ImageImageImage

2021 Playoff and Offseason Speculation - the playoffs. PLAYOFFS????

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will we extend Bridges or will Sarver not pay 4 players big money for 1 or 2 years?

Yes, we extend him or at least match any offer as he is part of core
88%
No, Sarver will want to trade him to save money so little salary coming back, draft pick
13%

Total votes: 24

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Re: 2021 Season Speculation - the final third of the season underway 

Post#2741 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Great write up on the Suns D.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#2742 » by BobbieL » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:16 pm

LV-Suns wrote:Birch would have been a great pickup if he wanted to come here, I have been a pretty big fan since his UNLV days. But he looks like he going back home to Canada.

Gary Clark just got waived by the Nuggets. We still have a 2-way roster spot open. Might be a good pickup without cutting anyone from the roster.

Looks like Clarkis going to a team in the East for the playoff run. Thats per Real GM notes section above
Thought he would be a solid fit for the Suns

As was said - wonder if Baynes gets bought out soon. Would have interest in the Suns?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#2743 » by Saberestar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:03 pm

BobbieL wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:Birch would have been a great pickup if he wanted to come here, I have been a pretty big fan since his UNLV days. But he looks like he going back home to Canada.

Gary Clark just got waived by the Nuggets. We still have a 2-way roster spot open. Might be a good pickup without cutting anyone from the roster.

Looks like Clarkis going to a team in the East for the playoff run. Thats per Real GM notes section above

As was said - wonder if Baynes gets bought out soon. Would have interest in the Suns?

IDK if Baynes gets bought out, but if that is the case I can not see him deciding where he plays anymore. He has been TERRIBLE all season long, ask to the Raptors fans.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#2744 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:11 pm

Saberestar wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

IDK if Baynes gets bought out, but if that is the case I can not see him deciding where he plays anymore. He has been TERRIBLE all season long, ask to the Raptors fans.

He's just playing the same way he played for us last season, absent the shooting streaks.

Speaking of our ex-centers, anyone put their eyes on the Wizards' box score last night? Robin Lopez had a great game! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#2745 » by Flying Colors » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:04 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

He's just playing the same way he played for us last season, absent the shooting streaks.

Speaking of our ex-centers, anyone put their eyes on the Wizards' box score last night? Robin Lopez had a great game! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Would love to bring RoLo back at some point
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#2746 » by Slim Charless » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:51 am

Flying Colors wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Saberestar wrote:IDK if Baynes gets bought out, but if that is the case I can not see him deciding where he plays anymore. He has been TERRIBLE all season long, ask to the Raptors fans.

Would love to bring RoLo back at some point

Watching the LAL game now, wish they would cut Gasol free. His exp. in big games and just general knowledge would be huge for us. He'd help Ayton a ton just giving him some one on one time in practice. Unfortunately LeGM is too smart/lame to let Marc go, as I imagine he'd sign with us or the Clippers if he got free.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#2747 » by Saberestar » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:57 am

After watching the Clippers game I am thinking about Nicolas Batum as a potential target this summer.

We can offer him the mid-level exception (around $10M per year) on a two year deal.

I do not think the Clippers will pay him that much and we can upgrade that SF/PF position with him over Craig or Nader.

A wing rotation of Bridges/Cam J/Crowder/Batum would be perfect on paper. With their defense, shooting and versatility there will be always minutes available for all of them.

Batum is close to 6'9 and will give us a bit more of size, playmaking and passing than our current wings.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#2748 » by King4Day » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:23 pm

Saberestar wrote:After watching the Clippers game I am thinking about Nicolas Batum as a potential target this summer.

We can offer him the mid-level exception (around $10M per year) on a two year deal.

I do not think the Clippers will pay him that much and we can upgrade that SF/PF position with him over Craig or Nader.

A wing rotation of Bridges/Cam J/Crowder/Batum would be perfect on paper. With their defense, shooting and versatility there will be always minutes available for all of them.

Batum is close to 6'9 and will give us a bit more of size, playmaking and passing than our current wings.

Interesting idea. We need to hit a homerun this summer with whoever we make a run at.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#2749 » by Wilber85 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:40 pm

King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:After watching the Clippers game I am thinking about Nicolas Batum as a potential target this summer.

Interesting idea. We need to hit a homerun this summer with whoever we make a run at.

Batum and home run in the same sentence is ridiculous. Give me Craig or Nader over Batum any day of the week, especially when you compare salaries.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#2750 » by Frank Lee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:56 pm

Easy pass on Batum
We can do so much better. Need more length and athleticism. Jones and co have their blueprint. The key to this new found D is the ability to switch and maintain pressure. I expect/hope Craig and Nader to remain. They fit the print. That, with DA anchoring the paint altering more than blocking shots, makes most every bucket contested.
What ? Me Worry ?
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#2751 » by King4Day » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:15 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Batum and home run in the same sentence is ridiculous. Give me Craig or Nader over Batum any day of the week, especially when you compare salaries.

I didn't use Batum and homerun in the same sentence. I used 'whoever' and 'homerun' in the same sentence.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#2752 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:10 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Easy pass on Batum
We can do so much better. Need more length and athleticism. Jones and co have their blueprint. The key to this new found D is the ability to switch and maintain pressure. I expect/hope Craig and Nader to remain. They fit the print. That, with DA anchoring the paint altering more than blocking shots, makes most every bucket contested.

Pretty sure plan at deadline was to maximize chemistry by keeping roster and roles intact. This should give us a pretty clear read on who our guys are and what they can do when the stakes are highest, as well as the clearest possible read on what we're missing.

