ImageImageImage

Game 3: Phoenix Suns @ Sacramento Kings l Sunday l 7:00pm l FSNAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who will lead the Suns in fouls tonight?

Ayton
27%
Jones
30%
Booker
9%
Damian
27%
Crowder
No votes
Bridges
6%

Total votes: 33

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,484

Game 3: Phoenix Suns @ Sacramento Kings l Sunday l 7:00pm l FSNAZ 

Post#1 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:48 pm

Who: Phoenix Suns @ Sacramento Kings

When: Sunday, December 27th @ 7:00pm, (9:00pm ET), FSNAZ

Where: Golden 1 Center, Sacramento, CA

Phoenix Suns starting lineup:

C- Ayton
F- Crowder
F- Bridges
G- Booker
G- CP3

Reserves: Cam/Payne/Galloway/Tucker/Smith

Sacramento Kings starting lineup:

C- Holmes
F- Bagley
F- Barnes
G- Hield
G- Fox

Reserves: Haliburton/Joseph/Bjelica/Whiteside/

Good luck charm!!!

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Game 2: Phoenix Suns (1-0) @ Sacramento Kings (1-0) l Saturday l 8:00pm l FSAZ 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:52 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Revived wrote:
nevetsov wrote:
Or the system.

So basically everything but the player himself lol.

Yes, even with Ayton not being what people expected if he doesn't score 20ppg this season there is something wrong with the coaching/system (Booker being a big part of the system). He should cruise to 20ppg without being the most motivated person out there only based on skills and being assisted by Paul. He's been aggressive so far though. It's the 25+ppg, that will require much effort out of him.

In addition, finding the right approach to the players (bench them if required) and putting them in position to succeed is also part of coaching.

But as I said in the post preceding this reply, Monty preaches the .5 offense. If we played a quick offense, running it, and Ayton getting it quickly before the defense sets, with at most 1 defender on his, he will be MUCH more effective, like Amare was in the SSOL system...D'Antoni's system was to shoot or score inside before the defense set or had proper transition defense.

Booker and Paul dribble long enough to allow the defense to put a double team on Ayton and by the time he gets the ball he's have to post up against 2 defenders which is not a good shot compared to passing (which he is good at) to a 3 pt shooter. It feels ridiculous but it's not a bad decision in that circumstance...the bad decision is the guards waiting until he is doubled to get it to him.

Most centers may get doubled but effective teammates will get him the ball sooner and the secondary defender will then try to get there but it will be too late.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Game 2: Phoenix Suns (1-0) @ Sacramento Kings (1-0) l Saturday l 8:00pm l FSAZ 

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Maze wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:Have we ever considered the possibility that maybe Ayton isn't this athletic monster we thought he was? he is agile and quick for a big man but he doesn't seem explosive at all and he has slow acceleration time, like his pick and roll with Paul is slow as hell, he has very slow reaction time, takes a long time to start rolling to the basket. Gortat is 10 times better than him at pick and roll.

I've been saying Ayton's athleticism is overstated.I think people were fooled by his combine numbers.I've yet to see of those numbers translate to the basketball court during games.He's closer to Patrick Ewing/Al Jefferson level athleticism.Opposed to guys like David Robinson/Amare/Kemp or even Deandre Jordan.Hell, I don't even think he's Andre Drummond's level, in game.I believe he posted a vertical over 40 inches at the combine.I don't see it.He may end up being a very poor man's Patrick Ewing.

Right now you could argue it is but it mainly looks that way due to his poor conditioning. His athleticism is great. I've seen it plenty in early play. It's hard to show it when the team never runs...if they did you'd see it but when we play 90s style offense, you can't show athleticism often but have to show skill down there like Hakeem, Duncan, Ewing. Malone, Amare and Robinson ran mor so they could shot it more....but also, people remember Malone and Robinson more in their primes..Amare was the main one instantly athletic but he also got to play in the SSOL offense where it's easy to display.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Game 2: Phoenix Suns (1-0) @ Sacramento Kings (1-0) l Saturday l 8:00pm l FSAZ 

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Bogyo wrote:
Ryu wrote:
Bogyo wrote:Wow, are we really giving fluff jobs to the kings in the last 2 pages? I mean I get it, we have been traumatized in the last 10 years or so, but this is getting awkward a bit even for me, and I was not enamored with a lot of JJ's moves the past 2 years to say the least...

And I get it that the Kings can beat us if everything falls that way, but c'mon...

