ImageImageImage

Game 58: Houston Rockets (15-41) @ Phoenix Suns (47-10) l Wednesday l 7:00pm

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Re: Game 58: Houston Rockets (15-41) @ Phoenix Suns (47-10) l Wednesday l 7:00pm 

Post#181 » by bigfoot » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:42 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Bridges has made enormous strides over the last month or so. I'm starting to doubt the certainty with which I held Ayton>Bridges. Bridges is indispensable. Ayton is very useful, but his motor, focus and intensity come and go. Watching us finish this game with a small ball lineup, I find myself wondering what a future without Ayton might look like.

I think the Suns were up 8 when Monty brought Ayton back and then suddenly Suns were down 3. I know not all his fault but his defense was pretty crappy.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Re: Game 58: Houston Rockets (15-41) @ Phoenix Suns (47-10) l Wednesday l 7:00pm 

Post#182 » by Barkley6 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:43 am

bwgood77 wrote:That Bridges catch and make on the Booker airball reminded me of Kobe/Artest in 2010 WCF game 5.

Now why would you bring that up?
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,176

Post#183 » by Slim Charless » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:43 am

bwgood77 wrote:Nice clutch free throws down the stretch by Book. We needed them and he delivered. Had struggled some earlier in the year.

That the ONLY positive tonight. We need Ice Cold FT Booker come playoff time. I was getting nervous watching him, he's missed way too many this year. Hopefully he shook that off and this version is the 1 we get for the rest of the season.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#184 » by RunDogGun » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:43 am

Just finished band practice, so I only caught the end, and was following during practice. Feel fortunate to pull out that win.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,700

Post#185 » by Qwigglez » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:44 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Bridges has made enormous strides over the last month or so. I'm starting to doubt the certainty with which I held Ayton>Bridges. Bridges is indispensable. Ayton is very useful, but his motor, focus and intensity come and go. Watching us finish this game with a small ball lineup, I find myself wondering what a future without Ayton might look like.

playoff Ayton is very very good. I really hope we just keep them both. Sarver shouldn't make the same mistake three times. One time with Joe Johnson, the next was thinking we'd get similar production from Swift and Childress as we did with Amare.

I do think, Suns will just match any 4 year max that Ayton gets. He can bitch all he wants about hoping the Suns don't match it, but Suns will (hopefully).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,479

Post#186 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:44 am

Depends on the matchups and what kind of other Cs we have. Last year in the playoffs I remember everyone felt if Ayton was out or in foul trouble or fouled out we'd be screwed and any minutes he had to sit were tough. Obviously with McGee that will be different. But he can also only play so many minutes. So you just have to decide how good the alternatives might be. He just had a bad shooting night last night. Tonight a couple were close and rimmed out and a bad turnover but obviously a lot of our guys have a lot of bad turnovers at times. Still one of the most efficient players in the NBA. I know he gets a lot of assisted alley oops and stuff but a lot of bigs just dunk it and finish and stuff. He has more moves/range than most or at least many of them (the ones that don't shoot 3s).

But like I've been saying, if he doesn't agree to less than a max I can see our team wanting to try and find a guy getting paid a bit less who maybe doesn't have nearly the versatility or upside because Ayton is still only 23 and learning, adding stuff like hook shots, etc....and we'd just have to hope we can remain one of the better teams. Will be hard, particularly once we move on from Paul, so you usually pay the premium players. He's better than some guys who have gotten maxes in the past but there are also probably players better than him that didn't get it. I don't know about #1 picks better than him though. #1 picks worse than him did.And a number of others like Otto Porter, etc.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#187 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:51 am

Qwigglez wrote:

playoff Ayton is very very good. I really hope we just keep them both. Sarver shouldn't make the same mistake three times. One time with Joe Johnson, the next was thinking we'd get similar production from Swift and Childress as we did with Amare.

I do think, Suns will just match any 4 year max that Ayton gets. He can bitch all he wants about hoping the Suns don't match it, but Suns will (hopefully).

