ImageImageImage

March Madness and 2021 Draft

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

User avatar
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
Posts: 5,286
And1: 6,857
Joined: Apr 22, 2016
Location: Phoenix
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#41 » by darealjuice » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:50 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
darealjuice wrote:I'm a fan of Ayo Dosunmu if we're looking at a guard in the later first round. Seems like a James Jones pick too. Consistent development in college, good 3-point shooter, high BPM (lol).


A while back, There have been some comparisons made for him to that of Jrue Holiday as his ultimate outcome. I was just wondering, Do you see any potential parallels in his overall game to that of Jrue Holiday? Do you feel that could be an accurate projection for him? :dontknow:


I doubt he'll be as good as Jrue defensively. I can see it a bit offensively though, they're both combo guards that can function well on- and off-ball. I like Ayo's development as a shooter, size/length, and athleticism, but he needs to continue developing his guard skills.
Wilber85
Veteran
Posts: 2,613
And1: 2,304
Joined: Oct 10, 2017
         

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#42 » by Wilber85 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:50 pm

I am not worried about our drafts anymore. Obviously, we cannot build through the draft. I will rely on free agency

2021 Pick will be some college veteran who sucks
User avatar
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
Posts: 5,286
And1: 6,857
Joined: Apr 22, 2016
Location: Phoenix
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#43 » by darealjuice » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:31 am

What a statement game from Cade Cunningham today. He's so skilled and smooth, and has great feel for the game. Only slight concerns would be that he's not an overly explosive athlete and he's been a bit turnover prone, but his combination of size and skill is really impressive.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
Posts: 821
And1: 334
Joined: Feb 14, 2021

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#44 » by TouchPassDario » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:10 am

Read on Twitter


LOVE this guy as our PFotF.

Doubt he gets out of the lotto/teens tho :(
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
Posts: 821
And1: 334
Joined: Feb 14, 2021

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#45 » by TouchPassDario » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:14 am

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
User avatar
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
Posts: 5,286
And1: 6,857
Joined: Apr 22, 2016
Location: Phoenix
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#46 » by darealjuice » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:06 am

Yeah no way Franz Wagner makes it that far unfortunately. NBA teams will love a guy like him.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 71,965
And1: 41,404
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#47 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:34 am

darealjuice wrote:What a statement game from Cade Cunningham today. He's so skilled and smooth, and has great feel for the game. Only slight concerns would be that he's not an overly explosive athlete and he's been a bit turnover prone, but his combination of size and skill is really impressive.


Yeah, 40 points, 11 boards, steals, blocks, 3s. I remember last time I watched OKLA/OK St they had near identical records and conference records but OKLA was in the top 10 an OK St wasn't ranked...I noticed same thing today. Just a tougher non conference schedule I guess? I haven't really looked at why.
User avatar
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
Posts: 5,286
And1: 6,857
Joined: Apr 22, 2016
Location: Phoenix
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#48 » by darealjuice » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:50 am

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:What a statement game from Cade Cunningham today. He's so skilled and smooth, and has great feel for the game. Only slight concerns would be that he's not an overly explosive athlete and he's been a bit turnover prone, but his combination of size and skill is really impressive.


Yeah, 40 points, 11 boards, steals, blocks, 3s. I remember last time I watched OKLA/OK St they had near identical records and conference records but OKLA was in the top 10 an OK St wasn't ranked...I noticed same thing today. Just a tougher non conference schedule I guess? I haven't really looked at why.


Oklahoma will drop Monday after losing to Oklahoma State and Kansas State, and Oklahoma State will go up after beating Oklahoma and Texas Tech this week too. But yeah Oklahoma just had more ranked wins.
User avatar
RedIndian
Senior
Posts: 608
And1: 755
Joined: May 23, 2010

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#49 » by RedIndian » Fri Mar 5, 2021 12:33 pm

Wagner won't fall to us, but the one European player we must look for is Filip Petrusev. Petrusev was at Gonzaga for a couple of years and averaged 17/8 in his second season before turning pro this year and playing in the Adriatic League.

