ImageImageImage

2020 Preseason Speculation - Lineup battles underway

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - CP3 added...who's next? 

Post#3101 » by Adrao » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Do we need more moves? Have we got salary cap?
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#3102 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I wonder if OKC keeps all of those players (george hill...)
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,910

Post#3103 » by Fo-Real » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 pm

More useful than Diallo.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#3104 » by Barkley6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Adrao wrote:Do we need more moves? Have we got salary cap?

We are over the cap, but still have roster spots to fill. We still have the bi annual exception to use, and we can also sign anyone for the vet minimum.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,437

Post#3105 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:43 pm

matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

If the Thunder release Hill, I'd love to finish up with signing him, And then Shaquille Harrison ( 1), or Ryan Broekhoff ( 2) or Jordan McCrae ( 3) at the shooting guard spot. Good to go from that point.
** Maybe pick up 1 or two more young undrafted prospects for G league draft and stash injury insurance?

If we can't get Hill, We absolutely need to sign Reggie Jackson! And then add either Harrison or McCrae at the 2. :wink:
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#3106 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#3107 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Barkley6
Veteran

Post#3108 » by Barkley6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:50 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

If the Thunder release Hill, I'd love to finish up with signing him, And then Shaquille Harrison ( 1), or Ryan Broekhoff ( 2) or Jordan McCrae ( 3) at the shooting guard spot. Good to go from that point.
** Maybe pick up 1 or two more young undrafted prospects for G league draft and stash injury insurance?

If we can't get Hill, We absolutely need to sign Reggie Jackson! And then add either Harrison or McCrae at the 2. :wink:

McRae cant shoot. I'll pass.
Harrison cant shoot. I'll pass.
Broekhoff can shoot. But he can't do anything else. I'll pass. He only played in 17 games last year despite hitting 40% from 3. That tells me he's got nothing else to his game but a shot.

We need somoene who can score consistently off the bench and can knock down 3s. None of these guys are that. We need a Hill, Galloway, Jackson, Moore type.
Barkley6
Veteran

Post#3109 » by Barkley6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:58 pm

I was reading Jones' draft profile and interestingly it talked about him having range out to 18ft and a 'developing jump shot'

Wonder where that's been since he came to the NBA?

If we could coax a little bit of that out of him....could be a sweet pickup.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#3110 » by BobbieL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:59 pm

matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

It does seem like Hill might be a candidate for buy out purposes
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,150

Post#3111 » by Revived » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Barkley6 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

McRae cant shoot. I'll pass.
Harrison cant shoot. I'll pass.
Broekhoff can shoot. But he can't do anything else. I'll pass. He only played in 17 games last year despite hitting 40% from 3. That tells me he's got nothing else to his game but a shot.

We need somoene who can score consistently off the bench and can knock down 3s. None of these guys are that. We need a Hill, Galloway, Jackson, Moore type.

How about Jordan McLaughlin?
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#3112 » by Flying Colors » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 pm

If Hill was bought out then who would be our biggest competition at signing him at this point?
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#3113 » by Adrao » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Barkley6 wrote:

We are over the cap, but still have roster spots to fill. We still have the bi annual exception to use, and we can also sign anyone for the vet minimum.

PG: Paul, Payne, Okobo
SG: Booker, Carter, Alexander
SF: Bridges, Nader
PF: Cameron, Crowder
C: Ayton, Smith, Jones

13 players.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,355

Post#3114 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 pm

Kerrsed wrote:Ok, so Lakers have Harrell at C and still have McGee. Word is they are still looking for some Beef there (Need some size) and thats why they are after Gasol. Would Baynes fit the bill, of course, problem is they dont have the cash. it would have to be a sign and trade, and there is no way im helping the Lakers get Baynes. I hear if they dont get Gasol they just might retain Cousins. He tore his ACL a month prior to the start of the season and will is supposedly ready to play. McGee/Cousins should be fine in the 12 or so minutes off the bench that Harrell isnt playing.

Honestly there isnt much from "Contending Teams" that we could get for Baynes as there isnt many of them that still have a major need for a C. I'd just talk to him and tell him, "Look, we got a nice squad, stay here for the year and he can test out FA next season to see if he can land somewhere better for more money". If thats a no go and he still wants out, well good luck, there arnt many good teams left that have money to pay him and we wont do a S&T that we dont like the return. Leave the ball in his court as what to do.

I'm a little behind, so maybe something has happened, but I don't see a Baynes S&T happening. I do think the teams with the biggest need for him will be Toronto (if they don't keep Gasol) or possibly Brooklyn might want him if they wanted Serge, but they do have Jordan and Allen (though they could trade Allen in a Harden trade)..though if I were them I'd stay away from Harden...I'm sure D'Antoni is telling him Nash/GM to stay away.

Then Minnesota...they don't seem to have much for bigs behind Towns and Baynes would be a nice get for them. McLaughlin would be nice, but would take a double S&T so that would be it unless they could do two double S&T for guys they are not keeping (not sure who...like if they are keeping Juancho Hernangomez),

That would be all we could do with Minnesota since they can't include a player under contract in a S&T and we could likely save on salary depending on what McLaughlin (and Juancho if they are not keeping him-though seems like they should).

