Welcome Jalen Smith!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

matt131
Veteran
And1: 2,187

Re: Welcome Jalen Smith! 

Post#21 » by matt131 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Biff wrote:
nevetsov wrote:Seems a bit redundant with Cam starting at PF and Dario backing him up. I guess Cam can play some SF and Dario some C, and you can never have too many shooters.

The Stepien has him pegged as a 1 position defender (5) so he will likely be Ayton's backup. According to them, he can't cover wings in open space very well at all. If that was the case in college, I don't see him covering the even better NBA wings. This limits his upside a bit. We needed a backup for Ayton though.
I think all three of those players are incredibly different.

Cam is the best shooter of the three. Small enough to run around screens and guard some 3s and some 4s.

Saric is the best passer and someone capable of running an offense, at least off the bench. Bigger body who isn't the best on defense but can body up some of the bigger, but less athletic 4s.

Smith seems to be a huge and athletic big, who is deadly in the pick and pop. His rim defense looks to be solid, something Cam and Saric don't to at all (and frankly neither did Baynes - big strong guy who fouled a lot at the rim in all reality).

I understand people are thinking this pick only has high value if we can run Smith with Ayton, but I think he fits well alongside Cam and Saric too, especially defensively. A lineup with Smith and Ayton might be rough against smaller 4s who are a bit faster, but that's when Cam steps in. I do think we need a big wing (like a Jae Crowder - not saying him exactly, just his body type) to guard the really big, quick 4s like LeBron.
Biff
Sixth Man
And1: 447

Post#22 » by Biff » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Yeah, I don't think we'll be playing Smith with Ayton unless we're playing the Lakers and they're playing Dwight and AD.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#23 » by carey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Welcome! I’m really feeling this pick. This is me last month. I think you’ll love him if you give him a chance.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 5,660

Post#24 » by NTB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 pm

carey wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Welcome! I’m really feeling this pick. This is me last month. I think you’ll love him if you give him a chance.

Congrats with the guess. After Oubre is gone now, what do you think about wing depth?
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 8,687

Post#25 » by Saberestar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

2020 Daft Combine Measurements
Jalen Smith

Height w/o shoes 6,9.25"
225 lbs
Wingspan 7,2.25"
Standing Reach 9,2.00"
Body Fat 3.70%

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?sort=WINGSPAN&dir=1
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 5,660

Post#26 » by NTB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Golanator
Rookie
And1: 890

Post#27 » by Golanator » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,279

Post#28 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:27 pm

Congratulations on getting Jalen Smith! He will be the steal of the draft. I had him #1 on my board, I called him a poor man's Anthony Davis.

I wanted the Hawks to trade down with the Knicks and get Jalen.

I think Jalen will be like Kawhi, in that he was drafted to be an elite defensive player but then surprised you with his offensive game. Smith is a poor man's Anthony Davis or a better version of Myles Turner.
matt131
Veteran
And1: 2,187

Post#29 » by matt131 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:33 pm

Crives
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,544

Post#30 » by Crives » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 pm

My final thoughts on draft night..

Man, James Jones doesn’t give a **** about the mocks, I have to respect that he goes after who he wants instead of worrying about “looking bad”.

When Hali was on the board at 10 I was excited that we would get a nice trade down offer. Phx took a really long time to make the pick and there were reports they were on the phone with other teams. Sounds like they did their due diligence but no attractive trade down options became available... I mean, nobody in the top 10 traded down... must not have been many offers.. I would have loved a 10 for 14 + 26 swap... I think phx may have been worried about the pelicans taking Smith at 13... Jalen fits really nicely alongside Zion.

I am happy with the pick, just would have preferred a trade down... I was not very high on Hali.

Also... was a bit surprised phx went with a “upside” pick
oddity
Senior
And1: 687

Post#31 » by oddity » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:38 pm

Interesting film of Jalen Smith defending smaller guys. He has a very poor defensive stance on the perimeter. He doesn't get very low, doesn't bend his knees enough, and that results in a top-heavy center of gravity that is easy to throw off for elite guards. Fortunately Jalen has the great equalizer in his albatross 7'2 wingspan. It's actually the same length as Mikal's arms, btw. On a 6'10 body, that makes his standing reach 9'2, the same as guys like JJJ. You can see in the film that his length and fluid athleticism can make up for his poor balance and footspeed on the perimeter, and he can bother shots even from disadvantageous positions. He has fantastic natural coordination it seems, always reacting quickly and controlled. If he can just fix his defensive stance, something that can be feasibly done, he will be an excellent switchable defender.
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#32 » by carey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:01 pm

NTB wrote:
carey wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Congrats with the guess. After Oubre is gone now, what do you think about wing depth?

