers in Durant, Irving, Harris. They also get under the luxury tax line. And Covington is much better than any player they could of added at 19 anyways. **They could still look to package Dinwiddie now for additional cap space, And more shooting/ Play making if they so choose? Maybe to Detroit for Kennard ( 5 million in savings)? Or maybe with Prince to New Orleans along with a 2021 first for Holiday? Point is they'll have options, And can still resign Harris easier too now! :nod:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2505 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:12 pm

https://arizonasports.com/story/2430121/suns-frank-kaminsky-prideful-of-playmaking-growth-hopes-to-return/

Suns’ Frank Kaminsky prideful of playmaking growth, hopes to return

BY KEVIN ZIMMERMAN
OCTOBER 21, 2020 AT 11:48 AM
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2506 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:28 pm

Well this truly sucks if true! :-? :-?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dknation.draftkings.com/platform/amp/nba/2020/10/21/21526648/nba-offseason-2020-free-agency-rumors-draft-tracker-news-updates

Oct. 20 — The Miami Heat are expected to pursue potential free agent Jerami Grant this offseason, per the Miami Herald. Grant has a player option with the Denver Nuggets worth $9.3 million. He could turn that down and seek a bigger deal.

The Heat are expected to part ways with Derrick Jones Jr., who is an unrestricted free agent. Airplane Mode lost his role with the team after the Heat acquired Andre Iguodala and Jae Crowder, plus the emergence of Kendrick Nunn, Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro. Jones has reportedly drawn interest from the Chicago Bulls initially.

So next up on the list is?????? :dontknow:
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#2507 » by JDLAW » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:36 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:I'd try to get Barrett or Covington. Barrett had a bad year but the upside is still there. I never saw him as a can't miss guy but he's worth a flier if Houston didn't want him for whatever reason.

As mentioned before in a previous post, I would love to see if we can somehow get in on such a trade as a 3rd team facilitator,Adding value, In order to get some assets/ veteran players back. I can see this possibly happening in one of two ways:

- Houston gets Gibson/ Randle/Kaminsky/ Nitkilina/ 10th pick (Phoenix)/ Dallas 2021 unprotected first (New York).
** All incoming players are expiring deals, giving them 39.5 million ( Max slot) in cap space for 2021 free agency! And they get under the tax line this summer, Which is nice for their owner Fertitta. :wink:

OR

-Phoenix gets Ellington/ Payton/ Claxton/ 8th pick (New York)/ 19th pick ( Brooklyn).
** Post trade, Phoenix also has around 25 million in cap space this summer ( only 5 million IF we bring back both Saric AND Baynes at their cap holds). Around 18-21 million IF we renounce Baynes cap hold, And then bring back Saric at around 8 million. Then renounce or decline Okobo, Diallo, Owens.

- New York gets Westbrook/ Oubre/Jerome ( New York- Iona Prep prodigy)/2023 first round pick (protections to be determined).
- Houston gets Gibson/ Randall/ Levert/Nitkilina/ 10th pick (Phoenix)/ Dallas 2021 unprotected first. Houston also gets slightlybelow the luxury tax with this trade, And since all of the incoming players are expiring deals, They'll also have around 53 million in cap space for free agency. :o (That's a pretty nice return for Westbrook honestly)!! And an expedited rebuild.
- Brooklyn gets Robert Covington whose an awesome defensive compliment to all their scorers in Durant, Irving, Harris. They also get under the luxury tax line. And Covington is much better than any player they could of added at 19 anyways. **They could still look to package Dinwiddie now for additional cap space, And more shooting/ Play making if they so choose? Maybe to Detroit for Kennard ( 5 million in savings)? Or maybe with Prince to New Orleans along with a 2021 first for Holiday? Point is they'll have options, And can still resign Harris easier too now! :nod:

These are terrible trades and don't make the Suns any better. In fact these trades take us backwards.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2508 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:50 am

JDLAW wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

OR

These are terrible trades and don't make the Suns any better. In fact these trades take us backwards.

Your opinion is duly noted. :wink:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2509 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:04 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,793

Post#2510 » by thamadkant » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:16 am

If Lamelo has very good work ethic I will be open to trade Pick 10 and Oubre for him.... I mean he has shot poorly, but his defensive potential and play making is enticing, with Rubio to mentor him.... I mean young Rubio was hectic as heck he's become more cerebral post ACL injuries obviously, but the PG mind is there for the mentoring.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2511 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:46 pm

thamadkant wrote:If Lamelo has very good work ethic I will be open to trade Pick 10 and Oubre for him.... I mean he has shot poorly, but his defensive potential and play making is enticing, with Rubio to mentor him.... I mean young Rubio was hectic as heck he's become more cerebral post ACL injuries obviously, but the PG mind is there for the mentoring.

