Updated predictions of standings at year end

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 1:50 pm

What do you have? Should be interesting as stacked and close as the west is with some expected playoff teams currently out and unexpected ones currently in.

You can do EC too...seems a little more clear cut, at least for the top 5.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Re: Updated predictions of standings at year end 

Post#2 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 4, 2021 4:49 pm

West
1. Lakers
2. Clippers
3. Nuggets
4. Blazers
5. Suns
6. Jazz
7. Pelicans
8. Mavs
9. Spurs
10. Grizzlies
11. Kings
12. Warriors
13. Rockets
14. Thunder
15. Wolves

East
1. Bucks
2. Nets
3. Sixers
4. Raptors
5. Celtics
6. Miami
7. Pacers
8. Hawks
9. Wizards
10. Knicks
11. Magic
12. Hornets
13. Cavs
14. Pistons
15. Bulls
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,429

Post#3 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu Feb 4, 2021 8:07 pm

West
1. Clippers
2. Jazz
3. Lakers
4. Nuggets
5. Grizzlies
6. Suns
7. Blazers
8. Mavs
9. Spurs
10. Pels
11. Warriors
12. Kings
13. Rockets
14. Thunder
15. Wolves

East
1. 76ers
2. Bucks
3. Celtics
4. Nets
5. Pacers
6. Heat
7. Raptors
8. Hawks
9. Hornets
10. Cavs
11. Magic
12. Knicks
13. Bulls
14. Pistons
15. Wizards
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,923

Post#4 » by grumpysaddle » Fri Feb 5, 2021 1:56 am

West
1. Suns
2. Suns
3. Suns
4. Suns
5. Suns
6. Suns
7. Suns
8. Suns
9. Suns
10. Suns
11. Suns
12. Suns
13. Suns
14. Suns
15. Sans

East
1. Suns
2. Suns
3. Suns
4. Suns
5. Suns
6. Suns
7. Suns
8. Suns
9. Suns
10. Suns
11. Suns
12. Suns
13. Suns
14. Suns
15. Suns
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 3:47 am

This is really tough

Lakers
Clippers
Jazz
Nuggets
Suns
Blazers

These last 3-4 are tough for the last 2 spots...I rank their chances as follows, but if the Rockets keep having one of those 3 miss, they miss...otherwise I think they can grab the 7 seed...if not they could fall down beneath this group. It feels like Mavs will squeeze into 8/9, and if they do, I think they win against whoever they play, though the Mavs vs Warriors would be fun (unlike tonight) because I think Luka and Curry would have a monster game for the play in. I shouldn't count out the Grizzlies because when healthy, they are good, and they are already tied with us and have missed JJJ and Winslow all season and Ja for awhile.

I guess when push comes to shove, Houston seems the most shaky since guys keep missing, even though they are tough when their top 3 guys are healthy, but Memphis, Dallas and GS seem like they could finish in 7-8-9 in some order. I will be surprised if they finish 13th like the others predicted unless they get hit with major injury or their guys miss a lot of games.

Rockets (if all of Wall, Dipo and Wood can remain healthy)
Mavs - I feel like Luka will finally will them into the playoffs
Warriors - the same can be said about Curry
Grizzlies - They continue to play tough, so maybe
Spurs - I really don't want to put them in this group, but I can't deny they are playing well.

Pelicans
Kings
Wolves
Thunder

For the Wolves it depends on Towns.

I will say I am really impressed with the Thunder coach. Those guys play hard despite a lack of talent and are only 2 games behind us.

I am not usually super optimistic about us after the last decade, but I think we right the ship and get better as Paul continues to get more comfortable and Book gets more comfortable playing with him, but mainly when Payne and Saric return. The bench was our big weapon early and in the bubble.

Will add east in a bit.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#6 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:43 am

grumpysaddle wrote:West
1. Suns
2. Suns
3. Suns
4. Suns
5. Suns
6. Suns
7. Suns
8. Suns
9. Suns
10. Suns
11. Suns
12. Suns
13. Suns
14. Suns
15. Sans

East
1. Suns
2. Suns
3. Suns
4. Suns
5. Suns
6. Suns
7. Suns
8. Suns
9. Suns
10. Suns
11. Suns
12. Suns
13. Suns
14. Suns
15. Suns

That's not physically possible. Will you shut up for once???

