ImageImageImage

Torrey Craig discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,459

Re: Torrey Craig discussion, news and highlights 

Post#61 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:58 pm

We should've acquired a box of cereal it would definitely play better defense against Ingram over what Craig gave us last game. Gordon would have been a pleasant pickup but guess that was not an option. Craig is a hustle player, get hit a three once in a while, dives for some loose balls, maybe a steal but besides that is pretty much limited as a basketball player. I was glad we picked him up again but now I ain't.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,633

Post#62 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:06 pm

kennydorglas wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:Seems like his defense regressed a lot
Just got punked by Ingram

Who didn't get punked by Ingram? Elite offense always beats elite defense

Not this at all. Crowder is actually being charged with elite offense bc he's making BI work.
When Torrey gets in, Ingram immediately go in a scoring spree. He's just allowing him to go to his spots without any pressure.

He was already cooking at that point
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,814

Post#63 » by Saberestar » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:53 am

Twenty games into the season and Craig is putting his best numbers on his career at every category.

7.5 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 0.8 blocks in 23 minutes per game.

He is shooting a career high .393 from three and getting 1.8 offensive boards per game. Both stats make him really valuable as a stretch/cutter and switchable PF for the Suns.

He is UFA after this season. He will be 32 in a couple weeks and he relies his game in his athletic ability...not sure how high we need to go to extend him or sign him again this summer.

Can we offer him $10M/2 years now (like his current contract) or we need to wait until the summer?
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,169

Post#64 » by Frank Lee » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:57 am

If they had a stat of ‘timely rebounds’ or ‘timely threes’, i think TC would be top ten
What ? Me Worry ?
RayLight
Freshman
And1: 154

Post#65 » by RayLight » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:58 am

Torrey has been playing FANTASTICALLY.
I hope JJ offers him a good 3-year contract as he is a valuable member of the team. I know that he is in a contract year, but we have to acknowledge the way he feels in for Cam Johnson in the starting lineup.

In my opinion, Craig`s a lesser version of Shawn Marion. Of course, Marion was a better defender and way better rebounder, but the frame of TC is quite similar to the Matrix`s one.
lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#66 » by lonea » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:11 pm

At this point, keeping Craig and packaging Cam Johnson, Saric and Crowder is probably the best course of action.

Johnson will be too expensive for his availability. He's turning into a Hayward/Parsons...
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,399

Post#67 » by Revived » Fri Dec 2, 2022 4:50 pm

RayLight wrote:Torrey has been playing FANTASTICALLY.
I hope JJ offers him a good 3-year contract as he is a valuable member of the team. I know that he is in a contract year, but we have to acknowledge the way he feels in for Cam Johnson in the starting lineup.

In my opinion, Craig`s a lesser version of Shawn Marion. Of course, Marion was a better defender and way better rebounder, but the frame of TC is quite similar to the Matrix`s one.

Craig wouldn’t be very good in a 3 yr contract. He’s shown twice now that he’s only motivated in contract years. I wouldn’t offer him more than 1 yr deals. And I doubt any other team in league will actually give him a multi year deal either unless it’s a 2 yr deal with team option on the 2nd year.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#68 » by sunsbum » Sun Dec 4, 2022 6:01 am

Revived wrote:

Craig wouldn’t be very good in a 3 yr contract. He’s shown twice now that he’s only motivated in contract years. I wouldn’t offer him more than 1 yr deals. And I doubt any other team in league will actually give him a multi year deal either unless it’s a 2 yr deal with team option on the 2nd year.

I +1 your comment but I dont think TC is that kind of guy (get his bag type). He's really found a spot thats good for him where he can just be the 5th guy and fill in the cracks.
Flex is now your father.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,450

Post#69 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 3:33 am

sunsbum wrote:
Revived wrote:

I +1 your comment but I dont think TC is that kind of guy (get his bag type). He's really found a spot thats good for him where he can just be the 5th guy and fill in the cracks.