Ayton won't bitch. He wants to be in Phx. He lets his agent deal with the stuff. The thing is I think if it was just him doing what he wanted to do and not the agents trying to get him the most money he'd take less to stay in Phx.

But he certainly won't ask them not to match. Or at least I'd be shocked. That rarely happens any more though. It's actually been pretty rare that offer sheets are even given and matched. If a team feels another will definitely match they don't give it. If anything we work out some sort of S&T, but he'd have to want to go there and it would probably be a place like Detroit...so would he want that? Maybe Portland but what do they have to send back? Not much.

SA could send back Poeltl and maybe a young player or two and a pick (no, they wouldn't send us Murray GoK).
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#188 » by RaisingArizona » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:53 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Ayton won't bitch. He wants to be in Phx. He lets his agent deal with the stuff. The thing is I think if it was just him doing what he wanted to do and not the agents trying to get him the most money he'd take less to stay in Phx.

But he certainly won't ask them not to match. Or at least I'd be shocked. That rarely happens any more though. It's actually been pretty rare that offer sheets are even given and matched. If a team feels another will definitely match they don't give it. If anything we work out some sort of S&T, but he'd have to want to go there and it would probably be a place like Detroit...so would he want that? Maybe Portland but what do they have to send back? Not much.
I was just going to ask GOK about possible sign and trade destinations. Beat me to it
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#189 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:54 am

Barkley6 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:That Bridges catch and make on the Booker airball reminded me of Kobe/Artest in 2010 WCF game 5.

Now why would you bring that up?

Well, when that is ingrained in your mind and it looked almost identical, it's hard not to remember.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,933

Post#190 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:54 am

A win is a win. I'll take it.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#191 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:54 am

RaisingArizona wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

I was just going to ask GOK about possible sign and trade destinations. Beat me to it

Funny you quoted this while I was editing and adding something to the end. Go back and look at the end now.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#192 » by RaisingArizona » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Funny you quoted this while I was editing and adding something to the end. Go back and look at the end now.
Lol let the Dejounte Murray fantasy trades commence
PittsburghSuns
Junior
And1: 289

Post#193 » by PittsburghSuns » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:02 am

Man what a bummer if CP3 broke his thumb. Guess he will have plenty of rest now though before the playoffs.
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,948

Post#194 » by KLEON » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:03 am

Haven't been here in ages but this Ayton situation should be interesting in the offseason, championship or not. Btw it really hurts seeing Biyambo not playing because we need his high energy every night and he more than deserves to play
Hsker4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,263

Post#195 » by Hsker4Life » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:15 am

The Good:

1. Holiday - Love his tenacity! He has overtaken Elf, and that makes me happy. He does have a tendency to throw some wild passes though.

2. Bridges. There is a big 3 in PHX, but Ayton isn’t the 3rd. It’s Bridges. He saved us in back-to-back nights. When the team lacked effort all night, he brought it. Him, Holiday, and the next guy all played with great effort.

3. Craig. Great hustle plays tonight and also hit a huge 3. The additions of him and Holiday are huge

The Bad:

1. Ayton. Another bad game with him getting outplayed by what should be a very inferior big man. He’s too soft, still, and looked a step behind out there tonight. I like DA, we are better with him, but games like these last two are why I don’t think he’s worth a MAX.

2. Effort for 3 quarters. We came out flat again. Defensive breakdowns, turnovers, missing wide open shots, giving up offensive rebound after offensive rebound to a team playing so small.

The Ugly:

1. That broadcast duo. Holy crap. We get it, the Rockets were short-handed. But tell us it 39 times anyways.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,829

Post#196 » by SkyBill40 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:17 am

Well, well. They managed to squeak it out. I guess we'll just have to take it and be thankful Gordon drew air on that last heave.
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#197 » by Mjee » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:20 am

Oh man guys … I am worried about CP3

I hope it’s nothing too serious

Fml
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,499

Post#198 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:21 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=BWL5hye1Qmyjj21SQA0s4g
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#199 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:22 am

Mjee wrote:Oh man guys … I am worried about CP3

I hope it’s nothing too serious

Fml

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#200 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:23 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns