ImageImageImage

Deandre Ayton news and discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Re: Deandre Ayton year 3, the next step 

Post#1021 » by NapoleonII » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:28 pm

The refs are following a narrative and probably a nudge from the NBA that a long, close series (better if Kawhi has a chance to come back) is in the best interest of everyone.

Playoffs are always physical, like probably about 30% more physical than regular season. We're allowed to be about 10% more physical, Clips are allowed to be about 40% more physical (and Bev allowed to be about 60% more physical).
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1022 » by RunDogGun » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:02 pm

NapoleonII wrote:The refs are following a narrative and probably a nudge from the NBA that a long, close series (better if Kawhi has a chance to come back) is in the best interest of everyone.

Playoffs are always physical, like probably about 30% more physical than regular season. We're allowed to be about 10% more physical, Clips are allowed to be about 40% more physical (and Bev allowed to be about 60% more physical).

The Clips were allowed to do the same thing in the Dallas series. For me, if the league needs to bend or break their own rules for money, it loses all credibility.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,511

Post#1023 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:49 am

Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) Tweeted:
19 points, 22 rebounds, 4 blocks and 3 assists for Deandre Ayton tonight in a team-high 41 minutes. Rare feat for a 22-year-old in a crucial playoff game. Ayton's defensive versatility, rebounding instincts and finishing ability on full display. https://t.co/vwZWEgJ8Tr
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,838

Post#1024 » by Saberestar » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:05 am

Read on Twitter
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#1025 » by suns12345 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yet another inside scoop :lol: :lol:
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1026 » by bigfoot » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:47 pm

suns12345 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

It wouldn't surprise me if Ayton works hard for the 30% max cap salary. He could garner either DPOY or all-NBA first, second, or third team next season and he would be eligible for it. If he's money-motivated it's good news for the Suns.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#1027 » by NapoleonII » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:48 pm

The amount of crow some of y'all are eating (I've got a decent amount too)....damn.

He's 22 years old.

He's 22 years old.

He's.....our MVP?
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1028 » by bigfoot » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:51 pm

NapoleonII wrote:The amount of crow some of y'all are eating (I've got a decent amount too)....damn.

He's 22 years old.

He's 22 years old.

He's.....our MVP?

Please join me for dinner
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1029 » by Bogyo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:40 pm

bigfoot wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:The amount of crow some of y'all are eating (I've got a decent amount too)....damn.

He's 22 years old.

He's 22 years old.

He's.....our MVP?

Same here, but I'm happy about it! :lol:

I just have to say that I have never ever seen such a huge turnaround for someone in the middle of the season from anyone on any team, and I've been watching the league for 30 years now. I mean in mid-march there were games when he was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off in some games, and he was disintrested and 0 effort in others - while having the occasional 1-2 good game streches here and there. I'm not sure how he did this 180 and then do the pedal to the metal, slam on the gas move. But good for him, good for the franchise, good for us as fans.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,838

Post#1030 » by Saberestar » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Bogyo wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

He's 22 years old.

He's 22 years old.

He's.....our MVP?

I just have to say that I have never ever seen such a huge turnaround for someone in the middle of the season from anyone on any team, and I've been watching the league for 30 years now. I mean in mid-march there were games when he was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off in some games, and he was disintrested and 0 effort in others - while having the occasional 1-2 good game streches here and there. I'm not sure how he did this 180 and then do the pedal to the metal, slam on the gas move. But good for him, good for the franchise, good for us as fans.

It has not been a HUGE turnaround IMO.

He is consistent now... everyone wanted to see consistency from him and he is delivering in the playoffs.

He was very good or great in a good amount of games, but then he had bad games here and there...but he showed so many times what he was capable to do on the court, his potential always was huge.

Consistency is the key word and with him playing very well on every game we can be
for real a contender for years to come.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,061

Post#1031 » by sunsbg » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:41 pm

Bogyo wrote:

That's what you call a backhanded compliment. Just learned one game can be called a stretch. :lol: Jk, man.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#1032 » by Calvin Klein » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:52 pm

He's 22 years old.

He's 22 years old.

He's.....our MVP?

it tastes great so far
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#1033 » by ATTL » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:28 pm

I've been a huge ayton supporter since before his freshman year at UofA, he was who I wanted the suns to draft over a year before we got him. His defense was frustrating at first. His inconsistency was frustrating this year but he playsled his role within the offense well.

Going forward he will be the defensive anchor and hopefully his offense continues to progress. Needs to work on that turn around and his handle still.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#1034 » by Wilber85 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:11 pm

Ya'll really acting like you haven't seen this Ayton before lol. That cracks me up even more.

Dude has always been a double-double machine and improving his defense from year 1 every single game. That is what its called to train, develop, and get coached.

He was best on offense his first two years, but what is amazing is his role, and how he is mature about it. He will score 12 pts in a quarter in the playoffs, and then they wont get it back to him or make plays for him which is mindboggling! Dude makes hustle points, and he is a stud.

All you talking smack, trying to trade him for scrubs, need to be jokic slapped.
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#1035 » by bhawk » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:40 pm

There is A LOT to love about Ayton’s progression. CP3 is clearly having a positive impact. He is a new dad, and there is no doubt that his wife? is in his ear about dominayting. It’s the playoffs, and he has stepped up his intensity.

