ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

ray ray
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#3861 » by ray ray » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Just got word that this will become official next week UNLESS something goes south for whatever reason .. (like warriors deal for Curry)

Chris Paul has told OKC that he wants to go to either Suns, Clippers and Bucks .. Only team that can trade without giving up half their roster is Phx
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,823

Post#3862 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:08 pm

ray ray wrote:Just got word that this will become official next week UNLESS something goes south for whatever reason .. (like warriors deal for Curry)

Chris Paul has told OKC that he wants to go to either Suns, Clippers and Bucks .. Only team that can trade without giving up half their roster is Phx

Do you know the package that we are offering for Paul? #10 is included?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#3863 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
bwgood77 wrote:
These updates are a whole lot of nothing.

There was a similar account last year reporting Westbrook to the Heat being a done deal for several days. The person kept touting their sources and telling everyone to be patient because the deal was done...eventually the account disappeared after Russ was traded to the rockets.

I don't know if CP3 ends up on the Suns or not. I do know that thunder fans have had seen similar situations happen so many times and then the actual trade ends up being something out of left field with a team we didn't expect. I also know that even though the thunder might be trying to find a good situation for CP3, he is not in control of the situation. Presti has his thumb on every part of this organization more than any GM in the league.

Though he still tries to send these guys to where they want to go, correct? Like Westbrook to the Rockets and George to the Clippers. Of course both of those guys were longer time Thunder players he probably had more allegiance to.

There have been reports for most of the last year it seems though that they would work with Paul on a destination and try to trade him somewhere he wants to go.

Are you hoping he is traded? If so, what are you hoping for in return and what do you think his value with that contract and age are really worth?

He definitely tries to accommodate but in the case of both George and Westbrook he made comments about being happy he was able to do so in a mutually beneficial way. I don't think Presti would send Paul to the Kings but I don't think he's going to accept less than he thinks is fair value. It's a balancing act that he's been successful doing so far. Here are his comments about the George trade.

Spoiler:
"I wouldn't say that we were going to appease the request simply because it was made, but more than anything, it was because of the fact that we were able to get the return that we did, which then allowed us to accommodate what he was looking for, as well," Presti said. "It wasn't necessarily permission. It was, 'How can we make this work for everyone?' And the reality is, we've seen these situations in other cities. I just don't think for us, we can take that risk, given the lengths that we had gone to to try to keep the run that we started in 2008 together."

Yes, I hope CP3 is traded. It's time to rebuild. It's actually passed time to rebuild. We've delayed in longer than we should, imo. We have a nice piece with Shai and if he's going to be part of the future we need to work on getting a core around him.

What is fair and what I hope to get are not the same answer. :wink: Realistically if we traded Paul for expiring's and received no assets in return, is that a bad trade? I think some would be disappointed but looking at the big picture it really isn't. We saved a year one Westbrook's deal ($46m) when we traded cp3 and got back assets. At the time of the trade a lot of people speculated we would have to use most of the Houston picks and pick swaps to dump CP3. Getting expiring's for CP3 would increase that to over $90 million at minimum. I don't think OKC would be considered losers of the trade if that's all they got.

The other extreme are the rumors of PHX being willing to include the 10th pick. If I'm a suns fan, I wouldn't be happy about that which means that would be a dream scenario for okc. I don't really feel confident that will happen but we'll see. Truthfully I don't know CP3's value but I know the organization has a good relationship with him. So this won't be a toxic situation where they lose value on him. I'm just not sure what the value is, tbh.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,913

Post#3864 » by Fo-Real » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:28 pm

What is the closest that salaries have to match between the Suns and Chris Paul without being illegal. The numbers being thrown around for him are his next year salary and no one has said anything about our player options. For instance Paul's salary match this year is 38,506,482 and the Suns trading Rubio (seeing if there is a way of not adding Kelly), and players including the team options we pick up (Kaminsky, Jerome, Diallio, Okobo, Lecque, and even adding Payne's salary) would bring the total salary outgoing to 27,350,784. Im guessing 11 mil is too big of a difference?? It would be the only reason we would be in favor of adding pick 10 seeing as they want young guys and picks most of our crap would be discarded, Rubio would be funneled to another team which would give them an asset or two. They might want to keep Kaminsky after losing Gallo, maybe take a peek at Jerome and Dallio while just cutting the rest?
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#3865 » by Fo-Real » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:30 pm

King4Day wrote:
Revived wrote:Forget the whole CP3 thing, I’m more concerned that the Suns aren’t reportedly not gonna bring Baynes back. Ayton improved a ton defensively (before the bubble when he became ass on defense) and a lot of the credit should be given to Baynes. Ayton himself, and Monty have credited Baynes for being a true leader and mentor for Ayton. Baynes himself said recently that Ayton has a lot of talent but just loses focus.

