ImageImageImage

Game 39: Miami Heat (24-15) @ Phoenix Suns (30-8) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Re: Game 39: Miami Heat (24-15) @ Phoenix Suns (30-8) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#161 » by thamadkant » Sun Jan 9, 2022 11:12 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:If Lowry was 3-4 years younger, he'd be a viable stand-in for our Chris Paul-less future.

No one else puts up 13/8 and seems to dominate the game with his head.

He was actually one of the few stop gap considerations that I really had hoped for us to consider with his poise and championship pedigree. Plus he's so stable in terms of production/ defense. But 35 yrs old is admittedly somewhat concerning for his salary too. Do you think there might he any chance perhaps to flip Paul's contract after next season with another good asset and some picks for Murray? Since Pop ( IF still there) seems to adore him, and they may want to look at one more run before pop retires and they more fully embrace a rebuild?

huh?

why would Pop and spurs decide to get really old all of a sudden though?

they arent contending even with CP3 given he is 37 years old next year. They have a bunch of role players but a 37 year old star wont be ideal to carry that load... and I think Spurs are one star in his prime away from competing anyways.... but Murray would have to be the secondary star.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Re: Game 39: Miami Heat (24-15) @ Phoenix Suns (30-8) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#162 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:55 am

This game makes me question more seriously than ever whether we need to make a move. We didn't play all that differently than we play a lot of nights - low energy, great execution, cold shooting from Paul, Booker and Payne. The big difference was the Heat flowing and getting hot. We didn't match their energy - which happens a lot, actually - but we also lacked the offensive weapons to hit back at them.

A lot of guys on our roster just aren't threats to go off most nights. Book and Cam can go off, but other than those two, who's threatening 30? If Ayton got the ball, maybe him. But turnaround mid-rangers are never going to keep up with teams hitting from three.

IMO, if we don't make a move to add another major scoring threat, we're going to have a disappointing playoffs.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,472

Post#163 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:44 am

Duane Rankin (@DuaneRankin) Tweeted:
Urgency.

Monty Williams wants #Suns to get back to that to start the game after 123-100 loss to #HEATCulture https://t.co/sfZ5YWWdOd
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#164 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:04 am

thamadkant wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:If Lowry was 3-4 years younger, he'd be a viable stand-in for our Chris Paul-less future.

No one else puts up 13/8 and seems to dominate the game with his head.

He was actually one of the few stop gap considerations that I really had hoped for us to consider with his poise and championship pedigree. Plus he's so stable in terms of production/ defense. But 35 yrs old is admittedly somewhat concerning for his salary too. Do you think there might he any chance perhaps to flip Paul's contract after next season with another good asset and some picks for Murray? Since Pop ( IF still there) seems to adore him, and they may want to look at one more run before pop retires and they more fully embrace a rebuild?

huh?

why would Pop and spurs decide to get really old all of a sudden though?

they arent contending even with CP3 given he is 37 years old next year. They have a bunch of role players but a 37 year old star wont be ideal to carry that load... and I think Spurs are one star in his prime away from competing anyways.... but Murray would have to be the secondary star.

The premise I think would be in that the whole league understands what Paul is able to do with lesser ( even non playoff teams). Were we not considered in that similar category before he got here and he elevated us beyond what anyone expected? Also Pop adores Paul, And as one of the greatest coaches in NBA history. And Paul is ine if the greatest point guards in nba history. So they both could team up for one last ( hurrah! ) legendary playoff run so to speak. Lastly the Spurs franchise is renowned for its ability to get the very best out of its players. Again, I'm not saying Paul would get the deal done alone. But perhaps Paul, multiple picks and perhaps Saric and Shamet.

I have no doubt whatsoever about what Pop could get out of Saric ( sign 'n' trade) and Shamet too possibly! Add those three vets and a number of firsts to the solid role players they already have and the Spurs front office can likely surprise a lot of people. If they can add one or two key free agency additions in 23' and they could be a very good playoff team? That would be an incredible send off for Popovich from the Spurs. :dontknow:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,631

Post#165 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:06 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:This game makes me question more seriously than ever whether we need to make a move. We didn't play all that differently than we play a lot of nights - low energy, great execution, cold shooting from Paul, Booker and Payne. The big difference was the Heat flowing and getting hot. We didn't match their energy - which happens a lot, actually - but we also lacked the offensive weapons to hit back at them.

A lot of guys on our roster just aren't threats to go off most nights. Book and Cam can go off, but other than those two, who's threatening 30? If Ayton got the ball, maybe him. But turnaround mid-rangers are never going to keep up with teams hitting from three.

IMO, if we don't make a move to add another major scoring threat, we're going to have a disappointing playoffs.

I don't know who that guy would be but realistically, this is the team we're going to war with. Guys who could go for 30 aren't common and they usually come with fairly significant weaknesses like poor defense or low BBIQ. Like if you think about it, someone like Lance Stephenson and Isaiah Thomas kinda fits that description of a guy who could randomly give you 30 if you give them shots but they also come with significant down sides.

