SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Re: Your Thoughts On Our Roster 

Post#61 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:52 pm

bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Bro, we are just giving an honest assessment of a player we've seen extensively for our respective teams. We understand DJ is a minimum player and not expected to have a big role. Do you want us to say nice things about him or something? And yes, your team does have question marks in regards to backup bigs...

Who are your backup bigs?

Anyway, we are very used to having trash players, so no big deal if our 14th or 15th guy is trash with a non guaranteed contract. They can cut him if need be. He's basically our 4th string C.

And they previous response to you from Saberestar was obvious sarcasm.

Isn't Marquese Chriss, the total headcase, their backup C behind a rookie in Wiseman. I mean Chriss couldn't even stick on a pathetic Suns roster and then bounced around the league to both Houston and Cleveland. He was shown the door at both of those locations. Now I guess if we were going to compare Chriss and Jones, we can talk about that. I'm not sure who is better ATM.

Chriss is a lot better than Jones and Looney is better than Kamisky. If Jalen smith pans out, he could be better than the back up bigs the warriors currently are projected to have and heck, he could be better than wiseman for all we know. But currently, back up big is a question mark for the suns unless JSmith can contribute as a lotto pick off the bench as a rookie (possible). I do not see Frank and DJ as viable rotation players in the nba.

Chriss averaged 16.5 , 11 and 2bpg per 36 last year with a 60% TS, actually was decent and what I would call a good third string C, decent second string C. Jones in comparison is a G league caliber player, below average, average at best third string C in the nba.

I am not comparing the suns roster with the warriors, I am simply giving an assessment of Jones as was the topic of conversation at the time. I actually like the suns roster for next season. They have some nice players that should mesh well with CP3 and I am a fan of booker, ayton, bridges especially. Like the crowder signing, like dario as a rotation player off the bench..
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#62 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:59 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Anyway, we are very used to having trash players, so no big deal if our 14th or 15th guy is trash with a non guaranteed contract. They can cut him if need be. He's basically our 4th string C.

Isn't Marquese Chriss, the total headcase, their backup C behind a rookie in Wiseman. I mean Chriss couldn't even stick on a pathetic Suns roster and then bounced around the league to both Houston and Cleveland. He was shown the door at both of those locations. Now I guess if we were going to compare Chriss and Jones, we can talk about that. I'm not sure who is better ATM.

Chriss is a lot better than Jones and Looney is better than Kamisky. If Jalen smith pans out, he could be better than the back up bigs the warriors currently are projected to have and heck, he could be better than wiseman for all we know. But currently, back up big is a question mark for the suns unless JSmith can contribute as a lotto pick off the bench as a rookie (possible). I do not see Frank and DJ as viable rotation players in the nba.

Chriss averaged 16.5 , 11 and 2bpg per 36 last year with a 60% TS, actually was decent last year and what I would call a good third string C, decent second string C.

I am not comparing the suns roster with the warriors, I am simply giving an assessment of Jones as was the topic of conversation at the time. I actually like the suns roster for next season. They have some nice players that should mesh well with CP3 and I am a fan of booker, ayton, bridges especially. Like the crowder signing, like dario as a rotation player off the bench..

Well Frank isn't even on our team and Saric is now backup C, because that is the role he plays best these days, and was great at it in the bubble. So Ayton/Saric/Jalen Smith

I don't think Jones plays much at all unless a few guys are out due to injury or COVID.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#63 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

Chriss averaged 16.5 , 11 and 2bpg per 36 last year with a 60% TS, actually was decent last year and what I would call a good third string C, decent second string C.

Well Frank isn't even on our team and Saric is now backup C, because that is the role he plays best these days, and was great at it in the bubble. So Ayton/Saric/Jalen Smith

I don't think Jones plays much at all unless a few guys are out due to injury or COVID.