The only rotation piece we're missing right now, IMO, is Nader. I think he takes all those Carter/Galloway minutes if healthy.

In terms of what we're missing if we're at full strength? Hmmm... maybe just, Jae Crowder hitting his shots? For Dario to not lay an egg? A more determined Deandre late in the game on offense? The truth is, there aren't any monster teams out there right now. This team on all cylinders might just prove to be enough - unless the Nets are healthy and clicking. Then, God help us.

This summer, why not go big with a sign-and-trade for John Collins? See what it takes to grab Christian Wood or Chris Boucher (my targets last offseason... damn... the question our FO will have to ask is whether we see Stix taking a big step next season. We need him to leapfrog Kaminsky at least.)

Payne is solid and I hope we keep him, and Craig, AND Nader, though I'm sure there's too much I don't know about Craig/Nader/Moore/Carter/Galloway and I doubt we'll keep ALL our guards and forwards! Overall I like our backup options at the forward spots plenty, so if we can't acquire a starting 4, perhaps I'd be interested in adding a more dangerous backup 2/1 (making Payne the 4th rather than 3rd guard). But chemistry's a troublesome thing, so maybe that would be too much.

We just need our guys to hit our shots and pray that our Big 3 proves themselves worthy. CP3 vs. Kyrie. Book vs. Harden. Harris and Durant may be too much for Bridges and Crowder. But then it's up to Ayton to prove that The Deandre of the 2020s >>> The Deandre of the 2010s. What a killer Finals Suns/Nets would be!
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#2753 » by Saberestar » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:41 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Well, I think we need to maintain the same roster for next season, but we have the ability to improve a bit our team using our MLE (around $10M).

Batum is clearly better than Craig or Nader, I think that is not even debatable...I mean, the guy has started most of the season for the Clippers and is playing great defense, he is a known commodity in the league for years similar to Jae Crowder.

It is just an idea. I do not want exactly the same roster back when we have the opportunity to grab some good player to improve our depth next seasom.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#2754 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:49 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Well, I think we need to maintain the same roster for next season, but we have the ability to improve a bit our team using our MLE (around $10M).

Batum is clearly better than Craig or Nader, I think that is not even debatable...I mean, the guy has started most of the season for the Clippers and is playing great defense, he is a known commodity in the league for years similar to Jae Crowder.

It is just an idea. I do not want exactly the same roster back when we have the opportunity to grab some good player to improve our depth next seasom.

Batum is weird. He has looked good this season but terrible the last few. I think I'd prefer Craig. Nader may continue to improve and play with more composure though.

Not sure we can keep all these guys though.

I would still target a backup big first and foremost.

Hopefully Smith puts on some weight and develops a lot over the summer.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#2755 » by oddity » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:29 pm

Year 2 Jalen Smith might just come outta nowhere and surprise some on this board. He could unlock the next level for this team defensively with a great combo of length/athleticism.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,625

Post#2756 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:12 pm

King4Day wrote:

Give me Jae Crowder for $9-10m a year.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#2757 » by Barkley6 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:43 pm

I think Payne, Craig, Nader come back, and we use the MLE or BAE to add a better backup big of which there are plenty on the market this offseason.

It's kind of a weird set up because what we really need is a good 2 guard, and a good true C. There are very very few guards that are in our price range that I think would be a definitive upgrade over Gallo, Moore and Carter. However, there are a ton (like, 15) solid backup vet bigs:

Robin Lopez, Daniel Theis, Nerlens Noel, Enes Kanter, Richuan Holmes, Javale McGee, Bismack Biyombo, Dwight Howard, Hassan Whiteside, Willy Hernangomez, Alex Len, Gorgui Dieng, Frank Kaminsky, Dewayne Dedmon.

I would think we could snag one of them fairly easily with the BAE or MLE depending on how much of a priority we think it is.

For the Guards, it looks like:

Bryn Forbes, Derrick Rose, Ish Smith, Reggie Jackson, and TJ McConnell

Kind of an uninspiring crop, though I'd personally love to bring Derrick Rose to Phoenix, and I gotta think he might enjoy Phoenix after Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, and New York.

But all that said, if we came away this offseason having re-signed Payne, Craig and Nader and added say....Hernangomez (BAE) and Rose (MLE).

I'd say we definitely got significantly better.

Our roster would look like:

CP3, Rose, Payne,
Book, Nader, Carter
Bridges, CamJo, Craig
Crowder, Saric, Stix
Ayton, Hernangomez

Then we'd likely use the last roster spot for our draft pick, and still have our two way slots open.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#2758 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:16 am

We could go 10-11 from here and still comfortably finish in the 4 v 5 matchup with Utah in the 2nd round.

So if we take a wider view we may start to prioritise health and rest more than results pretty soon.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#2759 » by Frank Lee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 am

oddity wrote:Year 2 Jalen Smith might just come outta nowhere and surprise some on this board. He could unlock the next level for this team defensively with a great combo of length/athleticism.

If I had an elephant, I’d need a bunch of peanuts

Jeebus
What ? Me Worry ?
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#2760 » by oddity » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:56 am

Frank Lee wrote:
oddity wrote:Year 2 Jalen Smith might just come outta nowhere and surprise some on this board. He could unlock the next level for this team defensively with a great combo of length/athleticism.

If I had an elephant, I’d need a bunch of peanuts

Jeebus

Funny you say that, bc elephants actually don't eat peanuts.
Maybe my posts abt Jalen Smith aren't as obvious as you assume either.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...

Return to Phoenix Suns