ImageImageImage

2021 Fantasy B-Ball

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Re: 2020 Fantasy Basketball Thread (Dynasty/Premier/G-League) 

Post#21 » by sunskerr » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:35 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
sunskerr wrote:Dynasty:

@Kerrsed My team has the young talent but they are high potential up and coming star talent. So I won't be giving up 9-10 years of those guys for 1-2 years of older guys when I was projected to be a top 4 team last year before Kyrie shut it down. I may look to consolidate some of the guys I have for a true 2nd star to put next to Trae.

I'm always open to trade offers even if I'm content with the skeleton/foundation of my team. Feel free to fire away. I like seeing all trade offers and trying to work from there. The only guy I actually consider untouchable is Trae.

edit: also here come the preseason overreact pickups.

I mean, in a league this deep, might as well jump on a guy who had a flash in preseason for your 12th man.

lol speaking of which here I come with my own preseason add :lol:
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#22 » by TASTIC » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:38 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:

@Kerrsed My team has the young talent but they are high potential up and coming star talent. So I won't be giving up 9-10 years of those guys for 1-2 years of older guys when I was projected to be a top 4 team last year before Kyrie shut it down. I may look to consolidate some of the guys I have for a true 2nd star to put next to Trae.

I'm always open to trade offers even if I'm content with the skeleton/foundation of my team. Feel free to fire away. I like seeing all trade offers and trying to work from there. The only guy I actually consider untouchable is Trae.

I mean, in a league this deep, might as well jump on a guy who had a flash in preseason for your 12th man.

Yip. I liked Crowder but know what his ceiling is and what his weaknesses are. If I didn't grab THT someone else would have and he's essentially a 20yr old rookie on an old team where he'll get plenty of mop-up duty in routs and spot starts when they rest their big dogs. Happy to stash too
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#23 » by MathiasPW » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:58 am

James Harden is on the block. He can be had for two cows, three sheep and a pig.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#24 » by Kerrsed » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:57 am

MathiasPW wrote:James Harden is on the block. He can be had for two cows, three sheep and a pig.

Who is Harden supposed to be fighting next? Looks like he moved up 3 weight classes.

He still looked good tonight.

Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,671

Post#25 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:32 pm

TASTIC wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

Yip. I liked Crowder but know what his ceiling is and what his weaknesses are. If I didn't grab THT someone else would have and he's essentially a 20yr old rookie on an old team where he'll get plenty of mop-up duty in routs and spot starts when they rest their big dogs. Happy to stash too
For sure. IMO early in the season you should always have a couple lotto tickets at the back end of your roster. You can always cut them later if you need to actually put someone in your lineup.

This preseason I've grabbed Okoro, Hunter, and lonnie walker. Likely I cut some or all eventually but if one hits then I have a nice young keeper.

Funny note: I was actually looking at Tucker the moment you added him. I brought up his profile and he was a FA then it refreshed and it showed on your roster. Don't think I have ever seen that happen before.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#26 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:04 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
TASTIC wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:I mean, in a league this deep, might as well jump on a guy who had a flash in preseason for your 12th man.

For sure. IMO early in the season you should always have a couple lotto tickets at the back end of your roster. You can always cut them later if you need to actually put someone in your lineup.

This preseason I've grabbed Okoro, Hunter, and lonnie walker. Likely I cut some or all eventually but if one hits then I have a nice young keeper.

Funny note: I was actually looking at Tucker the moment you added him. I brought up his profile and he was a FA then it refreshed and it showed on your roster. Don't think I have ever seen that happen before.

I noticed Lonnie Walker last night and maybe would have picked him up if I didn't already have 3 rookies. Couldn't really drop anyone else. Though maybe you picked him up prior to last night.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,172

Post#27 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:49 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
TASTIC wrote:Yip. I liked Crowder but know what his ceiling is and what his weaknesses are. If I didn't grab THT someone else would have and he's essentially a 20yr old rookie on an old team where he'll get plenty of mop-up duty in routs and spot starts when they rest their big dogs. Happy to stash too

I noticed Lonnie Walker last night and maybe would have picked him up if I didn't already have 3 rookies. Couldn't really drop anyone else. Though maybe you picked him up prior to last night.

Man, I had Lonnie Walker once upon a time, but Pop didn't really give him any run. That's what scared me away from drafting Vassell, too. It feels like his young players have no leash at all. Of course, this will probably be the year he let's them go...
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,698

Post#28 » by Qwigglez » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Anyone want to talk about their strategy for Dynasty?

