ImageImageImage

Game 39: Minnesota Timberwolves (9-31) @ Phoenix Suns (26-12) l Thursday l 7:00pm l FSAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Best 5 man unit in crunch time

Booker
17%
Saric
12%
Crowder
12%
Kaminsky
1%
Bridges
20%
Ayton
9%
CP3
20%
Nader
1%
Cam
8%
Payne
1%

Total votes: 138

pj0tr
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Re: Game 39: Minnesota Timberwolves (9-31) @ Phoenix Suns (26-12) l Thursday l 7:00pm l FSAZ 

Post#301 » by pj0tr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Yall need to chill... We're not even 1 year removed from being a laughing stock pre-bubble...

Young teams like the Suns will have trouble closing games, yes even with a veteran leader like Paul.

Games like this happen in the NBA. When you come out in the 1st Q and turn it over 11 times, you're not gonna put teams away. That is exactly what EJ pointed out in postgame.

Its one game, not a big deal. These are all lessons for a young team like the Suns trying to make the playoffs.

Anyone overreacting after 1 game needs to take a giant step back and chill.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Re: Game 39: Minnesota Timberwolves (9-31) @ Phoenix Suns (26-12) l Thursday l 7:00pm l FSAZ 

Post#302 » by Frank Lee » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 pm

This isn’t the first showing of this kind of play....

I guarantee half of us said...’here we go again..’ once the slop ball started. And BS on this young team excuse.
What ? Me Worry ?
pj0tr
Rookie

Post#303 » by pj0tr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:46 pm

Frank Lee wrote:And BS on this young team excuse.

You think young teams blowing games like this is unusual? Look at the Heat last year. They were an extremely young team who blew the most double-digit leads in the NBA, and ended up making the NBA Finals.

Games like this happen all of the time.

Hell, the TWolves literally just beat the Blazers, and the Pelicans, who just absolutely crushed the Clippers.

Its like some of you forgot the last 10 years of Suns play :D
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#304 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Pretty weird to see all the Ayton hate here and elsewhere. Check the box. Dude was playing well. Refs just had his # stuck in their heads all night.

I would love to see him be more aggressive on offense. I for sure wish his hands were better on that end, too. But that doesn't take away all he gives us.

If he "has no trade value" as some suggest, then let the rest of the L suck an egg. I'll happily re-sign him for less than what he's worth.

I should also point out that there are games he kind of loafs, which sucks. But same is true for CP3. Dude was turning the ball over a ton in the first last night.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#305 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:10 pm

I'm open to trading Crowder for the right player. I wasn't before, now I am.

The problem is that he isn't fitting in with the starters. Our starters are great, but somehow our starting UNIT isn't. It seems pretty clear the problem is at the 4 spot. We've had the most success with Frank there because he can make plays on offense - despite him not being a very good player, overall. That tells me something.

If we're moving Crowder, the key is not to "sell" him. Only move him if we're "buying" someone who's clearly an upgrade for us at the 4. Don't know who that is.

I'm probably just overreacting to a dumb loss. The team misses Cam. Every other team is missing an even bigger piece than we are though, so...?
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#306 » by Jdiddy701 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:14 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Pretty weird to see all the Ayton hate here and elsewhere. Check the box. Dude was playing well. Refs just had his # stuck in their heads all night.

I would love to see him be more aggressive on offense. I for sure wish his hands were better on that end, too. But that doesn't take away all he gives us.

If he "has no trade value" as some suggest, then let the rest of the L suck an egg. I'll happily re-sign him for less than what he's worth.

I should also point out that there are games he kind of loafs, which sucks. But same is true for CP3. Dude was turning the ball over a ton in the first last night.

I checked the box. He had 14 and 7, scores off all wide open attempts (except one hook shot). The player he was guarding finished with 41 10 8. Let’s hope he plays like a big boy tonight.

The rest of the team was hot garbage, too. Booker with bad TO’s, Crowder’s shot selection is always questionable, defense was BAD, Saric got destroyed and bench played ehhh (minus Galloway). I think we win this game if we had Cam Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,469

Post#307 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:18 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Still can’t believe this was called a foul in an NBA game in a close game with the player in question already in foul trouble.

