ImageImageImage

Game 49: San Antonio Spurs (19-31) @ Phoenix Suns (39-9) l Sunday l 6:00pm l BSAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: Game 49: San Antonio Spurs (19-31) @ Phoenix Suns (39-9) l Sunday l 6:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#121 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:22 am

Qwigglez wrote:I don't like Elf in at all. He's so bad offensively. He's good for a third string PG for the regular season but definitely don't want him getting a single minute in the playoffs unless the Suns are up 20 with 2 minutes to go in the 4th.

If everyone is healthy, there is no need for him to play in the playoffs. I think he is fine offensively, he is just used to running the offense. This is what happened to him in NY. They chose to run the offense through Randle, and Elf's numbers dropped dramatically. He was averaging 6-7 assists per game his whole career until NY. I don't mind him in, if there is an injury or foul trouble, but if he is stuck in the corner waiting by the three on offense, he is a waste. Defense, he has been solid, and better than Shamet in my opinion.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Re: Game 49: San Antonio Spurs (19-31) @ Phoenix Suns (39-9) l Sunday l 6:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#122 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:30 am

Barkley6 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:
I like Elf and think he's a great option as a defensive stopper, but aside from that, he's an offensive liability if he's not running point. I agree with you that these lineups ain't it.

I think we should keep him for the season, because I actually think he could have some usefulness in the playoffs as a situational player to cool off or chase around a guard that gets hot, especially when Mikal sits. For example, Clarkson torched us and Elf was the only one who was making his life difficult. So I'd like to have him around for a situation like that. But we desperately need a guard that can score the ball.

I agree completely. Elf is being used wrong when he is in the game. If opposing coaches are telling guys to back off of Payton, what is the point of having him wait by the three? He should go rogue, and start setting a ton of screens for our bigs if they are going to continue to play him off the ball. And Paul and Payne are much better shooters from three, why not have them chill at the three, and let Payton run the offense? It would be like 12 minutes per game at the most if one of our points are injured, and like 4-5 minutes if all three points are healthy.

Agreed. Payton also has decent quickness and has made some really off ball good cuts, why not run a few sets to allow him to cut into the paint and either finish or dish it off? If he's out there with another creator, he needs to be doing more than standing at the 3 where he's no threat.
Maybe he knows that he will get yanked if he doesn't follow the game plan? The only guys that get to do whatever they want are Paul and Booker. I bet CamJo will get demoted to the bench when Crowder is healthy, because he stops standing by the three, and makes cuts to the hoop. Mikal seems to be hesitant to break from the game plan of stand and wait.

Now I could be completely wrong, but it just seems like that.

Just saw the Ingles' injury....ouch, that knee buckling like that. Maybe he can get all those PEDs Giannis took, and he will be back in a week. :wink:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#123 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:38 am

Love Monty

Read on Twitter
?t=D7nRHlKt1G_sBzE0glJFUQ&s=19

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#124 » by Barkley6 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:42 am

RunDogGun wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:I agree completely. Elf is being used wrong when he is in the game. If opposing coaches are telling guys to back off of Payton, what is the point of having him wait by the three? He should go rogue, and start setting a ton of screens for our bigs if they are going to continue to play him off the ball. And Paul and Payne are much better shooters from three, why not have them chill at the three, and let Payton run the offense? It would be like 12 minutes per game at the most if one of our points are injured, and like 4-5 minutes if all three points are healthy.

Agreed. Payton also has decent quickness and has made some really off ball good cuts, why not run a few sets to allow him to cut into the paint and either finish or dish it off? If he's out there with another creator, he needs to be doing more than standing at the 3 where he's no threat.
Maybe he knows that he will get yanked if he doesn't follow the game plan? The only guys that get to do whatever they want are Paul and Booker. I bet CamJo will get demoted to the bench when Crowder is healthy, because he stops standing by the three, and makes cuts to the hoop. Mikal seems to be hesitant to break from the game plan of stand and wait.

