ImageImageImage

Nets hire Steve Nash as their coach

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

Re: Nets hire Steve Nash as their coach 

Post#41 » by sasquatchBob » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:14 pm

He's the player that got me into Suns. Best of luck to Nash. I hope he turns out to be a great coach!
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#42 » by Frank Lee » Sat Sep 5, 2020 10:31 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I loved the Nets team and players, but when they added Kyrie and Durant, not really any longer. And if Nash is avoiding the Suns to go work for others, I'm not going to root for him.

What if he's just avoiding Sarver?

I thought they had a good relationship.

Jeebus
It’s like a GD sewing circle around here
What ? Me Worry ?
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#43 » by Fo-Real » Sun Sep 6, 2020 4:55 pm

The Nets are positioning to try to make a run. They are the team who might think less of lesser right now assets and who we should look to trade a guy like Kelly to for young players.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#44 » by cberry78 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:10 pm

Frank Lee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:What if he's just avoiding Sarver?

Jeebus

I was just playing Devil's Advocate here.... everyone is so quick to jump on the "blame Sarver" bandwagon until a player does something that they don't like and then it's "blame Player X" for everything.

I have no idea if Sarver and Nash are still on good terms, they still have the soccer team in Mallorca, and the way they've run the team (like an NBA team, apparently) has been good for the entire league (as of late 2019, I think).
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,463

Post#45 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:07 pm

cberry78 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Jeebus

I was just playing Devil's Advocate here.... everyone is so quick to jump on the "blame Sarver" bandwagon until a player does something that they don't like and then it's "blame Player X" for everything.

I have no idea if Sarver and Nash are still on good terms, they still have the soccer team in Mallorca, and the way they've run the team (like an NBA team, apparently) has been good for the entire league (as of late 2019, I think).

But would you want him over Monty? Do you think he'd be an asst instead of a head coaching job? Also, even if he got a head coaching offer from us, do you think he'd rather hold out for a potential contender instead of a team with one of the worst records (prior to Monty coming on)? I imagine they are paying him a lot more than he'd get from the Suns.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#46 » by cberry78 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 10:19 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:
Jeebus

But would you want him over Monty? Do you think he'd be an asst instead of a head coaching job? Also, even if he got a head coaching offer from us, do you think he'd rather hold out for a potential contender instead of a team with one of the worst records (prior to Monty coming on)? I imagine they are paying him a lot more than he'd get from the Suns.

I totally agree. I would much rather have Monty over Nash, but I get the feeling that 2 years ago that Nash was offered the job (maybe unofficially) and wasn't ready to be a coach at that point, so we went with Kokosov. And looking at it from Nash's perspective, I'd much rather be the coach of a team with KD and Kyrie than the coach of a B market team with ONLY (2-year ago) Booker as an asset.....then, yeah, the money of course.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#47 » by RunDogGun » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Hesh wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:He would have stayed if we would have risked it without insurance, but it was 5 years. We definitely would have extended the window 1 more year. He was really good in 10-11. After that he began to drop off some, playing only 47 and 29 games the next 2 years, so it would have been tough. We might have had a solid run in the playoffs if he was back in 11-12 but then been stuck with the last 3 years of an overpaid contract. It probably would have been worth it in hindsight, or 1 or maybe 2 more shots, despite are fun 13-14 season, knowing we sucked mostly anyway, and the Morris and Len picks wouldn't have been missed...after that we may have been about the same as we were, if Dragic still came back...he was great with the pick and roll or pop...if we had Frye and Amare it would have maybe worked...still could have traded Dudley for Bledsoe..most everything probably still could have happened. Might not have had the Dragic money but it seems we also spent money on Beasley and tried to give Gordon a max so maybe could have still signed Dragic.

Suns med staff wouldn't sign off, and rightfully so. The prediction was eerily accurate. But I always thought that having those 2 years of superstar Amare would of been interesting, and probably worth the second half of that bad contract (teams always have bad contracts to manage). We probably could've traded him to a desperate team at some point. He took his game up a notch - albeit only for a season where he was healthy, but that was amazing.

Those were truly dark times right after he left - games were so boring (excluding the Horniceck era) and one thought it couldn't get much worse... :lol:

We wouldn't have acquired Bledsoe, that was a McD move. McD wouldn't be there if Amare was still around. Possibly could have got Dragic back.

Beasley, Shannon Brown, VC, Warrick, Turk..the list goes on. My goodness. A short relief from the likes of Dragic, Frye, Green, Bledsoe, and then it started again with scrubs up and down the roster. I get physically ill just thinking about it.

I think we are forgetting to mention Amare's nation wide tour saying how good he would be on many teams, and not putting in the work to make our team better. It seemed like he burned the very bridge he was standing on. I was glad he moved on. I wasn't glad how we spent that money, or how we used the guys we tried to replace him. I think if we had traded Amare for David Lee, we could have kept things going in the right direction.

I am happy for Nash, he and Hill are still two of my favorite NBA players. I am not going to root for Brooklyn or anything, but I really think he will do well. I always felt he was the coach on the court, with D'Antoni being the cheerleader on the sideline screaming, "GO, GO, GO!"

Return to Phoenix Suns