Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 41,343

Re: Cam Payne news and highlights 

Post#81 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 7:21 pm

Saberestar wrote:
RedIndian wrote:Nice little return to form there. He'd been struggling for a while.

How much does one view him as worth in FA now? Personally, after seeing Jevon Carter's regression this year, I'd be hesitant to do more than 3 year/18 million for Payne.

He's a good, scrappy change of pace bench PG, but anything more than 6 million a year would be an overpay given that he only plays 16-18 mins a game.

The major piece to add in next year's draft or free agency (through the BAE perhaps) is an upgrade on the Moore / Galloway / Carter positions. Now all those guys have their virtues, but none have consistently shown what we need from that combo guard spot. If we added a Clarkson or Dinwiddie type player in that position, I really think that'd elevate us into contenders.

The draft has an interesting bunch of players in that mould we could target with our pick - Jared Butler, David Duke, Miles McBridge, Davion Mitchell, Chris Duarte, Josh Alexander.

I wouldn't pay him that much.

I think that $12M/3 years would be enough to keep him.

Seems like earlier people were saying like $27/3.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 9,581

Post#82 » by Saberestar » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:53 pm

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#83 » by Saberestar » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:25 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#84 » by Saberestar » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:00 am

In his last three games Cam Payne averages:

13 points, 6 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 0.3 TOs, shooting 7/13 from three.

All of that in 22 mpg and his defense has been pretty good too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#85 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:55 pm

Saberestar wrote:In his last three games Cam Payne averages:

20/1 ast/to ratio not bad.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 11,676

Post#86 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Really an underappreciated part of his game since he's joined the Suns. He just doesn't turn the ball over.

I think we've reached a large enough sample size to say Payne is officially a good backup PG. Hell of a career turnaround.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#87 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Really an underappreciated part of his game since he's joined the Suns. He just doesn't turn the ball over.

I think we've reached a large enough sample size to say Payne is officially a good backup PG. Hell of a career turnaround.

Yeah, between Paul, Payne and Bridges, we are really solid there...if only Book could cut his in half. Ayton is up and down..good passer but mishandles...some due to bad passes, though the majority of those are credited to the bad pass as they should be.

But for a few games, everyone had turnovers for whatever reason. Maybe with the Clips...they are great at forcing them with their length and tenacity...I remember George getting like 5 steals against Dallas last year. Worried about facing them in playoffs.

I think it will be tough to avoid both LA teams until the WCF. That requires us to get 2 or 3 and them both 4/5 OR us in 1, 4 or 5 and them in 2 or 3 and 6 or 7. Not sure which is more likely.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 11,676

Post#88 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, between Paul, Payne and Bridges, we are really solid there...if only Book could cut his in half. Ayton is up and down..good passer but mishandles...some due to bad passes, though the majority of those are credited to the bad pass as they should be.

But for a few games, everyone had turnovers for whatever reason. Maybe with the Clips...they are great at forcing them with their length and tenacity...I remember George getting like 5 steals against Dallas last year. Worried about facing them in playoffs.

I think it will be tough to avoid both LA teams until the WCF. That requires us to get 2 or 3 and them both 4/5 OR us in 1, 4 or 5 and them in 2 or 3 and 6 or 7. Not sure which is more likely.
Yeah Booker is definitely the main culprit. Suns are 5th in the league for least TOs per game so it's definitely a strength. Part of a more general theme of them being a disciplined team that doesn't give games away.

It's funny this current suns team is basically the antithesis of past suns teams in every way. Good defense being the most shocking thing since that wasn't a strength even when they were good (although should be noted those SSOL were average defensively even though people thought they were bad)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns