ImageImageImage

2021-22 Season Discussion and Speculation

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Do you truly expect the Suns to win the finals this year?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 33

Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,176

Re: 2021-22 Season Discussion and Speculation 

Post#1221 » by Slim Charless » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:It's amazing how many teams have big name players out. Just looking at box scores, no Bam, Butler or Giannis in that game, no Luka, KP or Ja in their game, Jaylen Brown and Lillard were out of their game, Towns was out last night, and of course Kawhi, Klay, Murray, Porter Jr, Simmons, Kyrie, etc, have been out. LeBron was out for awhile. We had Ayton out and now Booker plus a few other deeper bench players.

The Warriors were not missing anyone else tonight though and lost to the Spurs, so we are tied with them now. They probably get Klay and Wiseman back within a week....Booker for us too.

Should be a fun ride the rest of the year. I'm still interested in seeing who is traded and what team tries to make a final push.

I'm still waiting for that Simmons trade. My guess is either Sacramento for Fox or Bed-Stuy for Kyrie, of course he (and KD/Beard) have to agree to that but it makes a ton of sense imo.

I don't think we see a Dame trade yet, but this summer they might finally pull the trigger. That's also another Simmons possibility if they fold and decide that a CJ+Roco combo is good enough.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1222 » by Bogyo » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:41 am

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:It's amazing how many teams have big name players out. Just looking at box scores, no Bam, Butler or Giannis in that game, no Luka, KP or Ja in their game, Jaylen Brown and Lillard were out of their game, Towns was out last night, and of course Kawhi, Klay, Murray, Porter Jr, Simmons, Kyrie, etc, have been out. LeBron was out for awhile. We had Ayton out and now Booker plus a few other deeper bench players.

The Warriors were not missing anyone else tonight though and lost to the Spurs, so we are tied with them now. They probably get Klay and Wiseman back within a week....Booker for us too.

Should be a fun ride the rest of the year. I'm still interested in seeing who is traded and what team tries to make a final push.

I'm still waiting for that Simmons trade. My guess is either Sacramento for Fox or Bed-Stuy for Kyrie, of course he (and KD/Beard) have to agree to that but it makes a ton of sense imo.

I don't think we see a Dame trade yet, but this summer they might finally pull the trigger. That's also another Simmons possibility if they fold and decide that a CJ+Roco combo is good enough.

I would never trade for Kyrie. He is dumb as a rock.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#1223 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:49 am

The Bucks are favorites to win it all again IMO and Brook Lopez out indefinitely is HUGE.

Can he be back in shape for the playoffs? We will see.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,447

Post#1224 » by Revived » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:07 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:
i'm still one of those who believe this is all cp3, so i believe more in phx than i do in booker and ayton

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2143098&start=20#p95213814

It’s funny to see comments like this. Before coming here, CP3 never sniffed the Finals once in his entire career and was seen as a playoff choker. Then last season he gets traded to Suns and in his first season with the team, he finally after a million years in the league finally gets to the Finals.

Well, he was always stopped by that juggernaut Warriors team before, and I think at least once by the Thunder when they had KD, Serge and Westbrook. Can't remember if they ever ran into the TD/Kawhi Spurs.

That’s fine but the point still remains he couldn’t get to the finals till he joined the Suns. Doesn’t matter if it’s because the ‘90s Bulls stood in his way or the Warriors dynasty or whatever.

Excuses work both ways, Booker (and Bridges & Ayton) had complete garbage around him until the season before CP3 joined. Then the team looked decent till Ayton got suspended and then after he came back they went 8-0 in the bubble even with Rubio.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,176

Post#1225 » by Slim Charless » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:13 am

Bogyo wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

A motivated, healthy Kyrie swings the Eastern conference. Whether he's playing with Brooklyn or decides that he's fine with Philadelphia. Either way, adding him to 1 of those teams makes them the favorite over Milwaukee and anyone else over there.

KD and Kyrie were otw to sweeping the "champs" till Irving got injured. He's 1 of the 15 best players in the league when he's on. No debate imo.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#1226 » by Bogyo » Sun Dec 5, 2021 8:09 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

A motivated, healthy Kyrie swings the Eastern conference. Whether he's playing with Brooklyn or decides that he's fine with Philadelphia. Either way, adding him to 1 of those teams makes them the favorite over Milwaukee and anyone else over there.

KD and Kyrie were otw to sweeping the "champs" till Irving got injured. He's 1 of the 15 best players in the league when he's on. No debate imo.

And prime MJ would swing it another way. But neither prime MJ nor motivated healthy Kyrie exists anymore.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1227 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 5, 2021 11:30 am

Right now, this situation is not ideal for me,” Thaddeus Young said. “I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve had to settle for 4 and 6 minutes a game.”

Young said he understands the San Antonio Spurs are rebuilding, but he believes he can still contribute to a winning team.

“If I get a certain amount of minutes, then I’m able to be consistent. As consistent as I’ve been in (recent) years. So far this season, I haven’t really played as much as I’ve played in the past, but with the time that I have been given, I’ve been productive," said Young. "If I’m able to play a certain amount of minutes per game, then I feel like I can continue to be as consistent as I’ve been for years, and for many more years to come.”

Read on Twitter
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1228 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Dec 5, 2021 11:55 am

Jerami Grant showed we still have a bit of trouble with big forwards.

If there's a reason we're playing with 14 on the roster Thad Young buyout might be it.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1229 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 5, 2021 12:13 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Jerami Grant showed we still have a bit of trouble with big forwards.

If there's a reason we're playing with 14 on the roster Thad Young buyout might be it.

He makes a lot of sense with Saric AND Kaminsky out.

We don't know if one of them will be available this season, it's a must to acquire a good veteran PF/C before the playoffs.

Gambo said that we were interested in him for real but trading for him was always a long shot, too complicated to get it done. But after being bought out? He will be a perfect target.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1230 » by BobbieL » Sun Dec 5, 2021 2:39 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Right now, this situation is not ideal for me,” Thaddeus Young said. “I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve had to settle for 4 and 6 minutes a game.”

Young said he understands the San Antonio Spurs are rebuilding, but he believes he can still contribute to a winning team.

“If I get a certain amount of minutes, then I’m able to be consistent. As consistent as I’ve been in (recent) years. So far this season, I haven’t really played as much as I’ve played in the past, but with the time that I have been given, I’ve been productive," said Young. "If I’m able to play a certain amount of minutes per game, then I feel like I can continue to be as consistent as I’ve been for years, and for many more years to come.”

Read on Twitter

I do not see a trade for Young - but if there is a buyout - I totally can see the Suns offering the rest of the MLE or if Saric is not expected back, apply for the DPE to get Young

I do wonder if the Suns will use the contracts of Smith and Wainright or Hutchinson (if they can be traded) to get a player for 7m-10m- probably would need to add a draft pick

As for other trades - I do not have ESPN Insider so only got the first of 5 trades they suggested. But it was a good one, for the Warriors: Sabonis for Wiseman, Kominga and Moody. That would be a game changer for the Warriors. And if the Pacers did it - I can see why - they are kind of stuck

As for other trades - the Sixers should be trying to move Simmons. I still think Portland for CJ McC makes a lot of sense

LEt the rosterbating begin for the Suns - just looking at options for Smith and Hutch or Wainright for instance using Real GM trade checker

Would the Rockets take them to take a flier on Smith for DJ Augustin

Would the Pelicans take both players for Satoransky - again a flier on Smith
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#1231 » by sunsbg » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:22 pm

Expected better numbers from Satoransky checking his stats, certainly not 2.8ppg on terrible percentages. Someone like Galloway to hit 3s for a short stretch when Cam Payne/Shamet are cold in a game would be useful. Monty doesn't use this type of players in the playoffs though. Young makes two much sense after they signed a similar player in Craig last season, who had big contributions in many games.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1232 » by BobbieL » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:12 pm

sunsbg wrote:Expected better numbers from Satoransky checking his stats, certainly not 2.8ppg on terrible percentages. Someone like Galloway to hit 3s for a short stretch when Cam Payne/Shamet are cold in a game would be useful. Monty doesn't use this type of players in the playoffs though. Young makes two much sense after they signed a similar player in Craig last season, who had big contributions in many games.

Good points . And heck there might not even be minutes for Satoransky or Augustin. I was just looking at bad teams with players that Smith was a salary match for. Who knows, both guys might be bought out as it is and Smith eventually waived.

I do think Young is probably on the Suns radar if the Spurs do buy him out.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#1233 » by Bogyo » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:49 pm

We should be on all these. Buyout market with the rest of our MLE, Saric's DPE, Jalen/Hutch/Elfrid, and depending on the get, some of our future draft picks. There are a ton of teams who are plain bad, looking to tank, some looking to blow it up and tank, and some players just stuck in not a good situation for them.
Indiana is set at PG, loaded on the wings, and looking to make moves. I don't think that any of Craig/Lamb/Holiday are untouchable, especially if they trade Turner. Or Sabonis for young group of talent like Wisemann, Moody, Kuminga. That's a reset where we could scoop in... If Portland blows it up trading Dame, do they really need Nance? Pelicans could have some guys who could be salvaged from that train wreck. Houston ditto. Detroit, why not? Thad from SA like up here? T. Ross from Orlando for Jalen and Hutch works in the trade machine, would they say no if we add a 2nd? Favors also works (while he is a bit lumbering to be anything else than a 5), but I'm sure he either gets bought out or traded for a second and filler at the deadline. That's just off the top of my head. Not saying any of these guys would be moved, but some of them are very likely.
JJ get to work, get us the final puzzle, get us the title! You can be pretty sure that the Warriors brass is looking at everything with that warchest of the Wiggins contract, Wisemann, Moody, Kuminga+whatever pick they have. They could get a legit all star if they wanted and I'm pretty sure they will if opportunity knocks and Klay is back to his old self after his return (which is not a given, just saying). Imagine if they traded Wiggins and some of these youngsters for a Siakam or Sabonis... Even Turner would be nasty for them with his range and D.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#1234 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:58 pm

Saberestar wrote:

The Bucks are favorites to win it all again IMO and Brook Lopez out indefinitely is HUGE.

Can he be back in shape for the playoffs? We will see.

It is weird. 538 has Bucks at 31% chance, us at 16% chance, Jazz 14%, Nets 10%, Sixers 5%, GS 4% along with Celtics and Nuggets, and then Heat way down at 3% with Clips.

That is their RAPTOR rating based on rosters.

Their ELO ratings based on how teams have played to date, schedule, margin of victory, etc

ELO has us at 27%, Warriors at 16%, Jazz at 12%, Bucks at 11%

Vegas odds are Nets +260, Warriors +550, Bucks at +700, Lakers and Jazz at +1000 and us at +1,100

So we could be a good bet at $100 to pay off $1,100
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1235 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:06 pm

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:
It’s funny to see comments like this. Before coming here, CP3 never sniffed the Finals once in his entire career and was seen as a playoff choker. Then last season he gets traded to Suns and in his first season with the team, he finally after a million years in the league finally gets to the Finals.

Well, he was always stopped by that juggernaut Warriors team before, and I think at least once by the Thunder when they had KD, Serge and Westbrook. Can't remember if they ever ran into the TD/Kawhi Spurs.

That’s fine but the point still remains he couldn’t get to the finals till he joined the Suns. Doesn’t matter if it’s because the ‘90s Bulls stood in his way or the Warriors dynasty or whatever.

Excuses work both ways, Booker (and Bridges & Ayton) had complete garbage around him until the season before CP3 joined. Then the team looked decent till Ayton got suspended and then after he came back they went 8-0 in the bubble even with Rubio.

OK, we differ on the way we look at things. I think if we are looking at things non biased or if any non biased fans look at us making the finals knocking out the Nuggets with their 2nd best player being Gordon and Rivers/Campuzzo at guards and the Clips with Reggie Jackson as the 2nd best player they wouldn't view those teams as tough as the Warriors or earlier Thunder.

Maybe I'm wrong. Whether excuse or not, CP3 had an easier rode even if the team was as good or better than his Clips with Griffin or those Rockets that almost beat Harden.

Just as I mentioned I don't think our path to the finals playing those teams with those players were as tough of teams as the Spurs, Mavs or 2010 Lakers against SSOL or the Lakers, Blazer, Sonics, Rockets in 89-95.

But we did make it and if you view this team as better than those and the road just as tough as many do as I see in the other thread, it's just a difference of opinion.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1236 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:07 pm

BobbieL wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Read on Twitter

I do not see a trade for Young - but if there is a buyout - I totally can see the Suns offering the rest of the MLE or if Saric is not expected back, apply for the DPE to get Young

I do wonder if the Suns will use the contracts of Smith and Wainright or Hutchinson (if they can be traded) to get a player for 7m-10m- probably would need to add a draft pick

As for other trades - I do not have ESPN Insider so only got the first of 5 trades they suggested. But it was a good one, for the Warriors: Sabonis for Wiseman, Kominga and Moody. That would be a game changer for the Warriors. And if the Pacers did it - I can see why - they are kind of stuck

As for other trades - the Sixers should be trying to move Simmons. I still think Portland for CJ McC makes a lot of sense

LEt the rosterbating begin for the Suns - just looking at options for Smith and Hutch or Wainright for instance using Real GM trade checker

We don't need DJ Augustin or Satoransky at all.

