ImageImageImage

Game 4: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns l Tue l 8:00pm l TNT

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who are your three favorite Suns players?

Ayton
8%
Crowder
1%
Bridges
31%
Booker
22%
CP3
7%
Cam
20%
Saric
5%
Kaminsky
1%
Payne
3%
Carter
2%

Total votes: 153

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,430

Re: Game 4: New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns l Tue l 8:00pm l TNT 

Post#401 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:48 am

NTB wrote:
Read on Twitter

We finally have smart IQ players on our team. Unlike other years with 3-4 low iq players which hurt our progression moving forward. Besides Jones and a bit of Kaminsky here and there, every player seems to know their role and what to bring to the table. And having a great coach who knows who to insert into the game is beneficial to our success. No more Isiah Canaans, Josh Jackson's (even though he playing good now), Bender's, Chrisses, Ulis's, Okobo's, Melton's, aging Crawford, Ennis's I may be missing more players but I've listed enough of the bad/low iq players who were stuck here quite some time. We finally have an amazing squad to lead us to our first playoff birth since 2010.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,430

Post#402 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:57 am

Next game thread made
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#403 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:54 am

We'd have 8 players averaging 10+ points if Payne made one more shot.
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#404 » by Adrao » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 am

Mr Puddles wrote:Let's show some appreciation as well for Booker taking a step back this game. It shows humility to recognize that the rest of the team is getting the job done and that the Suns don't need him to force shots tonight.

Booker is the kind of player who can get his shot off against anyone, the fact that he's only taken (and made) one field goal attempt really shows he's buying into the team concept.
This is important and great. Booker 8 points, +/- +24.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#405 » by Bogyo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 am

First and foremost: really fun game to watch as a suns fan! Finally! :)

Love-love the bench, I think I was one of the first to point out how deep we are, even before the season. Nice work there by JJ (although I'm not the biggest fan of his tbh).

Cam-Cam-Mikal trio is a thing of beauty - that is how you practice, get better in the off-season (or the break before the bubble), how you move forward in your career,really earn your next bag. Lessons there for DA for sure, maybe even for Book.

Defense was really good - but let's not get carried away, their 3pt% was a fluke, much like ours was in the first Kings game.

Next 4 game strech could show us who we really are.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,033

Post#406 » by sunsbg » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:11 am

Payne defending Zion in the post and throwing several good assists was not expected. Neither a 40pts lead with Booker scoring only 8. Fun game.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#407 » by Bogyo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:53 am

sunsbg wrote:Payne defending Zion in the post and throwing several good assists was not expected. Neither a 40pts lead with Booker scoring only 8. Fun game.

That D was nuts on 2 accounts. 1: perfect D. 2: Zion should still have scored easy, considering the height/weight difference when he got the ball finally. I'm sure it won't happen often in the future.

Cam-Cam for president!
(It don't matter which one :D )
jsierra1985
Senior
And1: 963

Post#408 » by jsierra1985 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:17 pm

booker/paul combined for i think 7 points going into the half......

we were up by like 20 or 22....

yes the suns are back
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,811

Post#409 » by Saberestar » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:42 pm

What a great game to watch as a Suns fan! Some thoughts:

CP3 has changed the ceiling of this team, it is much higher now. You can feel his presence on the court and his positive impact on every play.

Crowder has shown in four games that he probably is the perfect PF for us. Big upgrade at that spot. He keeps the ball moving and spaces the floor. Defensively he can defend anyone. For real...anyone.

Bridges and Cam Johnson can't stop improving. Oh my... Bridges defense on Ingram was a joy to watch.

Nice game from Ayton. He did not dominate or anything like that but he did his job and some more. Happy with his production in this game.

Cam Payne is our full time backup PG and I am proud of him. He has improved his game a lot since his early days as a pro and he plays with high intensity every minute on the court. We are set at that position.

Saric is so good...first game coming back and he already played an important role. He is gonna be huge for us.

And happy to see Book scoring less than 10 points AND winning big, he knows that he has serious help now.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#410 » by NTB » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:50 pm

I don't know how Cam Payne is successful with that shooting form but I am happy!
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
jsierra1985
Senior
And1: 963

Post#411 » by jsierra1985 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:08 pm

still cant believe some fans didnt want cp3.....

this is what the suns needed in the worst way
Hesh
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#412 » by Hesh » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:24 pm

NTB wrote:I don't know how Cam Payne is successful with that shooting form but I am happy!

he's literally facing perpendicular to the ring as he shoots it and his feet are set so wide apart. You could draw a straight line from the ring and it will probably intersect with both his shoulders.

