Re: 2021-22 Season/Offseason Speculation 

Post#2 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:10 am

Let's trade Monty for picks.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,170

Post#3 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:14 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Let's trade Monty for picks.

We went from 19-63 to 34-39 to 51-21 under Monty. He's developed our young guys so much, and got us to the NBA finals in his 2nd season. Let the man coach.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#4 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:17 am

MrMiyagi wrote:

We went from 19-63 to 34-39 to 51-21 under Monty. He's developed our young guys so much, and got us to the NBA finals in his 2nd season. Let the man coach.

He also cost us the finals. A finals we were a big favorite in. A finals where we had a 2-0 lead.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,466

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:22 am

This was a very close finals. I think all in all it came down to execution, mistakes, Giannis being incredible, and Jrue's defense. Middleton was unbelievable too in most of the games..Connaughton was what Cam Johnson maybe would have looked like if Crowder was injured...like DiVincenzo was.

No one for us was consistent at all. We have far less experience.

You'd expect us to lose knowing Giannis was fully healthy (and lets face, somehow, some way, he was.
MrMiyagi

Post#6 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:23 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

He also cost us the finals. A finals we were a big favorite in. A finals where we had a 2-0 lead.

Booker was 0-7 tonight from 3 in a game that was within 6 for most of the last 3 minutes. Should we trade him too? Did he not cost us the game?

James Jones didn't get us a back-up big in the buyout market. Should we fire him?

Mikal disappeared in several games for several stretches. Ayton couldn't establish himself in mismatch situations. Should we trade them?

We can go down the entire list of guys in this organization that "cost us the finals". Don't start blowing **** up. This isn't NBA2k. It was a weird year, with a short offseason. Expect improvement next season, and then see if large changes need to be made.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#7 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:25 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:We went from 19-63 to 34-39 to 51-21 under Monty. He's developed our young guys so much, and got us to the NBA finals in his 2nd season. Let the man coach.

Booker was 0-7 tonight from 3 in a game that was within 6 for most of the last 3 minutes. Should we trade him too? Did he not cost us the game?

James Jones didn't get us a back-up big in the buyout market. Should we fire him?

Mikal disappeared in several games for several stretches. Ayton couldn't establish himself in mismatch situations. Should we trade them?

We can go down the entire list of guys in this organization that "cost us the finals". Don't start blowing **** up. This isn't NBA2k. It was a weird year, with a short offseason. Expect improvement next season, and then see if large changes need to be made.

No. Monty made a number of strategic blunders throughout. My opinion on that is well documented throughout the game threads. He made nonsensical lineup decisions, took the Bucks bait to get away from sets that never stopped working, and failed to get the team to play with desperation until basically the last 6 minutes of Game 5 and today. All of those are on him. All of them. He more than anyone is responsible for the collapse from 2-0 to getting swept in 4.

Also, those guys are young and can improve. Not the same for coaches. There are a ton of very obvious things Monty stubbornly refused to do, even as simple as call a timeout or sub in your star when the other team is on a 16-0 run in like 3 minutes of gametime. He cost this more than any of the others. And he's also the most replaceable. So yes, I'd love to get picks for him.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,691

Post#8 » by Qwigglez » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:25 am

I'm mostly interested to see what happens this off-season. Who stays and who goes? What the contracts will look like for Bridges and Ayton, along with Cam Payne. Probably the biggest thing is if CP3 wants to come back to Phoenix or if Lebron convinces him to go to LA. Trim the fat up, likely try and trade Jevon Carter for some cap relief to a bottom rung team. Craig, Nader, Moore, and Galloway I assume will be gone as well.

Suns need a bit more veteran presence, another shot creator. I'd like to go after Reggie Jackson if possible. Obviously another big body is on the list as well. Robin Lopez maybe? Dwight Howard or Alex Len? Jeff Green.

I hope to see some progression on Jalen Smith and hope he's a regular part of the Suns rotation next season after filling out his body some. He could be a huge difference maker next season potentially.
MrMiyagi

Post#9 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:27 am

Qwigglez wrote:I'm mostly interested to see what happens this off-season. Who stays and who goes? What the contracts will look like for Bridges and Ayton, along with Cam Payne. Probably the biggest thing is if CP3 wants to come back to Phoenix or if Lebron convinces him to go to LA. Trim the fat up, likely try and trade Jevon Carter for some cap relief to a bottom rung team. Craig, Nader, Moore, and Galloway I assume will be gone as well.

Suns need a bit more veteran presence, another shot creator. I'd like to go after Reggie Jackson if possible. Obviously another big body is on the list as well. Robin Lopez maybe? Dwight Howard or Alex Len? Jeff Green.

