ImageImageImage

Deandre Ayton news and discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Re: Deandre Ayton year 3, the next step 

Post#61 » by RedIndian » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:45 am

Ayton's offense was much of the same today - too many mid range jumpers and slightly hesitant while taking that 3 ball. CP3 should hopefully be in his ear about this soon.

That said, I was impressed by his physicality today against Gobert. If that's the tone he's going to set as an enforcer for this team, I'd be quite happy.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#63 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:43 pm

RedIndian wrote:Ayton's offense was much of the same today - too many mid range jumpers and slightly hesitant while taking that 3 ball. CP3 should hopefully be in his ear about this soon.

That said, I was impressed by his physicality today against Gobert. If that's the tone he's going to set as an enforcer for this team, I'd be quite happy.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He will be WAY more productive with Paul getting him easy baskets than Payne. The only guy good at setting him up out there is Bridges...and he doesn't get the ball much.

Plus, Paul getting into his hear and just teaching him will be extremely valuable. He was still our 2nd most efficient starter after Bridges and 3rd most efficient double digit scorer behind Bridges and Galloway, along with 14 boards and 3 steals. This in the first game without a PG.

And yes, the physicality was really impressive...if we get that out of him, that will make a big difference...the screens and the scrapping with other solid centers..not being intimidated any more.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,386

Post#64 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:26 pm

sunsbg wrote:https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020/12/13/22172373/phoenix-suns-booker-deandre-ayton-aggression-help-chris-paul

Its good to hear that they’re on him about being aggressive. I liked that move he did where he got fouled. Hopefully we see more of that
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Maze
Bench Warmer
And1: 960

Post#65 » by Maze » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:28 pm

RedIndian wrote:Ayton's offense was much of the same today - too many mid range jumpers and slightly hesitant while taking that 3 ball. CP3 should hopefully be in his ear about this soon.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wow! That's the most aggressive I've ever seen him play.I think CP3's been in his ear.Keep that aggression and learn how to dribble.Sky's the limit for this guy if the light bulb ever comes on.
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#66 » by GoodBehavior » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:20 pm

He's gotten considerably stronger.

I am fine with the increased aggression, but it looked like he was trying to hurt people out there. I didn't see anything egregious from Gobert or Ingles to justify why he's trying to take their head off.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,181

Post#67 » by Frank Lee » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:23 pm

How much weight can he carry? May be another 15-25 lbs?
He needs it.

And that forearm shiver to Gobert? DA pulls that **** on most other bigs and Hes going to find out the difference between being aggressive and being a tough guy. Keep it up and I see a shove around / stretched out jersey in his future. He’d better hope his “hold me back, hold me back “ committee is in place. Honestly, you think Boogie would have put up with that... Adams? Nurk or Jordan? Shoot, Kantor would have been tossed immediately

DA hasn’t put the fear in anyone. He is still trying to get over his own knee shaking.
But give him a few more pounds and a couple yrs.... he ought to rank in the top 7-8 ... I’ve conceded to him only being about 80% of what he could be.
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#68 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:58 pm

I don't think Ayton should try to put on too many lbs yet, but let him beef up slowly as he can retain more muscle and stay athletic and have plenty of stamina.

I think him pushing a guy like Gobert around is a good thing. It's certainly better than being timid and eventually it will more show out in his play and battling for rebounds/scoring against them.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#69 » by cberry78 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Maze wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wow! That's the most aggressive I've ever seen him play.I think CP3's been in his ear.Keep that aggression and learn how to dribble.Sky's the limit for this guy if the light bulb ever comes on.

I missed most of the game, does anyone know if there was anything that led up to that first shove on Gobert? I mean, obviously, there probably was trash-talking, but was there any physical pushing around before this clip?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#70 » by Frank Lee » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:32 am

bwgood77 wrote:I don't think Ayton should try to put on too many lbs yet, but let him beef up slowly as he can retain more muscle and stay athletic and have plenty of stamina.

I think him pushing a guy like Gobert around is a good thing. It's certainly better than being timid and eventually it will more show out in his play and battling for rebounds/scoring against them.

