ImageImageImage

Jalen Smith news, highlights and other discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Re: Jalen Smith news, highlights and other discussion 

Post#421 » by sunsbg » Fri Jan 7, 2022 6:22 pm

I was high on Hayes pre-draft, but he's been worse than Jalen and is more expensive. Zero chance a contender like the Suns trades for him.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,176

Post#422 » by Slim Charless » Fri Jan 7, 2022 6:42 pm

sunsbg wrote:I was high on Hayes pre-draft, but he's been worse than Jalen and is more expensive. Zero chance a contender like the Suns trades for him.

Better than losing Jalen for nothing. Also, the Pistons are awful. I mean even Cade looks like crap, are you of the opinion that he sucks too?

Besides this trade is with an eye on 2022. Hayes gets a education at CP3U and takes over in 2 years....when he's still only 22.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#423 » by sunsbg » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:05 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
sunsbg wrote:I was high on Hayes pre-draft, but he's been worse than Jalen and is more expensive. Zero chance a contender like the Suns trades for him.

Better than losing Jalen for nothing. Also, the Pistons are awful. I mean even Cade looks like crap, are you of the opinion that he sucks too?

Besides this trade is with an eye on 2022. Hayes gets a education at CP3U and takes over in 2 years....when he's still only 22.

I'm sure Sarver is very nervous about losing Jalen for nothing. Unlike Jalen, Hayes is getting minutes and pretty much sucks.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#424 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:27 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I'm sure Sarver is very nervous about losing Jalen for nothing. Unlike Jalen, Hayes is getting minutes and pretty much sucks.

I don't think Hayes sucks, and he's still very young. But the key thing is, he's a bona fide bonehead. Can't have that guy in our locker room. Besides, we need to move Jalen because we have three solid backup 5's - 4 if you count Kaminsky and FREAKING 5 if you count Dario.

Sad thing is, Jalen might be the best of the bunch, and by all appearances would have been well worth what he was scheduled to be paid next year, if only we'd picked up his option. Just a huge failure all around. I'd have considered us set with Ayton/Smith at the 5 for the next two years.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#425 » by Slim Charless » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:35 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I don't think Hayes sucks, and he's still very young. But the key thing is, he's a bona fide bonehead. Can't have that guy in our locker room. Besides, we need to move Jalen because we have three solid backup 5's - 4 if you count Kaminsky and FREAKING 5 if you count Dario.

Sad thing is, Jalen might be the best of the bunch, and by all appearances would have been well worth what he was scheduled to be paid next year, if only we'd picked up his option. Just a huge failure all around. I'd have considered us set with Ayton/Smith at the 5 for the next two years.

*He's a bonehead because he's in a bonehead organization.

He'd look a lot better in our locker room with Monty and Chris. Remember how Booker was known as a no defense chucker? Remember when Cam Johnson was a no defense soft shooter?

Both of their reps changed in the last 2 years. I have faith that Monty and Chris can make Hayes a player. I mean he's, only 20 lol. He's not a finished product. People write players off way too early. How many guys here were bashing Stix- up until a month ago?

Killian Hayes is younger than Jalen and plays a pos we need. I'd rather roll the dice on him than lose Jalen for nothing
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#426 » by NapoleonII » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:51 pm

I predict we don't trade Jalen, just let the chips fall this summer.

You're dealing with too many unknowns now.

What does Jalen in our rotation look like when we're healthy? IE when he's playing some 4, some 5 with the bench, some floor time with Ayton, maybe some time against Giannis/Jokic/AD? What happens if COVID strikes again in the summer, a new variant? And Ayton and/or Mcgee is out for 3-4 games?

Not to mention the sting of the fact that rebounding and not having a 4 that could do anything besides chuck cost us a title.

I'd much rather see how it plays out with Jalen and let him walk in the summer then NOT have him come playoff time.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#427 » by thamadkant » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:21 pm

i think if Jalen gets good rotation minutes and Suns do well in the playoffs and the offers are a few million difference (4.7m vs 6m) that Jalen might be convinced by Chris to stay put, maybr a player option for 2023-2024.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#428 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:23 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

He'd look a lot better in our locker room with Monty and Chris. Remember how Booker was known as a no defense chucker? Remember when Cam Johnson was a no defense soft shooter?

Both of their reps changed in the last 2 years. I have faith that Monty and Chris can make Hayes a player. I mean he's, only 20 lol. He's not a finished product. People write players off way too early. How many guys here were bashing Stix- up until a month ago?

Killian Hayes is younger than Jalen and plays a pos we need. I'd rather roll the dice on him than lose Jalen for nothing

Nah, I'm not talking about missed rotations. We talking Josh Jackson kinda bonehead.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/27/lapd-release-jaxson-hayes-body-cam-police-officer-shoved-into-wall-nba-pelicans/
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#429 » by Slim Charless » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:31 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

Nah, I'm not talking about missed rotations. We talking Josh Jackson kinda bonehead.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/27/lapd-release-jaxson-hayes-body-cam-police-officer-shoved-into-wall-nba-pelicans/

Ummmm. That's the wrong Hayes.

I'm talking about Killian Hayes https://www.nbadraft.net/players/killian-hayes/

You just posted a story about Jaxson Hayes. For a different team.

Anyways, the Hayes I'm talking about hasn't gotten in trouble with the law. He's a Frenchman and could be our own Tony Parker.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#430 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:38 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Anyways, the Hayes I'm talking about hasn't gotten in trouble with the law. He's a Frenchman and could be our own Tony Parker.

