ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#2541 » by Jdiddy701 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:06 pm

LV-Suns wrote:
Crives wrote:
Saberestar wrote:STAT and Nash together again.

Makes me kind of sad we couldn’t get them to come be a part of phx staff the last 10 years or so

It’s sad that none of our greats wants anything to do with us anymore. It’s probably best after how we handled Hornacek.

Sarver has tried to bring Nash back multiple times. Probably best to keep ex Suns greats away from the organization honestly. I love what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#2542 » by Kerrsed » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:29 pm

Sarver tends to screw over ex-Suns players after he takes advantage of them. Cant blame the smart ones for staying away. Nash hasnt had anything to do with anything Suns related since we "Did the right thing and traded him to LakerLand". Amare has stayed away as well. Pretty sure he has only done a very small 10 second video for some promotion the Suns did a few years back. Marion also has been a no-show every time he's been asked/invited. Diaw has disappeared. Shaq doesnt even consider his stint here as anything and basically doesnt acknowledge it. Barkley trashes us every chance he gets and he still lives here. Most of his hate is targeted towards the Organization as opposed to players, with Sarver getting most of that blame. Hornacek came back and was done dirty. Thunder Dan stuck around for as long as he could until we did him dirty. Now he wants nothing to do with us and even refused to interview for the Head Coach job that he left the Suns about after being over looked like 5 years prior.

Suns greats and even not-so-great former players wont do anything for us until the Cancer (Sarver) is cut out.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#2543 » by cberry78 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:34 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let's go!
I wonder if this means the league is abandoning hope of full arenas this coming season. I could see them looking at and thinking there's no better chance of it in March than December so why not just get going and stay on a somewhat normal calendar. Now no/limited fans will absolutely be a hit to finances and I'd expect a flat cap for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

If they have no fans for awhile and limited fans later it will crush revenues worse than last year (unless China bounces back).

I think they could require masks, temperature checks and social distancing though and do reasonably well...maybe half capacity since families could sit together.

Considering that NYC is shutting down a wedding that is expected to draw 10k people (yes, a wedding), and most arenas are in the 18k+ range, I doubt the League will get more than 25% occupancy rights in most of the country as most states still have bans on large gatherings and those aren't going away any time soon. Plus, we're heading towards our second (third?) wave of COVID-19, and the numbers are just going to climb as winter sets in and people (in most of the country) are relegated to more confined indoor (home/work) spaces. Watch the COVID numbers in bigger northern cities (CHI, MIN, NYC, etc) as the temps drop, those numbers should be the first to climb.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#2544 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:40 pm

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I wonder if this means the league is abandoning hope of full arenas this coming season. I could see them looking at and thinking there's no better chance of it in March than December so why not just get going and stay on a somewhat normal calendar. Now no/limited fans will absolutely be a hit to finances and I'd expect a flat cap for a few years.

If they have no fans for awhile and limited fans later it will crush revenues worse than last year (unless China bounces back).

I think they could require masks, temperature checks and social distancing though and do reasonably well...maybe half capacity since families could sit together.

Considering that NYC is shutting down a wedding that is expected to draw 10k people (yes, a wedding), and most arenas are in the 18k+ range, I doubt the League will get more than 25% occupancy rights in most of the country as most states still have bans on large gatherings and those aren't going away any time soon. Plus, we're heading towards our second (third?) wave of COVID-19, and the numbers are just going to climb as winter sets in and people (in most of the country) are relegated to more confined indoor (home/work) spaces. Watch the COVID numbers in bigger northern cities (CHI, MIN, NYC, etc) as the temps drop, those numbers should be the first to climb.

Yeah, the east and north will get hit harder again as they did in the spring since it will get really cold in the winter and they will be more indoors. The warm weather places will not be as bad somewhat like they were in the spring, because they get hit worse in the summer when it gets too hot to be outdoors, and more people on indoors.

But, it shouldn't be nearly as bad now that people are more equipped to deal with it outside of the states that have a large percentage of people that are anti maskers, etc.

I don't expect there to be fans at all in January, but maybe they gradually get up to 25% by March and maybe 50% for April and May.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#2545 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:47 am

I actually don't think it's a good idea for legendary players to coach the teams they played for, like 95% of all coaching hires eventually go bad and it can stain a legacy and relations from there on out.

I wish Nash and Amare well but that seems like a potentially rough situation with Kyrie 'we are all head coaches' and durant is a moody dude too. I'm actually a little surprised by the Amare hire, guys can mature and change but from what I've heard about Amare from people who knew him when he was younger I wouldn't have thought prime coaching potential.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#2546 » by King4Day » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:21 am

If the Nets win a ring, that'd give STAT a title too. Like everyone but Bell, Richardson, JJ, and Coach D got a ring after leaving the Suns
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM

Post#2547 » by King4Day » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:25 am

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah I think they'll have as many as local ordinances will allow. An issue is the warriors and Lakers are cash cows with expensive seats and CA has strict regulations.

Half capacity at most. Two months away. But if this is true

free agency should be around the corner - just after the draft which is 11/18 I would guess.