You are likely right, but in a two yr stretch 15 -20 lbs isn’t that drastic... and he’s never had plenty of stamina anyway. I guess it’s a good thing he got a little pushyshovy with The Big Rude, as it was a halfa**ed attempt at boxing out... this ‘aggression’ thing is new, and It’s hard for him to maintain 100% ‘that’s my mothaEffing ball’ effort. That’s all I’d like to see, just one stretch of games where he decides every rebound is his.

I should just refrain from discussing the Big 3quarter Throttle. My bias goes back to day 1. :wink:
What ? Me Worry ?
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#71 » by bigfoot » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:31 am

Read on Twitter

Maybe a bit more focus on your job is in order
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#72 » by RedIndian » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:33 am

He was awful today.
Maze
Bench Warmer
And1: 960

Post#73 » by Maze » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:36 am

bigfoot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe a bit more focus on your job is in order

This guy annoys me to no end :nonono:
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,816

Post#74 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:08 am

This third season will say everything about Ayton.

I was cautiously happy with his play before the bubble, but in Orlando he regressed and that worried me.

He is talented and has amazing physical tools, but those attributes can only carry him to where he is now. No All Star, not even a borderline All Star player and obviously not a max guy.

Every remarkable signing or trade that James Jones has done after taking over has brought in smart and hard worker basketball players, and Ayton for now does not look any of that.

Kokoskov already said "he needs to be in better shape" multiple times in his rookie season, so that is a recurring stuff.

He looks a nice guy and his potential as a franchise C on the Suns is huge yet but he needs to start showing consistent effort and better awareness from now on.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#75 » by Revived » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Saberestar wrote:This third season will say everything about Ayton.

I was cautiously happy with his play before the bubble, but in Orlando he regressed and that worried me.

He is talented and has amazing physical tools, but those attributes can only carry him to where he is now. No All Star, not even a borderline All Star player and obviously not a max guy.

Every remarkable signing or trade that James Jones has done after taking over has brought in smart and hard worker basketball players, and Ayton for now does not look any of that.

Kokoskov already said "he needs to be in better shape" multiple times in his rookie season, so that is a recurring stuff.

He looks a nice guy and his potential as a franchise C on the Suns is huge yet but he needs to start showing consistent effort and better awareness from now on.

Yup I said the same thing. Ayton was amazing before the bubble after he came back from suspension. Especially with significant improvements defensively. There was a time when he led the entire league in many advanced defensive metrics. He rotated well and showed effort in protecting the rim. However, he lost all of that in the bubble.

I wonder how much of an impact Baynes had on him. Baynes didn’t play in the bubble obviously but he played well for us in the reg season and I think he inspired Ayton to play better defensively.

This is the main reason me and I think bwgood both wanted the Suns to re-sign Baynes no matter the cost. He was taking Ayton under his wing and improving him defensively.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#76 » by Frank Lee » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:55 pm

The writing was on the wall early ...
What ? Me Worry ?
bigfoot

Post#77 » by bigfoot » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Sheandre thinks better shape means more lifting but in fact, he has no cardio ability to get up and down the court. Seems to me he just doesn't like the running part of basketball.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,038

Post#78 » by sunsbg » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:38 pm

bigfoot wrote:

Sheandre thinks better shape means more lifting but in fact, he has no cardio ability to get up and down the court. Seems to me he just doesn't like the running part of basketball.

I doubt many 7-footers like the running part. The league screwed the big men, that's for sure. Paul especially at this age is not a fast-break, but half-court oriented PG, so that should help offensively.
bigfoot

Post#79 » by bigfoot » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:03 pm

sunsbg wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

I doubt many 7-footers like the running part. The league screwed the big men, that's for sure. Paul especially at this age is not a fast-break, but half-court oriented PG, so that should help offensively.

Not sure how the league screwed big men. The 3 point shot did it when combined with analytics.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#80 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm not going to get worked up about preseason but Monty publicity mentioning his conditioning is absolutely a concern. Come on man take your **** job seriously.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns