ImageImageImage

2021 Playoff and Offseason Speculation - the playoffs. PLAYOFFS????

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will we extend Bridges or will Sarver not pay 4 players big money for 1 or 2 years?

Yes, we extend him or at least match any offer as he is part of core
88%
No, Sarver will want to trade him to save money so little salary coming back, draft pick
13%

Total votes: 24

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Re: 2021 Playoff and Offseason Speculation - the playoffs. PLAYOFFS???? 

Post#4961 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:29 am

cberry78 wrote:Jae Crowder is the new PJ Tucker.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah he kind of us. Crowder is a better shooter but PJ is a better defender, especially against bigs.

Crowder makes fewer mistakes but he is also much more of a streaky chucker. Could win and lose you a game with his shooting
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#4962 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:36 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Crowder needs to be the 7th or 8th man. Shooting is incredibly streaky and his defense has been running off of reputation the past month. He hasn't defended a lick. And it really, really sucks that we spent a lottery pick on a backup center that we said was a PF and he's not even playable against the Marcus Morris or Bobby Portis's of the world when we need him most. We direly need rebounding and have a 7 footer with super athleticism who apparently cannot play even a minute.

I wonder how much Saric could've played in this series.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#4963 » by cberry78 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:38 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

Yeah he kind of us. Crowder is a better shooter but PJ is a better defender, especially against bigs.

Crowder makes fewer mistakes but he is also much more of a streaky chucker. Could win and lose you a game with his shooting

While that is true, I was referencing the undeserved hate Jae gets is not dissimilar to the BS that people spouted about PJ when he was a Sun.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#4964 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 am

cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

While that is true, I was referencing the undeserved hate Jae gets is not dissimilar to the BS that people spouted about PJ when he was a Sun.

I agree with that although I feel less bothered by the hate Jae gets vs PJ. Mostly because I feel like PJ isn't taking better shots away from better shooters whereas Jae is when he's chucking and shot shooting well. PJ knows his strengths on offense and stays planted in that corner and only shoots from there. If PJ misses, at least you know it's from the one place where he shoots it the best so it's a decent shot.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,830

Post#4965 » by Saberestar » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:48 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Yeah he kind of us. Crowder is a better shooter but PJ is a better defender, especially against bigs.

I agree with that although I feel less bothered by the hate Jae gets vs PJ. Mostly because I feel like PJ isn't taking better shots away from better shooters whereas Jae is when he's chucking and shot shooting well. PJ knows his strengths on offense and stays planted in that corner and only shoots from there. If PJ misses, at least you know it's from the one place where he shoots it the best so it's a decent shot.

I love PJ Tucker but he is more limited than Crowder on offense and about the same on defense.

You change teams for Tucker and Crowder and the Bucks would have the ring already in their hands.

Crowder can shot (and score) from 3 with a hand in his face, and not only from the corners. Better passer than Tucker too.

His Regular Season numbers :
6.3 attemps from 3, making 2.5 per game.
39%

His Playoffs numbers:
6.3 attempts from 3, making 2.5 per game.
39%

The guy deserves every penny on his contract. We are lucky to have him.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#4966 » by cberry78 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:57 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Yeah he kind of us. Crowder is a better shooter but PJ is a better defender, especially against bigs.

This mantra that Jae takes shots from other players is just nonsensical BS. He averages something like 1 shot attempt per 4 or 5 minutes of playing time, and by far the majority of those attempts are taken in the flow of the offense. Yes, he is a streaky shooter, but nobody is complaining about his shot selection when his shot is falling, and those that are falling are the exact same shots he takes on the flow of the offense that he misses.

PJ was one of the hardest working players to ever put on a Suns uniform, and he got nothing by **** for it from this forum. Jae is in that same mold, he gives nothing but effort every night (regarding of his shooting) and gets nothing but **** for it.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#4967 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:54 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

The funny thing is I remember reading a Zach Lowe piece about him, maybe when Phx signed him, and Zach said something like "he isn't valuable only for the great defense and huddle, but he will launch 3s and does not hold back, which coaches love..he isn't the best shooter but good enough to where he will alway attract a defender and he will shoot up to 10 a game" or something like that.

I don't exactly know why he seems to get so many more looks than Bridges, for example. I think it is in part because Bridges attracts a closer defender being the better shooter, partly because he is a more willing passer, and partly because he is a better driver and cutter.

It would be nice if Bridges launched like 8 3s a game, and Cam, but then again, people also love to see those guys drive, which they are both good at.

But as good as they both shoot 3s, especially Bridges this year, they need more shots out there.

You would think Cam would get the lion's share of 3 pt attempts when it is mostly the bench, but again, he will attract the most defensive attention when Book or Ayton are not on the floor. Another reason I would play Ayton and Bridges any time Paul is on the floor without Book, when Cam will likely be out there anyway.

Here is how I would start the 2nd quarter, which I've mentioned a lot (and give Book maybe only 2-3 minutes rest if he needs it)...CP3, Payne, Bridges, Cam, Ayton.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#4968 » by BobbieL » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:02 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

The funny thing is I remember reading a Zach Lowe piece about him, maybe when Phx signed him, and Zach said something like "he isn't valuable only for the great defense and huddle, but he will launch 3s and does not hold back, which coaches love..he isn't the best shooter but good enough to where he will alway attract a defender and he will shoot up to 10 a game" or something like that.

