Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Re: Game 43: Phoenix Suns (33-9) @ San Antonio Spurs (16-27) Monday, Januay 17 

Post#121 » by spanishninja » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:46 am

bwgood77 wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Efficiency is generally referring to scoring efficiency. There's passing efficiency and there's dribble efficiency etc but really, we're talking about scoring efficiency.

As much as I think this is Booker's best season, his scoring efficiency has objectively dropped. Falling below league average is not insignificant, especially when he's shown he can be ELITE in efficiency as just two seasons ago he was averaging 61.8% true shooting which is absolutely phenomenal. Just for reference, he was more efficient than everyone on the team, including Ayton, except for Bridges (62.0% TS) and Cheick Diallo (68.8% TS) and both of these guys are just finishers.

You mentioned KD's TS% drop but that's dropping from big man in the dunker spot efficiency down to well above league league average. Book's 2PT% is cratered and that's largely because he's not attempting nearly as much near the rim as previous seasons. He's taking about 10% of his shots from within 3ft which is a career low and a big reduction from his 20% career average. He's also taking more mid range shots slightly further away than in previous seasons. He's taking almost 40% of his attempts between 10ft and the 3PT line when his career average from there is about 34%. So he's taking fewer shots closer to the rim and overall shooting a lower percentage inside the arc.

The positive as we all know is that he's finally shooting above 40% from the 3PT line which is a pretty major step forward.
i dont know one person who only considers shooting efficiency when talking about offensive efficiency overall. things like turnovers are baked into all the main efficiency metrics, including tpm, bpm and raptor.

anyway, the proof is in the pudding that despite shooting %s being down, he is contributing to team success as well as ever. per36 he is making 1.3 fewer 2FGs (2.6 points) but making 1 more 3FG (3 points). getting to the line a bit less than last year, but that may be a product of shooting less in the paint and/or the rule changes.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

From what I've seen all over the realgm boards and twitter, when people are talking about efficiency, they are talking about scoring efficiency. Even if no one else did mean it that way, that's the way I meant it when I originally mentioned Booker's efficiency, which is why I was talking about shooting.

scoring efficiency isn't just about shooting. a turnover is just as bad as a missed shot when it comes to reducing your scoring.

Return to Phoenix Suns