I’m almost certain the market $$ for Baynes isn’t gonna be crazy high. It makes no sense as to why we wouldn’t bring him back. It can’t be because of his injuries considering the players we are reportedly interested like CP3 and Gallinari are worse and more expensive in that department!

We should be doing whatever we can to bring Baynes back to save our #1 overall investment from the 2018 draft. Ayton’s gonna revert back to rookie yr Ayton defensively otherwise.

Baynes likely isn't returning unless we offered him an insane amount of money. Like serious overpay. Seems he's looking for a contender and I'd be surprised if he doesn't start the season on one of the LA teams or GS.

I almost expect him to go back to Boston.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#3866 » by BobbieL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Saberestar wrote:
ray ray wrote:Just got word that this will become official next week UNLESS something goes south for whatever reason .. (like warriors deal for Curry)

The Bucks could do something like Bledsoe Hill and Ersan I think but Bledsoe has a few years left on his deal - not sure OKC would want that.

With the Suns - -probably can move Rubio to Clippers, Oubre to Mavs and get an expiring like THJr back to clear cap

I was hoping this deal would fall through - because I liked the idea of keeping the building going (especially when I read Bickley wants the deal - he just wants the sizzle not the substance).

Rubio, Oubre (or you trade Oubre for a player you can't get in FA) and Wood or Grant seems very good to me

But I will buy the hype of CP3 if he brings Gallo and another FA or two on the vet minimum along. A motivated CP3 would be pretty good player for Ayton and the young guys. Because oif CP3 can tgake Ayton to another level where a aplayer like Rubio can't - that could pay big dividends.

But really I wanted this deal to fall apart.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#3867 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Fo-Real wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Revived wrote:Forget the whole CP3 thing, I’m more concerned that the Suns aren’t reportedly not gonna bring Baynes back. Ayton improved a ton defensively (before the bubble when he became ass on defense) and a lot of the credit should be given to Baynes. Ayton himself, and Monty have credited Baynes for being a true leader and mentor for Ayton. Baynes himself said recently that Ayton has a lot of talent but just loses focus.

I’m almost certain the market $$ for Baynes isn’t gonna be crazy high. It makes no sense as to why we wouldn’t bring him back. It can’t be because of his injuries considering the players we are reportedly interested like CP3 and Gallinari are worse and more expensive in that department!

We should be doing whatever we can to bring Baynes back to save our #1 overall investment from the 2018 draft. Ayton’s gonna revert back to rookie yr Ayton defensively otherwise.

Baynes likely isn't returning unless we offered him an insane amount of money. Like serious overpay. Seems he's looking for a contender and I'd be surprised if he doesn't start the season on one of the LA teams or GS.

Oh yeah that's a definite possibility. Clippers are also a possibility.

I've been saying for a while that Baynes is simply going to have better options from a role/playing time perspective.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#3868 » by Fo-Real » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:38 pm

I just cant see the Suns trading Oubre with all of the media stuff with the new jerseys he is in.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#3869 » by BobbieL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:42 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:
King4Day wrote:

I've been saying for a while that Baynes is simply going to have better options from a role/playing time perspective.

Clippers were a much better team with Zubac on the floor (statistically than Harrell). Baynes would be a good back up - but would have to be the MLE of course.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#3870 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:49 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:

Clippers were a much better team with Zubac on the floor (statistically than Harrell). Baynes would be a good back up - but would have to be the MLE of course.
Yeah I expect his market to be the MLE, how many years will be the question. I know people say just overpay him with bird rights but realistically paying a backup C who's slotted play 15 minutes a night $10 mil per year isn't a great idea. I can totally understand why you'd pay someone like Saric instead because he can actually share the floor with Ayton along with taking the backup C minutes. Then sign a vet min big for additional depth.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#3871 » by Crives » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Fo-Real wrote:I just cant see the Suns trading Oubre with all of the media stuff with the new jerseys he is in.

That could be phx building leverage
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#3872 » by BobbieL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:09 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Oh yeah that's a definite possibility. Clippers are also a possibility.

Yeah I expect his market to be the MLE, how many years will be the question. I know people say just overpay him with bird rights but realistically paying a backup C who's slotted play 15 minutes a night $10 mil per year isn't a great idea. I can totally understand why you'd pay someone like Saric instead because he can actually share the floor with Ayton along with taking the backup C minutes. Then sign a vet min big for additional depth.

That would be my plan - sign a back up big to the veterans minimum and have Saric play the 4/5 like you mentioned.