In terms of my strategy on keepers I didn't really have a huge dilemma it was a pretty easy decision, though I did want to keep Redick. I don't remember who else was even on my roster besides Chriss who I think may play decent this season too. I was contemplating letting Kuzma go but I believe he's up for an extension or RFA this off-season so I was hoping he'd have a big year. For the draft, I immediately took Lou Williams to help boost my FT% and assist numbers, his low FG% won't hurt too badly since a lot of my core guys shoot really well. My 2nd pick was Boogie, before he played in his preseason games, and I just thought he was in a situation where he can easily get similar numbers he had with the Warriors which was probably a top 80 player or so. If he improves, even better. My next 3 picks were guys I thought had decent upside and still young in Gary Harris, Nunn, and Jabari Parker.
Also the trade of Giannis for AD was partly because I was bored, and then partly because Giannis, Drummond, and Whiteside combined FT% was going to murder me. Oh and Weekapau is a Bucks fans so I wanted to give him the opportunity of having Giannis. If he offered me Embiid instead I would have just kept Giannis lol. I was fielding trade offers from a couple others but there offers were two for ones and that's not what I wanted.
I feel my team has the potential of finishing in the top 4. Though I think my rebounding numbers will dip slightly from losing Giannis & Whiteside playing more limited minutes. I'm hoping because of trading Giannis for AD, along with taking Lou Williams that it will boost me up significantly further in FT% since I believe I was bottom 3 in that category.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,671

Post#29 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Anyone want to talk about their strategy for Dynasty?

In terms of my strategy on keepers I didn't really have a huge dilemma it was a pretty easy decision, though I did want to keep Redick. I don't remember who else was even on my roster besides Chriss who I think may play decent this season too. I was contemplating letting Kuzma go but I believe he's up for an extension or RFA this off-season so I was hoping he'd have a big year. For the draft, I immediately took Lou Williams to help boost my FT% and assist numbers, his low FG% won't hurt too badly since a lot of my core guys shoot really well. My 2nd pick was Boogie, before he played in his preseason games, and I just thought he was in a situation where he can easily get similar numbers he had with the Warriors which was probably a top 80 player or so. If he improves, even better. My next 3 picks were guys I thought had decent upside and still young in Gary Harris, Nunn, and Jabari Parker.
Also the trade of Giannis for AD was partly because I was bored, and then partly because Giannis, Drummond, and Whiteside combined FT% was going to murder me. Oh and Weekapau is a Bucks fans so I wanted to give him the opportunity of having Giannis. If he offered me Embiid instead I would have just kept Giannis lol. I was fielding trade offers from a couple others but there offers were two for ones and that's not what I wanted.
I feel my team has the potential of finishing in the top 4. Though I think my rebounding numbers will dip slightly from losing Giannis & Whiteside playing more limited minutes. I'm hoping because of trading Giannis for AD, along with taking Lou Williams that it will boost me up significantly further in FT% since I believe I was bottom 3 in that category.
I appreciate the heads up on Giannis. I almost countered with Embiid plus your pick of anyone else but figured why mess around and just get it done.

This was one of the easier years for me to choose keepers because my team wasn't great last year. Choosing to keep isaac and pj washington and giving up a 1st was my hardest choice but I didn't love this rookie class so didn't mind not having that pick. I guess everyone was down in this class since a guy like Okoro didn't even get drafted at all.

I'm one of those dudes who tries to get guys I like on all my fantasy teams even my paid football squads. It's just more fun that way.

My general strategy is to not suck at any CAT and then load up and try to win a few. I also purposely lag on games in the 1st half then try to stream a little later on and target CATs that are close. Some CATs like assists and steals are harder to find on the waivers than 3s or rebounds.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#30 » by bigfoot » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Anyone want to talk about their strategy for Dynasty?

My strategy is hoping some of my young guys I've drafted the previous two seasons get actual starter minutes and stay injury-free (yeah I'm talking about you Zion). I had to dump Mo Bamba because he just didn't produce and then has lingering effects from COVID. Probably a decent decision. MPJ, Herro, Zion, and LaMelo make a nice young core to build around Curry and Covington if they get major minutes. Maybe Melton and Malichi Flynn will show something this season too. I picked up Melton again with my last draft choice and Flynn off of the undrafted list. Considering there are 150 starters in the NBA and we had roughly 125 keepers there aren't many starter-level players left in the second round of the dynasty draft and felt lucky to pick up Mike Conley. The first round obviously had to be a youngster with Ball. I think I'm still the worst team in the league unless all of my young guys play major minutes but I hope I will eventually get a chance to start fine-tuning categories.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#31 » by Desertfox » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:31 pm

I have a solid young core in Tatum, SGA, VanVleet, and Oubre, and then there is Paul George, that I would love to trade but nobody wants him. My problem is I have way too many SF/PFs (due to a dumb trade last year, good value but bad fit) and no good Cs. I only had 6 true keepers so keeping the first round pick was a no brainer, especially after landing at one. Went with who I felt would be the most productive rookie in Toppin, which was probably a bad decision seeing how he is a SF/PF...
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Kerrsed » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 pm

My strat has always been to just compete for a top 3 finish since we started this league. Of course i came in first that first season. Second season somehow i finished 9th, but was hit with the injury bug left and right. Corrected my course and placed 4th last year, but should have been much higher as i had less games played than the guys who finished in the top 3 (Yahoo kinda screwed the pooch on that for everybody).

