garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,974

Re: Other Playoff Series 

Post#1141 » by garrick » Thu May 19, 2022 6:33 am

bwoolf2 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Now the Mavs can't make 3s. Super

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Warriors pace too much for Mavs. Shots are coming at a much quicker pace legs are also a little more tired. They will have a game where they make them but it might only be 1. Suns played at mavs pace let them dictate the game, Warriors won't allow that.

We allowed the Mavs to slow it down which played right into their hands. This is actually a recurring issue when CP3 plays because he prefers to play at a slow pace but there are absolutely times when you need to switch it up and play fast.

Monty just failed to adjust on both defense and offense for most of the series.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1142 » by Damkac » Thu May 19, 2022 9:49 am

KLEON wrote:If Ayton is a max player Looney must be a super max player

Valanciunas too. Totally murdered Ayton on boards.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1143 » by Damkac » Thu May 19, 2022 9:58 am

Dallas latest game is a perfect example why building entire offense on 3 point shooting is dumb. Even when they can't hit them they have no plan B, only to keep shooting them and hope they will start hiting.
PittsburghSuns
Junior
And1: 289

Post#1144 » by PittsburghSuns » Thu May 19, 2022 10:01 am

Bridges was really awful that Dallas series. It’s amazing how bad our team played almost from top to bottom In 4 out of the last 5 games of that series. Looked like a team who was disinterested and quit.
RayLight
Freshman
And1: 154

Post#1145 » by RayLight » Thu May 19, 2022 10:09 am

PittsburghSuns wrote:Bridges was really awful that Dallas series. It’s amazing how bad our team played almost from top to bottom In 4 out of the last 5 games of that series. Looked like a team who was disinterested and quit.

Exactly!
The motivation was gone and this is the reason I am thinking a serious problem emerged inside the team during the playoffs.
But I have to admit I really hate the style of play of Dallas and GSW - tons of 3s all the time. It is not even fun to watch such basketball. I prefer the mid-range game, hooks, pick-and-roll, etc.
Because of Curry, the NBA changed, but in my opinion, not for the better. It is a shame, really!
Iceman36
Sophomore
And1: 301

Post#1146 » by Iceman36 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:41 pm

RayLight wrote:
PittsburghSuns wrote:Bridges was really awful that Dallas series. It’s amazing how bad our team played almost from top to bottom In 4 out of the last 5 games of that series. Looked like a team who was disinterested and quit.

Exactly!
The motivation was gone and this is the reason I am thinking a serious problem emerged inside the team during the playoffs.
But I have to admit I really hate the style of play of Dallas and GSW - tons of 3s all the time. It is not even fun to watch such basketball. I prefer the mid-range game, hooks, pick-and-roll, etc.
Because of Curry, the NBA changed, but in my opinion, not for the better. It is a shame, really!

I think the same. Something happened after game 2!
RayLight
Freshman
And1: 154

Post#1147 » by RayLight » Thu May 19, 2022 1:50 pm

Something happened even before the playoffs. To lose your identity, style of play and chemistry, it is not normal at all. The Suns were crushing the teams all season, winning streaks, 3-4 quarter domination, clutch performance by Booker, and CP3 (mainly), nice team defense, good 3-point shooting, acceptable bench play, etc. The last month (before the playoffs) we all started seeing that the team is not playing to the standards it set this year.

Nobody is saying why or what actually happened (except the injuries), but it seems like the chemistry was broken. It is a shame, because this was maybe the best chance for a title.

Next year - fully healthy Clippers and Nuggets, upgraded Lakers, motivated Grizzlies, Wolves and Pelicans...
I really hope Jones and the staff find ways to improve the situation and the team, because next year we could be an easy first-round opponent or even fight inside the play-in spots for the last playoff seeds.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,247

Post#1148 » by enigmatics » Thu May 19, 2022 1:57 pm

People still overrate and put too much stock into regular season records. They don't mean a whole lot in terms of championship potential due to the nature of load management and players mentally taking nights off thru the grind of 82 games.

It's especially true of teams that lack a true NBA superstar.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#1149 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 19, 2022 2:17 pm

IamBBAnalysis wrote:

You really thought the Mavs had much to do with that series? It was all about how bad the Suns were...more than any series I have seen in recent years (taking into account talent vs talent).
Games 4, 6, and 7 the Mavs shot over 40% on a high volume of 3s. Hard to win against a team who does that regardless of how you play yourself. Game 3 was the one to steal from them. Suns playing poorly on O probably masked how well Dallas played in most of their wins. Dallas has been a funny team this playoffs where they basically either play well and win or completely suck in their losses.

The 3 is the great equalizer in the NBA. If you're the less talented team you should always shoot a ton of them and hope you get 4 hot games.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1150 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 19, 2022 2:26 pm

Damkac wrote:Dallas latest game is a perfect example why building entire offense on 3 point shooting is dumb. Even when they can't hit them they have no plan B, only to keep shooting them and hope they will start hiting.
Of the 4 teams left Golden State was 3rd, Dallas 6th, Boston was 9th, and Miami was 14th in 3 pointers attempted this season. Miami was the lowest team left in attempts but was 1st overall in 3pt %.