Unless we get super lucky in a trade (e.g Dario/Stix for a 6th man) or someone in the buyout market decides to join us, we're probably not going to get significantly better on offense via upgrades.

The answer really is as simple as internal improvements. I don't think DA has really hit his stride yet this season with a bit of a stop start situation with the bruise earlier in the season and Covid now. Booker has looked good in a bunch of games but I don't think he's quite hit his stride either (45.5% from 2PT is well below his career avg), CamJo is starting to find his rhythm, Cam has been inconsistent and CP3 quite frankly looks like he's just cruising atm.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Post#166 » by RedIndian » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:This game makes me question more seriously than ever whether we need to make a move. We didn't play all that differently than we play a lot of nights - low energy, great execution, cold shooting from Paul, Booker and Payne. The big difference was the Heat flowing and getting hot. We didn't match their energy - which happens a lot, actually - but we also lacked the offensive weapons to hit back at them.

The only trade I can see available to get more scoring is the Eric Gordon trade. I think the Rockets would accept a package of Saric, Stix, salary filler and a protected 1st.

The trouble is that Gordon has that kicker in his contract in that if we win a championship, his 23-24 season gets guaranteed for $20.9 million. No chance Sarver ever digests that.

The only other option is probably Gary Harris on a buyout.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#167 » by thamadkant » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:25 am

Suns get predictable. Teams just wait for Paul and Booker to shoot and hope they're off... when off, the Suns look terrible because ball movement is bad. Defensively the Suns are mediocre from the 3pt line, vulnerable to hot shooting.

Ayton is still a key weapon Monty has not planned for and incorporated. Having Ayton be first option for a stretch of time can really make the Suns unpredictable and give them another option when Booker, Paul are off or the 3pt shooting is cold.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#168 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:32 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

I don't know who that guy would be but realistically, this is the team we're going to war with. Guys who could go for 30 aren't common and they usually come with fairly significant weaknesses like poor defense or low BBIQ. Like if you think about it, someone like Lance Stephenson and Isaiah Thomas kinda fits that description of a guy who could randomly give you 30 if you give them shots but they also come with significant down sides.

Unless we get super lucky in a trade (e.g Dario/Stix for a 6th man) or someone in the buyout market decides to join us, we're probably not going to get significantly better on offense via upgrades.

The answer really is as simple as internal improvements. I don't think DA has really hit his stride yet this season with a bit of a stop start situation with the bruise earlier in the season and Covid now. Booker has looked good in a bunch of games but I don't think he's quite hit his stride either (45.5% from 2PT is well below his career avg), CamJo is starting to find his rhythm, Cam has been inconsistent and CP3 quite frankly looks like he's just cruising atm.

Another big part of this is Cam Payne. I wasn't worried about Payne early in the season, but we're nearly halfway through now... yeesh. 48 FG% last season down to 38% this season, 44% from 3 last year down to 32% this year, A/TO ratio 3.6 last year down to 1.9 this year. Even on defense, last year 1.0 DBPM, 0.1 this year. In all respects except rebounding, he's much, much worse this year than last.

I know it's probably quite alarmist to be so pessimistic about a team with the best record, but I just don't feel like we're a piece away - a microwave scorer... is what Payne was last year. Shamet's been disappointing, too. Paul's been great, but his 3FG% is down from 39.5% last year to 32.8% this year, FG% down a couple percentage points, FT% down to 83.2% from 93.4% last season. Scoring's just down for a lot of our guys this season.

But if it's not a scoring, a disruptive, energetic wing would also be helpful.

I guess you're saying the guy I'm looking for has to be someone on this roster. Maybe so. I just feel like unless Monty can figure out a way to rev Ayton's motor up to 100, it's not going to be enough. It's not just one game anymore. This happened against the Celtics, too. Most games we just muddle about for three and a half quarters before turning the screws in the fourth. But that's just not going to work in the playoffs, and I don't think this team has what it takes to return to the finals.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#169 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:49 am

Not really any buyout or small trade options I can see to increase our offensive firepower, I think Jones will just hope Payne and Shamet can reach their upside with more continuity.

Payne is playing way faster than the past 2 years, watching his bubble highlights he was steady quick and picked his spots within the offense, this season he's gone a bit Westbrook.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#170 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:15 am

grumpysaddle wrote:Should have kept CamJo starting

It makes no sense whatsoever. He is our best three point shooter, and is better than Crowder. Why wait to get him started? :banghead: Start him, feed him, and everything will open up. Crowder will chuck no matter if he comes off the bench or starts. Honestly, it seems like Monty would rather have guys happy than win games sometimes. Crowder needs to come off the bench, start Camjo!
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,631

Post#171 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:27 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Another big part of this is Cam Payne. I wasn't worried about Payne early in the season, but we're nearly halfway through now... yeesh. 48 FG% last season down to 38% this season, 44% from 3 last year down to 32% this year, A/TO ratio 3.6 last year down to 1.9 this year. Even on defense, last year 1.0 DBPM, 0.1 this year. In all respects except rebounding, he's much, much worse this year than last.