I don't exactly know why he seems to get so many more looks than Bridges, for example. I think it is in part because Bridges attracts a closer defender being the better shooter, partly because he is a more willing passer, and partly because he is a better driver and cutter.

It would be nice if Bridges launched like 8 3s a game, and Cam, but then again, people also love to see those guys drive, which they are both good at.

But as good as they both shoot 3s, especially Bridges this year, they need more shots out there.

You would think Cam would get the lion's share of 3 pt attempts when it is mostly the bench, but again, he will attract the most defensive attention when Book or Ayton are not on the floor. Another reason I would play Ayton and Bridges any time Paul is on the floor without Book, when Cam will likely be out there anyway.

Here is how I would start the 2nd quarter, which I've mentioned a lot (and give Book maybe only 2-3 minutes rest if he needs it)...CP3, Payne, Bridges, Cam, Ayton.

Cam not getting more shots in this series has been puzzling. Because he has really been a solid shooter.

Yes, Booker doesn't need his normal 6 minutes. TV timeouts are longer at the end of quarters - he can get his rest
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#4969 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:51 pm

Ignore me if this topic was already discussed (lots of pages in this thread to read through...) but is anyone else mildly concerned about losing Willie Green from the coaching staff next year? I don't have any real sense of which assistants are good or not, besides there must be something about him if he got hired away, but I seemed to get a positive vibe from him. Seemed like he had a HC-level presence on the bench whenever I'd see him and I'm curious whether his absence will have any tangible impact next year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4970 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 pm

Jesus_H_Macy wrote:Ignore me if this topic was already discussed (lots of pages in this thread to read through...) but is anyone else mildly concerned about losing Willie Green from the coaching staff next year? I don't have any real sense of which assistants are good or not, besides there must be something about him if he got hired away, but I seemed to get a positive vibe from him. Seemed like he had a HC-level presence on the bench whenever I'd see him and I'm curious whether his absence will have any tangible impact next year.

Obviously if he is getting hired he is good. But for me, as long as we still have Chris Paul and Mark Bryant, I'm not concerned. It might be good to have a new fresh voice too from someone watching from the outside.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#4971 » by suns12345 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Jesus_H_Macy wrote:Ignore me if this topic was already discussed (lots of pages in this thread to read through...) but is anyone else mildly concerned about losing Willie Green from the coaching staff next year? I don't have any real sense of which assistants are good or not, besides there must be something about him if he got hired away, but I seemed to get a positive vibe from him. Seemed like he had a HC-level presence on the bench whenever I'd see him and I'm curious whether his absence will have any tangible impact next year.

Obviously if he is getting hired he is good. But for me, as long as we still have Chris Paul and Mark Bryant, I'm not concerned. It might be good to have a new fresh voice too from someone watching from the outside.

Im also sure our success, and the demonstrated ability for us to develop a future head coach, will mean we can have our pick of the best assistant coach free agents
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#4972 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

I think it's really as simple as willingness to shoot whatever look you get vs being more conservative like Bridges. Crowder has never seen a shot he doesn't want to shoot and when the ball gets to him, it's either shoot or pass and for him, his value is shooting the rock. Bridges, whether it's a confidence thing or wanting to play within the offense, he'll more likely pass it off but unless he's already gotten a shot or two up and he's already in shoot mode, shooting the ball isn't really at the top of his list.

Ideally with Bridges' length and shooting, he would shoot more 3's but for whatever reason, he prefers to defer than to shoot.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#4973 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:16 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I think it's really as simple as willingness to shoot whatever look you get vs being more conservative like Bridges. Crowder has never seen a shot he doesn't want to shoot and when the ball gets to him, it's either shoot or pass and for him, his value is shooting the rock. Bridges, whether it's a confidence thing or wanting to play within the offense, he'll more likely pass it off but unless he's already gotten a shot or two up and he's already in shoot mode, shooting the ball isn't really at the top of his list.

Ideally with Bridges' length and shooting, he would shoot more 3's but for whatever reason, he prefers to defer than to shoot.
This ^

I've always liked Bridges but I do get a little frustrated with his lack of aggression. He's got a little 'Tony Snell' to his game where he can go long stretches where you forget he's even in the game.

Still current Bridges is a valuable guy to have but if he ever wants to be more than a nice role player hell need to change his mindset.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4974 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:19 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Bridges almost always shoots it if he's open even if a guy is closing out towards him, because he has a high release point. I think it's just easier most of the time for Book or Paul to pass out to the top of the key than the corners so Crowder gets more touches. He also drives a less than Bridges or Cam...I know Paul is going to make it an emphasis to create more 3s, so hopefully those come mostly from Bridges and Cam unless Jae is on fire.

It would be nice to have Payne's shot come back too. He is the guy hurting the bench the most.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#4975 » by RaisingArizona » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:35 am

Good lord, Maria Taylor :banghead:

Return to Phoenix Suns