ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#3881 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:08 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Baynes likely isn't returning unless we offered him an insane amount of money. Like serious overpay. Seems he's looking for a contender and I'd be surprised if he doesn't start the season on one of the LA teams or GS.

I almost expect him to go back to Boston.
Oh yeah that's a definite possibility. Clippers are also a possibility.

I've been saying for a while that Baynes is simply going to have better options from a role/playing time perspective.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

I don't know why I didn't think of Boston. That makes perfect sense. They desperately need a C, and it's not like if they draft one, even if it's Okongwu by trading up, he will be able to start for them.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3882 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Fo-Real wrote:
darmani wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:What is the closest that salaries have to match between the Suns and Chris Paul without being illegal. The numbers being thrown around for him are his next year salary and no one has said anything about our player options. For instance Paul's salary match this year is 38,506,482 and the Suns trading Rubio (seeing if there is a way of not adding Kelly), and players including the team options we pick up (Kaminsky, Jerome, Diallio, Okobo, Lecque, and even adding Payne's salary) would bring the total salary outgoing to 27,350,784. Im guessing 11 mil is too big of a difference?? It would be the only reason we would be in favor of adding pick 10 seeing as they want young guys and picks most of our crap would be discarded, Rubio would be funneled to another team which would give them an asset or two. They might want to keep Kaminsky after losing Gallo, maybe take a peek at Jerome and Dallio while just cutting the rest?

Read on Twitter

So 33.05 Mil is the magic number outgoing to Paul's salary of 38,506,482 this year?

The most we could take back is 125% of what we send out. $41.35 million is 125% of $33.05 million, so it must have to be calculated on next year's salary. $38.506 for this year would be 125% of a little less than $31 million I believe that would have to go out.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,691

Post#3883 » by Qwigglez » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:26 pm

According to the Solar Panel podcast it seems that both CP3 and Book really want to get this deal done and play with each other. If the Suns staff trust CP3s health enough I’m more onboard with this trade since I see all the pros of adding Paul.
I am wondering though who Paul is trying to bring along with him to Phoenix via free agency. I’m thinking it’s maybe Serge Ibaka or Gallinari. Could also see Bertrans or even Jerami Grant being an option. In any case, we keep Cam Johnson on the bench.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#3884 » by Qwigglez » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Would like to add I wouldn’t mind just keeping Saric, and maybe going after some solid veterans like Jae Crowder to fill the roster.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#3885 » by BobbieL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Qwigglez wrote:According to the Solar Panel podcast it seems that both CP3 and Book really want to get this deal done and play with each other. If the Suns staff trust CP3s health enough I’m more onboard with this trade since I see all the pros of adding Paul.
I am wondering though who Paul is trying to bring along with him to Phoenix via free agency. I’m thinking it’s maybe Serge Ibaka or Gallinari. Could also see Bertrans or even Jerami Grant being an option. In any case, we keep Cam Johnson on the bench.

If this deal goes through with say Jerome, Oubre and Rubio leaving, and the Suns sign Saric to $8m or less, and they waive Okobo Diallo and Frank - I think, per DAvid 4Pt Play - the Suns would have more than the MLE - so basically 11-12m maybe. Not sure that gets Grant. Maybe Gallo if he wants to win
Of the names mentioned, I think I would rather have Millsap over Bertans or Ibaka . But thats getting even older.

The reason I like keeping Rubio, and Oubre, or trading Oubre for a player and signing a guy like Grant or Wood as the team is younger

But, your first statement is the key - if this gets Booker to take his game to another level, and CP3 can get Ayton to get better - I get why this trade makes sense. You have to keep Booker engaged and maybe CP3 does that. No doubt he is had a very good last season.
alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Post#3886 » by alamin330 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:37 pm

FYI Chris Paul is not Steve Nash. Stop comparing them. Steve Nash had a chronic back condition Chris paul does not. Chris Paul is also better than Steve Nash
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,205

Post#3887 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Qwigglez wrote:According to the Solar Panel podcast it seems that both CP3 and Book really want to get this deal done and play with each other. If the Suns staff trust CP3s health enough I’m more onboard with this trade since I see all the pros of adding Paul.

CP3 and Gallo really meshed well here in OKC both on and off the court. I wouldn't be surprised if they had something planned.

