ImageImageImage

Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

User avatar
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
Posts: 5,053
And1: 6,661
Joined: Apr 22, 2016
Location: Phoenix
   

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#581 » by darealjuice » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:43 pm

Bummer knowing that Haliburton supposedly wanted to come to Phoenix or Sacramento. I'm obviously still hopeful for Jalen, but it felt like we ignored both BPA and best fit at the time, and it feels even worse now lol.
matt131
Veteran
Posts: 2,800
And1: 2,425
Joined: Jun 19, 2014
   

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#582 » by matt131 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:50 pm

darealjuice wrote:Bummer knowing that Haliburton supposedly wanted to come to Phoenix or Sacramento. I'm obviously still hopeful for Jalen, but it felt like we ignored both BPA and best fit at the time, and it feels even worse now lol.
Where did you hear he wanted to go to Phoenix? All I've heard is that he supposedly didn't release his medicals to any team other than Sacramento.
User avatar
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
Posts: 5,053
And1: 6,661
Joined: Apr 22, 2016
Location: Phoenix
   

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#583 » by darealjuice » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:07 pm

matt131 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:Bummer knowing that Haliburton supposedly wanted to come to Phoenix or Sacramento. I'm obviously still hopeful for Jalen, but it felt like we ignored both BPA and best fit at the time, and it feels even worse now lol.
Where did you hear he wanted to go to Phoenix? All I've heard is that he supposedly didn't release his medicals to any team other than Sacramento.


I saw a post on Reddit a few days ago citing a podcast with someone like Lowe, Marks, or someone along those lines saying that Haliburton was trying to force his way to Phoenix or Sacramento, but we weren't interested. I could be misremembering though, I haven't been able to track down the post.
spanishninja
Starter
Posts: 2,287
And1: 1,430
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#584 » by spanishninja » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:22 pm

Revived wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Yeah, I noticed Beal was 20 for 33 and 7-8 from 3 in the beginning of the 4th and finished 20-35 and 7-10 from 3. He shot better than Book but Book got to the line a lot more which was good.


Beal's line was tougher imo because that was a game the Wiz rallied back to make it close in the 4th. They were probably covering him like crazy towards the end.

We rallied back in Book's 70 pt game as well and cut a large deficit into a single digit one. IIRC, Boston embarrassingly had to reinsert its starters, it got too close.


eh, i dunno about that. it was still a double digit margin even late in the game, while the Wizards tied the game I think at one point? I think Philly definitely tried harder to stop Beal, who shot 1-6 in the fourth i think.
Revived
RealGM
Posts: 27,083
And1: 12,625
Joined: Feb 17, 2011

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#585 » by Revived » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:30 pm

spanishninja wrote:
Revived wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
Beal's line was tougher imo because that was a game the Wiz rallied back to make it close in the 4th. They were probably covering him like crazy towards the end.

We rallied back in Book's 70 pt game as well and cut a large deficit into a single digit one. IIRC, Boston embarrassingly had to reinsert its starters, it got too close.


eh, i dunno about that. it was still a double digit margin even late in the game, while the Wizards tied the game I think at one point? I think Philly definitely tried harder to stop Beal, who shot 1-6 in the fourth i think.

I stand corrected but we did cut the lead to 10 within the final 1:10 and Boston re-inserted its starters including their All Star PG towards the end because the outcome wasn’t certain.

You can check the play by play for it here

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400900471

Beal did make more of a game out of it though. He needs to get the hell out of Washington as soon as possible.
User avatar
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
Posts: 5,053
And1: 6,661
Joined: Apr 22, 2016
Location: Phoenix
   

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#586 » by darealjuice » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:37 pm

Read on Twitter


Potential storm brewing in Atlanta
matt131
Veteran
Posts: 2,800
And1: 2,425
Joined: Jun 19, 2014
   

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#587 » by matt131 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:08 pm

darealjuice wrote:
matt131 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:Bummer knowing that Haliburton supposedly wanted to come to Phoenix or Sacramento. I'm obviously still hopeful for Jalen, but it felt like we ignored both BPA and best fit at the time, and it feels even worse now lol.
Where did you hear he wanted to go to Phoenix? All I've heard is that he supposedly didn't release his medicals to any team other than Sacramento.


I saw a post on Reddit a few days ago citing a podcast with someone like Lowe, Marks, or someone along those lines saying that Haliburton was trying to force his way to Phoenix or Sacramento, but we weren't interested. I could be misremembering though, I haven't been able to track down the post.


Found this: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article247300064.html

Also just scanned through the Lowe Post Podcast with Jonathan Givony from Nov. 19.

Sounds like Dallas was offering 18, 31, and something else for a pick 7 through 11 trying to get Haliburton. That would have been an interesting trade for us to make with them (not sure if they were necessarily offering it to us though).

Givony said that Halibruton and Avdija fell so far because their agents and the players "hated" the teams drafting in the top 10 (I guess that included us...sad). They were very selective with which teams got medicals and agents were openly telling teams "don't take my guy." Givony said Haliburton could have gone 6 but he wanted to sacrifice the money to play in Sacramento.