I like Saric as a bench player. As a backup center I don't see that as a sustainable strategy save for certain matchups, but with a quality starting C capable of playing big minutes (which the suns have) it should be fine while Smith gets up to speed. An Ayton/Smith/Saric rotation is not bad at all as long as Smith pans out (is not guaranteed which is why I view it as a question mark)
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,181

Post#64 » by Frank Lee » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:12 am

Bagging on the Warriors is useless ... after all, they have acquired one of the last remaining bonifide 2 way playas

We on the other hand do have concerns about our bigs... so we drafted one, resigned one, and picked up a couple more.

Play Ball !

BTW ... of all the contenders, I think we match up pretty good with the W’s. No fear here
What ? Me Worry ?
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#65 » by bigfoot » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:13 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Funny though you want to say that Chriss is better than Jones when we watched him for a full two seasons on the Suns.

See most Suns fans don't see backup big as a problem/question mark for the Suns. Kaminsky plays for the Kings now and Smith and Jones will be the 3rd string C.

We imagine our backup big is Dario Saric and are pretty sure our big man rotation of Ayton and Saric will be just fine. Saric played the backup 5 in the bubble when we went on the 8-0 bender. He was the offensive initiator for the bench and averaged 14pts/8rbds in 23mpg. Smith and Jones will be duking it out for the third-string spot at C.

As far as PF, Dario might get bench minutes there as well but we have depth with Crowder starting, Cam Johnson and Dario fighting for bench minutes, and Jalen Smith as the 3rd string PF. In a pinch, Bridges could cover the PF too.

So our big man rotation looks like

PF: Crowder/Johnson/Saric/Smith/Bridges
C: Ayton/Saric/Smith/Jones
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#66 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:17 am

bigfoot wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

Funny though you want to say that Chriss is better than Jones when we watched him for a full two seasons on the Suns.

See most Suns fans don't see backup big as a problem/question mark for the Suns. Kaminsky plays for the Kings now and Smith and Jones will be the 3rd string C.

We imagine our backup big is Dario Saric and are pretty sure our big man rotation of Ayton and Saric will be just fine. Saric played the backup 5 in the bubble when we went on the 8-0 bender. He was the offensive initiator for the bench and averaged 14pts/8rbds in 23mpg. Smith and Jones will be duking it out for the third-string spot at C.

As far as PF, Dario might get bench minutes there as well but we have depth with Crowder starting, Cam Johnson and Dario fighting for bench minutes, and Jalen Smith as the 3rd string PF. In a pinch, Bridges could cover the PF too.

Look, Chriss is easily a tier above jones as a player. he's not a starting level player, I get it. Chriss is much better than what he was with the suns. I absolutely hated chriss singing with the warriors but watching him last season, he actually changed my opinion of him. Are you saying Jones is better than Chriss? Because that is a false statement.

Why are some fans of teams so insecure that when a fan of another team gives their opinion on one third/fourth string player that they automatically need to compare rosters? Yea, the suns may be better than the warriors this season, but that's not what we were talking about.
bigfoot

Post#67 » by bigfoot » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:22 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

I like Saric as a bench player. As a backup center I don't see that as a sustainable strategy save for certain matchups, but with a quality starting C capable of playing big minutes (which the suns have) it should be fine while Smith gets up to speed. An Ayton/Smith/Saric rotation is not bad at all as long as Smith pans out (is not guaranteed which is why I view it as a question mark)

Dario is the perfect C for current state of the league. He can hit 3's, handle the ball, run the break, set screens, and passes extremely well. Monty didn't use him like this for the first half of the season and many of us were down on him. But his bubble bench play was really good and I saw more of this type of play during the bubble than all season long.

SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#68 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:25 am

bigfoot wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Dario is the perfect C for current state of the league. He can hit 3's, handle the ball, run the break, set screens, and passes extremely well. Monty didn't use him like this for the first half of the season and many of us were down on him. But his bubble bench play was really good and I saw more of this type of play during the bubble than all season long.

I like Saric off the bench for you guys. Not sure if his D holds up as a center over 72, but overall he is a contributor for the team no matter what position he plays. Best of luck to you guys, hope yall can knock out the lakers or clippers in the playoffs this year that would be great.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#69 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:27 am

SF_Warriors wrote:Why are some fans of teams so insecure that when a fan of another team gives their opinion on one third/fourth string player that they automatically need to compare rosters? Yea, the suns may be better than the warriors this season, but that's not what we were talking about.