Read on Twitter
?

Speaking during last week's All-Star events, Paul was asked about his relationship with the Thunder forward. "Gallo? That's my man. Me and Gallo really got close this season."..."We sit next to each other on the bus. We're the only two on the team that's 30 years old or older."... "At this point in our careers, we can appreciate each other."
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#3888 » by Fo-Real » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Funny how people focus on Paul's injury potential but gloss over Gallo"s!!
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#3889 » by oddity » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Sunsdeuce wrote:Always go back to Steve Nash. When did we see the cliff with him. I noticed it when he turned 36. The lakers sure as sh$& saw it at 37. And Nash kept himself probably fiter and healthier than anyone in the NBA.

This is such a dumb gamble by the Suns. Like placing money on green on roulette. Chances of that hitting are super low. If it hits, it will hit big but the chances aren’t worth putting on it.

As long as you don’t place your expectations high for next season than this trade is your bag!

Well Nash was also plagued with back issues that kept him literally laying on the baseline for long stretches of time.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3890 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm

This trade keeps making me think of the Shaq trade where we sent out Marion.

I really specifically remember after Shaq's contract with Miami was ending and they agreed to sign him to a 5 year contract for like $100 million when he was like 34 I thought "Man, they are not going to like paying the last couple of years or that contract."

A couple of years later, of course we not only trade for him, but send out Marion.

Sure, the team did ok with him for a year, but then we wanted to dump him and traded him for the 46th pick the following year, so lost Marion for 1 year of an old Shaq.

Then of course I remember when Houston decided to pay Paul $160 million over 4 years I thought "Man, those last couple of years...they are going to regret that."

So who looks to be paying that? Us, but not only will we be paying it, but sending out a couple of solid players and possibly the 10th pick.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#3891 » by Flying Colors » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Boy, I really hope Chris Paul can stay healthy for two years
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#3892 » by BobbieL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm

alamin330 wrote:FYI Chris Paul is not Steve Nash. Stop comparing them. Steve Nash had a chronic back condition Chris paul does not. Chris Paul is also better than Steve Nash

Since it doesn't sound like this deal will be what the Nets did for Pierce and Garnett; or even what the Clippers gave up for PG13 - meaning future firsts, and switching picks and all that (hell for me - at worst, I mean at WORST< it should be flipping 10 for 25/53 but I don't think 10 should be in play ) - its a two year contract (Rubio was going to be done in two years) - for the team to make a push with the young Core 4 of Book, DA, Bridges and Cam. Thats how I view this deal - Paul will be a better influence/leader than Rubio.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#3893 » by BobbieL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:59 pm

bwgood77 wrote:This trade keeps making me think of the Shaq trade where we sent out Marion.

I really specifically remember after Shaq's contract with Miami was ending and they agreed to sign him to a 5 year contract for like $100 million when he was like 34 I thought "Man, they are not going to like paying the last couple of years or that contract."

A couple of years later, of course we not only trade for him, but send out Marion.

Sure, the team did ok with him for a year, but then we wanted to dump him and traded him for the 46th pick the following year, so lost Marion for 1 year of an old Shaq.

Then of course I remember when Houston decided to pay Paul $160 million over 4 years I thought "Man, those last couple of years...they are going to regret that."

So who looks to be paying that? Us, but not only will we be paying it, but sending out a couple of solid players and possibly the 10th pick.

I can talk myself into reasons why the trade makes some sense: Booker is for it and Paul might kick Ayton in the butt and his game expands and grows.

But personally - I like the idea of building off last year: signing Saric, another year with Rubio at PG, Oubre and use cap space for a 2G or use Oubre for a 2G and sign Grant or Woods.

But I guess two things: 1) need to see the parameters of the deal 2) what other players can join the Suns.

