ImageImageImage

2021 Playoff and Offseason Speculation - the playoffs. PLAYOFFS????

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will we extend Bridges or will Sarver not pay 4 players big money for 1 or 2 years?

Yes, we extend him or at least match any offer as he is part of core
88%
No, Sarver will want to trade him to save money so little salary coming back, draft pick
13%

Total votes: 24

bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Re: 2021 Season Speculation - the final third of the season underway 

Post#2901 » by bigfoot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:25 pm

SuperSunsFan wrote:i am quitting nba fandom for good, what happened to murray shocked me, it could easily happen to one of our guys, i don't think i can take it, it would destroy my heart so to avoid any possible unbearable heartbreak its better to quit before damage is done.

We survived Danny Manning, Ced Ceballos, Barkley, KJ, Kidd, Joe Johnson, and a host of other injuries during Suns playoff runs. Toughen up buttercup !
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#2902 » by RunDogGun » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:30 pm

bigfoot wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:i am quitting nba fandom for good, what happened to murray shocked me, it could easily happen to one of our guys, i don't think i can take it, it would destroy my heart so to avoid any possible unbearable heartbreak its better to quit before damage is done.

We survived Danny Manning, Ced Ceballos, Barkley, KJ, Kidd, Joe Johnson, and a host of other injuries during Suns playoff runs. Toughen up buttercup !

The Ced injury was really bad for me. I think if we had had him vs the Bulls, it could have put us over the top. The KJ ones sucked, especial when he tried to pick huge guys up or bumped knees while celebrating.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#2903 » by oddity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:Where are all the Suns fans? Feels like a weekend game where the game threads can't even reach 10 pages. Seems recently we've been around 6-12 pages while in first 30-35 games our threads where between 18-25 pages. Lilfishi, Kerssed, JesusHMacy, Qwigglez, saberestar, Keith, dremill, muholl, frank Lee, starbosa you guys have some explaining to do. :evil:

It is kind of weird. JesusHMacy has been around. Saberestar overall has been probably our most active poster (except probably me) over the past few years so I'm surprised not to see him in recent game threads. Seems like starbosa maybe can't watch in real time.

Kerrsed is probably monitoring Boxxy so can only check in intermittently.

lilfishi I think is getting up or just getting to work so can only check in a bit.

Mullholland is back posting in the game threads now that the team is good.

dremill doesn't post much period. A lot of posters I think watch the game instead of post and make a few posts...maybe lurk

Frank Lee around.

It's mainly the guys that disappeared completely...and guys that posted a lot when we were bad. I guess it's one of those yelp things....people only post if they have something to complain about.

Or they just go to twitter more like jredsaz and post with the likes of Andrew Leezus and company (I had to stop following that Andrew guy...got too annoying). I don't check twitter as much.

It is amazing how much people on twitter and fb STILL complain nonstop about Ayton though.

I know people always will regardless but I know most here will quiet down if he is playing extremely solid but he needs to stay consistent every single game or we will here something about his boards or a couple missed catches or something. But he can have great games and still take a lot of heat on other social media.

I think that's part of the reason I have defended him so much because I feel there is undue hate (or I don't like the word hater....it's more like whiner)....I can understand people wanting to hold him accountable here when he does play poorly but I feel other more experienced players and not 22 years old need to be held more accountable regardless if they are more proven overall. They have fewer excuses/reasons, experience to have grown and learned from mistakes.

I think a handful of posters may have left or post less because I do hold Book accountable more and I know there are a lot of Booker homers so it probably turns them off...so sorry for that.

Unfortunately, I started working night shifts so I usually can't catch games when they happen. It is super frustrating not to be able to fully enjoy this miraculous season with the rest of yall, but it is what it is.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#2904 » by Bogyo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:08 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

The Ced injury was really bad for me. I think if we had had him vs the Bulls, it could have put us over the top. The KJ ones sucked, especial when he tried to pick huge guys up or bumped knees while celebrating.