Spoiler:
Actually you have a valid point. Like KG said " anything is possibleeeeeeeeeeeee"
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#7 » by Jdiddy701 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:44 am

Suns could be tied for the 4th seed in the West with a win tomorrow. Imagine finishing 4th and having home court advantage in the first round. That’s a successful season. Suns have to learn how to beat the easy teams and it starts tomorrow vs the Pistons.

I think they finish 6th seed by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,923

Post#8 » by grumpysaddle » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:49 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:
1. Suns
2. Suns
3. Suns
4. Suns
5. Suns
6. Suns
7. Suns
8. Suns
9. Suns
10. Suns
11. Suns
12. Suns
13. Suns
14. Suns
15. Sans

East
1. Suns
2. Suns
3. Suns
4. Suns
5. Suns
6. Suns
7. Suns
8. Suns
9. Suns
10. Suns
11. Suns
12. Suns
13. Suns
14. Suns
15. Suns

Spoiler:
Actually you have a valid point. Like KG said " anything is possibleeeeeeeeeeeee"

Just hedging my bets, man!

SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#9 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:52 am

bwgood77 wrote:This is really tough

Lakers
Clippers
Jazz
Nuggets
Suns
Blazers

These last 3-4 are tough for the last 2 spots...I rank their chances as follows, but if the Rockets keep having one of those 3 miss, they miss...otherwise I think they can grab the 7 seed...if not they could fall down beneath this group. It feels like Mavs will squeeze into 8/9, and if they do, I think they win against whoever they play, though the Mavs vs Warriors would be fun (unlike tonight) because I think Luka and Curry would have a monster game for the play in. I shouldn't count out the Grizzlies because when healthy, they are good, and they are already tied with us and have missed JJJ and Winslow all season and Ja for awhile.

I guess when push comes to shove, Houston seems the most shaky since guys keep missing, even though they are tough when their top 3 guys are healthy, but Memphis, Dallas and GS seem like they could finish in 7-8-9 in some order. I will be surprised if they finish 13th like the others predicted unless they get hit with major injury or their guys miss a lot of games.

Spurs - I really don't want to put them in this group, but I can't deny they are playing well.

Pelicans
Kings
Wolves
Thunder

I will say I am really impressed with the Thunder coach. Those guys play hard despite a lack of talent and are only 2 games behind us.

I am not usually super optimistic about us after the last decade, but I think we right the ship and get better as Paul continues to get more comfortable and Book gets more comfortable playing with him, but mainly when Payne and Saric return. The bench was our big weapon early and in the bubble.

Will add east in a bit.

I've watched more than a few games of Utah and they look well polished kinda reminding me of Suns team in 05. Obviously playing styles may differ but could see them finish 1st or 2nd seed ahead of clips/lakers. They'll be a strong regulatory season team but not good enough to reach the finals possible a WCF ceiling.

Even though Rockets playing great I still see them missing the playoffs. They're definitely playing hard and trying to prove a point but too many new pieces and not enough team chemistry to get in.

Mavs are looking atrocious and may even get in as 7th/8th and possible lose a play in game which would be funny if that happens. They are a wreck at the moment but have a ton or time to make it interesting.

As for the Grizzlies I really like their team and have them as 5th seed maybe I am way off but we will see.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#10 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:53 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
1. Suns
2. Suns
3. Suns
4. Suns
5. Suns
6. Suns
7. Suns
8. Suns
9. Suns
10. Suns
11. Suns
12. Suns
13. Suns
14. Suns
15. Sans

East
1. Suns
2. Suns
3. Suns
4. Suns
5. Suns
6. Suns
7. Suns
8. Suns
9. Suns
10. Suns
11. Suns
12. Suns
13. Suns
14. Suns
15. Suns

Spoiler:

Just hedging my bets, man

You a gangsta man you a gangsta!!!
SunsRback4Good
RealGM

Post#11 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:58 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:Suns could be tied for the 4th seed in the West with a win tomorrow. Imagine finishing 4th and having home court advantage in the first round. That’s a successful season. Suns have to learn how to beat the easy teams and it starts tomorrow vs the Pistons.