Ive pretty much been about having the best guys i can get regardless of their age. To me, wasting redraft picks on rookies is a bit of a waste of time, as only a small handful will ever end up making it as great players, and usually you have to just have them sit at the end of your bench for years wondering if they will ever pan out, while having the possibility of having to sacrifice an actual good player that produces so you can keep that youngster another season and hope he finally breaks out. Thats something i have avoided doing at all costs and have seen other suffer because of it. And because people take these kind of rookies (Or guys still on their rookie contracts) that dont produce because they are stuck sitting on the bench, that leaves a better crop of players for me to draft every season that will help right away as opposed to 5 years down the line.

But as Qwigglez mentioned, sometimes you get bored and just want to change it up for changes sake, and thats the point i hit this year (In both Dynasty and The Premier League). Since ive places all my veterans on the trading block, ive got some solid offers come in, but none that have really forced my hand to make the deal. Its hard when you have a guy like Lebron who despite his age still gives you top 15 stats and just re-signed for another 4 seasons, and people send solid offers, but the youngsters you get in return are giving you around top 50 value, but you know that they will never end up giving you top 25 value ever in their careers, yet i expect Lebron to continue to be under that number for remainder of his contract. Its a bit of a dilemma. As for the other vets, had a few solid offers and will probably take some of them once the season starts to get underway, just so i can get a peek at how they look and if i see that that potential is still there. With vets you more or less know what you are getting from them (Specially high level guys), with the youngsters its more of a crapshoot. But yeah, boredom has definitely struck and am looking to do something different with both my fantasy squads this year and liven things up and take risks.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
MrMiyagi

Post#33 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:55 pm

I have no real idea about what I should be doing this season for Dynasty. I feel like I got the most talent rookie in the draft, and I'm half-convinced KD will be largely what he was minus the defensive stats, and that Hayward is going to have his best season in a while as the guy in Charlotte (EDIT: **** HELL HE FRACTURED HIS HAND AGAIN?!). Bledsoe in New Orleans is a weird fit. I hope WCJr can step his game up. Kennard was looking like an alright option on Detroit, less so as a reserve in LA.

I feel like I need to make a move to get younger, but want to wait and see some regular season action before making that decision.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
MrMiyagi

Post#34 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Kerrsed wrote:My strat has always been to just compete for a top 3 finish since we started this league. Of course i came in first that first season. Second season somehow i finished 9th, but was hit with the injury bug left and right. Corrected my course and placed 4th last year, but should have been much higher as i had less games played than the guys who finished in the top 3 (Yahoo kinda screwed the pooch on that for everybody).

Ive pretty much been about having the best guys i can get regardless of their age. To me, wasting redraft picks on rookies is a bit of a waste of time, as only a small handful will ever end up making it as great players, and usually you have to just have them sit at the end of your bench for years wondering if they will ever pan out, while having the possibility of having to sacrifice an actual good player that produces so you can keep that youngster another season and hope he finally breaks out. Thats something i have avoided doing at all costs and have seen other suffer because of it. And because people take these kind of rookies (Or guys still on their rookie contracts) that dont produce because they are stuck sitting on the bench, that leaves a better crop of players for me to draft every season that will help right away as opposed to 5 years down the line.

But as Qwigglez mentioned, sometimes you get bored and just want to change it up for changes sake, and thats the point i hit this year (In both Dynasty and The Premier League). Since ive places all my veterans on the trading block, ive got some solid offers come in, but none that have really forced my hand to make the deal. Its hard when you have a guy like Lebron who despite his age still gives you top 15 stats and just re-signed for another 4 seasons, and people send solid offers, but the youngsters you get in return are giving you around top 50 value, but you know that they will never end up giving you top 25 value ever in their careers, yet i expect Lebron to continue to be under that number for remainder of his contract. Its a bit of a dilemma. As for the other vets, had a few solid offers and will probably take some of them once the season starts to get underway, just so i can get a peek at how they look and if i see that that potential is still there. With vets you more or less know what you are getting from them (Specially high level guys), with the youngsters its more of a crapshoot. But yeah, boredom has definitely struck and am looking to do something different with both my fantasy squads this year and liven things up and take risks.