I always fell that this does not get talked about enough. Ppl bring up the Dumas stuff more often than this, but I really believe that we would have won if Ceballos was there for us.
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#2905 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:23 pm

Bogyo wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

I always fell that this does not get talked about enough. Ppl bring up the Dumas stuff more often than this, but I really believe that we would have won if Ceballos was there for us.

I was too young at the time to have a lot of detailed memories of those Barkley-years playoff runs and wasn't watching yet to catch the 70's/80's years, but with that disclaimer out of the way I feel like the injury that most directly affected our title chances was Nash's bloody nose in that '07 Spurs series. More than Amare out in '06, more than Joe Johnson smashing his orbital bone in '05, more than Raja Bell getting hurt in the '06 series against the Mavs. '07 was our year man. The Suns were the best team that year and no one can tell me any differently. A Jazz team with no business being in the WCF and a Cavs team with even less business being in the Finals is all that stood between the winner of that Suns-Spurs series. That series was the Finals that year as far as I'm concerned. It took Donaghy throwing a game to the Spurs and the suspensions (lame, but they should have stayed on the bench) for us to go down in that series. But IIRC it was Game 1 or Game 2 when someone (Bowen?) dropped a 'bow on the bridge of Nash's nose at the end of the game. It's pretty hazy now, but my memory is that we were up or tied and had to watch the lead slowly dwindle away as Aaron Nelson was desperately trying and failing to stop the bleeding so Nash could get back in the game. Talk about despair... The Suns training staff not having some super glue on hand might have been the difference between us and the title... Heartbreak Hotel :cry:
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#2906 » by wheezy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 pm

Jesus_H_Macy wrote:I was too young at the time to have a lot of detailed memories of those Barkley-years playoff runs and wasn't watching yet to catch the 70's/80's years, but with that disclaimer out of the way I feel like the injury that most directly affected our title chances was Nash's bloody nose in that '07 Spurs series. More than Amare out in '06, more than Joe Johnson smashing his orbital bone in '05, more than Raja Bell getting hurt in the '06 series against the Mavs. '07 was our year man. The Suns were the best team that year and no one can tell me any differently. A Jazz team with no business being in the WCF and a Cavs team with even less business being in the Finals is all that stood between the winner of that Suns-Spurs series. That series was the Finals that year as far as I'm concerned. It took Donaghy throwing a game to the Spurs and the suspensions (lame, but they should have stayed on the bench) for us to go down in that series. But IIRC it was Game 1 or Game 2 when someone (Bowen?) dropped a 'bow on the bridge of Nash's nose at the end of the game. It's pretty hazy now, but my memory is that we were up or tied and had to watch the lead slowly dwindle away as Aaron Nelson was desperately trying and failing to stop the bleeding so Nash could get back in the game. Talk about despair... The Suns training staff not having some super glue on hand might have been the difference between us and the title... Heartbreak Hotel :cry:

Not to mention, we were up through 3 quarters the game Diaw and Amare were suspended and then the team ran out of gas because of D'Antoni's short rotations.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Re: 2021 Season Speculation - Tough stretch coming up - new poll 

Post#2907 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:28 pm

Joe Johnson breaking his face might have cost the suns a ring.

My worst basketball injury memory was my other team the Bucks against the Suns when Bogut fell and destroyed his elbow. I knew the minute it happened it was bad and a very promising season was screwed. Bogut was never really the same player after that.

TJ Ford was another one when he hurt his neck. He was a fun player and that basically ended his career.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Cutter
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#2908 » by Cutter » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Joe Johnson breaking his face might have cost the suns a ring.

My worst basketball injury memory was my other team the Bucks against the Suns when Bogut fell and destroyed his elbow. I knew the minute it happened it was bad and a very promising season was screwed. Bogut was never really the same player after that.

TJ Ford was another one when he hurt his neck. He was a fun player and that basically ended his career.