Givony did say that Phoenix locked in on Smith early. He also said that Phoenix was told "Haliburton is coming your way, get ready," meaning that he would be there at 10. Givony said the Suns basically responded with "Nah, we're good. We already have our guy." (Givony hates Smith btw lol)

No mention of him wanting to go to Phoenix at all.

Would have been interesting to trade with Dallas for 18, 31, and something else to give them Haliburton at 10, but perhaps we really wanted Smith and didn't think he'd be there at 18 (I know this has been discussed on this forum before). Only time will tell what the right move was.

Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse here with this post. I have a feeling that Jones would have taken whoever he wanted to no matter what that player or his agent said, but I think it's slightly less worse to pass on Haliburton when he was openly trying to get to another team.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 69,243
And1: 39,740
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#588 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:52 pm

darealjuice wrote:
matt131 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:Bummer knowing that Haliburton supposedly wanted to come to Phoenix or Sacramento. I'm obviously still hopeful for Jalen, but it felt like we ignored both BPA and best fit at the time, and it feels even worse now lol.
Where did you hear he wanted to go to Phoenix? All I've heard is that he supposedly didn't release his medicals to any team other than Sacramento.


I saw a post on Reddit a few days ago citing a podcast with someone like Lowe, Marks, or someone along those lines saying that Haliburton was trying to force his way to Phoenix or Sacramento, but we weren't interested. I could be misremembering though, I haven't been able to track down the post.


That just seems so weird we were not interested..really makes no sense. He's the perfect 3rd guard...I mean at the time, we didn't totally know what we had in Payne...I mean maybe the coaches did but it's improbably.

But anyway, Haliburton would be more of a better backup at 2 and PG insurance...even when Paul is gone we need a 3rd guard, backup PG.

I do like Jalen Smith, just still a weird pick with Haliburton there.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 69,243
And1: 39,740
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#589 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:55 pm

darealjuice wrote:
Read on Twitter


Potential storm brewing in Atlanta


Probably not the best idea to complain about Trae being at the helm.

Collins would have trade value though, and with Gallinari, and if Hunter can play the 4 since they have Capela and in the future, Okongwu at the 5, they could afford a trade...and kind of clear up the wing rotation with a 3 SG/SF rotation of Bogdan/Huerter/Reddish.

Could be nothing though.

Here is what was said:

Collins talked about the need to get into offensive sets more quickly and to limit all those early shot-clock attempts that leave his teammates on the outside looking in. He shared his desire to be more involved and expressed a desire for more ball involvement and flow on offense.

There was no back-and-forth between the two, but the pointed criticism caught the attention of the room. And Young, sources say, made it clear to others later that he strongly disagreed with Collins’ assessment.

“Trae is my brother regardless,” Collins, who chose not to elaborate further, told The Athletic via text message when he was asked about the situation.


Ultimately I think discussion like this is good, as long as people don't take it personally. Better that than to just be pissed off. Eventually if he doesn't like it he could ask out.

I don't watch the Hawks much but would probably agree with him if Trae just dribbles down and launches long 3s on occasion without there being any ball movement.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 15,833
And1: 11,090
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#590 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
Read on Twitter


Potential storm brewing in Atlanta


Probably not the best idea to complain about Trae being at the helm.

Collins would have trade value though, and with Gallinari, and if Hunter can play the 4 since they have Capela and in the future, Okongwu at the 5, they could afford a trade...and kind of clear up the wing rotation with a 3 SG/SF rotation of Bogdan/Huerter/Reddish.

Could be nothing though.

Here is what was said:

Collins talked about the need to get into offensive sets more quickly and to limit all those early shot-clock attempts that leave his teammates on the outside looking in. He shared his desire to be more involved and expressed a desire for more ball involvement and flow on offense.

There was no back-and-forth between the two, but the pointed criticism caught the attention of the room. And Young, sources say, made it clear to others later that he strongly disagreed with Collins’ assessment.

“Trae is my brother regardless,” Collins, who chose not to elaborate further, told The Athletic via text message when he was asked about the situation.


Ultimately I think discussion like this is good, as long as people don't take it personally. Better that than to just be pissed off. Eventually if he doesn't like it he could ask out.

I don't watch the Hawks much but would probably agree with him if Trae just dribbles down and launches long 3s on occasion without there being any ball movement.
This isn't surprising at all. Collins wants to get paid and needs his numbers to get the contract he wants. It's stuff like this that makes me appreciate how Ayton has handled himself this year.