The last one was even a more ridiculous foul call.

Rubio made that an easy call.

One of the biggest problems that Ayton has is that he plays like if he is playing with some friends in a gym. Does he knows that there are refs out there and you have to sell fouls to them?

I am not saying to flop, but show them something. He needs to act a bit more, because that is what the league wants and what the refs reward.

TJ Warren had the same problem the first few years in the league. He improved a bit and now he is decent at that.

That's one of the things I have grown to dislike about the NBA. This selling fouls thing. I often think I could NEVER see Jordan jump up into a defender simply because the defender jumped in the air, if he wasn't going to shoot anyway. It's just taken the natural feel out of the game.

I really don't understand why refs reward this type of behavior.
pj0tr
Rookie

Post#308 » by pj0tr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:19 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Pretty weird to see all the Ayton hate here and elsewhere. Check the box. Dude was playing well. Refs just had his # stuck in their heads all night.

I checked the box. He had 14 and 7, scores off all wide open attempts (except one hook shot). The player he was guarding finished with 41 10 8. Let’s hope he plays like a big boy tonight.

The rest of the team was hot garbage, too. Booker with bad TO’s, Crowder’s shot selection is always questionable, defense was BAD, Saric got destroyed and bench played ehhh (minus Galloway). I think we win this game if we had Cam Johnson.

Cam's absence right now is hurting the defense more than the offense IMO.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#309 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:29 pm

pj0tr wrote:Yall need to chill... We're not even 1 year removed from being a laughing stock pre-bubble...

Young teams like the Suns will have trouble closing games, yes even with a veteran leader like Paul.

Games like this happen in the NBA. When you come out in the 1st Q and turn it over 11 times, you're not gonna put teams away. That is exactly what EJ pointed out in postgame.

Its one game, not a big deal. These are all lessons for a young team like the Suns trying to make the playoffs.

Yeah, I don't get worked up over a bad loss here and there in the NBA. All teams have them and that's why we are still have one of the better records. The Lakers went into OT twice against OKC when they had AD. I would also rather have a great record against good teams and blow some to bad teams than the other way around. It lets us know we can compete with anyone. If we simply beat all the bad teams but couldn't beat as many good teams, it would let me know we can be only so good.

The turnovers and sloppiness though is really concerning. Our bench REALLY suffers without Cam too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#310 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:41 pm

One of the strangest things I've seen in my time as a Suns fan. I wasn't a huge Ayton fan when he was drafted or even now, but the level of hate is really strange. Our playstyle does him no favors either after running more with Rubio. If he played in the SSOL offense, he'd average over 20 with ease. But you slow down the pace to one of the slowest in the NBA where teams get set and pack the paint, it doesn't make things easy...harder to score in there, get clean passes, etc.

It's also funny when opposing bigs score a lot people act like we don't switch, but obviously when he switches onto Harden or Ball and gets roasted, he gets called out too...now of course he should, though those guys roast everyone, but it just shows he often isn't on the big because we switch on everything. And you can't really guard Towns 3s..or any 7 footer's...if he hits 5, you gotta live with it.

Anyway yeah, he wasn't the reason we lost this one...being in foul trouble hurt, but it was primarily the turnovers and bench play. Crowder didn't play well either.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#311 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 pm

The most frustrating thing about this loss outside of the dumb turnovers is that it was close in the first half..Book kept us in it, and then we grow the lead in the 2nd to double digits, and blow it down the stretch. Often we are the one with the double digit lead sometimes in the 2nd half and have to come back in the 4th to win it.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#312 » by Revived » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter

This is surprising for a team with vets like CP3 and Crowder.

And also, I’ve mentioned it before, but how can the team overlook opponents when this is the first time in their professional lives that any Suns player (besides the two aforementioned) has had success at the NBA level?

None of these players have had any success winning games besides CP3 and Crowder. I don’t understand how it’s possible to overlook opponents in the first season in which their winning games.