I was watching that game and if I remember correctly it was an Amare foul that caused Bogut to hit the floor so hard and shatter his elbow. I really liked Bogut at the time and you are right, he was never the same after the injury.
Cutter
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#2909 » by Cutter » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:41 pm

Of the 7 games listed in the poll, I am optimistic and predict Suns win 5 of the games.

Going even more optimistic, if Suns win all 7 games, or go 6-1 on the stretch, we should be a big part of the national conversation as primed to win a championship.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#2910 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:51 pm

Cutter wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Joe Johnson breaking his face might have cost the suns a ring.

I was watching that game and if I remember correctly it was an Amare foul that caused Bogut to hit the floor so hard and shatter his elbow. I really liked Bogut at the time and you are right, he was never the same after the injury.
Yeah it was Amare. Some bucks fans thought it was dirty, personally I don't and think it was just a freak accident.

https://youtu.be/-M-g5wZ5js4

You be the judge, there's a slight push but I don't think Amare actually wanted to hurt him.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#2911 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:27 am

Two Suns with MVP votes in a straw man poll

Read on Twitter
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,152

Post#2912 » by starbosa10 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 am

Honestly might be better off staying the 2 seed if the lakers are going to end up 4/5
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#2913 » by King4Day » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:42 am

Cutter wrote:

I remember that Bogut injury.
Amar'e barely touched him if I recall. I was shocked they even called a foul, but knowing the game better now, it was really stupid he made any contact because he was beat and there was nothing Amar'e could do to stop him. I felt so bad for him.
It was the main reason I'll never watch injuries like Paul George or Gordon Hayward.
The only one I've watched since then was Isaiah Canaan. Only because he was a Sun and being one of ours, in some weird way, I didn't want him to suffer that alone. Not that he'd ever know I watched it a couple times.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#2914 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 am

wheezy wrote:Not to mention, we were up through 3 quarters the game Diaw and Amare were suspended and then the team ran out of gas because of D'Antoni's short rotations.

Damn...forgot about that. That was painful. I think of all the gripes one can make about D’Antoni (no focus on D, no adjustments) it was his 7-8 man rotations that were most detrimental. The ‘04-‘05 team had a really weak bench, but we had guys the other years and he just wouldn’t play ‘em. Crazy how he was still the same exact coach in Houston...seemed like he learned nothing from his years coaching in the NBA. No way they take the Dubs to 7 w/o Bzdelik there to make them play D. Too bad Sarver let him be his own boss, maybe an actual GM would’ve made him hire a defensive assistant (Iavaroni doesn’t count).
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#2915 » by suns12345 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:16 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:We are in boys... the nail biters are on their way. Best to just ride out the next month or so then strap in and hang on.

It’s been a decade since we had to deal with the true test of fandom. But isn’t that why we invest in this entertainment? Hang in there Superfan... let’s put it into perspective.... 49 yrs bro, 76 was a doozer, in the mix all through the 80s (but Showtime upstage us) ... the Nash days with all that playoff drama....... emotional beat downs... ha... we fans are just a bit out of playoff shape, but it’s still the best buck on my table in today’s world.

We still will have a puncher’s chance. And that’s worth it. All of it. Bring it on. Anything can happen.

I think the true test of fandom was the last 10 years. Who stuck through it? Us old timers of course, but the people who came in during Barkley, props, but huge props to those who jumped in during SSOL and didn't bail.

Though we did lose some solid posters like kennydorglass and many others I could name with more thought, but a bit early for me and just getting into my coffee.

I came in as a youngster in Nash’s early days. I got my first NBA video game and they were the best team to play with so I decided to follow them.

I’ve been on and off realgm since then but always a suns fan, and always lurking here.

I think that means I’ve had more bad days than good days as a suns fan but I wouldn’t change it. As frank said earlier, the bad makes the good better!
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#2916 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:34 am

Looks like we'll avoid the Lakers in the first 2 rounds.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#2917 » by Barkley6 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Jesus_H_Macy wrote:
wheezy wrote:Not to mention, we were up through 3 quarters the game Diaw and Amare were suspended and then the team ran out of gas because of D'Antoni's short rotations.