I hope to see some progression on Jalen Smith and hope he's a regular part of the Suns rotation next season after filling out his body some. He could be a huge difference maker next season potentially.

Reggie Jackson is going to get PAID. Probably by the Knicks.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#10 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:29 am

Also if a month from now Smith is playing well I'm going to be absolutely pissed he wasn't tried at all in a series where we were absolutely desperate for a big PF.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#11 » by Qwigglez » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:34 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I'm mostly interested to see what happens this off-season. Who stays and who goes? What the contracts will look like for Bridges and Ayton, along with Cam Payne. Probably the biggest thing is if CP3 wants to come back to Phoenix or if Lebron convinces him to go to LA. Trim the fat up, likely try and trade Jevon Carter for some cap relief to a bottom rung team. Craig, Nader, Moore, and Galloway I assume will be gone as well.

He was contemplating retiring last off-season. :lol:
I was under the impression he was seeking a championship, but if he's looking to get a huge payday, then yeah he's obviously off the table.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:34 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:We went from 19-63 to 34-39 to 51-21 under Monty. He's developed our young guys so much, and got us to the NBA finals in his 2nd season. Let the man coach.

Yeah, a few Ayton rolls around the basket go in OR we finish a couple of those fast breaks we screwed with a missed dunk, a missed alleyoop, a Booker pass out of bounds, OR if Giannis just shoots his normal % free throws OR If Booker just makes 1 of those 3s and/or avoids a couple of the turnovers....if Cam Johnson doesn't shoot 25% from 3 or Jae 22%....at least hit one more and go 33%.

Our offense sucked outside of our 2 point guards, and ironically, Kaminsky, but he wasn't really guarded.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#13 » by cberry78 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:39 am

Let's trade AtheJ415 for picks....or at least cash considerations. :lol:
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,683

Post#14 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:41 am

Read on Twitter

**** you magic :lol:
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#15 » by cberry78 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:42 am

Calvin Klein wrote:
Read on Twitter

Isn't he still involved with the Lakers front office? Isn't that tampering?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
MrMiyagi

Post#16 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:46 am

Qwigglez wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

He was contemplating retiring last off-season. :lol:
I was under the impression he was seeking a championship, but if he's looking to get a huge payday, then yeah he's obviously off the table.

Maybe he is. Who knows. It'll be interesting to see what we do in the draft. There's a lot of teams with multiple picks that we could possibly try to pry away if there's a guys we really like, but there's also a lot of interesting Guards and Bigs projected to go late.

I also want to see Book in Tokyo. I want him to continue to be active defensively and look to make more plays. Durant and Dame are great guys to learn from, and hopefully he has the humility to listen to Jrue and pick his brain about becoming a better defender.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#17 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:00 am

cberry78 wrote:Let's trade AtheJ415 for picks....or at least cash considerations. :lol:

With just how badly he coached this series I have 0 faith he will ever become the type of coach who is capable of winning it all. I hope I'm wrong, but this was just about the most dumbfounding decisionmaking in key situations that I can recall in finals history. You don't buzzsaw a team the opening 2 games and then abandon your entire offensive system for large portions of games.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#18 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:03 am

Calvin Klein wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think it's like 50/50 that happens but it would have 0 to do with Magic. Paul is a temporary solution anyways. Just have to hope if that happens that whoever comes in is good enough to get back to the playoffs and keep Booker happy. Real shame we didn't draft D'jounte Murray. Payne is good enough to be a starter in this league though. And he's young enough to be here awhile, but we'd obviously need more creation to actually be at the same level as we were with CP3's play for most of this season.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#19 » by Qwigglez » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:12 am

Man... trying to figure out the Suns cap space is crazy. CP3 has until August 1st to decline his player option for next season. I assume Suns negotiate with him and offer him a multiyear deal, in which case the Suns are operating over the cap. Any of the Suns upcoming free agents, if we offer anything over a minimum salary contract, it eats into the Suns MLE. Cam Payne is likely going to eat all the Suns MLE money, where the Suns will only have the Bi-Annual Exception to offer free agents. So the idea that the Suns are going to significantly improve can only come from internal growth from guys like Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jalen Smith.

Suns options are severely limited unless they make some trades during the draft (July 29th). The Free Agency Moratorium is August 2nd-6th. There is a lot of work to be done this off-season.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:15 am

cberry78 wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:
Read on Twitter

Isn't he still involved with the Lakers front office? Isn't that tampering?

Return to Phoenix Suns