Yes, IF he does in fact have a strong work ethic, shows humility ( suppresses potential ego issues) and shows maturity by avoiding any familial drama with his father, He'd be a very fair return, Even for Oubre AND the 10. :nod:
King4Day
RealGM

Post#2512 » by King4Day » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Well this truly sucks if true! :-? :-?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dknation.draftkings.com/platform/amp/nba/2020/10/21/21526648/nba-offseason-2020-free-agency-rumors-draft-tracker-news-updates

Oct. 20 — The Miami Heat are expected to pursue potential free agent Jerami Grant this offseason, per the Miami Herald. Grant has a player option with the Denver Nuggets worth $9.3 million. He could turn that down and seek a bigger deal.

The Heat are expected to part ways with Derrick Jones Jr., who is an unrestricted free agent. Airplane Mode lost his role with the team after the Heat acquired Andre Iguodala and Jae Crowder, plus the emergence of Kendrick Nunn, Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro. Jones has reportedly drawn interest from the Chicago Bulls initially.

That's interesting. Wouldn't that take them out of the Giannis sweepstakes? Or will they still have a way to get a max slot next offseason?
King4Day
RealGM

Post#2513 » by King4Day » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:35 pm

JDLAW wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

OR

The 2nd deal I don't see happening. But the first one, in getting Tucker and a higher pick, as well as getting off Jerome's contract (leading to more cap space). I probably move the 19th pick though since that's guaranteed money.
If the 2023 pick is ours, then i def wouldn't do it.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,878

Post#2514 » by Saberestar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:40 pm

What about DeMar DeRozan?

There are rumors about him want him out of San Antonio, so he probably will be a FA this November.

I like him a lot and I think he could be the best FA available. He is better than FVV, Grant, Wood, Millsap...

We would need to trade Oubre (probably a S&T with the Spurs IDK) and spend the rest of our cap space in him...but I think he is a big upgrade.

We could sign Saric and Carter later.

31 years old, but he is in amazing shape and he has not have important injuries during his career. He will be really good for the next few years for sure.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2515 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 pm

[
Spoiler:
quote="King4Day"]
JDLAW wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

OR

The 2nd deal I don't see happening. But the first one, in getting Tucker and a higher pick, as well as getting off Jerome's contract (leading to more cap space). I probably move the 19th pick though since that's guaranteed money.
If the 2023 pick is ours, then i def wouldn't do it.[/quote]

Yeah! Originally, I had us getting back Covington/ Ellington/ 8th pick back, Whilst sending out Oubre, Jerome ( To New York) and the 10th pick to Houston. But in this trade, I instead opted for Tucker instead in order to maintain greater cap flexibility for 2021 free agency, As all contracts would expire in 2021. And then I figured that we could probably add Milsap on a 1 yr deal at around 9 million? And then bring Saric back at around 7- 8 million on a two year deal ( 2nd yr team option). We'd of course take Hayes or Haliburton or Lewis or Terry at 8 ( Point guard).

Added veterans:
- Tucker ( elite defender).
- Ellington ( 37% 3 pt shooter).
- Milsap ( 43% 3 pt shooter).
Returning players
**Saric.
I look at this trade as adding 3 big time veteran upgrades to our roster on expiting deals. And moving up in the draft to target our PGOTF too. Then in 2021, We can still have max cap space to pursue a top tier free agent or multiple lower tier free agent depth. But IF we could keep Oubre, And trade the 10 to Boston for the 14/ 26th pick and add our guard of the future in one of Lewis/ Terry/ Riller or Bane. And then a very athletic, long versatile big at 26, In one of Tyler Bey, Jalen Smith, Paul Reed, Or Reggie Perry?
Just surround Booker and Oubre and Ayton with elite shooting And elite versatile, multipositional switchable defenders.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2516 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:53 pm

King4Day wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Well this truly sucks if true! :-? :-?

That's interesting. Wouldn't that take them out of the Giannis sweepstakes? Or will they still have a way to get a max slot next offseason?

Nope. Technically, they're set up to have two max slots IF they wait till next summer to resign Adebayo.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.12up.com/amp/posts/genius-heat-are-set-up-perfectly-for-2021-free-agent-run-at-giannis-plus-another-max-player-01e0g9m2hx80

Between last offseason and this week's trade deadline, Riley has managed to dump the salaries of Justise Winslow, James Johnson, Dion Waiters, Hassan Whiteside, and Tyler Johnson. For those curious, Miami saved nearly $80 million in doing so.