Personally I think the 3 has too much value and it's making the game kind of boring because teams just chuck them all game. But it's hard to argue with the results. It's a 3pt shooting league.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,247

Post#1151 » by enigmatics » Thu May 19, 2022 2:52 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Damkac wrote:Dallas latest game is a perfect example why building entire offense on 3 point shooting is dumb. Even when they can't hit them they have no plan B, only to keep shooting them and hope they will start hiting.
Of the 4 teams left Golden State was 3rd, Dallas 6th, Boston was 9th, and Miami was 14th in 3 pointers attempted this season. Miami was the lowest team left in attempts but was 1st overall in 3pt %.

Personally I think the 3 has too much value and it's making the game kind of boring because teams just chuck them all game. But it's hard to argue with the results. It's a 3pt shooting league.

I hate it.

It's also why we keep seeing all these blowouts in the playoffs. One team gets hot and the other can't hit their threes, there's a real lack of offensive big men, and the mid range can't be executed to offset it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1152 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 19, 2022 3:14 pm

enigmatics wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

I hate it.

It's also why we keep seeing all these blowouts in the playoffs. One team gets hot and the other can't hit their threes, there's a real lack of offensive big men, and the mid range can't be executed to offset it.
Theres no simple solution either. Probably the most effective would be a drastic one where they made 2's count as 3 and 3s count as 4. That would change the math.

Could eliminate the corner 3. But this might have an unintended consequence where teams pack the hell out the paint on D. Could move the line back but I kind think guys would still shoot them but just make a little less.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,454

Post#1153 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:34 pm

Damkac wrote:
KLEON wrote:If Ayton is a max player Looney must be a super max player

Valanciunas too. Totally murdered Ayton on boards.

Mainly rebounding his own misses and missing again. Though Ayton was usually contesting him or guarding out on perimeter. Ayton scored over 20 on 70% while JF scored 14 on 48%.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1154 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:35 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
enigmatics wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Of the 4 teams left Golden State was 3rd, Dallas 6th, Boston was 9th, and Miami was 14th in 3 pointers attempted this season. Miami was the lowest team left in attempts but was 1st overall in 3pt %.

I hate it.

Theres no simple solution either. Probably the most effective would be a drastic one where they made 2's count as 3 and 3s count as 4. That would change the math.

Could eliminate the corner 3. But this might have an unintended consequence where teams pack the hell out the paint on D. Could move the line back but I kind think guys would still shoot them but just make a little less.

Yeah, can't keep up with 3 pt shooting if shooting 2s unless it's Ayton at his 63+% which is better than 40% from 3. But there isn't enough of that.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1155 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 pm

Yeah, Bridges, Paul the last 5 games, Cam, and our reserves. Book and Ayton played the best. Ayton did get in foul trouble in one game so only played in 18 minutes though and then went to bench down 35 in game 7 when game was over.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#1156 » by kennydorglas » Thu May 19, 2022 4:26 pm

Easy series for gsw
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,948

Post#1157 » by KLEON » Thu May 19, 2022 5:22 pm

I still can't believe people are still backing a guy who is:
1 Beyond soft
2 Has terrible hands
3 Will have one great game and plays like trash the next 25 games
4 Never runs the PrR with one of the best PGs to ever play the game but McGee and even Biyombo does
5 Never wants to post up or attack the rim because again he's afraid of physicality
6 Only cares about his money which he doesn't deserve
Again get me John Collins
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#1158 » by bwoolf2 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:24 pm

garrick wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:

Warriors pace too much for Mavs. Shots are coming at a much quicker pace legs are also a little more tired. They will have a game where they make them but it might only be 1. Suns played at mavs pace let them dictate the game, Warriors won't allow that.

We allowed the Mavs to slow it down which played right into their hands. This is actually a recurring issue when CP3 plays because he prefers to play at a slow pace but there are absolutely times when you need to switch it up and play fast.

Monty just failed to adjust on both defense and offense for most of the series.

And honestly the restvof our guys Book, bridges, Johnson play better at a faster pace
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1159 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 19, 2022 5:27 pm

kennydorglas wrote:Easy series for gsw
Maybe but I wouldn't count Dallas out. They tend to look horrible in losses this postseason but it possible they can string together 4 good games.

It's interesting I saw some saying GS is a good perimeter defending team. Not sure if I really agree with that with Payton out. Poole is a horrific defender, like early career Booker bad. Klay can't move like he used too and is probably a net negative on D at this point. Curry plays hard and is generally sound on D but he has physical limitations. Wiggins is probably their best healthy perimeter defender and he's inconsistent. I think Dallas will score in these guys. Now maybe GS is making shots and that won't matter.

bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#1160 » by bwoolf2 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:43 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:Easy series for gsw
Maybe but I wouldn't count Dallas out. They tend to look horrible in losses this postseason but it possible they can string together 4 good games.

It's interesting I saw some saying GS is a good perimeter defending team. Not sure if I really agree with that with Payton out. Poole is a horrific defender, like early career Booker bad. Klay can't move like he used too and is probably a net negative on D at this point. Curry plays hard and is generally sound on D but he has physical limitations. Wiggins is probably their best healthy perimeter defender and he's inconsistent. I think Dallas will score in these guys. Now maybe GS is making shots and that won't matter.

The Mavs will have to impose their will and keep the pace way down if they want to stay in this series. This series is all about pace to me if Dallas plays at their pace they can win I just don't think they can.

Return to Phoenix Suns