ImageImageImage

2020 Preseason Speculation - Lineup battles underway

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,457

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - CPfree or CPexpensive? 

Post#21 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:10 pm

So only 14% would give up our pick in a trade for Paul. I was thinking it was more than that. Good to see most see that would definitely be lopsided value. And over 25% wouldn't even do the trade at all, even without the pick.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#22 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:12 pm

ray ray wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:God! I really loathe the Flakers!
:nonono: I hope that this means that Paul deal is gonna go through though. :nod:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

That means two things IMO

1) Chris Paul deal will most likely be announced later on the week (Friday) because the Suns will use their cap space to strengthen their roster..

2) OKC is staying firm that they don’t want Rubio and the Suns need to look someone to take on his contract which will be hard..

Last thing I heard mid day yesterday was, CP3 WANTS to come to Phx and play with Booker and the feeling is mutual ..so that puts pressure on the suns to get something done.

80%-20% it gets completed from what I’m being told ...!but it’s not a foregone conclusion that it’s done
They could announce the trade whenever but it won't actually be executed until after the new league year starts.

Even this Lakers trade can't actually be executed until after the draft because the Lakers technically can't trade that pick because they owe NO next year's pick.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#23 » by BobbieL » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:15 pm

matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

25 and 28 for 10?

I am thinking something like 25 for 10 and 28 to move Rubio to another team
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#24 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:So only 14% would give up our pick in a trade for Paul. I was thinking it was more than that. Good to see most see that would definitely be lopsided value. And over 25% wouldn't even do the trade at all, even without the pick.

Plus I skewed the results. :D
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#25 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:20 pm

It's sucks that this is the reality of the NBA but if Booker and CAA want this Paul deal done then the suns start treading into really dangerous waters if it doesn't happen.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#26 » by Mjee » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:33 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:It's sucks that this is the reality of the NBA but if Booker and CAA want this Paul deal done then the suns start treading into really dangerous waters if it doesn't happen.

100% !!! Gotta keep book happy ... this must/needs to happen at this point
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#27 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:46 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:So only 14% would give up our pick in a trade for Paul. I was thinking it was more than that. Good to see most see that would definitely be lopsided value. And over 25% wouldn't even do the trade at all, even without the pick.

Saying you would give up the pick?

And you said the other day from the Suns side you wouldn't give it up, or at least from the OKC side you would have been happy just getting expirings, so didn't think it was worth it from the Suns side to include it.
Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#28 » by Blackification » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:46 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:It's sucks that this is the reality of the NBA but if Booker and CAA want this Paul deal done then the suns start treading into really dangerous waters if it doesn't happen.

Between Book not getting what he wants and two players with big impact to team chemistry being involved in the trade offer you don’t land in a good spot at all.

Which is why I could see Presti leaking the deal to put some pressure on Jones to get it done.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#29 » by DirtyDez » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:50 pm

A good GM keeps #10 and gets one of the Thunder picks in a Paul deal.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#30 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Blackification wrote:

Between Book not getting what he wants and two players with big impact to team chemistry being involved in the trade offer you don’t land in a good spot at all.

Which is why I could see Presti leaking the deal to put some pressure on Jones to get it done.
And the biggest agency group in the NBA with influence over lots of players.

Again I hate that this **** matters but it does.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#31 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Honestly I don't think Rubio would care that much if he came back (if that is what you are implying) and Kelly would likely be happy like he always is and make the best of whatever situation he is in.

Now if you are talking about Booker being upset, that could be different, but he still has 4 years on his deal..so we wouldn't have to do anything and we'd likely be very competitive this year. If we were forced to trade him we would have a ton of leverage...but we couldn't really be forced.

No max guy has really forced a trade with that much time left on their contract...that I can remember...not sure how much time Kyrie had but I think only a couple years.

Players get over these things and move on...as they always say, "it's a business". I still think the chances are greater he asks out in a in 3 years if we do get Paul, make the playoffs, and then don't 3 years from now.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#32 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:52 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Saying you would give up the pick?

And you said the other day from the Suns side you wouldn't give it up, or at least from the OKC side you would have been happy just getting expirings, so didn't think it was worth it from the Suns side to include it.

I votes I would if absolutely necessary but my selfish motives skewed my vote.

On a serious note, if the thunder are trying to get 10, they now have another asset to swap with Phoenix, 26 & 28. Seems like the dominoes could fall quickly one way or the other. I think the return okc got for Schroder, (not great) bodes well for Phoenix about getting Paul for less if a deal comes to fruition.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:53 pm

DirtyDez wrote:A good GM keeps #10 and gets one of the Thunder picks in a Paul deal.