I know it's probably quite alarmist to be so pessimistic about a team with the best record, but I just don't feel like we're a piece away - a microwave scorer... is what Payne was last year. Shamet's been disappointing, too. Paul's been great, but his 3FG% is down from 39.5% last year to 32.8% this year, FG% down a couple percentage points, FT% down to 83.2% from 93.4% last season. Scoring's just down for a lot of our guys this season.

But if it's not a scoring, a disruptive, energetic wing would also be helpful.

I guess you're saying the guy I'm looking for has to be someone on this roster. Maybe so. I just feel like unless Monty can figure out a way to rev Ayton's motor up to 100, it's not going to be enough. It's not just one game anymore. This happened against the Celtics, too. Most games we just muddle about for three and a half quarters before turning the screws in the fourth. But that's just not going to work in the playoffs, and I don't think this team has what it takes to return to the finals.

There isn't really anyone as good as a Payne who's back to last season's level, or a Shamet who's on fire or CP3 hitting a few more 3's or a focused DominAyton in the playoffs. I share your concern but the available options aren't really attractive nor are the attractive options really available. Things might change closer to the trade deadline but as I see it, even the Thad Young trade which I was all over earlier in the season, I've significantly cooled off on because we have good front court depth now. RedIndian mentioned Eric Gordon (as have a few other posters before) who I like but financially it's hard to make happen. We're really looking at the fringes if we want to add to the team.

If you look at the teams in the West, Utah didn't add anyone of note and they are arguably better than last season. Memphis look great this season and it's almost exclusively internal development. I think we're a team that is a good mix of Utah/Memphis in the sense that we are a well-oiled machine who have chemistry, continuity and experience that also has young developing guys. The only real outlier team is GSW who have added solid vets, brought back an all-NBA guy (from injury) and Steph/Draymond are healthy. Everyone else is worse because of decline or major injuries have hit them. As I see it right now, we may not be the THE favourite to win it all (Warriors is that team) but we're a top contender and once the playoffs begin, it's not about who's the better team on paper or who was destroying teams in January but who's the better team on a given night in the playoffs and I think we have those pieces, we just need to be playing like the better team on that night.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#172 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:00 am

I'm curious! We're contenders again right?? But what's our overall record so far against legitimate playoff teams? Both West coast and those on the East coast that we might have to meet if we somehow make it back to the finals. Anyone??.............................

I mean the regular season record is inspiring for sure, and Kudos to our team on that. But shouldn't we also be looking hard at our potential playoff competition. And specifically how we Faried in those matchups taking into account both consistent areas of strength as well as weaknesses that might need to be addressed? Are there any potential disturbing patterns that repeat in these losses? ( areas that opposing teams might look to exploit)?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Post#173 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:22 am

When Ayton got 17 shots when Book was out he scored 28 on 70% shooting. That's the equivalent of shooting 47% from 3. Now, he may not shoot that well all the time but teams don't shoot 47% from 3 often either. If they shoot 40%, which is still above avg, he just needs to hit 60%. He's at 63% for the season which is the equivalent to about 42% from 3.

He just needs more shots. Once he really gets going with more shots he usually shoots better than his avg too.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,458

Post#174 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:33 am

What makes Heat a great team is their quick paced passing resulting in hitting threes. They are basically the LA Clippers of the East. We tend to struggle with those type of teams who play tough defense, make smart passes and can actually hit shots. The Heat, Clippers, Warriors & Jazz are the four teams that come to mind. One of those teams dont really scare me while the other three can beat you in a 7 game series (if all their players are healthy).
handsome salary
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,113

Post#175 » by handsome salary » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:09 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:I'm curious! We're contenders again right?? But what's our overall record so far against legitimate playoff teams? Both West coast and those on the East coast that we might have to meet if we somehow make it back to the finals. Anyone??.............................

I mean the regular season record is inspiring for sure, and Kudos to our team on that. But shouldn't we also be looking hard at our potential playoff competition. And specifically how we Faried in those matchups taking into account both consistent areas of strength as well as weaknesses that might need to be addressed? Are there any potential disturbing patterns that repeat in these losses? ( areas that opposing teams might look to exploit)?

Suns haven't played that many top tier teams yet. No Jazz, Bulls, Bucks, 76rs. Just got blown out by the Heat. Lost 2 of 3 so far to Warrirors. The 2nd half of the season is going to show how much of a threat this team really is.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#176 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:49 pm

I also don't understand why Monty didn't try Payton in this game at point, because Payne was having another off night. Not as bad as that game earlier in the season. Payton is a good defender, and might have done a better job closing out on those perimeter players. He isn't a shooting threat, but he can break down defenses, and is a solid passer.

I just wish Monty would go all out to win games. It just seems like he is happy if the players are happy with him. He needs to be tougher on players, pull players when they are sucking.

Miami shot incredibly, so I am not taking anything away from their game, but it just seems like Monty is ok with losing games. But games against good teams should be close and/or opportunities to rise to the level of the other team.

Return to Phoenix Suns