Am I the only one who wants more? The dude has improved and the box scores look great, but Ayton could be so much better! It’s easy for me to say as a fan and I don’t have to fight Zubac for 41 minutes. But man I get so frustrated when he doesn’t box out or fight on every play. He was boxed out by Jackson a couple plays and Zubac consistently beats him up the court.

Ayton can do better. He could have had a 30x30 game in a blowout last night if he would have played with a little more passion, heart and fierce competitiveness. If you could put Bookers heart and alpha mentality into Ayton, he may be the best center ever!

I’ve said it before, Ayton is very young at 22 and he is growing up before our eyes. He could still be one of the greats, but he has to leave it ALL on the Floor EVERY night! He is STILL not playing to his potential. This should scare the rest of the league... and makes me giddy when I think how GOOD he will be!

Ayton was bad in Game 3, and a key reason we lost. He played like an agile 7 foot #1 draft pick pick in Game 4. We need to see Game 4 performances consistently! Game 4 is Aytons floor... not his ceiling.

You’ve come a long way BIG GUY... and if you’ve come this far, maybe you’re willing to come a little further? You remember the name of the town, don’t you? I could use a good man to help get my project on wheels.

(Project = NBA Championships!)
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,502

Post#1036 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:55 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

It has not been a HUGE turnaround IMO.

He is consistent now... everyone wanted to see consistency from him and he is delivering in the playoffs.

He was very good or great in a good amount of games, but then he had bad games here and there...but he showed so many times what he was capable to do on the court, his potential always was huge.

Consistency is the key word and with him playing very well on every game we can be
for real a contender for years to come.

He was solid defensively throughout the year..anchoring our highly ranked defense. He has some subpar rebounding games but everyone does which is why he was still among league leaders. He was highly efficient, and while this was due to a lot of easy finishes, he knew what to take...more insides shots and fewer midrange ones. He sometimes scored less, and averaged less, but usually due to fewer shots. He has screened well even if they may not look like great screens they are effective because he leads to more points off them than all but two players....sure a screen against a guy running full court without looking, being knocked over looks better, but it doesn't do as much for anything.

All our players were up and down as well.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,502

Post#1037 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:59 pm

bhawk wrote:There is A LOT to love about Ayton’s progression. CP3 is clearly having a positive impact. He is a new dad, and there is no doubt that his wife? is in his ear about dominayting. It’s the playoffs, and he has stepped up his intensity.

Am I the only one who wants more? The dude has improved and the box scores look great, but Ayton could be so much better! It’s easy for me to say as a fan and I don’t have to fight Zubac for 41 minutes. But man I get so frustrated when he doesn’t box out or fight on every play. He was boxed out by Jackson a couple plays and Zubac consistently beats him up the court.

Ayton can do better. He could have had a 30x30 game in a blowout last night if he would have played with a little more passion, heart and fierce competitiveness. If you could put Bookers heart and alpha mentality into Ayton, he may be the best center ever!

I’ve said it before, Ayton is very young at 22 and he is growing up before our eyes. He could still be one of the greats, but he has to leave it ALL on the Floor EVERY night! He is STILL not playing to his potential. This should scare the rest of the league... and makes me giddy when I think how GOOD he will be!

Ayton was bad in Game 3, and a key reason we lost. He played like an agile 7 foot #1 draft pick pick in Game 4. We need to see Game 4 performances consistently! Game 4 is Aytons floor... not his ceiling.

You’ve come a long way BIG GUY... and if you’ve come this far, maybe you’re willing to come a little further? You remember the name of the town, don’t you? I could use a good man to help get my project on wheels.

(Project = NBA Championships!)

More would be great, especially in the future. Not sure how much more he could be doing in these playoffs...he is dominating defensively and the most efficient guy ever, not just for his age, but for a guy with that many points in the playoffs so far. How much more can you expect now?

There are a number of other guys I would like to see A LOT more from on a nightly basis, including some big names who are paid 3 or 4 times the amount that Ayton is.
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 527

Post#1038 » by Jay_Sizzle » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:23 pm

I think Ayton is doing much better using his fouls effectively. Zubac had some open dunks, that I think Ayton would have tried to block in the past. He is doing a better job of recognizing when/ when not to engage. This kind of discipline is really impressive and shows he is still continuing to improve on D.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,511

Post#1039 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:10 pm

Evan Sidery (@esidery) Tweeted:
Deandre Ayton has completely dominated the Clippers when they go to their small-ball lineup.

Ayton is shooting an absurd 88.9% when Marcus Morris or Paul George is defending him.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Evan Sidery (@esidery) Tweeted:
When switched onto Deandre Ayton, Paul George and Reggie Jackson are shooting a combined 12-of-41 (29.3%):

George = 4-of-17 FGA; 2-of-8 3PA
Jackson = 8-of-24 FGA; 1-of-11 3PA
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,192

Post#1040 » by Slim Charless » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:48 pm

bigfoot wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

It wouldn't surprise me if Ayton works hard for the 30% max cap salary. He could garner either DPOY or all-NBA first, second, or third team next season and he would be eligible for it. If he's money-motivated it's good news for the Suns.

All the more reason why we need to sign him now- before he can hit those levels and drive his price up even more.

Return to Phoenix Suns