I just think the Suns have a bigger need than Baynes - and that for me - is a back up two guard. Among other things

I hope early next week word breaks of the parameter of the deal. I think when its done, Kerrsed will be pretty accurate
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#3873 » by Mjee » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:09 pm

Awesome !! I am all aboard the CP train!! If he is the CP of last year, this is going to be an awesome season
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#3874 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Saberestar wrote:

My source is telling me that the pick is not going to be send directly to OKC but we will likely have a pick swap arranged with a third team. He mentioned that the suns are targeting Tyler Terry and believe he will still be available later in the draft. Apparently Terry was coached by Jef Bower's brother in high highschool and has know the kid for years.

Of course my source is my cat Mittens, so I wouldn't exactly call him an nba insider, but he's still more reliable than Chris Bouchard.
Spoiler:
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#3875 » by darmani » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Fo-Real wrote:What is the closest that salaries have to match between the Suns and Chris Paul without being illegal. The numbers being thrown around for him are his next year salary and no one has said anything about our player options. For instance Paul's salary match this year is 38,506,482 and the Suns trading Rubio (seeing if there is a way of not adding Kelly), and players including the team options we pick up (Kaminsky, Jerome, Diallio, Okobo, Lecque, and even adding Payne's salary) would bring the total salary outgoing to 27,350,784. Im guessing 11 mil is too big of a difference?? It would be the only reason we would be in favor of adding pick 10 seeing as they want young guys and picks most of our crap would be discarded, Rubio would be funneled to another team which would give them an asset or two. They might want to keep Kaminsky after losing Gallo, maybe take a peek at Jerome and Dallio while just cutting the rest?

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#3876 » by BobbieL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:24 pm

darmani wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:What is the closest that salaries have to match between the Suns and Chris Paul without being illegal. The numbers being thrown around for him are his next year salary and no one has said anything about our player options. For instance Paul's salary match this year is 38,506,482 and the Suns trading Rubio (seeing if there is a way of not adding Kelly), and players including the team options we pick up (Kaminsky, Jerome, Diallio, Okobo, Lecque, and even adding Payne's salary) would bring the total salary outgoing to 27,350,784. Im guessing 11 mil is too big of a difference?? It would be the only reason we would be in favor of adding pick 10 seeing as they want young guys and picks most of our crap would be discarded, Rubio would be funneled to another team which would give them an asset or two. They might want to keep Kaminsky after losing Gallo, maybe take a peek at Jerome and Dallio while just cutting the rest?

Read on Twitter

It has to be Rubio, Oubre and either Jerome or Okobo

There really is zero reason to add Frank because he can be released

For the Suns to get the MOST cap savings - it would be Jerome as Okobo could be waived.

(it seems like its going to happen - he better bring a 4 with him named Danilo Gallinari
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,500

Post#3877 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:31 pm

I believe that Suns fan and cap guru David Kevin mentioned on the Locd' on Suns podcast yesterday evening that the exchange ( outgoing salary) needs to be within 120% of Paul's salary to be legal. He mentioned something along the lines of sending out Oubre/Rubio and Jerome's salary or something comparable could get it done. And then we'd have multiple avenues to address the roster in free agency. He also mentioned maximizing our cap space in free agency by addressing our free agency interests first! And then finalizing the Chris Paul trade last, a As it would give us up to 22 million ( potentially to spread throughout the roster IF we renounce and/ or decline both of Baynes and Saric. And then decline Kaminsky and a few other considerations. :dontknow:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/73WUEE0billewtbzrdB5jY?si=CATTUgfHSK-tThQlEMu_zA
( He discusses the options for Paul around the 30 minute mark). I hope that this helps some man! :thumbsup:
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#3878 » by Fo-Real » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:36 pm

darmani wrote:

Read on Twitter

So 33.05 Mil is the magic number outgoing to Paul's salary of 38,506,482 this year?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#3879 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I was going to comment it's surprising we still don't know when the transaction memoritoium ends.

My guess is they go with Monday to try and own a news cycle and avoid football stealing some shine tomorrow.

Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Post#3880 » by Sunsdeuce » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:55 pm

Always go back to Steve Nash. When did we see the cliff with him. I noticed it when he turned 36. The lakers sure as sh$& saw it at 37. And Nash kept himself probably fiter and healthier than anyone in the NBA.

This is such a dumb gamble by the Suns. Like placing money on green on roulette. Chances of that hitting are super low. If it hits, it will hit big but the chances aren’t worth putting on it.

As long as you don’t place your expectations high for next season than this trade is your bag!
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes

Return to Phoenix Suns