I fully expect us to target a 3/4 with the MLE. I just have no idea who because I expect contracts to be a bit weird during the pandemic. I think Jerami Grant will cost too much but maybe a guy like Mo Harkless bites? Jae Crowder?
RedIndian
Junior
And1: 560

Post#33 » by RedIndian » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 pm

oddity wrote:
Interesting film of Jalen Smith defending smaller guys. He has a very poor defensive stance on the perimeter. He doesn't get very low, doesn't bend his knees enough, and that results in a top-heavy center of gravity that is easy to throw off for elite guards. Fortunately Jalen has the great equalizer in his albatross 7'2 wingspan. It's actually the same length as Mikal's arms, btw. On a 6'10 body, that makes his standing reach 9'2, the same as guys like JJJ. You can see in the film that his length and fluid athleticism can make up for his poor balance and footspeed on the perimeter, and he can bother shots even from disadvantageous positions. He has fantastic natural coordination it seems, always reacting quickly and controlled. If he can just fix his defensive stance, something that can be feasibly done, he will be an excellent switchable defender.
Agreed, I don't think Smith's lateral quickness or hip mobility is abysmal, like say Toppin's.

I think a lot of his issues stem from lack of lower body strength. If he gets stronger in the lower body (which is entirely feasible), his ability to sit on a defensive stance improves and so does his ability to defend on the perimeter. Luckily the kid has a high character rep so hopefully he puts in the work.

The other potentially exciting part of his game is his movement shooting. If he can come off screens and shoot, well, then he can legitimately play the 4 in the NBA.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 38,743

Post#34 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:50 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Good stuff Ghost!

I like him. A guy who can space the floor and block shots is a very useful combination. I like that he got bigger and better in a year, shows a good work ethic. Excited to see him develop because he has some untapped potential if he cleans up a few things.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

How do you compare him to your man last year, PJ Washington?
PJ is a little more fluid in movement on both ends and a little more refined from an offensive skills department especially handling. Smith is a better rim protector and probably a more natural shooter although PJ isn't far behind.

phx#7 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Good stuff Ghost!

I like him. A guy who can space the floor and block shots is a very useful combination. I like that he got bigger and better in a year, shows a good work ethic. Excited to see him develop because he has some untapped potential if he cleans up a few things.

I'm not convinced he'll be able to share the court much with Ayton, which is my biggest concern since the team seemed to do so well with Oubre or Johnson at the 4 when Ayton was on the floor.

If Ayton continues to improve on defense and Smith shows he can defend smaller 4s in space he could be the ideal front court partner.
This is completely fair and I too think Smith looks more like a 5 defensively. On O him and Ayton can play together because you can park Smith in a corner and teams have to respect him so spacing is fine. As of now he'll struggle to guard quick nba 4s.

I don't worry about this yet because frankly I think Smith is a little more of a project than people might realize and it's doubtful he's going to have a big role early. Him and Saric are actually an interesting pairing that should work.

Long term can Smith and Ayton work together for long periods of time? I'm skeptical but Smith changed so much in two years in college that it's hard to say what he looks like in a couple years of NBA level conditioning and training.

You mention Smith looking like a 5 defensively, and we know he's a better shot blocker..so do you not think Ayton can guard 4s? He has shown he can switch and guard the perimeter...it seems like on defense, Ayton could take 4s and Smith 5s and on offense it could be the other way around, but at the same time, Ayton can play at the top of the key on offense and has good vision and is developing that 3 and Jalen could play down low too.

Seems like they both have the skills to play together even though Ayton makes more sense as a 5 on offense and Jalen as 5 on defense (Ayton can play 4 or 5 on defense).
darmani
Rookie
And1: 1,430

Post#35 » by darmani » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:57 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Biff wrote:
nevetsov wrote:Seems a bit redundant with Cam starting at PF and Dario backing him up. I guess Cam can play some SF and Dario some C, and you can never have too many shooters.