If they solidify the start of the season on 12/22, don't be surprised if free agency starts before November ends. Probably then week after the draft.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#2548 » by PharmD » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:38 am

Crazy to think about

Read on Twitter
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#2549 » by cberry78 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:51 am

King4Day wrote:If the Nets win a ring, that'd give STAT a title too. Like everyone but Bell, Richardson, JJ, and Coach D got a ring after leaving the Suns

Bell got his as an Exec with the Cavs in '16. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raja_Bell#Post-playing_career
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#2550 » by Frank Lee » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:27 am

They can trash on all they want

Marion wanted more and whined his way out
Amar’e went for cash and fame and s hit on us in the process
And Nash opted for our nemesis

Good luck boys
But I could care less about post Suns rumblings and grumblings. And as for Shaq? His highlite here was Lou filling his Escalade up with popcorn or something.

Was too bad Stat went down that yr
What ? Me Worry ?
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2551 » by Kerrsed » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:45 am

Frank Lee wrote:And as for Shaq? His highlite here was Lou filling his Escalade up with popcorn or something.

Cant forget:

and

and

Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#2552 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:23 am

Frank Lee wrote:They can trash on all they want

Good luck boys
But I could care less about post Suns rumblings and grumblings. And as for Shaq? His highlite here was Lou filling his Escalade up with popcorn or something.

I have zero issue with Amare leaving for a bigger contract or being upset the suns didn't give that to him... but it was the right move for the suns at the time and with how his knees went in NY proved to be right.

Now that awful attempt to replace him with Warrick, Childress, and Turkey glue was make me want to have my memory wiped. Dark days

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#2553 » by cberry78 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 am

Kerrsed wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:And as for Shaq? His highlite here was Lou filling his Escalade up with popcorn or something.

Cant forget:

and

and

That second one is probably my all-time favorite Suns gif.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2554 » by Kerrsed » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:56 am

cberry78 wrote:That second one is probably my all-time favorite Suns gif.

Mine.

Loved me some Raja. One of my Top 5 favorite Suns players.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#2555 » by darmani » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:04 am

Crives wrote:
Saberestar wrote:STAT and Nash together again.

Makes me kind of sad we couldn’t get them to come be a part of phx staff the last 10 years or so

I honestly don't give a flying **** about Steve "I will never put on a Lakers jersey" Nash and Amare "Once a Knick, always a Knick" Stoudemire.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
King4Day
RealGM

Post#2556 » by King4Day » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:55 pm

cberry78 wrote:
King4Day wrote:If the Nets win a ring, that'd give STAT a title too. Like everyone but Bell, Richardson, JJ, and Coach D got a ring after leaving the Suns

Bell got his as an Exec with the Cavs in '16. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raja_Bell#Post-playing_career

That's nuts. Had no idea:

On October 1, 2014, the Cleveland Cavaliers announced the hiring of Bell as the team's Director of Player Administration.[16] He won an NBA Championship with the Cavs in 2016 in this role. In early 2016, Bell was named a finalist for the Kenny Whetham Memorial Trophy for his off-court efforts in the community.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#2557 » by BobbieL » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:02 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:They can trash on all they want

Good luck boys

I have zero issue with Amare leaving for a bigger contract or being upset the suns didn't give that to him... but it was the right move for the suns at the time and with how his knees went in NY proved to be right.

Now that awful attempt to replace him with Warrick, Childress, and Turkey glue was make me want to have my memory wiped. Dark days

Exactly! The Summer of 2010. That was the summer that Sarver let Kerr leave the organization on June 30 when Free AGency started July 1. I know he may not have wanted to pay Kerr long term but Kerr on staff for two more weeks for $500k would have been a lot better. And it wasn't just they signed those players - they were multi year deals. So bad... fine sign Warrick to a one year deal.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#2558 » by Fo-Real » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Can not bellyache about how either Steve or Amare left. Amare was coming off of microfracture, witch was deemed a ticking time bomb while asking for max money. We simply could not take that chance, we had to move on as a smaller franchise, it would have crimpled us if he got hurt. Steve was at the absolute end of his career and wanted to ring chase. We got 2 first round picks for Steve, much more than anyone thought we would get. We were not going anywhere as currently constructed and did Steve a favor while actually getting real value back.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#2559 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:47 pm

The marion situation was unfortunate and it's ridiculous he's not in the ring of honor yet, hopefully that's fixed soon.

He felt underappreciated and underpaid, I don't think he was wrong. As far as overall impact I think he was the second most important SSOL player. He's a guy we'd appreciate more today than in his era, advanced stats are very kind to Shawn. Was he a little over sensitive at the end? Sure but the suns should have recognized that and saved that relationship. Trading him for Shaq is one of the few bad marks on Kerr's ridiculous good basketball legacy.

BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#2560 » by BobbieL » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:48 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The marion situation was unfortunate and it's ridiculous he's not in the ring of honor yet, hopefully that's fixed soon.

He felt underappreciated and underpaid, I don't think he was wrong. As far as overall impact I think he was the second most important SSOL player. He's a guy we'd appreciate more today than in his era, advanced stats are very kind to Shawn. Was he a little over sensitive at the end? Sure but the suns should have recognized that and saved that relationship. Trading him for Shaq is one of the few bad marks on Kerr's ridiculous good basketball legacy.

I know when the KG talks were going on and the Suns really wanted to keep Amare and ship Marion to Minnesota if I remember - I had a fur coat picked out for Amare already if MN would have done that deal. Sigh - but Marion and Garnett on the court playing defense together. The life of a Suns fan ... what if

Return to Phoenix Suns