I think his point was he was solid when we got him from Milwaukee when up for a contract, then got his 2 year contract last year with Indy, disappointed them, they traded him to us and he sucked for us last year and suddenly this year he is good again when up for a contract.

I think he's a fine guy to sign, but he's been inconsistent..starting for Nuggets playoff team to minimum guy for Bucks who traded him for $100K or whatever, to being solid with us in a contract year, to sucking with us last year to good again this year. Maybe not worth a multi year contract. His biggest is 2/$12 million though and they traded him so I don't imagine too many teams will be after him...since Den, Mil and Indy let him go and he'll be 33.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#70 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Dec 5, 2022 7:34 pm

sunsbum wrote:
Revived wrote:

Yeah a guy like Craig is best when he's the worst of the 5 guys on the floor. That way he can fly around and just do role player stuff. When he's asked to be a scorer or do too much I think you're asking for trouble.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,633

Post#71 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:24 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbum wrote:
Revived wrote:Craig wouldn’t be very good in a 3 yr contract. He’s shown twice now that he’s only motivated in contract years. I wouldn’t offer him more than 1 yr deals. And I doubt any other team in league will actually give him a multi year deal either unless it’s a 2 yr deal with team option on the 2nd year.

Yeah a guy like Craig is best when he's the worst of the 5 guys on the floor. That way he can fly around and just do role player stuff. When he's asked to be a scorer or do too much I think you're asking for trouble.

Has he ever been asked to be that guy?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#72 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Dec 5, 2022 11:23 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sunsbum wrote:I +1 your comment but I dont think TC is that kind of guy (get his bag type). He's really found a spot thats good for him where he can just be the 5th guy and fill in the cracks.

Has he ever been asked to be that guy?
He was pretty shot happy when he was starting on the Pacers. Heck even the suns bench last year there were times when they really needed someone to score. Probably a better way to say it is I think he's one of those guys who look better when he played with better players. I think Payne is a bit like that too.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#73 » by lonea » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:23 pm

Craig, I'd do 15 for 3 yrs.

Johnson will be like 80 for 4yrs

No brainer
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#74 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:20 pm

Was checking out Craig and Jalen Smith advanced stats and Craig has been a much better player this season by any measure.

The smith draft selection was awful but that trade is actually looking pretty good.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#75 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:27 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Was checking out Craig and Jalen Smith advanced stats and Craig has been a much better player this season by any measure.

The smith draft selection was awful but that trade is actually looking pretty good.

Maybe for now, but I guess if that's the only way you look at it, it's good.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#76 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:33 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Was checking out Craig and Jalen Smith advanced stats and Craig has been a much better player this season by any measure.

Yeah, but it can be the same for the next couple of years because Craig is a very good athlete and he is playing his best basketball ever this season.

I don't think he is gonna be much worse next year...and Jalen Smith probably doesn't improve enough to be as good as Craig.

I would extend him ASAP, losing him in FA would be a mistake IMO.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,036

Post#77 » by sunsbg » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:05 pm

Don't trust players like Craig and McGee, who show only in contract years. Maybe put a team option on a two year deal.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#78 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:40 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

I have my doubts that's Smith is ever really a good player.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#79 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:17 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, but it can be the same for the next couple of years because Craig is a very good athlete and he is playing his best basketball ever this season.

I don't think he is gonna be much worse next year...and Jalen Smith probably doesn't improve enough to be as good as Craig.

I would extend him ASAP, losing him in FA would be a mistake IMO.

I'm sure we will see who we can get and if it is better than we can get for the Tax MLE...unless we want to use both. But we also may trade Crowder for someone who goes into next year plus sign Cam to a decent contract so that's a lot of money, especially if we also keep Paul.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#80 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:42 pm

sunsbg wrote:Don't trust players like Craig and McGee, who show only in contract years. Maybe put a team option on a two year deal.

That's not true about Craig.

Look at his raw and advanced numbers...you would never know when he is in a contract year.

Last year he was playing well for the Pacers and he played OK for us until the playoffs. Just that.

This season he is playing his best basketball.

Return to Phoenix Suns