As a pro, he's averaging 23.1 ppg/7.4 rpg/2.6 apg on 58/44/78 splits.

6'11, 240 pounds - he plays a lot like Domantas Sabonis. Decent athlete, very skilled scorer and passer in the post, and now showing good range from the 3 as well. Just a an experienced, smart, and productive player and he's still only 20.

I could see him being a long-term Kaminsky upgrade and potentially even someone who makes Saric expendable in a couple of years if we need to use Saric as a piece in a trade.

User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 71,965
And1: 41,404
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#50 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 10:44 pm

It's weird seeing us 29th on tankathon.

On their mock, they have us taking 6'8 Australian PG, Josh Giddey. He is 23rd on their big board.



User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,220
And1: 1,358
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#51 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Mar 6, 2021 10:57 pm

bwgood77 wrote:It's weird seeing us 29th on tankathon.

On their mock, they have us taking 6'8 Australian PG, Josh Giddey. He is 23rd on their big board.





I mean he's obviously not Luka, But he could still be a fairly nice consolation prize at his size to provide frontcourt playmaking at the 3 or 4 ( in small ball lineups) perhaps ?

Then we could perhaps explore a bargain big in the 2nd round or perhaps a more traditional point guard depending upon which proves to be a more critical depth issue for us this offseason. :D
Image
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 71,965
And1: 41,404
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#52 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 11:31 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:It's weird seeing us 29th on tankathon.

On their mock, they have us taking 6'8 Australian PG, Josh Giddey. He is 23rd on their big board.





I mean he's obviously not Luka, But he could still be a fairly nice consolation prize at his size to provide frontcourt playmaking at the 3 or 4 ( in small ball lineups) perhaps ?

Then we could perhaps explore a bargain big in the 2nd round or perhaps a more traditional point guard depending upon which proves to be a more critical depth issue for us this offseason. :D


I think he'd play PG, not a 3 or 4.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
Posts: 821
And1: 334
Joined: Feb 14, 2021

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#53 » by TouchPassDario » Sun Mar 7, 2021 3:13 am

I think Dosunmu would be a good get for us in the mid 20s. I don’t know who Giddey is supposed to guard.
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,220
And1: 1,358
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#54 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Mar 7, 2021 5:55 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:It's weird seeing us 29th on tankathon.

On their mock, they have us taking 6'8 Australian PG, Josh Giddey. He is 23rd on their big board.





I mean he's obviously not Luka, But he could still be a fairly nice consolation prize at his size to provide frontcourt playmaking at the 3 or 4 ( in small ball lineups) perhaps ?

Then we could perhaps explore a bargain big in the 2nd round or perhaps a more traditional point guard depending upon which proves to be a more critical depth issue for us this offseason. :D


I think he'd play PG, not a 3 or 4.


I'd be cool with that for the mismatches of course at his size in the backcourt with Booker. How is his ballhandling skillset, And his burst? Is he a solid defender? I haven't really followed the draft or prospects much at all this season, As we're finally a legitimate playoff team for a change. But he's absolutely intriguing. :nod:
Image
User avatar
Kerrsed
Senior Mod - Suns
Senior Mod - Suns
Posts: 29,830
And1: 16,517
Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Location: Land of the Internet Memes
Contact:
     

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#55 » by Kerrsed » Sun Mar 7, 2021 9:01 am

I like Giddy alot for where we are going to end up drafting. I posted about him back in the beginning of February, and all the updates i have seen since have been nothing but good things.

He is currently very Ben Simmons-like, his size makes him a solid defender, he is an excellent passer, and really knows how to lead a team. Just like Ben, his jumpshot is shaky, but reports are he has been working on it and its improved.

1st on his team in Assists and Steals.
2nd on his team for Blocks.
3rd on his team for Rebounds.
4th on his team in Scoring.

4th in the League in Assists. 6th in the League in Steals. 18th in the League in Blocks (#1 Guard in Blocks).

The kid is also being talked about being put in as the starting PG for the Aussie Olympic Squad (AUS NBA players may not be going this year).