Just saw the Ingles' injury....ouch, that knee buckling like that. Maybe he can get all those PEDs Giannis took, and he will be back in a week. :wink:

I think CamJo will continue to come off the bench because if he doesn't, where does our bench scoring come from? Particularly with Payne out.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#125 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:54 am

Barkley6 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:

I think CamJo will continue to come off the bench because if he doesn't, where does our bench scoring come from? Particularly with Payne out.

If he helps the starters more than the bench, and the starters play more minutes, we should not worry about that. Plus we should stagger the starters so at least two are in at all times. He is our best three point shooter, get him going early, and then he will help either unit. I haven't seen many games where we have the whole bench unit in, and really we shouldn't. We need another 2/3 3D player, and run units where one of Paul or Booker are on the floor at all times, while Payne is out. But Payne hasn't been scoring much either, so is there really a difference? Id would much rather have Cam starting, where he is a threat to score 20 any given night, than starting Crowder hoping he can score 15, and waiting for Cam to come into the game to get started with lesser passers or bench point guards. Cam opens the floor better for our guys that play the most minutes.

Plus I think Mikal plays better with Cam.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#126 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:36 am

Haven't seen the stats but I do love the Bridges/Cam pairing on the wings. Bridges is a better cutter and defender but Cam is better at attacking the close out and is only a little worse on D. But I just love the way they really complement each other on both ends of the court. They both have great size and they both just bring something a little different.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,038

Post#127 » by sunsbg » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:46 am

CP3 19a wow. He most likely keeps 1st place in assist leaders though Suns need to figure out a way to rest him in remaining rs games. Bring Dragic, even at his age and after not playing for long can't be worse than Shamet and Payton.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#128 » by Saberestar » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:21 am

CP3 is ridiculous and Monty Williams did a terrific move putting Wainright as a 5 in the fourth quarter.

We have compared him to PJ Tucker before but this game proved that he can be like him FOR REAL.

40-9. I can't believe it. The game was not a good one, but the fourth quarter was very good.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#129 » by spanishninja » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Haven't seen the stats but I do love the Bridges/Cam pairing on the wings. Bridges is a better cutter and defender but Cam is better at attacking the close out and is only a little worse on D. But I just love the way they really complement each other on both ends of the court. They both have great size and they both just bring something a little different.

I've been trying all night to come up with some other examples of "wonder twin" pairings of role players in the league today. Kind of having a rough time. Mikal/Camjo is a very unique combo we have.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#130 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:00 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Haven't seen the stats but I do love the Bridges/Cam pairing on the wings. Bridges is a better cutter and defender but Cam is better at attacking the close out and is only a little worse on D. But I just love the way they really complement each other on both ends of the court. They both have great size and they both just bring something a little different.

Totally agree. I don't know if it was because of the bubble and Oubre going down, putting CamJo into the starting line up, but they are just great team players. They do their job, don't complain much, and are both solid two way players. They both can guard the perimeter, and put up solid defense if taken to the paint. Both seem smart with high basketball IQ. I hope when Crowder returns, Monty keeps the twins together in the starting line up to maximize their playing time together. Then bring Crowder in for whoever is having a rougher start.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#131 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:14 pm

Saberestar wrote:CP3 is ridiculous and Monty Williams did a terrific move putting Wainright as a 5 in the fourth quarter.

We have compared him to PJ Tucker before but this game proved that he can be like him FOR REAL.

40-9. I can't believe it. The game was not a good one, but the fourth quarter was very good.

Sounds like it was Young and CP3 who suggested to put Ish at the five, and Monty went with it. Glad Monty listens to his players and coaches. :wink:
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#132 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:07 pm

This was the first game in a while where Ayton's absence really showed. We went small because despite the stats, Biyombo and McGee were ineffective. The offense stalled with those two on the court and they weren't able to make up for it on the defensive end.