Agreed. Presti may not be forced to do anything but neither are we. We should have demanded a pick from the beginning so at worst we end up in the middle and no picks move. But we are taking on all the money and huge risk with his age/injury history.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#34 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:56 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Honestly I don't think Rubio would care that much if he came back (if that is what you are implying) and Kelly would likely be happy like he always is and make the best of whatever situation he is in.

Now if you are talking about Booker being upset, that could be different, but he still has 4 years on his deal..so we wouldn't have to do anything and we'd likely be very competitive this year. If we were forced to trade him we would have a ton of leverage...but we couldn't really be forced.

No max guy has really forced a trade with that much time left on their contract...that I can remember...not sure how much time Kyrie had but I think only a couple years.

Players get over these things and move on...as they always say, "it's a business". I still think the chance are greater he asks out in a in 3 years if we do get Paul, make the playoffs, and then don't 3 years from now.
I wasn't referring to Rubio and Oubre although it could be awkward if they return. But ultimately Rubio is a pro and Oubre is playing for a contract so it's not like he would dog it.

It's Booker and CAA I worry about.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:06 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Players get over these things and move on...as they always say, "it's a business". I still think the chance are greater he asks out in a in 3 years if we do get Paul, make the playoffs, and then don't 3 years from now.
I wasn't referring to Rubio and Oubre although it could be awkward if they return. But ultimately Rubio is a pro and Oubre is playing for a contract so it's not like he would dog it.

Why CAA? Are they Paul's agent? Ultimately it's up to Booker what he will want to do in his next contract. You're not worried that Booker would be the first max player (or certainly one of the first) to ask out with 4 years, or even 3 or 3.5 left on his contract are you?

I wouldn't let players dictate trades, or at least too much in what you gave up.

Even though McD would have drafted Ayton anyway, he kept mentioning how Booker and Jackson wanted Ayton. I don't think appeasing Booker with that pick over Doncic would have been the right move either if they simply thought it would make Booker happier.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#36 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:08 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Why CAA? Are they Paul's agent? Ultimately it's up to Booker what he will want to do in his next contract.
Yup as I was mentioning earlier Paul and Booker are both CAA guys, so is Gallo. CAA is the biggest most powerful agency in the NBA. I personally hate how much power agents have but they do weild power.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:11 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I wasn't referring to Rubio and Oubre although it could be awkward if they return. But ultimately Rubio is a pro and Oubre is playing for a contract so it's not like he would dog it.

Why CAA? Are they Paul's agent? Ultimately it's up to Booker what he will want to do in his next contract.
Yup as I was mentioning earlier Paul and Booker are both CAA guys, so is Gallo. CAA is the biggest most powerful agency in the NBA. I personally hate how much power agents have but they do weild power.

I edited the above, I guess after you started your reply to add:

You're not worried that Booker would be the first max player (or certainly one of the first) to ask out with 4 years, or even 3 or 3.5 left on his contract are you?

I wouldn't let players dictate trades, or at least too much in what you gave up.

Even though McD would have drafted Ayton anyway, he kept mentioning how Booker and Jackson wanted Ayton. I don't think appeasing Booker with that pick over Doncic would have been the right move either if they simply thought it would make Booker happier.

I also know agents hold power, but still, ultimately they work for the players...I don't exactly know what you would expect they might do (or could do) if they deal doesn't go through.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#38 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I edited the above, I guess after you started your reply to add:

You're not worried that Booker would be the first max player (or certainly one of the first) to ask out with 4 years, or even 3 or 3.5 left on his contract are you?

I also know agents hold power, but still, ultimately they work for the players...I don't exactly know what you would expect they might do (or could do) if they deal doesn't go through.
Yeah it's a fine line and you can't let players be GMs. If they don't make this trade whatever they do next better work. No I don't think booker can or will force his way out now but seeds get planted now that sprout later.

BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#39 » by BobbieL » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:21 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

If the deal falls through -- the Suns need to just put together a good winning team for Booker. But he might be mad - who knows. I wonder if Booker realizes he is getting a 35 year old CP3
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#40 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:27 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

If the deal falls through -- the Suns need to just put together a good winning team for Booker. But he might be mad - who knows. I wonder if Booker realizes he is getting a 35 year old CP3

Seems like he would have been more mad about not getting DLo or even possibly Kyrie.

My guess is this: Sarver got impatient and the idea for Paul got floated and Paul liked the idea, and then Booker is on board. No one knows for sure if Booker is adamant this go through and he wants the team to move on from Oubre and Rubio, both of whom I think he likes. I think Booker would be good if it happened and fine if it didn't.

Return to Phoenix Suns