The Stepien has him pegged as a 1 position defender (5) so he will likely be Ayton's backup. According to them, he can't cover wings in open space very well at all. If that was the case in college, I don't see him covering the even better NBA wings. This limits his upside a bit. We needed a backup for Ayton though.

Ayton isn't a 1 position defender though. On defense, Ayton could guard 4s and Smith 5s. We probably only deploy these units if we feel we need to for matchup purposes.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 6,084

Post#37 » by thamadkant » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 pm

Saberestar wrote:2020 Daft Combine Measurements
Jalen Smith

Height w/o shoes 6,9.25"
225 lbs
Wingspan 7,2.25"
Standing Reach 9,2.00"
Body Fat 3.70%

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?sort=WINGSPAN&dir=1

He has almost same size as Adebayo.

Adebayo is 6'8.5 without shoes
Has 7'2.75 wingspan and 9'0 standing reach.

So Smith has higher standing reach and just a almost an inch taller.

What makes Adebayo really good is he plays like Draymond Green up top with his facilitating and passing around the perimeter. The guy averages almost 6 assists by doing a Draymond Green and passing to shooters left and right.

Suns has CP3 and to a lesser extent Booker to make plays so just need Ayton and Smith score inside and focus on getting high percentage looks.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:13 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:Looks like a better version of Thon Maker. A backup center who can shoot from downtown. I don't think he has the fluidity to guard the 4 at the next level. I don't see the Ayton/Smith combo working, even Jones said it's for "stints," implying that Smith will probably be a backup center rather than the starting pf next to Ayton.

Because of his size, he's probably a couple of years away from contributing meaningful minutes. He's skinny and center of gravity isn't ideal. Need to get much, much stronger.

I don't hate the pick. More meh. He brings energy, which this team needs after Oubre left. He brings weakside protection. His shooting should translate, and probably the chief reason why he was drafted.

You don't think Ayton could guard the 4s either in a pairing of the two?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 10,730

Post#39 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
How do you compare him to your man last year, PJ Washington?
PJ is a little more fluid in movement on both ends and a little more refined from an offensive skills department especially handling. Smith is a better rim protector and probably a more natural shooter although PJ isn't far behind.

phx#7 wrote:
I'm not convinced he'll be able to share the court much with Ayton, which is my biggest concern since the team seemed to do so well with Oubre or Johnson at the 4 when Ayton was on the floor.

If Ayton continues to improve on defense and Smith shows he can defend smaller 4s in space he could be the ideal front court partner.
This is completely fair and I too think Smith looks more like a 5 defensively. On O him and Ayton can play together because you can park Smith in a corner and teams have to respect him so spacing is fine. As of now he'll struggle to guard quick nba 4s.

I don't worry about this yet because frankly I think Smith is a little more of a project than people might realize and it's doubtful he's going to have a big role early. Him and Saric are actually an interesting pairing that should work.

Long term can Smith and Ayton work together for long periods of time? I'm skeptical but Smith changed so much in two years in college that it's hard to say what he looks like in a couple years of NBA level conditioning and training.

You mention Smith looking like a 5 defensively, and we know he's a better shot blocker..so do you not think Ayton can guard 4s? He has shown he can switch and guard the perimeter...it seems like on defense, Ayton could take 4s and Smith 5s and on offense it could be the other way around, but at the same time, Ayton can play at the top of the key on offense and has good vision and is developing that 3 and Jalen could play down low too.

Seems like they both have the skills to play together even though Ayton makes more sense as a 5 on offense and Jalen as 5 on defense (Ayton can play 4 or 5 on defense).
Maybe. I don't like Ayton spending too much time at the PF defensively and it just depends who the other teams 4 is.

Im not too worried about it now because I think we're a year or two away from Smith even being ready for more than spot minutes anyway.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
cberry78
Senior
And1: 713

Post#40 » by cberry78 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 pm

I see them playing together with DA at the 5 and Smith at the 4 on O and switching on D. DA can guard Lebron as well as anyone else does and Smith should be able to body up on AD.....same with MIL with Giannis and BroLo.

Are there any other paired bigs in the league where the D switch would be needed? In a wing-heavy league, we've also got Cam and Mikal that can cover the "faster" 4's if Smith really can't do it....then he can split time at bu 5.

Return to Phoenix Suns