I don't think we would've gone small at the end of the game if Ayton were available. When the offense was stalling out, we would've just dumped it into him in the post. The Spurs' small ball line-ups wouldn't have fared as well with Ayton on the court.

Kinda nice to be reminded of Ayton's value as we continue to crush without him.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#133 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:15 pm

We scored more as the game went on 23, 27, 29, 36.

Ayton's absence hurts us most in 1st quarters if Booker isn't on it's a lot of empty posessions.

Posting up Ayton in the 4th as a go to scorer is something I've never seen though.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,829

Post#134 » by SkyBill40 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:20 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:This was the first game in a while where Ayton's absence really showed. We went small because despite the stats, Biyombo and McGee were ineffective. The offense stalled with those two on the court and they weren't able to make up for it on the defensive end.

I don't think we would've gone small at the end of the game if Ayton were available. When the offense was stalling out, we would've just dumped it into him in the post. The Spurs' small ball line-ups wouldn't have fared as well with Ayton on the court.

Kinda nice to be reminded of Ayton's value as we continue to crush without him.

Williams had another body to throw in there, Smith, who brings energy off the bench and can rebound pretty well. He's spotty at best for scoring, but that isn't what he was needed for last night. I'm not high on the dude nor have I ever been despite some decent outings and production this season, but anything he could have done would have been a help... so long as Williams has the nerve to insert him into the game.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#135 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:02 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:We scored more as the game went on 23, 27, 29, 36.

Ayton's absence hurts us most in 1st quarters if Booker isn't on it's a lot of empty posessions.

Posting up Ayton in the 4th as a go to scorer is something I've never seen though.

Booker needs to stop dominating the shots in the first quarter. It is so much better for the team if Bridges and Johnson get some shots early on. Paul and whoever is at center can get shots throughout the game.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#136 » by Saberestar » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:13 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
Saberestar wrote:CP3 is ridiculous and Monty Williams did a terrific move putting Wainright as a 5 in the fourth quarter.

Sounds like it was Young and CP3 who suggested to put Ish at the five, and Monty went with it. Glad Monty listens to his players and coaches. :wink:

Do you imagine how many suggestions assistants and players make to Monty Williams on every game? It is always HIS decision for good or for bad.

This was a terrific move by Monty.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#137 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:46 pm

Saberestar wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

Do you imagine how many suggestions assistants and players make to Monty Williams on every game? It is always HIS decision for good or for bad.

This was a terrific move by Monty.

How many? :roll: Dude you posted the video of Monty saying Chris suggested it, and then Kevin Young suggested it. And it wasn't until the fourth that he realized the team wasn't stopping it, that he went with their suggestion. Now according to the video, where Monty admits all of this, we don't know when Paul and Young suggested it. So if you want to give Monty the credit, thats cool with me. Next time don't post a video of Monty admitting it was not his move. So yes, its great that we have smart players and smart assistant coaches, and Monty is smart enough to eventually trying their ideas. yeah!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#138 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:08 pm

It's good for any supervisor/head coach to be open to suggestions, listen and implement them. They have talked a lot about open dialogue for people to be able to talk about things on their mind which is a great environment Monty has implemented. That's what you hire good staff and sign a savvy vet like Paul for.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#139 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:It's good for any supervisor/head coach to be open to suggestions, listen and implement them. They have talked a lot about open dialogue for people to be able to talk about things on their mind which is a great environment Monty has implemented. That's what you hire good staff and sign a savvy vet like Paul for.

Totally, its probably why Willie Green was able to add so much on the defensive end for us last year. I was just commenting on giving credit to Monty for something he himself credits CP3 and Young for. It would be great if Monty made those adjustments earlier, instead of waiting for the players to self correct. I think that waiting to adjust had a large part to us getting swept in the finals after leading by two games.

The good news is we have a small ball center that isn't Smith. Gives us options, if we decide to move Smith for a better two guard back up.

Return to Phoenix Suns