But I will not be happy if they include the 10th pick without getting back the 25 &/or future first round picks.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#3894 » by Qwigglez » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Yeah to me, I don’t care if the trade falls apart. I thought the team did well last season with what they had and they could run it back and have better success. But I can also see CP3 having the kind of impact in Book and Aytons career that can help them blossom to that next level. Specially Ayton I can see him either shy away and stay this 18/10 player and be happy with that, or can see him turning into a monster and averaging 25/13.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#3895 » by matt131 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:03 pm

BobbieL wrote:
alamin330 wrote:FYI Chris Paul is not Steve Nash. Stop comparing them. Steve Nash had a chronic back condition Chris paul does not. Chris Paul is also better than Steve Nash

Since it doesn't sound like this deal will be what the Nets did for Pierce and Garnett; or even what the Clippers gave up for PG13 - meaning future firsts, and switching picks and all that (hell for me - at worst, I mean at WORST< it should be flipping 10 for 25/53 but I don't think 10 should be in play ) - its a two year contract (Rubio was going to be done in two years) - for the team to make a push with the young Core 4 of Book, DA, Bridges and Cam. Thats how I view this deal - Paul will be a better influence/leader than Rubio.
Exactly. I mean, I love the current team we have. They were more fun to watch than any team we've had for a long time

But paul's contract is just as long as rubio's. If he can bring in free agents who, without him, would have been out of our price range, he will have added value. If he can whip Deandre into shape and get him to focus and be agrresive, he will have added value. If, at the end of his contract, he got us to two playoffs and other players notice we have a good, new culture and our young players are good, he will have added value.

I was initially against this trade and honestly still don't want to see Rubio or Oubre go. I love those guys. But even after 1 year, if it doesn't work, you have a 40 million dollar expiring contract that might actually he worth something to another team. The risk is high, but there are some contingency plans. The reward has a tremendously high ceiling, and it seems like that might over shadow the possible downside of the trade
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#3896 » by Flying Colors » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Chris Paul would for sure light a fire under Ayton’s ass, he would give that man lobs for days
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#3897 » by matt131 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Flying Colors wrote:Chris Paul would for sure light a fire under Ayton’s ass, he would give that man lobs for days
Probably the biggest reason to do this deal. If Paul can't get Ayton to focus and play with aggression and attack the rim, that gives the coaching staff and FO an idea of what aytons true ceiling is
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#3898 » by Fo-Real » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 pm

I know its not possible but Im just trying to rack my brain on if we could daisy chain trades, taking back higher salary to then pump up the out going salary to trade for Paul. Probably not even legal but something like two parts of Ricky+Lecque plus 10th to clips for salary and ballast.... Bev, McGruder, Kabengele, Mann, then add them to Kaminski, Jerome, Okobo, Dallio, Payne gets just past the mark money wise for trade for Paul. Okc could cut Kaminski, Payne and Okobo for nothing right?? . Obviously not legal, not reasonable for the Clips, OKC dont want all that trash...... Just trying to find ways around the money thing where we keep Kelly and make it make sense to actually have to include the 10th pick.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3899 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:17 pm

matt131 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Exactly. I mean, I love the current team we have. They were more fun to watch than any team we've had for a long time

But paul's contract is just as long as rubio's. If he can bring in free agents who, without him, would have been out of our price range, he will have added value. If he can whip Deandre into shape and get him to focus and be agrresive, he will have added value. If, at the end of his contract, he got us to two playoffs and other players notice we have a good, new culture and our young players are good, he will have added value.

I was initially against this trade and honestly still don't want to see Rubio or Oubre go. I love those guys. But even after 1 year, if it doesn't work, you have a 40 million dollar expiring contract that might actually he worth something to another team. The risk is high, but there are some contingency plans. The reward has a tremendously high ceiling, and it seems like that might over shadow the possible downside of the trade

What free agents? We don't have any money really. You mean Gallinari? He still isn't long for this league.

People keep mentioning expiring contracts. They are not worth that much anymore, except to a team looking to dump a long term $40 million contract. I don't understand why people view a huge expiring as easy to dump.

The great thing about an expiring contract if the player isn't worth it any more is that it expires the next year and is off your books...you certainly don't want to trade it and take on some salary dump from another team of a longer $40 million contract.

The only time you can probably get a good player back in the deal is if a team is deep into the tax for the future and needs to get out of it, but they would still need to send a ton of money back.
alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Post#3900 » by alamin330 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Another thing. At this stage of Chris Paul’s career he should be looking for contenders. The fact that he wants to be in Phoenix more than any other place let’s you know he views the suns as contenders with him and whoever else he wants to come on the team. That alone should get the pessimists excited.
What good is holding on to the 10, Rubio and oubre if we struggle to make playoffs and lose them all after their contracts and then Booker.

Return to Phoenix Suns