Perhaps if you came in with some actual analysis other than essentially "can confirm, he sucks" you might elicit a different response?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#70 » by matt131 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:30 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

Look, Chriss is easily a tier above jones as a player. he's not a starting level player, I get it. Chriss is much better than what he was with the suns. I absolutely hated chriss singing with the warriors but watching him last season, he actually changed my opinion of him. Are you saying Jones is better than Chriss? Because that is a false statement.

Why are some fans of teams so insecure that when a fan of another team gives their opinion on one third/fourth string player that they automatically need to compare rosters? Yea, the suns may be better than the warriors this season, but that's not what we were talking about.

I mean, you came over the board to give the opinion: "Warriors fan here, can confirm DJones is practically useless."

That comment is about as useless as you proclaim Jones to be.

If you came here and said, "it was frustrating to watch Jones because he wouldn't listen to the coaches and kept getting lost. He catches some highlight lobs and gets the occasional big block, but I'd temper expectations since we Warrior fans never saw him grow or mature as a basketball player," then we might be able to have a conversation or find your opinion to be something more than you just crapping on one of our signings.

As for Chriss, I'm sure he's improved under Draymond's tutelage. Looks like Chriss shoots 20% from three now, so Draymond must be rubbing off on him.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#71 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:37 am

matt131 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

I mean, you came over the board to give the opinion: "Warriors fan here, can confirm DJones is practically useless."

If you came here and said, "it was frustrating to watch Jones because he wouldn't listen to the coaches and kept getting lost. He catches some highlight lobs and gets the occasional big block, but I'd temper expectations since we Warrior fans never saw him grow or mature as a basketball player," then we might be able to have a conversation or find your opinion to be something more than you just crapping on one of our signings.

As for Chriss, I'm sure he's improved under Draymond's tutelage. Looks like Chriss shoots 20% from three now, so Draymond must be rubbing off on him.

Look, I was messing around. I am sorry if it was seen as trolling, I really do like your team as constructed.

If you desire an actual analysis, Jones does not impact the game on any other level than getting wide open dunks. He has poor court awareness/low bball IQ on both ends. He cannot finish under duress and has poor touch overall. If he's not dunking it than its 50/50 that it goes in. Poor rebounder for a player of his physical tools. Little to no range outside of 10-12 feet. He has shown flashes of being a capable defender, but him not being above average for a big in that respect while lacking any type of offensive skillset, is why its hard for me to see him becoming a rotation player for any team.
bigfoot

Post#72 » by bigfoot » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:50 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
matt131 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

Look, I was messing around. I am sorry if it was seen as trolling, I really do like your team as constructed.

If you desire an actual analysis, Jones does not impact the game on any other level than getting wide open dunks. He has poor court awareness/low bball IQ on both ends. He cannot finish under duress and has poor touch overall. If he's not dunking it than its 50/50 that it goes in. Poor rebounder for a player of his physical tools. Little to no range outside of 10-12 feet.

Fair enough. Sounds like Alex "Hands of Stone" Len who was our "promise land" big man for too many years. Honestly, I only want a couple of things out of Jones ... 1) practice fodder for Ayton and Smith and 2) to teach Ayton how to roll with commitment to the basket. I believe Jones is very good at making hard dives to the basket.

We've seen what an aggressive PnR game can look like with Amare and Nash. Ayton is too soft on the PnR and the hope is with CP3 and some good practice sessions with Jones, Deandre can improve.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#73 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:55 am

bigfoot wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
matt131 wrote:

If you desire an actual analysis, Jones does not impact the game on any other level than getting wide open dunks. He has poor court awareness/low bball IQ on both ends. He cannot finish under duress and has poor touch overall. If he's not dunking it than its 50/50 that it goes in. Poor rebounder for a player of his physical tools. Little to no range outside of 10-12 feet.