I think both of these teams probably have their MLE's though, so no need for them to do S&Ts.

We could offer McLaughlin a verbal offer sheet and then if Minnesota is thinking of matching it we could see if they want Baynes in a S&T but they could say "Why trade a guy we want to keep when we can sign Baynes with our MLE)...unless they are out of roster spots.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3115 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 pm

nevetsov wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:Ok, so Lakers have Harrell at C and still have McGee. Word is they are still looking for some Beef there (Need some size) and thats why they are after Gasol. Would Baynes fit the bill, of course, problem is they dont have the cash. it would have to be a sign and trade, and there is no way im helping the Lakers get Baynes. I hear if they dont get Gasol they just might retain Cousins. He tore his ACL a month prior to the start of the season and will is supposedly ready to play. McGee/Cousins should be fine in the 12 or so minutes off the bench that Harrell isnt playing.

Lakers might actually have a better squad than last season :(

Schroder, Caruso
KCP, Matthews
James, Kuzma
Davis, Morris
Harrell, McGee

Hate these guys.

They for sure do with two sixth man of the year candidates in Schroder and Harrell. Who'd they lose? Green and Howard? Those guys are well past their prime and have seriously declined. These were very good gets by the Lakers.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#3116 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Add the Mavs to my list of teams who seem to be able to spend more money than us and have a huge collection of fairly good guys who will be able to play well

Edit: in my saltiness, I failed to see that they were resigning him. Makes sense now
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#3117 » by thamadkant » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Adrao wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:

PG: Paul, Payne, Okobo
SG: Booker, Carter, Alexander
SF: Bridges, Nader
PF: Cameron, Crowder
C: Ayton, Smith, Jones

13 players.

Saric?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3118 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm

BobbieL wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

That’s telling

We are at 11 now... with Saric on deck. I’d bet we have a standing offer on the table for Baynes. You’d think something will be happening with him soon.

We have 4 mandatory slots to fill...ink Dario and it’s 3....and I think you can carry 17. Gleague is up in the air this yr, and we semi nixed it anyway, so that practice facility might really be beneficial.

Interesting big dudes left, assuming we sign Saric.

Youngsters
CBoucher ... sleepy good, can get better. Long, bouncy, swatty
Len... he is still a big dude, and still kind of cranky. Might be too rough on DA in practice.
Hernagomez... smart player, limited but not a liability
Giles ... does he just need a place to settle and thrive?

Oldsters
Baynes ... come on big beard, run one to two more
Ersan ilysova ... could of had him way back when for a song, and it remains the same.

I’m not so worried about the guard spot. May be get Yogi F for cheapy cheap? Shabazz ?
I’ll bet it’s already been discussed, if CP goes lame, then it’s point Book time. There arent many pgs left that are upgrades over Payne and Carter for that matter.

Pickins getting slim. Just try to add 3 from the list left.

My guard choice is still Etwuan Moore - especially with so many teams that already have the 15 players. At this point - he might be pretty happy to get the BAE from the Suns. If not, I might just wait for the market to play out and see if any players are bought out (e.g. Hill from the Thunder)

And yes, based on the market and the fact the Suns are over the cap - sure, why not give Saric a 3/30 type deal. He should only get better at this point.

Lets go win some damn games!!!!

Yeah, E'Twaun Moore the best guard left...that can shoot and defend. Then if you want a PG instead, McLaughlin or Napier. I see we signed Damian Jones..he's basically about the same as Diallo.

I think we probably sign Okobo and maybe someone like Moore, or a PG and possibly Okobo. Possibly another win. I think we might have 13 roster spots filled with Saric (if he signs) and Jones. Leaving 2...2 FA's or 1 and Okobo

I know most don't want Okobo but he really is probably about as good as option as any, is 23, knows his teammates who like him, works hard, has upside, and being around Paul will help him. I don't really like to give up on guys we drafted after 2 years if they make the minimum, have played a bit with the others, who are familiar with him, came into the draft class with Ayton/Bridges, etc. Those guards are all close...and Bridges is close eith Carter and Okobo and someone said Booker really likes Okobo (though he does yell at him..maybe that's a term of endearment).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3119 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Jeezus... I don’t understand how some can think we are crowded or content with/in the front court

We got a nimble numbskull in Ayton... and a handful of tweeners. OK, so we drafted a PF/C... but expecting him to jump in and contribute bucks the draft odds. (When will the fever break :-? ) Smith will be coddled into 10-12 mins unless forced into action from injury. If he gives anything more it’s a bonus. And here is no need to rush.

The rest? Not even a true PF. 6’6” Crowder is the biggest at 235. Inking up Baynes looks better and better to me.

Jones is decent as a 3rd stringer. Saric thrived as a backup 5 in the bubble unless you don't trust the bubble results, and we drafted a fairly ready guy to play 10-15 minutes, at least within time. At worst, Jones playes 10 or 15.

Jones played 17 mpg for the Warriors two years ago when they made the finals. He also played 16 mpg last year for the Hawks. He's very efficient finishing around the rim and an ok shot blocker/rebounder.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#3120 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Phoenix Suns