Oooooh! Well in that case, please disregard every single stupid thing I said.

I suspect Sarver wouldn't be interested in paying Killian's money, but I really liked him heading into the draft and it's a shame he hasn't shown much yet. Not a bad idea, but I don't think we're the team who would be willing to develop him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#431 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 11:57 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

I suspect Sarver wouldn't be interested in paying Killian's money, but I really liked him heading into the draft and it's a shame he hasn't shown much yet. Not a bad idea, but I don't think we're the team who would be willing to develop him.

LOL I was wondering why you were saying Hayes was a bonehead....thinking I must have missed something. He hasn't been good though. I had him in fantasy, in a dynasty long term league and traded him for Brook Lopez (though I desperately needed blocks and 3s and had a ton of guards). Of course Lopez is now out.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#432 » by Slim Charless » Sat Jan 8, 2022 12:03 am

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

LOL I was wondering why you were saying Hayes was a bonehead....thinking I must have missed something. He hasn't been good though. I had him in fantasy, in a dynasty long term league and traded him for Brook Lopez (though I desperately needed blocks and 3s and had a ton of guards). Of course Lopez is now out.

He sucks cause DET sucks. He could still be a great player in the right situation and with the right leadership....like what Phx has.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#433 » by Saberestar » Sat Jan 8, 2022 12:43 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

He sucks cause DET sucks. He could still be a great player in the right situation and with the right leadership....like what Phx has.

For now he is bad. He is very young and he can improve but you can say that about any young player in the league.

He was playing most of his minutes next to Cade, Bey, Jerami Grant and Stewart. You put CP3 next to those 4 guys and they go to the playoffs as a low seed, but he is a negative for now.

Payne is much more ready to contribute and he can occasionally start for us. And Hayes has the same contract, around $6M per year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#434 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 11:26 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

For now he is bad. He is very young and he can improve but you can say that about any young player in the league.

He was playing most of his minutes next to Cade, Bey, Jerami Grant and Stewart. You put CP3 next to those 4 guys and they go to the playoffs as a low seed, but he is a negative for now.

Payne is much more ready to contribute and he can occasionally start for us. And Hayes has the same contract, around $6M per year.

Yeah, Hayes has sucked. If we do a S&T for Ayton, we'd probably have to take something like Stewart, Hayes and a protected first back (it's not like S&Ts are usually fair trades...but possibly could get more...an unprotected pick or Bey might be nice). But the type of package GoK will come up with will certainly probably not happen.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#435 » by Slim Charless » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:58 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Yeah, Hayes has sucked. If we do a S&T for Ayton, we'd probably have to take something like Stewart, Hayes and a protected first back (it's not like S&Ts are usually fair trades...but possibly could get more...an unprotected pick or Bey might be nice). But the type of package GoK will come up with will certainly probably not happen.

I would just bite the bullet on this Jalen Smith thing and offer him up to the Pistons for Killian Hayes. I remember many posters leading up to that draft wanting him, Obi or Haliburton. He's the youngest out of all of those guys and still has a ton of talent.

I think Detroit says yes to that trade.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#436 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:31 am

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:For now he is bad. He is very young and he can improve but you can say that about any young player in the league.

I would just bite the bullet on this Jalen Smith thing and offer him up to the Pistons for Killian Hayes. I remember many posters leading up to that draft wanting him, Obi or Haliburton. He's the youngest out of all of those guys and still has a ton of talent.

I think Detroit says yes to that trade.

As I've said before, I just don't see why a team would trade for Jalen if they like him, considering they could sign him as an UFA in the offseason and if they trade for him another team could outbid them. Hayes was also out a lot of last year so they might not be ready to give him up yet. Might depend on whether or not they trade Grant and what they can get for him. If they could get Coby White they likely would be way more likely to trade Hayes, and they likely could get Patrick Williams in that trade too.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#437 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:54 pm

We're back to devaluing him under $4.6m playing at the 4, never seen a player so obviously out of position!

28% jump shooter and has to offensive rebound from the perimeter.

If we're targetting Thad Young in a buyout it's probably between him and Kaminsky that gets cut.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#438 » by Frank Lee » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:15 pm

The list of back up C making more than what Smith was due is slim…. Rollo, McGee, Birch….those guys all contribute regularly… Muscala money is max for Jalen.

I see him taking the minimum if he stays. What he really should do is go overseas to get playing time, work on his game, and put on another 15 lbs. Its a valid pathway.

Even if he comes back, as mentioned, there are very few minutes for him in a regular rotation. May be that entices him to play elsewhere for similar dough.
What ? Me Worry ?
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#439 » by Frank Lee » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:28 pm

Furthermore, I would not be surprised that the passport league has already reached out and a candid discussion about his future here was discussed. Declining his option very well could have been agreed by both parties. Might be a small hit money wise, but a positive move career wise…. And the door remains open upon return. Call it our G League if you may
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#440 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:06 pm

Not sure who they waive if someone like Thad is available (but he'd likely have several situations he could play more).

It would probably depend on injury recovery, so I'd guess Kaminsky if he still is recovering after 8 weeks. Nader if he is never healthy but we need him more due to needing a wing.

I think we keep Jalen and may want to keep him if we can get him on a good deal.

Return to Phoenix Suns