ImageImageImage

Your Thoughts On Our Roster

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Re: Your Thoughts On Our Roster 

Post#21 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 pm

It will be interesting see how the Chris Paul trade pans out. He is 35. He is declining simply because every 35 year old player is. He is a better scorer, and floor leader than Rubio. At this point I am not sure he is a better defender. Rubio is faster and runs the team at a faster pace. Pail walks the ball up.

I think Paul is more of an injury risk because of age and wear and tear, but you never know.

Monty must have a plan to make it work.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#22 » by NTB » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:29 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:It will be interesting see how the Chris Paul trade pans out. He is 35. He is declining simply because every 35 year old player is. He is a better scorer, and floor leader than Rubio. At this point I am not sure he is a better defender. Rubio is faster and runs the team at a faster pace. Pail walks the ball up.

I think Paul is more of an injury risk because of age and wear and tear, but you never know.

Monty must have a plan to make it work.

per NBA.com. (I know teams matter in these stats. Thunder was 7th best defense in NBA and Suns were 17th)

Def WS

Paul 24th
Rubio 79th

DBPM

Paul 24th
Rubio 71st

Deflections

Paul 9th
Rubio 29th

Steals

Paul 12th
Rubio 22nd
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#23 » by NavLDO » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:49 pm

NTB wrote:
Read on Twitter

And all we had to do was pay 2.5x the money for the same position, another starter, and a 1st Rd pick for it...

...sorry, but media types can tout this and that about what Paul did, or where he ranked...he was still a first-round exit this past season, and despite what everyone want to say about him, or discount 'stats', the fact is, he IS slowing down, and is not likely to improve.

Again, I hope I'm wrong...but I don't believe I am.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#24 » by NTB » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:55 pm

NavLDO wrote:
NTB wrote:
Read on Twitter

And all we had to do was pay 2.5x the money for the same position, another starter, and a 1st Rd pick for it...

...sorry, but media types can tout this and that about what Paul did, or where he ranked...he was still a first-round exit this past season, and despite what everyone want to say about him, or discount 'stats', the fact is, he IS slowing down, and is not likely to improve.

Again, I hope I'm wrong...but I don't believe I am.

They almost eliminated Rockets and Thunder's roster was much worse than our current roster (imo anyway). Rubio and Oubre wasn't gonna catapult us into the contention. Oubre only has 1 year left and we wouldn't have kept him after his contract ends. 1st round is protected and if we suck again the pick will be ours anyway until 2025(?) or something like that. Also Paul's contract ends after 2 years and that year Ayton's and Mikal's contract also ends so we can arrange something with all the space.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#25 » by NTB » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:07 pm

Read on Twitter

One of the most important skills of CP3. Rubio can't do these and we desperately needed this kind of player near Booker for years.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#26 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:14 pm

An area they should be much better is the offense when Booker sits. Rubio was good with Booker on the floor but when it was just Rubio it struggled. The Cam Payne/Carter combo in the bubble was really the only time they had positive numbers without Booker at a G spot. Paul should be able to help solve this when/if they stagger him and Booker. Now we won't know how much they plan on staggering until they actually play but judging from them adding guys like Moore and Galloway I'd guess it's a lot since both them and Carter are the types that can work with either Booker or Paul besides them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,935

Post#27 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 pm

I'm curious to see Paul's effect on Ayton.

;ab_channel=FrannyFilm

and DB while we are at it

;ab_channel=RiroBalls
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,935

Post#28 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:25 pm

What is the chance Paul signs on the cheap and draws another FA star like Kawhi/Durant to join the team in '22 ? With Booker and Ayton at their peaks this will mean instant title favorites.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,636

Post#29 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:53 pm

sunsbg wrote:What is the chance Paul signs on the cheap and draws another FA star like Kawhi/Durant to join the team in '22 ? With Booker and Ayton at their peaks this will mean instant title favorites.

Really high IMO.

Not sure if he will sign a cheap contract but obviously one way less expensive and we will have his bird rights, so we can sign an All Star and then sign CP3 who could be yet a very good player.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#30 » by King Ken » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:56 pm

I pretty much agree with most of what's being said but as someone who watched every Hawk game and many multiple times, Damian Jones is probably the worst player in the NBA and the fact that he got a contract much less a multiyear one is the worst move of the offseason and nothing else comes close. Him, Allen Crabbe, Chandler Parsons and Evan Turner are not NBA players anymore.

It was one of the worst moves I've seen in years and I am someone who lauded the players James brought in otherwise but Jones, I am extremely stocked to see him in the NBA.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#31 » by NTB » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:09 pm

King Ken wrote:I pretty much agree with most of what's being said but as someone who watched every Hawk game and many multiple times, Damian Jones is probably the worst player in the NBA and the fact that he got a contract much less a multiyear one is the worst move of the offseason and nothing else comes close. Him, Allen Crabbe, Chandler Parsons and Evan Turner are not NBA players anymore.

It was one of the worst moves I've seen in years and I am someone who lauded the players James brought in otherwise but Jones, I am extremely stocked to see him in the NBA.