I just don’t get it. It would make sense to me if the Clippers or Lakers or Nuggets or some team like that is overlooking teams with bad records. Basically any team that has been winning a lot in recent years. But I just don’t understand how that applies to Suns players.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#313 » by Frank Lee » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:02 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
pj0tr wrote:Yall need to chill... We're not even 1 year removed from being a laughing stock pre-bubble...

Yeah, I don't get worked up over a bad loss here and there in the NBA. All teams have them and that's why we are still have one of the better records. The Lakers went into OT twice against OKC when they had AD. I would also rather have a great record against good teams and blow some to bad teams than the other way around. It lets us know we can compete with anyone. If we simply beat all the bad teams but couldn't beat as many good teams, it would let me know we can be only so good.

The turnovers and sloppiness though is really concerning. Our bench REALLY suffers without Cam too.

Gotta bring at least your B game to every game these days, else any team can sneak one on you. Trouble is, we don’t seem to have a B game... if not playing well, we go right to C- / D. Let’s be honest here.... this offense mostly looks like a chaotic hot potato game. Sure, when the treys are falling it’s effective... but when not and grinding a possession out, it’s messy.

You guys can profess patience all you want, but what we saw last night was a pathetic cry for interior size and athleticism. This current roster is one player or two off. Question is, do we get them next yr or try to make it a go this one?

It’s a tiny window
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#314 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is surprising for a team with vets like CP3 and Crowder.

And also, I’ve mentioned it before, but how can the team overlook opponents when this is the first time in their professional lives that any Suns player (besides the two aforementioned) has had success at the NBA level?

None of these players have had any success winning games besides CP3 and Crowder. I don’t understand how it’s possible to overlook opponents in the first season in which their winning games.

I just don’t get it. It would make sense to me if the Clippers or Lakers or Nuggets or some team like that is overlooking teams with bad records. Basically any team that has been winning a lot in recent years. But I just don’t understand how that applies to Suns players.

I don't really understand this team overlooking opponents either. Booker has had to fight for every win he's come by in his career. But his play last night wasn't indicative of overlooking the opponent. I mean there was the sloppiness with turnovers but that's not unusual, and he likely handled the ball moreso than usual since he was on fire early.

Then why would any of the even younger guys overlook opponents? That doesn't make sense either...Bridges doesn't seem to have the personality to do so, Ayton is going against one of the best Cs in the NBA.

Actually the two I think might be most likely to overlook opponents are Paul and Crowder...you are right that being the vets they shouldn't..but they are more accustomed to winning. Crowder isn't probably even used to sitting near the top of the standings. He didn't play well. CP3 doesn't seem like he would not take someone seriously though. Maybe Saric, but he was going against his old team he hates.

Now obviously Towns was probably extra motivated because he was outplayed by Ayton last time and he was going against his friend Book. He probably also knew the best ways to exploit Saric, having played with him and watching Saric play at his worst with Minnesota.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#315 » by Frank Lee » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Canned comment. Like we play up to our opponents too? Let’s face it, Minny is better than their record now that KAT is back and Edwards has been green lit. They looked to be the better team last night, play and personnel wise. When you have no answer for Naz Reed, you can expect problems.

Better kick it up a notch with the intensity and desire. As mentioned, teams are getting back to full strength, and starting to mesh better. We’ve got 25-30 games to hit stride. Stay healthy and figure things out. Hate to think we peaked early and surprised teams to get to this point.
What ? Me Worry ?
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#316 » by Wilber85 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:51 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:

You watched the game lol ? I guess all 41 points came against Ayton? Nah dude got in foul trouble. He was +7 and all other starters -
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#317 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:58 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:

You watched the game lol ? I guess all 41 points came against Ayton? Nah dude got in foul trouble. He was +7 and all other starters -

Yeah, I was mostly trying to put out the +/-. Even with KAT beasting, his team was still falling behind so long as Ayton was out there.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,041

Post#318 » by sunsbg » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:09 pm

Watching the replay from 3rd qtr just now. Ayton goes to the bench, Wolves next 10 shots are at the rim, but DA has no impact LOL.

Bridges with 8 assists is nice.

Return to Phoenix Suns