Bench Warmer
And1: 703

Re: Welcome Jalen Smith! 

Post#62 » by suns12345 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:34 pm

matt131 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
"It's always about fit for us, it's never just about pure talent" - James Jones

Lol, unusual for a GM to say that.

I assume he was specifically referring to cultural fit rather than positional?

Could be wrong though
Ghost of Kleine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,318

Post#63 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:55 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,288

Post#64 » by ATTL » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:33 am

Jalen's frame and definition reminds me of david robinson. Maybe it's the navy connection that's making me think that.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 8,655

Post#65 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 am

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,318

Post#66 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,896

Post#67 » by carey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:02 pm

carey wrote:

I fully expect us to target a 3/4 with the MLE. I just have no idea who because I expect contracts to be a bit weird during the pandemic. I think Jerami Grant will cost too much but maybe a guy like Mo Harkless bites? Jae Crowder?

We did it!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 10,702

Post#68 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:26 am

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
matt131
Starter
And1: 2,176

Post#69 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:28 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting. I wonder which teams

Also, if those teams also saw him as a 4, perhaps his footwork and agility have improved since the college games we've seen. That would be pretty exciting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 38,701

Post#70 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:20 am

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 5,004

Post#71 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 am

My buddy compares Jalen Smith to a young and raw Kevin Durant. Forget his jumpshot looking at his blocking ability he kinda reminds me of Mutombo..
oddity
Senior
And1: 684

Post#72 » by oddity » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:33 am

Those tap outs tho :nod:
oddity
Senior

Post#73 » by oddity » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:34 am

I think JJJ is a better high end comp than KD. Same build and catch and shoot approach.
sunsbg
Sixth Man
And1: 1,051

Post#74 » by sunsbg » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Somewhere between Richaun Holmes with better shooting touch (Holmes shot 40% from 3 his last year in college :o ) and JJJ I guess.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#75 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 pm

oddity wrote:I think JJJ is a better high end comp than KD. Same build and catch and shoot approach.

He gets his shot off very quickly and can really move like a wing and then run to a spot, stop, and catch and shoot without much time.

Obviously I don't think he's quite like KD (as agile), though their builds are a bit similar with Jalen having more strength up top.

I was watching this last night which was good and hadn't noticed it earlier because it was the last video in the OP. He compares him some to Myles Turner and JJJ, at least in the first few minutes.

Check out his shot at 3:40 here.

oddity
Senior

Post#76 » by oddity » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Spoiler:
bwgood77 wrote:
oddity wrote:I think JJJ is a better high end comp than KD. Same build and catch and shoot approach.

He gets his shot off very quickly and can really move like a wing and then run to a spot, stop, and catch and shoot without much time.

Obviously I don't think he's quite like KD (as agile), though their builds are a bit similar with Jalen having more strength up top.

I was watching this last night which was good and hadn't noticed it earlier because it was the last video in the OP. He compares him some to Myles Turner and JJJ, at least in the first few minutes.

Check out his shot at 3:40 here.

Yeah I mean how can you watch that clip and think that's a 5? Y'know? A big reason for the bad reception to Jalen was that he was typecast as Ayton's backup, but he was actually playing out of positon in Maryland. He even says it in interviews, that there was drama with the centers at Maryland and it forced him to play bigger. Not saying he can't play the 5, but he will eventually be best suited as a 4 imo
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 6,076

Post#77 » by thamadkant » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:32 pm

matt131 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Also, if those teams also saw him as a 4, perhaps his footwork and agility have improved since the college games we've seen. That would be pretty exciting.

Celtics, Spurs and Heat... Maybe Pelicans also.

Look at where Smith worked out and interviewed with and look at the needs of those teams. Celtics would have grabbed him at 16 and Spurs also had him at their radar.. Probably had a couple of players they were looking at and Smith was one.

Suns trading back probably knew they will lose Smith... Hence only spot I saw Suns willing to trade back to was pick 13.. But not worth it for both teams since players were dropping... Like Vassel and Haliburton. So James Jones went ahead and just drafted what the team needed. I think Suns top 5 would have been Wiseman purely because of his potential, Ball, Williams, Okongwu and then Smith.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#78 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 pm

thamadkant wrote:
matt131 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Look at where Smith worked out and interviewed with and look at the needs of those teams. Celtics would have grabbed him at 16 and Spurs also had him at their radar.. Probably had a couple of players they were looking at and Smith was one.

Suns trading back probably knew they will lose Smith... Hence only spot I saw Suns willing to trade back to was pick 13.. But not worth it for both teams since players were dropping... Like Vassel and Haliburton. So James Jones went ahead and just drafted what the team needed. I think Suns top 5 would have been Wiseman purely because of his potential, Ball, Williams, Okongwu and then Smith.

Didn't the Celtics have 14? I think them and the Pelicans at 13 would look. Good backup for Zion and guy to compete with Hayes for minutes. They had a lot of guards.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#79 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 pm

thamadkant wrote:
matt131 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Didn't the Celtics have 14? I think them and the Pelicans at 13 would look. Good backup for Zion and guy to compete with Hayes for minutes. They had a lot of guards.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 6,076

Post#80 » by thamadkant » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
thamadkant wrote:
matt131 wrote:Interesting. I wonder which teams

I stand corrected. Yes 14.

As mentioned my friend is a die hard Celtics fan and based on his readings of draft news he was certain Smith was their pick. And some articles online support the interest Celtics had.

Jalen Smith also had nothing but praise for Spurs and stated he had a good interview with the entire team or something like that. They need a stretch 5 who can also protect the rim and rebound... Someone to eventually replace Poetl.

Pelicans was interesting. They lost Favors and Hayes is limited offensively so a stretch 5 or 4 would help.

Return to Phoenix Suns