Nice to see non-Suns fans chime in! I agree that move is a bit head-scratcher but check this video after 4:27. It has some good points (although pretty much optimistic)

;ab_channel=TheTimeline%3AAPhoenixSunsChannel
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#32 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:36 pm

King Ken wrote:I pretty much agree with most of what's being said but as someone who watched every Hawk game and many multiple times, Damian Jones is probably the worst player in the NBA and the fact that he got a contract much less a multiyear one is the worst move of the offseason and nothing else comes close. Him, Allen Crabbe, Chandler Parsons and Evan Turner are not NBA players anymore.

He is on a minimum deal...how a contract THAT cheap can be in your opinion "the worst move of the offseason"?

He was a backup at Atlanta but he will be just a third string C at Phoenix. I understand that he is not very good but he is a solid option as an insurance for injuries or whatever. He can't be worse than Diallo.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#33 » by King Ken » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Saberestar wrote:

He is on a minimum deal...how a contract THAT cheap can be in your opinion "the worst move of the offseason"?

He was a backup at Atlanta but he will be just a third string C at Phoenix. I understand that he is not very good but he is a solid option as an insurance for injuries or whatever. He can't be worse than Diallo.

If you watched all Hawk games, you would not be saying this and to me, every player matters 1-15 and the two two-way guys as well in today's NBA. This isn't 2004 anymore where half of the bench shouldn't be in the NBA.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager

Post#34 » by King Ken » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:45 pm

NTB wrote:

Nice to see non-Suns fans chime in! I agree that move is a bit head-scratcher but check this video after 4:27. It has some good points (although pretty much optimistic)

;ab_channel=TheTimeline%3AAPhoenixSunsChannel

There is no reason to be optimistic about him. He's ass bro. Complete ass. I am telling you this so you know ahead of time how terrible he is at Basketball.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#35 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:10 pm

King Ken wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

If you watched all Hawk games, you would not be saying this and to me, every player matters 1-15 and the two two-way guys as well in today's NBA. This isn't 2004 anymore where half of the bench shouldn't be in the NBA.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I believe you, he probably is not good at all, but look at the 14th and 15th player on any NBA team... they usually are players that are in and out of the league and they are there just to provide some depth.

"Every player matters"...I disagree, some players don't see the court all season long. Damian Jones will be our sixth frontcourt player on the rotation and he at least has an NBA' skill (roll man in the P&R) so I think his minimum contract is fine.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#36 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Saberestar wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Saberestar wrote:He is on a minimum deal...how a contract THAT cheap can be in your opinion "the worst move of the offseason"?

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I believe you, he probably is not good at all, but look at the 14th and 15th player on any NBA team... they usually are players that are in and out of the league and they are there just to provide some depth.

"Every player matters"...I disagree, some players don't see the court all season long. Damian Jones will be our sixth frontcourt player on the rotation and he at least has an NBA' skill (roll man in the P&R) so I think his minimum contract is fine.
Yeah every fan thinks their bad players are the worst in the league. Like there were times I ty jerome or even Kaminsky looked like the wost players in the league.

If signing their 14th man to a minimum contract was the worst move of the off-season id say it was a pretty good off-season.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#37 » by TheLogician » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:22 pm

I think our roster is deeper than '09-'10. Maybe not as talented but we'll see if Ayton and others elevate with CP3 like they did with Nash.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#38 » by bigfoot » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:21 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
King Ken wrote:If you watched all Hawk games, you would not be saying this and to me, every player matters 1-15 and the two two-way guys as well in today's NBA. This isn't 2004 anymore where half of the bench shouldn't be in the NBA.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yeah every fan thinks their bad players are the worst in the league. Like there were times I ty jerome or even Kaminsky looked like the wost players in the league.

If signing their 14th man to a minimum contract was the worst move of the off-season id say it was a pretty good off-season.

What's strange is he started 27 games for the Hawks last year. So he obviously wasn't their 14th man. But on our team, as mentioned, he will be behind Ayton and Saric. He will be competing with our rookie Jalen Smith for 3rd string center. Having a guy who has been a starter and is now competing for minutes can't be a bad thing.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#39 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:27 pm

bigfoot wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I believe you, he probably is not good at all, but look at the 14th and 15th player on any NBA team... they usually are players that are in and out of the league and they are there just to provide some depth.

What's strange is he started 27 games for the Hawks last year. So he obviously wasn't their 14th man. But on our team, as mentioned, he will be behind Ayton and Saric. He will be competing with our rookie Jalen Smith for 3rd string center. Having a guy who has been a starter and is now competing for minutes can't be a bad thing.
Read on Twitter

Plus with only $350k guaranteed they can actually cut him at the deadline if they need a roster spot and basically have little to no dead cap for his spot. It's basically a no risk signing.

Saberestar
RealGM

Post#40 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:36 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Yeah every fan thinks their bad players are the worst in the league. Like there were times I ty jerome or even Kaminsky looked like the wost players in the league.

Read on Twitter

Plus with only $350k guaranteed they can actually cut him at the deadline if they need a roster spot and basically have little to no dead cap for his spot. It's basically a no risk signing.

That's great. James Jones is the man.

Return to Phoenix Suns