After I saw this comment yesterday I was sure we were losing this game. What a master of a jinx. SMH.

Bolded part right up there. These posts were not really about this one game, but about being pissed of how some have a lot of totally unrealistic views and expectations even here about the Suns, good or bad. It was downright comical in the first two pages. And I do not effing care if the Kings beat us the next 10 times we meet. They do not deserve that kind of praise, and we are a better team than them. Even CP said after the game: we expect to win these games. So I guess he'd agree with me if he was online here. Or he wouldn't have problems with comprehensive reading, like many here seem to have.

If someone does the exact opposite in the thread when we are playing the Lakers, I'll be equally pissed.

As for the game - it was one of those... 11/44 3PTs, 13FTA to their 33, Ayton's 5 FGA, bench terrible shooting, Monty playing that idiot instead of the rookie or Frank, et-effing-c... As bolded above - everything fell that way.

We have more talent on paper. But we are still gelling while the Kings have continuity and have been better for the last 2 years until the bubble.

I am not sure why you think the Kings are awful. They have a great young back court. Holmes was a stud last year. Bagley playing better and was nearly the level of prospect as Ayton. Barnes looking REALLY good out there. And they have a couple nice vets off the bench in Joseph and Whiteside...also Bjelica.

Theoretically all of our starters should be better, but we are still getting to know each other, shot poorly and Booker's excessive turnovers continue. The Kings also got to the line 20 more times and outrebounded us 16, partly because of Ayton's foul trouble.

But bad shooting nights will happen which is why you can't necessarily count on for sure wins against many teams...any really, but especially a team that was a little better than us the last 5 seasons and has continuity.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:03 pm

bhawk wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:His body language is enough from me, doesn’t care.. never has, never will!! He will have a string of good games here and there but that’s pretty much it. Can’t see him being a consistent player in the NBA with the way he plays (lazy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Christian Wood is a good example of a big man developing later. That gives me hope.

How much better would we be right now with Wood?

A lot better than with Crowder. And he fits our timeline better...would be nice PF option or backup C for future....Ayton, him and Stix would be a nice big rotation especially with Saric also in there. Plenty of big depth with 3 guys who can play 4 or 5.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Re: Game 3: Phoenix Suns @ Sacramento Kings l Sunday l 7:00pm l FSNAZ 

Post#6 » by wheezy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Did we waive Jones yet?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:06 pm

Stark wrote:Blame is on Book as much as Ayton. He is insanely careless with the ball and a defensive liability. When Paul is playing really good against a mediocre team we should generally get the W.

I just don't think these guys like playing basketball together. There might be some sort of tension because of expectations this year too. I hope it doesn't turn into a locker room drama at one point.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using RealGM mobile app

For sure. Ayton makes far fewer mistakes and plays far better defense...and also sticks to their offense...he makes quick decisions. Booker shouldn't be getting a pass for the turnovers, defense and taking us out of our offense...this is partly why we miss 3s because players stand around watching him too much.

Not sure why he gets a pass when he is our max player and face of the franchise and has never gotten anywhere. I understand not having teammates but part of the non development of guys is not getting them involved enough (not that I think Bender or Chriss could have made it) but Jackson possibly could have.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Rotation wise tomorrow I'd bring in:

Moore for Carter
Smith for Jones

Yeah, I'd still play Carter and Galloway but if either struggles, put in Moore, but also Book and Paul should player fewer minutes giving more time for all. Moore should be fresh, and let him play with Payne so he doesn't have to play PG. I know a couple of ridiculous people have mentioned cutting him after preseason which is odd considering he is a solid vet who shot over 42% from 3 in 3 of his last 5 seasons and can also get inside with a nice floater...far better from 2 than Carter or Galloway too and the better 3 pt shooter over the last 5 years....with a lot more games starting.

He may start slow due to not playing but if he starts getting playing time...leaving him in for a string of minutes at SG next to Payne I think he could be a key bench guy.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#9 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:12 pm

Read on Twitter
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#10 » by NapoleonII » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:32 pm

I knew Saric was valuable, especially when they started using him right in the Bubble, but damn.

We're playing a rookie nicknamed Stix and a walking foul as our backup bigs? While Deandre is getting called for everything and out of shape?

I never thought I'd say this, but play Kaminsky.
wheezy
Rookie

Post#11 » by wheezy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:45 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:Has that ever happened before playing same team back to back nights on their home floor?

League is just trying to cut down on travel this season w/ covid. Mavs also doing a back to back set in LA this weekend.