Care to know what studs that will definitely hit free agency in 2021? Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, Rudy Gobert, DeMar DeRozan, Victor Oladipo, and CJ McCollum, among others, will all be unrestricted free agents.

Meanwhile, LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, and Paul George all have player options. On top of it all, the Heat also have the luxury of being able to retain one or two of Derrick Jones Jr., Meyers Leonard and Goran Dragic.

Albert Nahmad (@AlbertNahmad) Tweeted:
Beauty of Heat’s position is the flexibility they have for next summer: $28M - $40M cap room (based on Olynyk PO)… MIA can re-sign Jones at net cap cost of <$1M. Rest can be used to re-sign Dragic/Leonard, pursue free agents (e.g., Bertans, Gallinari), and/or in trade scenarios.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2823432-heat-news-pat-riley-looking-to-clear-cap-room-for-2020-nba-free-agency.amp.html

The Heat have $70.2 million in salary commitments for the 2020-21 season, presuming they pick up the fourth-year option on Bam Adebayo's contract. That would leave them with around $48 million in cap room, should the NBA's cap projection of $118 million—reported by Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium (h/t Yahoo Sports)—be correct. 

The Heat will have at least one max-level slot available, but Riley will have to work to clear two.

Dion Waiters and James Johnson will make a combined $29.6 million in 2020-21 and are both wildly overpaid. Riley will probably begin looking to trade both players this summer, hoping to get an expiring contract in return. The Heat could float their 2019 first-round pick but are unable to trade their 2020 or 2022 picks because their 2021 selection is already heading to the Los Angeles Clippers.

So If they ( Riley).can convince Bam to resign after they sign a max player in 2021, Then they can go over the cap to resign him as well, And still have two max slots at their disposal.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2517 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Evan Sidery (@esidery) Tweeted:
I do believe the Suns' best chance for improvement next season is running it back and using their mid-level exception on someone like D.J. Augustin or Justin Holiday. However, if LaMelo Ball hits on a rookie deal, that's even more attractive for a max free agent to join in 2021.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#2518 » by Blonde » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Saberestar wrote:What about DeMar DeRozan?

There are rumors about him want him out of San Antonio, so he probably will be a FA this November.

I like him a lot and I think he could be the best FA available. He is better than FVV, Grant, Wood, Millsap...

We would need to trade Oubre (probably a S&T with the Spurs IDK) and spend the rest of our cap space in him...but I think he is a big upgrade.

We could sign Saric and Carter later.

31 years old, but he is in amazing shape and he has not have important injuries during his career. He will be really good for the next few years for sure.

I was going to bring his name up a few weeks ago but figured everyone here would be very opposed to it, and don’t really see it as a direction our front office would go given age and shooting limitations. He get gets most of his offense in the same spots as Booker too.

I like him a lot though, primarily if we move on from Oubre (a S&T as you suggested would be great). We need another offensive creator and rotation guard/wing so he checks a lot of boxes. If we want to win soon we need to fill those holes with veterans. He is also a multi positional defender (although not great, but probably average) and an above average athlete.

I would be pretty comfortable paying him for a 3 year deal given that he has become a very good distributor over the last few years and we don’t have too many realistic attractive options. He won’t be a hot commodity for contenders and rebuilding teams won’t want him, so his price tag shouldn’t be too inflated. He opens up way more Point Book possibilities as well. If you’re trying to run lineups with Rubio/Derozan/Ayton there probably isn’t enough shooting, especially with Mikal not being a knockdown guy right now. You’d need to be creative mixing Cam Johnson into those lineups and Baynes if he’s back. A sharp shooting backup PG would also be ideal. I believe we’d be safely in the playoff picture which is what we should all be looking to achieve next season.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#2519 » by SideSwipe » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:12 pm

With Kawhi possibly being available any interest in making a run at him for us? I'm a bit torn, but he is the type of defensive minded 3/4 that could really work. That said I'm not usually one to take in bandwagoners, and I'm very iffy on his leadership and personality. Thoughts?

https://clutchpoints.com/rumor-kawhi-leonard-trade-could-be-part-of-clippers-blowup/
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,878

Post#2520 » by Saberestar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:23 pm

SideSwipe wrote:With Kawhi possibly being available any interest in making a run at him for us? I'm a bit torn, but he is the type of defensive minded 3/4 that could really work. That said I'm not usually one to take in bandwagoners, and I'm very iffy on his leadership and personality. Thoughts?

https://clutchpoints.com/rumor-kawhi-leonard-trade-could-be-part-of-clippers-blowup/

Obviously I would do everything possible to get him, but they would ask for Booker and I am not trading him.

Kawhi on the Suns would be amazing...but I don't want to get excited. Not happening.

Return to Phoenix Suns