Excuse me, I was champ 1st season. You got it year 2. I think the first year was with ESPN though, and then we switched it to Yahoo.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Kerrsed » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:30 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:Excuse me, I was champ 1st season. You got it year 2. I think the first year was with ESPN though, and then we switched it to Yahoo.

You are correct good sir, i forgot all about the ESPN season. That was you 1st, Mathias 2nd, and i believe i was 3rd. Trying to find the old thread.
MrMiyagi

Post#36 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:Excuse me, I was champ 1st season. You got it year 2. I think the first year was with ESPN though, and then we switched it to Yahoo.

You are correct good sir, i forgot all about the ESPN season. That was you 1st, Mathias 2nd, and i believe i was 3rd. Trying to find the old thread.

It's in the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LWc-TP573LjiEJF8lfLFkEFcxhdicjLY9YnCy2YX4zk/edit#gid=459739526
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Kerrsed » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:

It's in the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LWc-TP573LjiEJF8lfLFkEFcxhdicjLY9YnCy2YX4zk/edit#gid=459739526

WOW, i got 8th?!?? Crazy, i thought i did much better that first season.

Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#38 » by Desertfox » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:44 pm

Kerrsed wrote:But as Qwigglez mentioned, sometimes you get bored and just want to change it up for changes sake, and thats the point i hit this year (In both Dynasty and The Premier League)... But yeah, boredom has definitely struck and am looking to do something different with both my fantasy squads this year and liven things up and take risks.
*Jedi mind trick* Cap league... *Jedi mind trick*
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#39 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:32 am

I will try to compete. I probably made a bad trade last year to change stuff up trading Gobert and Westbrook for Jokic and Smart, but I kind or expected Westbrook's stats to take a dive playing with Harden.

It really killed my blocks though, especially since I don't have any other keeper bigs.

I have mostly youngish players with my keepers being Jokic, Middleton, Otto Porter, LeVert, Marcus Smart, Dejounte Murray and Cam Reddish. I wasn't sure who to keep between Reddish, Hardaway Jr and Duncan Robinson but with a little research, felt Reddish was probably the best to bank on for a dynasty team..he just really needs to get that FG% up.

Hopefully I didn't screw up in the draft with the 3rd pick. I figured Wiseman would go #1 and almost traded up, but by then I had kind of talked myself into really liking Killian Hayes at 3, assuming Wiseman for sure is gone by my pick.

Oddly enough, he wasn't but I kind of had looked at Hayes SO much I felt he might provide more, and while I was desperate for blocks and could use the rebounds, I ended up sticking with Hayes....I think I pulled a James Jones sticking with my guy instead of going with a guy I thought was no way would be there even though maybe I thought he was the better player before research.

So, at that point, needing the blocks, rebonds and FG% I first took Holmes, and then went with Steven Adams. I kind of expect Holmes to really improve this year..he already improved a great deal last year and had an absurd FG%. In hindsight I'm pretty surprised he was available given where he finished in fantasy last year (I think he was ranked in the 30s) and how young he is.

Then I took Aleksej Pokuveski...so that will be interesting. I expect him to get playing time in OKC, and he may put up stats in every category but he's obviously raw.

I took Lamb with my last pick, but ended up dropping him for Theo Maledon.

So I really have a young team but most of my core is hitting their prime and in the draft I got a top rookie guard, a gamble on Aleksej and a couple of bigs...one older and one younger.

My team should only improve with time, but it would be nice to compete this year. Might be hard though as it seems like some teams have 2 superstars...I think I only have one player in the top 50 and maybe 2 in the top 75...but most of my others are like between 75-100.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#40 » by sunskerr » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 am

For dynasty: We need to keep a running tally of most championships won, and imo that should be a major, if not the biggest and most celebrated measure in our league's history. As of now, if we only keep track of total points, I think many managers will remain inclined to simply sit on their guys for 10 years instead of cashing in for a win now player(s). Why go all in for a year or two when you can just sit in the top 5 for the next 10 years and not ever have to rebuild?

I think a great real life example is/was (before recent years, at least), I'm sure you all know who I'm going to bring up- The Phoenix Suns, our own team, have never won a championship. We've been celebrated as a model of consistency, but the most talked about franchises like the Warriors, Lakers, etc. have won championships and have therefore won their league (the NBA). Even a single championship, such as the Mavericks, is celebrated.

Imo to better reflect real life, the first thing that should be featured for each GM should be how many championships that GM has won. Needless to say, championships should not carry over for teams that change ownership.

This imo will also have the added benefit of driving up player movement (even though imo we already move players pretty well) and competitiveness amongst teams, especially those at the top or those looking to leapfrog other teams.

Return to Phoenix Suns