Doubt they keep doing it when fans are allowed in the stands though.
wheezy
Rookie

Post#12 » by wheezy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:48 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:
vtime wrote:He took 5 shots. It’s kind of in Paul to make sure a talent like that gets touches. And Monty Williams. If he keeps having games like that then the bubble vibes are gone and you just have an expensive backcourt with multi year extensions coming for Ayton and Bridges in 18 months.

I wouldn't call Ayton an offensive talent. And I think the team is actually looking for him. He's just not good at putting himself in the right spots. And if he's not at the right spot his offensive ability is not good enough to generate something on it's own.

They were trying to force feed him the ball early on, and that's when the kings started doubling him/going into a zone and we just weren't capitalizing on it. He kind of played like garbage but if our 3's are falling its a different game (obv).
wheezy
Rookie

Post#13 » by wheezy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:53 pm

irish22022 wrote:I think Smith is a better pick and roll option than Jones off the bench. Jones makes a lot of bonehead mistakes out there. He's fine, but I suspect he'll play himself out of a job in a month or so. Which is fine for smith, good for him to grind for minutes.

Ayton clearly the biggest disappointment so far. I seem to be the only person not surprised he took 5 shots. I wouldn't pass to that guy either. CP3 gave him a few free dunks in a row that he messed up. I'm not sure what his role will be, but it def won't be one that warrants a big contract next off-season.

Worst part about Jones is how he plays the PnR... dude just sets a weak screen then slides along with the ballhandler mucking up the paint. Doesn't help he has awful hands, but the way he moves after setting the pick just lets his man put extra pressure on the play. Any time he was in last night our offense cratered.
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#14 » by Adrao » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:55 pm

I want Stix to play 15-20 minutes today.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,043

Post#15 » by sunsbg » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:12 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
But as I said in the post preceding this reply, Monty preaches the .5 offense. If we played a quick offense, running it, and Ayton getting it quickly before the defense sets, with at most 1 defender on his, he will be MUCH more effective, like Amare was in the SSOL system...D'Antoni's system was to shoot or score inside before the defense set or had proper transition defense.

Booker and Paul dribble long enough to allow the defense to put a double team on Ayton and by the time he gets the ball he's have to post up against 2 defenders which is not a good shot compared to passing (which he is good at) to a 3 pt shooter. It feels ridiculous but it's not a bad decision in that circumstance...the bad decision is the guards waiting until he is doubled to get it to him.

Most centers may get doubled but effective teammates will get him the ball sooner and the secondary defender will then try to get there but it will be too late.

I expected the days of 0.5 offense are over with 35yo CP3 on-board and it looks so thus far. Ayton should be fine in this offense though as long as he's involved. PnR is not a rocket science, but it's different doing it with someone like CP3 or Doncic vs Booker, who uses Ayton as a shield and rarely passes to him on those. It's odd Crowder was able to feed him in the post while all other teammates from previous seasons were not. Only 5 shots, but 5 FTA and a few plays he drew fouls in the post without going to the line. Nice passes out of double teams and to cutting CP3. Good mid-range shooter, who showed some potential from 3 in the bubble. The guy has skills and I'm optimistic after reading the comments above about CP3 admitting he should feed him the ball more. Ayton should look more to get his own, but I'm getting the feeling I'm reading a martial arts board with some takes here.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#16 » by ducler » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#17 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Bridges needs to play more minutes tonight. I don't know why Monty only played him 26 minutes yesterday.
charley barkles
Senior
And1: 213

Post#18 » by charley barkles » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Saberestar wrote:Bridges needs to play more minutes tonight. I don't know why Monty only played him 26 minutes yesterday.

He got into foul trouble early, so his first half minutes were down.
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#19 » by Golanator » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:02 pm

Adrao wrote:I want Stix to play 15-20 minutes today.

Whatever minutes Stix plays need to be at center. If he’s playing the 4 the offense dies
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#20 » by bhawk » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:17 pm

Jalen is Questionable

Jalen Smith (sprained left ankle) is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Kings.

Smith sprained his ankle during Saturday's loss, playing just four minutes as a result. With this being the second game of a back-to-back, it would not be a surprise if the Suns decided to keep the rookie on the bench. Smith doesn't offer much in the way of fantasy value when healthy, so feel free to leave him on the waiver wire for the time being.

https://www.rotoworld.com/basketball/nba/player-news#page=2

Return to Phoenix Suns