Anyway, is it safe to say we'll be set with Payne and Carter as our backups? Payne has been amazing, and I'm not worried about Carter (he'll bounce back soon, dude takes no days off)
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#413 » by nevetsov » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Bledsoe:
"I don't wanna leave here... please?"
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#414 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:11 pm

sunsbg wrote:Payne defending Zion in the post and throwing several good assists was not expected. Neither a 40pts lead with Booker scoring only 8. Fun game.

I was glad I'm not a Pels fan when I saw that possession. That would have driven me nuts. And Zion getting bodied out of bounds every time he drove? What a softie! Painful to watch.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#415 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Adrao wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:Let's show some appreciation as well for Booker taking a step back this game. It shows humility to recognize that the rest of the team is getting the job done and that the Suns don't need him to force shots tonight.

Booker is the kind of player who can get his shot off against anyone, the fact that he's only taken (and made) one field goal attempt really shows he's buying into the team concept.

I was happy to see him taking a few of those really long threes this game, even if they clanked. He passes up so many open perimeter shots: it drives me nuts. He's constantly faking to take an open three and then driving into traffic and turning it over. Glad he pushed the pause button on those wild drives and passes last night.

Booker's amazing, don't get me wrong. But amazing Book is interspersed with long periods of deleterious play. If he can turn those games into games where he's basically a ghost (like last night) we'll be much better for it. If Chris Paul's doing anything for us, it's getting our guys to be accountable - Ayton, yes, but Book more than anyone. I can't imagine he wasn't all over Book for those typical crazy turnover numbers those first few games. Can't blame the rest of the team anymore, not with Chris Paul pointing that finger his way.

P.S. One thing I love about Book is that I know he could read these things and not be a prima donna punk about it. For all my criticisms, the dude has a good head on his shoulders, maintains perspective, and really seems like a genuinely good guy.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,414

Post#416 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Adrao wrote:

Yes, team ball! Ultimately I don't think he will be able to stand taking that few shots, and he doesn't have to, but maybe between 10 and 15 is about right, unless it results in single coverage, then he can look to score a little more, to keep the gravity coming his way, but ultimately, if everyone else shows you cannot leave them open, they can't double him much,, and he will become a lot more efficient...hopefully even from 3..but that also would require fewer pull ups, especially the really long ones early in the shot clock.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#417 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:38 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Adrao wrote:

Yes, team ball! Ultimately I don't think he will be able to stand taking that few shots, and he doesn't have to, but maybe between 10 and 15 is about right, unless it results in single coverage, then he can look to score a little more, to keep the gravity coming his way, but ultimately, if everyone else shows you cannot leave them open, they can't double him much,, and he will become a lot more efficient...hopefully even from 3..but that also would require fewer pull ups, especially the really long ones early in the shot clock.
Yeah teams are still overloading on Booker and daring the other suns to beat them. But that will change soon it Bridges, Cam, and Crowder keep raining open 3s on them. As you mentioned once that switch is made Booker should have some good looks.

Crazy stat last night was the first game since his rookie year that Booker played and scored less than 10 points and the suns won.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#418 » by cberry78 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:19 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Adrao wrote:

I was happy to see him taking a few of those really long threes this game, even if they clanked. He passes up so many open perimeter shots: it drives me nuts. He's constantly faking to take an open three and then driving into traffic and turning it over. Glad he pushed the pause button on those wild drives and passes last night.

Booker's amazing, don't get me wrong. But amazing Book is interspersed with long periods of deleterious play. If he can turn those games into games where he's basically a ghost (like last night) we'll be much better for it. If Chris Paul's doing anything for us, it's getting our guys to be accountable - Ayton, yes, but Book more than anyone. I can't imagine he wasn't all over Book for those typical crazy turnover numbers those first few games. Can't blame the rest of the team anymore, not with Chris Paul pointing that finger his way.

P.S. One thing I love about Book is that I know he could read these things and not be a prima donna punk about it. For all my criticisms, the dude has a good head on his shoulders, maintains perspective, and really seems like a genuinely good guy.

I think the important part about those long three's from Booker was that they were a reminder to the Pels that he was still on the floor. Even though he missed them, the Pels started focusing again on him defensively after not doubling him the last couple of times down the floor. Just that gravity of Booker being on the floor, even if he's missing his shots, opens up the floor for the rest of the team.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,414

Post#419 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:46 pm

cberry78 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Adrao wrote:This is important and great. Booker 8 points, +/- +24.

I think the important part about those long three's from Booker was that they were a reminder to the Pels that he was still on the floor. Even though he missed them, the Pels started focusing again on him defensively after not doubling him the last couple of times down the floor. Just that gravity of Booker being on the floor, even if he's missing his shots, opens up the floor for the rest of the team.

I think they are probably ok with shots like that unless they start going in. He's shooting 30% from 3 for the year and has always been worse with pull ups than catch and shoots.

Where he does his damage is in the short and mid range.

Return to Phoenix Suns