Fair enough. Sounds like Alex "Hands of Stone" Len who was our "promise land" big man for too many years. Honestly, I only want a couple of things out of Jones ... 1) practice fodder for Ayton and Smith and 2) to teach Ayton how to roll with commitment to the basket. I believe Jones is very good at making hard dives to the basket.

We've seen what an aggressive PnR game can look like with Amare and Nash. Ayton is too soft on the PnR and the hope is with CP3 and some good practice sessions with Jones, Deandre can improve.

Yea, its nice to have a young, athletic big for the real heavy hitters to practice against. Jones does have above average athleticism and that could be useful to simulate against in practice. Wishing a happy and safe holidays to you all
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#74 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:53 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
matt131 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

If you desire an actual analysis, Jones does not impact the game on any other level than getting wide open dunks. He has poor court awareness/low bball IQ on both ends. He cannot finish under duress and has poor touch overall. If he's not dunking it than its 50/50 that it goes in. Poor rebounder for a player of his physical tools. Little to no range outside of 10-12 feet. He has shown flashes of being a capable defender, but him not being above average for a big in that respect while lacking any type of offensive skillset, is why its hard for me to see him becoming a rotation player for any team.

100x more useful than "Can confirm, he sucks".

What does he do well? How was he as a teammate? Positive locker room guy? Character issues off the court?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,181

Post#75 » by Biff » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:26 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Our only weakness is rebounding as we finished 21st in total rebounding per gamelast season as we usually play wings at 4. Maybe Smith can help there but I don't think we will improve our rebounding that much.

I think that we have improved rebounding with the additions of CP3, Crowder and Smith.

Paul has always been a very good rebounder for a PG, 4.5 per game and always in good position to avoid an offensive board.

Crowder can't be outmuscled in the paint and he is great boxing out. He helps a lot eating space around the rim, Oubre could not do that for us.

Jalen Smith looks a fantastic rebounder since day one. He has the tools, the technique and the heart so I think he will help us a lot in that aspect of the game.

You bring up a good point. Sometimes rebounding numbers can lie about the impact a player has on team rebounding. Some guys have high rebounding numbers but that doesn't seem to translate to a rebounding advantage for the team. Other guys have low rebounding numbers but the team always seems to have the rebounding advantage when they're on the floor. One guy that is overrated is Kevin Love and one that is underrated is Marc Gasol. Kevin Love appears to be a significantly better rebounder but I think Gasol impacts rebounding a lot more. Dude is just hyper intelligent and blocks and screens his man out very effectively. Love is great at grabbing boards but isn't nearly as good at blocking out and screening guys out so his teammates can grab the rebound. Steven Adams is another guy that impacts rebounding way more than his numbers suggest.

Anyway, I see Crowder the same as you, impacting rebounding in ways that go beyond just rebounding the ball. I guess you could call them rebounding assists or something. Some guys are really damn at those rebound assists.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#76 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:10 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
matt131 wrote:

100x more useful than "Can confirm, he sucks".

What does he do well? How was he as a teammate? Positive locker room guy? Character issues off the court?

Don't know his personality all too much but seemed like a quiet guy, good composure, positive attitude type.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#77 » by bwgood77 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:34 pm

I think if Paul stays healthy and we don't have major injuries or COVID problems, we could start off really well. Heck, we could jump out to the #1 seed.

If Paul isn't healthy, I think it will be so tight we could be fighting for the 8 seed, especially if Houston keeps Harden, and it appears they will.

LAL/LAC/DEN/DAL/UTA/POR/HOU/GS - that's a tough 8 and it will be a battle

I think our depth will be phenomenal and we will kill second units outside of maybe DEN, however, on some teams, guys like LeBron and AD play so many minutes they don't really drop off much throughout the game.

It is going to be interesting, but if healthy I think we will be quite a bit tougher than people expect. We have far more depth and talent than OKC last year, who was tied for the 4th seed, but also POR and GS are healthy, so if we face any health problems, it will be so tight we could slip from like 3rd to 8th or 9th quickly.

Memphis will be tough too, and maybe the Pelicans.

Return to Phoenix Suns