ImageImageImage

2021 Playoff and Offseason Speculation - the playoffs. PLAYOFFS????

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will we extend Bridges or will Sarver not pay 4 players big money for 1 or 2 years?

Yes, we extend him or at least match any offer as he is part of core
88%
No, Sarver will want to trade him to save money so little salary coming back, draft pick
13%

Total votes: 24

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,624

Re: 2020 Season Speculation - the season begins, with a lot of new faces 

Post#281 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Barkley6 wrote:I'm gonna say something that might be unpopular:

It's time to bench Jevon Carter. Nothing against the guy, but he's shooting 22% from 3, and can't run an offense. His impact on defense is welcome and beneficial, but his offensive output is so lackluster that it handicaps the bench unit. Give his minutes to Moore or extend Galloway's minutes.

Carter is SUCH a negative on the offensive end, when he handles the ball at all I basically chalk it up as a wasted possession. He averages less than 1 assist per game, and isn't shooting well enough to make up for it.

Whole Wizards team should be shut down for 2 weeks
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#283 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:52 pm

I think CP3 is the bigger issue. He's the biggest cog we've added to the machine and while on a per possession perspective he can be very good, over a quarter he slows things down way too much, he lets teams settle into their defenses before we even get into our sets and quite frankly, he's wasting the advantages of the youth (speed, endurance) in our starting line up. 1st half is when we should be running up the scoreboard, playing with a little bit of abandonment but we really don't do that until that 2nd unit comes in and it's not like that 2nd unit is undisciplined. They run more simplified sets, they move the ball around but they just do things quicker. It's the only reason why they are so much better than our very methodical, robotic starting unit.
alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Post#284 » by alamin330 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:21 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I think CP3 is the bigger issue. He's the biggest cog we've added to the machine and while on a per possession perspective he can be very good, over a quarter he slows things down way too much, he lets teams settle into their defenses before we even get into our sets and quite frankly, he's wasting the advantages of the youth (speed, endurance) in our starting line up. 1st half is when we should be running up the scoreboard, playing with a little bit of abandonment but we really don't do that until that 2nd unit comes in and it's not like that 2nd unit is undisciplined. They run more simplified sets, they move the ball around but they just do things quicker. It's the only reason why they are so much better than our very methodical, robotic starting unit.

I think this plus CP3 passes with bias. He prefers Booker and Bridges with Jae and DA being his last resort. And unfortunately for DA, Monty refuses to play him with any other pg. it’s always DA and CP3 at the same time. CP is poison to DA
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#285 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:23 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I think CP3 is the bigger issue. He's the biggest cog we've added to the machine and while on a per possession perspective he can be very good, over a quarter he slows things down way too much, he lets teams settle into their defenses before we even get into our sets and quite frankly, he's wasting the advantages of the youth (speed, endurance) in our starting line up. 1st half is when we should be running up the scoreboard, playing with a little bit of abandonment but we really don't do that until that 2nd unit comes in and it's not like that 2nd unit is undisciplined. They run more simplified sets, they move the ball around but they just do things quicker. It's the only reason why they are so much better than our very methodical, robotic starting unit.

One positive to look at is that the Thunder last year started 5-10 and 8-12. It wasn't until about game 21 where they really started to get on a roll.

From that point on, they were 36-16.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/2020_games.html
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#286 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:08 am

Why couldn't this have happened BEFORE our game? (game being canceled)

Read on Twitter

Hopefully this tracing results in them all going out and partying last night because they got their first home win...first opportunity to get together at home happy after a win on the season.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#287 » by bigfoot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:Why couldn't this have happened BEFORE our game? (game being canceled)

Read on Twitter

Hopefully this tracing results in them all going out and partying last night because they got their first home win...first opportunity to get together at home happy after a win on the season.

Twelve players got minutes last night for the Wiz and now they can't put together eight players. The Suns are screwed and will have a bunch of players out soon.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#288 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:16 am

bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Why couldn't this have happened BEFORE our game? (game being canceled)

Read on Twitter

Twelve players got minutes last night for the Wiz and now they can't put together eight players. The Suns are screwed and will have a bunch of players out soon.

Well assuming this is done daily, hopefully it has to do with stuff they did last night post game.

But sooner or later it will hit the Suns. It's hit a lot of teams and a number of really good players. The Heat are missing all their best players tonight but I think the Sixers have theirs...some Sixers have missed games earlier too though.

This makes winning games like Det and Wash so much more important. I still can't believe we could shoot THAT poorly and that everyone can be off from 3 in the same game.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#289 » by King4Day » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 am

bwgood77 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

Read on Twitter

Well assuming this is done daily, hopefully it has to do with stuff they did last night post game.