Image

Image
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Image
User avatar
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 16,558
And1: 9,299
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Contact:
     

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#56 » by Qwigglez » Sun Mar 7, 2021 9:21 am

Can he grow his hair out like Steven Adams? Can he grow a mustache like Steven Adams? If the answer is yes to both, then yes we draft Josh Giddey.
User avatar
RedIndian
Senior
Posts: 608
And1: 755
Joined: May 23, 2010

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#57 » by RedIndian » Sun Mar 7, 2021 6:15 pm

Giddey's shot looks terrible. 37/26/66 splits. Lots of inconsistency in his shooting form too.

Also think he needs to work significantly on his body to handle regular playing time in the NBA.

Definitely a very talented passer and an advanced feel for the game. But I'd see him needing at least a couple of years before he could contribute positively on an NBA court.

With Jones, you know, especially given our current trajectory, he'd be looking for guys who can come in and contribute straight away.
dremill24
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,602
And1: 1,200
Joined: Jan 11, 2016
 

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#58 » by dremill24 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 6:31 pm

RedIndian wrote:With Jones, you know, especially given our current trajectory, he'd be looking for guys who can come in and contribute straight away.


Like Jalen Smith? :wink:
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 71,965
And1: 41,404
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#59 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 6:57 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
I mean he's obviously not Luka, But he could still be a fairly nice consolation prize at his size to provide frontcourt playmaking at the 3 or 4 ( in small ball lineups) perhaps ?

Then we could perhaps explore a bargain big in the 2nd round or perhaps a more traditional point guard depending upon which proves to be a more critical depth issue for us this offseason. :D


I think he'd play PG, not a 3 or 4.


I'd be cool with that for the mismatches of course at his size in the backcourt with Booker. How is his ballhandling skillset, And his burst? Is he a solid defender? I haven't really followed the draft or prospects much at all this season, As we're finally a legitimate playoff team for a change. But he's absolutely intriguing. :nod:


Well there is a prospect video breakdown video, which I posted, which might go over that, but I haven't watched him a lot. I haven't watched a lot of him, and know only one guy who has watched him in person, so maybe you could ask him. I imagine his ball handling is great, looking at that video. Some of those passes are amazing..he is basically ambidextrous and could pass and finish with either hand and I think his ball handling looks great. I don't know what position he would guard though..the guy that has seen him mentions he watched him impact a game on defense too. Some of the taller PGs end up being the great defenders though...he's a little taller than Lonzo Ball but not as tall as Ben Simmons.

Here is a link to the thread where the guy I mentioned who watched him discussed him viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033070&start=80#p89372076
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 71,965
And1: 41,404
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2021 Draft and College Basketball 

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 7:10 pm

RedIndian wrote:Giddey's shot looks terrible. 37/26/66 splits. Lots of inconsistency in his shooting form too.

Also think he needs to work significantly on his body to handle regular playing time in the NBA.

Definitely a very talented passer and an advanced feel for the game. But I'd see him needing at least a couple of years before he could contribute positively on an NBA court.

With Jones, you know, especially given our current trajectory, he'd be looking for guys who can come in and contribute straight away.


I had seen his shooting splits and knew his shot needed work, but didn't write him off because of that after I did with LaMelo and his 37/25/72 splits. The guy here who has seen him said he looks exceptional. I saw another guy think he's a lotto pick. I imagine the shooting will be the main thing, like with LaMelo and Simmons.

Yeah, I can see Jones not wanting to go international. I would say Jones would want someone to come in right away too but also don't know if that was his thinking with Smith or knew he'd take time. At the same time, our roster is pretty set like 10 guys deep at least for the next two years (except only 1 year of Paul for sure) so he may not worry if he thinks someone has great upside.

BUT, I also don't see him taking a guy who doesn't shoot well, which, overall is fine by me. This is usually the type of guy I would write off like Ball, and I'm not really even saying I'm high on him, only that I saw he was mocked to us....I do love great passers though.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033070&start=20#p88068564

Return to Phoenix Suns