We are stacked at PG and Augustin is old, really small and worse than Payne.

Satoransky can play some SG but he wouldn't play over Shamet. He would be at most our 5th PG/SG.

We need frontcourt help.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1237 » by bwgood77 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:15 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:Jerami Grant showed we still have a bit of trouble with big forwards.

We don't know if one of them will be available this season, it's a must to acquire a good veteran PF/C before the playoffs.

Gambo said that we were interested in him for real but trading for him was always a long shot, too complicated to get it done. But after being bought out? He will be a perfect target.

Yes, I agree. They will try and trade him first though, to a competing team for a pick or young prospect. Denver has a ton of them so could with Porter out since he expires. They could start him...they could give up someone like Zeke Nnaji and some filler. Or Clips for Hartenstein/filler. Or some other team.

But I think with buyout Denver may have a better chance if they'd start him. I'd don't think we'd start him over Crowder. He also fits better with Jokic.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1238 » by BobbieL » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:24 pm

Saberestar wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

We don't need DJ Augustin or Satoransky at all.

We are stacked at PG and Augustin is old, really small and worse than Payne.

Satoransky can play some SG but he wouldn't play over Shamet. He would be at most our 5th PG/SG.

We need frontcourt help.

I do not disagree with you. My trades for Sato or DJ were purely this:
Is there a player out there that could help the Suns more than Smith seems to be helping them today

I mean, I looked up a guy like Favors and for Presti - he just wants to keep building and building - but Favors has a player option next year. Doesn't make sense. Hard to get the math to work for Young unless its Saric + Smith but the SPurs are taking on DArio next year.

I think a guy like Dragic gets bought out but he was always rumored for Dallas
Rubio - with the way the Cavs are playing, probably not. Same with Love
Gary Harris with the Magic - bought out probably

Sato and Augustin will be bought out or traded

From what I can see - the buyout list today, seems heavier with Guards than Forwards. Only Thad Young. Unless Favors is bought out but if that happens, the NBA needs to remove Sam Presti
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1239 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:34 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Yes, I agree. They will try and trade him first though, to a competing team for a pick or young prospect. Denver has a ton of them so could with Porter out since he expires. They could start him...they could give up someone like Zeke Nnaji and some filler. Or Clips for Hartenstein/filler. Or some other team.

But I think with buyout Denver may have a better chance if they'd start him. I'd don't think we'd start him over Crowder. He also fits better with Jokic.

A team trading for Thad Young needs to match around his salary ($14M) so it is not easy. There are not really options for them, the Spurs are not taking Kennard or Bledsoe.

As a buyout we can pay him much more than those two teams and give him a solid role coming from the bench.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,447

Post#1240 » by Revived » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:17 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

OK, we differ on the way we look at things. I think if we are looking at things non biased or if any non biased fans look at us making the finals knocking out the Nuggets with their 2nd best player being Gordon and Rivers/Campuzzo at guards and the Clips with Reggie Jackson as the 2nd best player they wouldn't view those teams as tough as the Warriors or earlier Thunder.

Maybe I'm wrong. Whether excuse or not, CP3 had an easier rode even if the team was as good or better than his Clips with Griffin or those Rockets that almost beat Harden.

Just as I mentioned I don't think our path to the finals playing those teams with those players were as tough of teams as the Spurs, Mavs or 2010 Lakers against SSOL or the Lakers, Blazer, Sonics, Rockets in 89-95.

But we did make it and if you view this team as better than those and the road just as tough as many do as I see in the other thread, it's just a difference of opinion.

I think those teams you mentioned in the past are better than the injured teams we faced. But it wasn’t just tough competition that stopped CP3, it was his own health too. He often had to take on a heavy load for his teams in the past which led to him constantly being hurt and missing bunch of games both in reg season and/or playoffs. Last season he had enough help on this team so he was really able to save his body throughout the whole season.

I just disagree with the narrative that CP3 alone is the reason the Suns aren’t one of the very worst teams in the league. He’s a major part of it for sure but Suns already started looking better and building a winning culture before he came. CP3 himself has mentioned how impressed he was with the Suns during the bubble and that basically made him realize that Suns are ready to become a title contender hence why he wanted to come here along with the Monty and Book connection.

Return to Phoenix Suns