Now I also think Trae isn't super fun to play with for a lot of guys. All the ultra high usage guards take a special group of role players around them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
spanishninja
Starter
Posts: 2,287
And1: 1,430
Joined: Jan 07, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#591 » by spanishninja » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:26 pm

are you guys starting to get worried that they'll cancel this season now that we're finally good? They really need to get vaccinated soon.
matt131
Veteran
Posts: 2,800
And1: 2,425
Joined: Jun 19, 2014
   

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#592 » by matt131 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:59 pm

spanishninja wrote:are you guys starting to get worried that they'll cancel this season now that we're finally good? They really need to get vaccinated soon.
Yeah I've had thoughts of that recently with more teams having more positive tests. Obviously, the pandemic is a bigger issue than basketball, but within the basketball universe, it woul suck sooooo bad for this season to be canceled since we are doing so well and with our success hinging a lot on an aging point guard.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 15,833
And1: 11,090
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#593 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:23 pm

spanishninja wrote:are you guys starting to get worried that they'll cancel this season now that we're finally good? They really need to get vaccinated soon.
It would take some real extreme stuff for them to cancel the season but I'm definitely worried that covid can **** it up and I always assumed at least one good team would basically miss the playoffs because they have a bad outbreak.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 24,185
And1: 12,221
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#594 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:31 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Tough watching haliburton playing so well knowing he was right there for us to snag... Also Chris paul is gone in 2 years and we dont have a real replacement yet.

On the flip side of things I love the roster JJ put together. And Smith has barely got any run yet... Could be a good player too.

Image
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 16,241
And1: 8,976
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Contact:
     

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#595 » by Qwigglez » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:27 pm

spanishninja wrote:are you guys starting to get worried that they'll cancel this season now that we're finally good? They really need to get vaccinated soon.

It’ll be Suns like for us to finish with the best record in the league followed up by this season getting cancelled. Suns end up with the 30th pick in the 2021 draft.
User avatar
King4Day
General Manager
Posts: 7,547
And1: 4,693
Joined: Dec 11, 2010
Location: Pandora
         

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#597 » by King4Day » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:37 am

spanishninja wrote:are you guys starting to get worried that they'll cancel this season now that we're finally good? They really need to get vaccinated soon.


0 chance. MLB had it worse than this.
Gotta remember, these people are testing positive a week after new years. Everyone was probably partying.
Should improve after this wave gets better.
Formerly DarkHawk
User avatar
King4Day
General Manager
Posts: 7,547
And1: 4,693
Joined: Dec 11, 2010
Location: Pandora
         

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#598 » by King4Day » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:37 am

Formerly DarkHawk
Bogyo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,695
And1: 920
Joined: Jul 29, 2013

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#599 » by Bogyo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:48 am

matt131 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
matt131 wrote:Where did you hear he wanted to go to Phoenix? All I've heard is that he supposedly didn't release his medicals to any team other than Sacramento.


I saw a post on Reddit a few days ago citing a podcast with someone like Lowe, Marks, or someone along those lines saying that Haliburton was trying to force his way to Phoenix or Sacramento, but we weren't interested. I could be misremembering though, I haven't been able to track down the post.


Found this: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article247300064.html

Also just scanned through the Lowe Post Podcast with Jonathan Givony from Nov. 19.

Sounds like Dallas was offering 18, 31, and something else for a pick 7 through 11 trying to get Haliburton. That would have been an interesting trade for us to make with them (not sure if they were necessarily offering it to us though).

Givony said that Halibruton and Avdija fell so far because their agents and the players "hated" the teams drafting in the top 10 (I guess that included us...sad). They were very selective with which teams got medicals and agents were openly telling teams "don't take my guy." Givony said Haliburton could have gone 6 but he wanted to sacrifice the money to play in Sacramento.

Givony did say that Phoenix locked in on Smith early. He also said that Phoenix was told "Haliburton is coming your way, get ready," meaning that he would be there at 10. Givony said the Suns basically responded with "Nah, we're good. We already have our guy." (Givony hates Smith btw lol)

No mention of him wanting to go to Phoenix at all.

Would have been interesting to trade with Dallas for 18, 31, and something else to give them Haliburton at 10, but perhaps we really wanted Smith and didn't think he'd be there at 18 (I know this has been discussed on this forum before). Only time will tell what the right move was.

Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse here with this post. I have a feeling that Jones would have taken whoever he wanted to no matter what that player or his agent said, but I think it's slightly less worse to pass on Haliburton when he was openly trying to get to another team.


Not surprising at all, really. The exact same stubborn "I got my guy", "i know best, I'll raise the floor, don't care about the rest" attidute that went down with most of our other moves under JJ. But since we haven't sniffed the POs in 10 years, everything is rosy with that.
User avatar
King4Day
General Manager
Posts: 7,547
And1: 4,693
Joined: Dec 11, 2010
Location: Pandora
         

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 - Rookie Watch and other Highlight Performances 

Post#600 » by King4Day » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:27 pm

I can't blame Hliburton if he didn't want to come here. He'd be at the end of the bench behind Paul, Book, Payne, and Carter. I doubt he had malicious intent if the story is true. He could thrive in Sac and he is. I'm just happy he's not with the Spurs.

And regarding the Dallas idea, I don't think Smith falls that far so probably better off. Besides, the last thing we need to do is help Dallas improve.
Formerly DarkHawk

Return to Phoenix Suns