Damn...forgot about that. That was painful. I think of all the gripes one can make about D’Antoni (no focus on D, no adjustments) it was his 7-8 man rotations that were most detrimental. The ‘04-‘05 team had a really weak bench, but we had guys the other years and he just wouldn’t play ‘em. Crazy how he was still the same exact coach in Houston...seemed like he learned nothing from his years coaching in the NBA. No way they take the Dubs to 7 w/o Bzdelik there to make them play D. Too bad Sarver let him be his own boss, maybe an actual GM would’ve made him hire a defensive assistant (Iavaroni doesn’t count).

in 04-05 we played 7 guys in the playoffs.
In 05-06 we played 7/8 guys in the playoffs.
In 06-07, we played 8 guys in the playoffs.
In 07-08 we played 9 guys in the playoffs.

It looks like we learned our lesson a little and went slightly deeper every year. The issue with me wasn't D'Antoni the coach, but D'Antoni the GM.

When you look at the guys we COULD have drafted, it should make you sick:
04- Deng or Iguoadala
05 - Keeping Gortat
06 - Rondo

Just drafting and keeping those 3 dudes would have DRAMATICALLY changed our fortunes as a franchise in the last 15 years. I don't know why we preferred Pat Burke, Walter McCarty, Sean Marks, Jumaine Jones and Eric Piatkowski who never contributed a damn thing to our team to those guys.

Then there are the boneheaded FA signings like Banks over Tim Thomas in 2006.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#2918 » by Bogyo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:10 pm

Barkley6 wrote:
Jesus_H_Macy wrote:

It looks like we learned our lesson a little and went slightly deeper every year. The issue with me wasn't D'Antoni the coach, but D'Antoni the GM.

04- Deng or Iguoadala
05 - Keeping Gortat
06 - Rondo

Just drafting and keeping those 3 dudes would have DRAMATICALLY changed our fortunes as a franchise in the last 15 years. I don't know why we preferred Pat Burke, Walter McCarty, Sean Marks, Jumaine Jones and Eric Piatkowski who never contributed a damn thing to our team to those guys.

Fully agreed - and although my memory might be tricking me, some of the above dudes were not completly unplayable, but D'Antoni just didn't even try.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#2919 » by NapoleonII » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:14 pm

Not sure when I came on board, but it was sometime before the 2006 playoffs against the Clippers. That was an epic series. I'd watched a little here and there with a young Amare and JJ and Quintin Richardson, but the drama of 2006, the versatility/frustration of Boris Diaw against the superhuman consistency of Marion and the brilliance of Nash absolutely hooked me as a fan.

I hope we're entering a period of sustained success, I think we are.

And it crazily, crazily almost all depends on DeAndre Ayton.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#2920 » by Barkley6 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Bogyo wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:
Jesus_H_Macy wrote:

04- Deng or Iguoadala
05 - Keeping Gortat
06 - Rondo

Fully agreed - and although my memory might be tricking me, some of the above dudes were not completly unplayable, but D'Antoni just didn't even try.

They were pretty unplayable. Marks barely saw the floor (22 games over two seasons), Piatkowski couldn't guard a chair and was slow, he was cooked BEFORE we signed him. Pat Burke would have had a better career in today's NBA as a stretch 4/5, but he was a liability on defense and couldn't rebound, NO one in the NBA wanted him after us. Jumaine Jones played 18 games for us and never played in the NBA again. McCarty played 28 games with us, and then after one season with the LAC he was out of the league.

These dudes were COOKED. How many of our end of bench guys in those years came here to die? Eric Piatkowski, Pat Burke, Jumaine Jones, Brian Grant, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, and Jalen Rose never got another NBA job after a season or two with us.

Imagine if instead of those guys we had invested in rookies like Rondo, Iggy and Gortat.

Return to Phoenix Suns