But sooner or later it will hit the Suns. It's hit a lot of teams and a number of really good players. The Heat are missing all their best players tonight but I think the Sixers have theirs...some Sixers have missed games earlier too though.

This makes winning games like Det and Wash so much more important. I still can't believe we could shoot THAT poorly and that everyone can be off from 3 in the same game.

It usually takes 4-5 days of being infected before a covid test will detect it. So, if Wizard players had it, chances are the Suns were all exposed. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't play again for a week
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#290 » by King4Day » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:46 am

I do agree the league needs to shut down for 2 weeks. Let everyone get healthy, and then start over. Otherwise, it's just going to be a trickle effect until the end of the season. There will never be fully healthy players because of this.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#291 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:49 am

King4Day wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

It usually takes 4-5 days of being infected before a covid test will detect it. So, if Wizard players had it, chances are the Suns were all exposed. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't play again for a week

I thought most of these were just contact tracing protocols and not actually positive tests?
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#292 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:12 am

Just going to leave this here:
https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=paulch01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=rubiori01&p2yrfrom=2020

EDIT: Of all of our 2-man lineups, CP3 has 1 positive combo (+0.4 with Cam Johnson), and Deandre has 0. They are also the 2nd most used 2-man combo behind Booker and Bridges...
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2021/lineups/#lineups_2-man_

Last season's 2-man lineups for comparison
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020/lineups/#lineups_2-man_
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,137

Post#293 » by spanishninja » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:33 am

geez, Golden State is all the way back it seems. If we don't figure it out they will easily overtake us
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#294 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 am

MrMiyagi wrote:

Just going to leave this here:
https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=paulch01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=rubiori01&p2yrfrom=2020

EDIT: Of all of our 2-man lineups, CP3 has 1 positive combo (+0.4 with Cam Johnson), and Deandre has 0. They are also the 2nd most used 2-man combo behind Booker and Bridges...
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2021/lineups/#lineups_2-man_

Last season's 2-man lineups for comparison
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020/lineups/#lineups_2-man_

I'll make some excuses for Paul (from the optimist side of me)

1. Rubio had the benefit of having a full training camp and full offseason to get to know the guys and be ready for the season. Our guys and coaching staff also had the opportunity to get to know Rubio. The chemistry was a lot stronger going into last season than this season based purely on the time they had together.

2. CP3 didn't have the training camp, a much shortened offseason and was also coming into a team that had awesome chemistry after the perfect Bubble. So he's coming trying to learn how our guys play on the fly while also trying to do what he knows best and that's run plays.

3. Still early in the season and it's good that we've hit some bumps early in the season as it gives us plenty of time to figure out what the issues are and how we can address them. CP3 teams generally don't start out with a bang but build chemistry over time so when that happens, Ayton will be better, Booker will be better and all the starters will be better. If CP3 can play with Harden, he can play with our guys. It's just a matter of building that chemistry and trust.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,345

Post#295 » by Revived » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 am

Read on Twitter

Out of 877 votes (most of which I assume are Suns fans), 70% are saying they would do this trade.

I’d like a trade for Collins but that Capela contract is pretty awful.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,345

Post#296 » by Revived » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:26 am

Read on Twitter

This is so reckless and irresponsible. I posted before the Wizards game started how there’s been a trend of players on opposing testing positive after they play the Wizards.

Wizards roster, and entire staff should be quarantined for a week or two.

Most of the NBA’s covid cases may be stemming from just this one team giving it to other players.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#297 » by Saberestar » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 am

spanishninja wrote:geez, Golden State is all the way back it seems. If we don't figure it out they will easily overtake us

The got a beautiful L.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,923

Post#298 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 am

False positives are a thing. Either they didn't actually have it the first time, or they don't actually have it a second time, most likely.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#299 » by cberry78 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:43 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:

False positives are a thing. Either they didn't actually have it the first time, or they don't actually have it a second time, most likely.

False negatives are also a thing. With the pattern surrounding/following the Wizards games, it looks like there is an asymptomatic superspreader that's also somehow getting reported as a negative COVID carrier....which is probably scarier to me than anything else I can think of with this virus.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,137

Post#300 » by spanishninja » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:36 pm

Saberestar wrote:
spanishninja wrote:geez, Golden State is all the way back it seems. If we don't figure it out they will easily overtake us

The got a beautiful L.

they missed shots in crunch time, and Pacers do have more talent at this point, but the defensive intensity seemed real to me. Andrew Wiggins got 5 blocks!

Return to Phoenix Suns