Likewise! Everyone assumed with our 5-1 start beating (Jazz, Mavs, Nuggets) that it'll continue and we finish top 4. But our fans overestimated the team and 5th-7th is most likely scenario. Also, it hurts losing to Pels by 20+ but tonight the friggin Blazers beat the 76ers by double figures without Lillard & McCollum playing. In NBA anything can happen.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:53 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:Suns could be tied for the 4th seed in the West with a win tomorrow. Imagine finishing 4th and having home court advantage in the first round. That’s a successful season. Suns have to learn how to beat the easy teams and it starts tomorrow vs the Pistons.

Currrently if we were tied with Denver we would lose the tiebreaker though.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:55 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:This is really tough

Lakers
Clippers
Jazz
Nuggets
Suns
Blazers

Pelicans
Kings
Wolves
Thunder

Will add east in a bit.

I've watched more than a few games of Utah and they look well polished kinda reminding me of Suns team in 05. Obviously playing styles may differ but could see them finish 1st or 2nd seed ahead of clips/lakers. They'll be a strong regulatory season team but not good enough to reach the finals possible a WCF ceiling.

Even though Rockets playing great I still see them missing the playoffs. They're definitely playing hard and trying to prove a point but too many new pieces and not enough team chemistry to get in.

Mavs are looking atrocious and may even get in as 7th/8th and possible lose a play in game which would be funny if that happens. They are a wreck at the moment but have a ton or time to make it interesting.

As for the Grizzlies I really like their team and have them as 5th seed maybe I am way off but we will see.

The Rockets chemisty is great when their big 3 all play...and that's two ex all stars (both all stars last time fully healthy which they seem to be) and Wood playing like an all star.

That's 3 all stars with great role players in Tucker and Gordon.

I certainly wouldn't count them out.

I agree if Utah continues to play like this they could get the 1 seed, especially with the Clips resting players and dealing with COVID, and if the Lakers rest players, but they don't seem to as often.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#14 » by Frank Lee » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:18 pm

What match up, other than the obvious, would you not want to see.

Big teams long athletic teams are going to give us problems...as we have seen..... but we can plod with the best of them
What ? Me Worry ?
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#15 » by Adrao » Sat Feb 6, 2021 9:01 am

West
1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Jazz
4. Nuggets
5. Blazers
6. Suns
7. Spurs
8. Rockets
9. Warriors
10. Grizzlies
11. Mavs
12. Pels
13. Kings
14. Thunder
15. Wolves

East
1. 76ers
2. Nets
3. Celtics
4. Bucks
5. Pacers
6. Hawks
7. Raptors
8. Heat
9. Knicks
10. Hornets
11. Cavs
12. Magic
13. Bulls
14. Pistons
15. Wizards
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#16 » by King4Day » Sat Feb 6, 2021 7:04 pm

West
1. Lakers
2. Clippers
3. Jazz
4. Nuggets
5. Blazers
6. Suns
7. Warriors
8. Mavs
9. Spurs
10. Rockets
11. Grizzlies
12. Pels
13. Kings
14. Thunder
15. Wolves
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#17 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Feb 6, 2021 8:41 pm

1. Lakers
2. Clippers
3. Utah
4. Denver
5. Portland
6. Phoenix
7. Dallas
8. GSW
9. New Orleans
10. Houston

1. Milwaukee
2. Brooklyn
3. Philadelphia
4. Boston
5. Toronto
6. Indiana
7. Miami
8. Atlanta
9. Orlando
10. New York
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#18 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 9:26 pm

Frank Lee wrote:What match up, other than the obvious, would you not want to see.

Big teams long athletic teams are going to give us problems...as we have seen..... but we can plod with the best of them

Lakers and Clippers wouldn't have too many problems with us if healthy unless we were completely healthy and on fire from 3 every game, but that is doubtful given their defense and the Clippers length on closing out.

This current Jazz team is not usually as tough in the playoffs, but they blew a 3-1 lead to Denver last year and have improved. Gobert sometimes if teams go small has trouble staying on the floor, but against us he might not.

Denver might be our best matchup of the projected top 4, and Ayton plays well against Jokic...not sure about playoff Jokic though. He also seemed to play pretty well against Gobert, or at least not be intimidated, but he'd probably struggle on offense against them.

Nuggets are our best matchup out of those. No one else really scares me. Portland can be scary because Lillard is SO clutch in the playoffs, even on very long 3s..and they are hanging well as Nurkic is out. Also Covington could make it tough for someone...they might put him on Booker since we are small. That would require a 4/5 matchup unless we both advanced which is unlikely barring injuries to top teams though.

Return to Phoenix Suns