Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: The 11 Year Drought is over! 

Post#41 » by RunDogGun » Mon May 3, 2021 1:32 pm

starbosa10 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:I salute whoever watched pretty much every Suns game during these last 11 years. I'm one of them. We needed this.

We had to watch:

Turkoglu
Warrick
Childress
Shannon Brown
Michael Beasley
Coach Lindsey Hunter
Brandon Knight
Marqueese Chriss
Dragan Bender
Josh Jackson
The Morris Twins
Kendal Marshall
Jimmer Fredette
Archie Goodwin
Trevor Ariza
Ryan Anderson
and more...

I loved Turkgolu on the magic... his arrival was the beginning of a dark period as a suns fan though :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was all downhill after they tried to replace amare with hedo, Childress, and Warrick :banghead: what an awful offseason

We used them all wrong. We should have started Warrick, and run him like an Amare-lite, and bring Hedu off the bench with Goran to run the second unit. And whoever thought it was a good idea to keep Childress standing around on the three point line, should have been smacked. After his thumb injury, he couldn't hit a three.
Nash could have made Warrick look like an incredible find. I would have run Warrick at the top of the key on defense in a zone like situation, and have him leak out for easy baskets.
Our real mistake was not asking the Knicks for David Lee in the sign and trade for Amare.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,291

Post#42 » by Calvin Klein » Mon May 3, 2021 9:58 pm

None of those players were actually good. It wouldn't have mattered. Hedo used to be good, but not with Phoenix.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#43 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 3, 2021 10:54 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:None of those players were actually good. It wouldn't have mattered. Hedo used to be good, but not with Phoenix.

Yeah

You can try but you can't really polish a turd which was the team we had after we went all in with the Hedo's, Warricks, Childress, Gortat and VC. That team went 40-42 that season and that was probably the ceiling for that team. Warrick was just a role player, Hedo was good but had been average for the couple of seasons, Childress hadn't even been in the NBA for 2 bloody seasons, we got an older VC who hadn't been VC for a couple of seasons and Gortat might've been the most legit of these dudes as he was still young and was seen as the best non-starting C in the league.

JRich was still here and he was still legit but I'm not sure what people expected a 36 year old Nash to do with this group
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,291

Post#44 » by Calvin Klein » Tue May 4, 2021 2:42 pm

JRich was traded for Gortat/VC, wasn't he?

In the general board they are talking about overachieving teams. It's really incredible what the 13-14 team did. Expected to win 20 games and won 48 games with Dragic, Bledsoe (who missed half the season), Frye, G Green PJ, Miles Plumlee and the Morris twins as their rotation.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#45 » by RunDogGun » Tue May 4, 2021 3:43 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:None of those players were actually good. It wouldn't have mattered. Hedo used to be good, but not with Phoenix.
It really depends on how you use those players. Childress was a smart defender, and great at slashing to the hoop. We for some reason decided to have him wait on the three point line, where he was very little threat. So guys could slack off of him, and clog the lane. If you watch that season, you could see when Childress left that three point line, snuck to the basket, and Nash would easily find him for an easy basket. That thumb injury early in the season, seemed to bother him throughout the season, but had little effect on two foot shots. He wasn't worth the contract we gave him, but if used correctly, he would have been a decent role player off the bench.

Warrick was all offense, and would have benefitted from having Nash spoon feed him lobs all day long. But they didn't get as much playing time together. He had a tough time guarding bigger PFs, but when we ran a zone with him at the top of the key, his longer arms helped make deflections and steals.

Hedo should not have started. He wanted to be the point forward, and we already had Nash. Starting the two of them really disrupted our offense. Having him run with Goran would have helped them both.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#46 » by lilfishi22 » Tue May 4, 2021 10:30 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:JRich was traded for Gortat/VC, wasn't he?

In the general board they are talking about overachieving teams. It's really incredible what the 13-14 team did. Expected to win 20 games and won 48 games with Dragic, Bledsoe (who missed half the season), Frye, G Green PJ, Miles Plumlee and the Morris twins as their rotation.

Yeah he did. We got about 25 games from him and he put up pretty good stats. We were also .500 with him on the team so that's why I included him as someone who contributed to the .500 record.

That 13-14 Suns team will always be one of my favourites because it was there was so many question marks about how Bledsoe would fit, how Hornacek would run the team and we didn't know whether McD's decisions in the offseason would lead to anything. But we caught lightning in a bottle with the Dragic/Bledsoe backcourt (small elite backcourts isn't common) and it came down to a loss to the Grizzlies I think that kept us out of the playoffs. Was so full of hope and optimism after that season...didn't expect the next 6 seasons to be one of the worst teams in the league
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#47 » by RunDogGun » Wed May 5, 2021 4:25 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

Yeah he did. We got about 25 games from him and he put up pretty good stats. We were also .500 with him on the team so that's why I included him as someone who contributed to the .500 record.

That 13-14 Suns team will always be one of my favourites because it was there was so many question marks about how Bledsoe would fit, how Hornacek would run the team and we didn't know whether McD's decisions in the offseason would lead to anything. But we caught lightning in a bottle with the Dragic/Bledsoe backcourt (small elite backcourts isn't common) and it came down to a loss to the Grizzlies I think that kept us out of the playoffs. Was so full of hope and optimism after that season...didn't expect the next 6 seasons to be one of the worst teams in the league

It seemed like Hornacek just had them play like KJ and he back in 91. They were 6'1" and 6'3" respectfully.
Ryu
Bench Warmer
And1: 552

Post#48 » by Ryu » Wed May 5, 2021 6:24 pm

Dragic and Gerald Green were so much fun that season as our starting backcourt.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#49 » by Desertfox » Wed May 5, 2021 9:58 pm

It might not be the best but that Dragic lead team was so much fun to watch and definitely my favorite. The 2010 backups where also so much fun, Dragic ripping the guts out of the Spurs in the playoffs was incredible.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#50 » by suns12345 » Wed May 5, 2021 10:57 pm

Desertfox wrote:It might not be the best but that Dragic lead team was so much fun to watch and definitely my favorite. The 2010 backups where also so much fun, Dragic ripping the guts out of the Spurs in the playoffs was incredible.

The 2010 year was my favorite too. I remember that bench with Dragic, Dudley, Barbosa, Amundson just lighting dudes up.

This is my best memory against LA where gentry played the whole bench until 4 mins to go in the 4th and they won us the game.

Return to Phoenix Suns