ImageImageImage

Game 60: New Orleans Pelicans (23-36) @ Phoenix Suns (49-10) l Friday l 7:00pm

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Re: Game 60: New Orleans Pelicans (23-36) @ Phoenix Suns (49-10) l Friday l 7:00pm 

Post#201 » by King4Day » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:44 am

RunDogGun wrote:
King4Day wrote:In the future, I really want to see Monty recognize when this team is lethargic early. If the starters don't feel like playing, get Biz in there. He always has energy. Maybe that'll spark others

I just want him to coach. He lets the players run the game. And I guess that works when we have a floor general like Paul in the game. I still don't understand him playing Elf as the off guard.

Just limited in who we are can use as that off guard.
Shamet can't shoot and neither can Elf. So, it lets other teams double Book with no fear.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,176

Re: Game 60: New Orleans Pelicans (23-36) @ Phoenix Suns (49-10) l Friday l 7:00pm 

Post#202 » by Slim Charless » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:46 am

RedIndian wrote:I think one thing is clear the Payton is done here. If Monty can't get him minutes when Paul, Payne and Holiday are out, no point keeping him. Waive him and convert Wainwright's 2-way into a regular roster spot.

This.

Cut his ass. At the very least we'll have an open spot available when the buyout guys hit the market.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#203 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:52 am

bwgood77 wrote:Feels weird to lose to a team with a really bad record. We haven't lost to someone who had a really bad record at the time. We did lose to Portland and Sac in our first 4 games, but they didn't have bad records yet....even if you consider them, that's a LONG way back since our last loss to a bad team.

In all fairness, the waterbirds have been good after a slow start (i believe they're above .500 after a 1-12 start), and they upgraded their team at the deadline by adding McCollum. They're a lot better than their team record indicates and are playing for a play-in spot.
Spoiler:
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#204 » by Frank Lee » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:53 am

Herb Jones is a stifler
What ? Me Worry ?
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#205 » by spanishninja » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:55 am

Frank Lee wrote:Herb Jones is a stifler

they see him as their version of Mikal, based on what i've read. untouchable in trades and all that.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#206 » by RunDogGun » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:55 am

King4Day wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
King4Day wrote:In the future, I really want to see Monty recognize when this team is lethargic early. If the starters don't feel like playing, get Biz in there. He always has energy. Maybe that'll spark others

I just want him to coach. He lets the players run the game. And I guess that works when we have a floor general like Paul in the game. I still don't understand him playing Elf as the off guard.

Just limited in who we are can use as that off guard.
Shamet can't shoot and neither can Elf. So, it lets other teams double Book with no fear.

But most of the time Elf is in, we don't let him run the offense. Booker did, or even Crowder did. It leaves Elf standing around waiting for a pass. Now I agree he should then be doing more like setting back screens, but that hasn't ever been his game. He has always been the point guard that has the ball in his hands, and he cuts and dishes. But if we continue to play him off the ball, he has little to no use, and that is on the coach. We all know Elf has struggled shooting, heck every team. knows he has been struggling. While he is in, let him run the point, or don't put him out there. I don't understand what Monty is doing. Like I said before, it seems like Monty is purposely sabotaging certain players, while kissing other players' arses, and let them do whatever they want. Just coach! I mean we needed a spark so many times in this game, and Biz only gets garbage minutes. :banghead: We need a point guard, and we have Elf play off the ball. :banghead:

I just hope Payne is ready, because at least he can play the off guard position if Book takes over the point guard duties.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#207 » by RunDogGun » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:02 am

Man, if Torrey could have hit some of his shots tonight, he would have had a killer stat line. 11 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, two blocks in 25 minutes.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#208 » by King4Day » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:13 am

I know most hate Flex but he's usually very positive, even after losses. To hear him lay in on Shamet (basically giving up on him) was surprising.

When we're healthy, there's no doubt Payne and Holiday are going to take all of the backup minutes.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#209 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:14 am

lilfishi22 wrote:The OKC game felt more of a fluke and lack of experience/talent on their side than the Suns playing their patented "come through in the clutch" type of game. We are missing our three key PG's and that obviously hurts our depth and perhaps it means Book and other guards has to work a lot harder but it felt like everyone lacked energy out there especially on the defensive end. There wasn't much more than a 5min stretch the entire game where I thought we played with good energy and hustle.

Part of that probably is playing in a b2b after a week off while also being shorthanded. I don't usually think b2bs are that big of a deal for a young team like ours, but when you are missing your leader and PG along with your backup PG and your new PG who is looking good, it's tough. I think people were probably pretty tired.

I think the Utah game will really show how good we are without Paul, but we really need at least one of Payne or Holiday back or it will be tough regardless.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#210 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:16 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Feels weird to lose to a team with a really bad record. We haven't lost to someone who had a really bad record at the time. We did lose to Portland and Sac in our first 4 games, but they didn't have bad records yet....even if you consider them, that's a LONG way back since our last loss to a bad team.

In all fairness, the waterbirds have been good after a slow start (i believe they're above .500 after a 1-12 start), and they upgraded their team at the deadline by adding McCollum. They're a lot better than their team record indicates and are playing for a play-in spot.

True. It would be interesting to see how good they'd be if Zion ever comes back.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#211 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:24 am

King4Day wrote:I know most hate Flex but he's usually very positive, even after losses. To hear him lay in on Shamet (basically giving up on him) was surprising.

When we're healthy, there's no doubt Payne and Holiday are going to take all of the backup minutes.

I didn't see a tweet from him. Did he say it on a post game podcast or something?
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#212 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:31 am

Did anyone else find it funny that Landry Shamet was running point in the first half? That’s how bad we had it today. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#213 » by Revived » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:36 am

RedIndian wrote:How many good games has Shamet had for us? Jones' worst acquisition.

To be fair that’s all on Monty. I bet James Jones and Sarver cared close to little about Shamet but Monty was clamoring for him because he’s such a nice kid off the court or something apparently. Monty said he basically fell in love with him during their time in Philly.

He’s pure trash on the basketball court. I remember when the trade was made I said how we could’ve had Langston Galloway for the vet min and he could provide some of what Shamet does instead of throwing away a 1st rd pick for him.

But I was wrong…Langston Galloway could provide more than Shamet. Galloway could actually dribble drive a little and wasn’t as much of a turnstile defensively. And Galloway is a guy who is in the G league now and hasn’t been touched by an NBA team yet…what does that say when the guy they commit a guaranteed $20 million to is worse than a guy that’s playing in the G league.
Revived
RealGM

Post#214 » by Revived » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:40 am

Booker had an off game but he was due for one especially after having to carry the team on his back yesterday both offensively and defensively.

Overall, its gonna be tough to win games without the first three PGs on the depth chart. Wish they weren’t so shady about reporting on Payne’s injury. Guy’s missed now like 25+ games with a wrist injury that they had initially said was nothing significant.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Game 60: New Orleans Pelicans (23-36) @ Phoenix Suns (49-10) l Friday l 7:00pm 

Post#215 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:41 am

Revived wrote:
RedIndian wrote:How many good games has Shamet had for us? Jones' worst acquisition.

To be fair that’s all on Monty. I bet James Jones and Sarver cared close to little about Shamet but Monty was clamoring for him because he’s such a nice kid off the court or something apparently. Monty said he basically fell in love with him during their time in Philly.

He’s pure trash on the basketball court. I remember when the trade was made I said how we could’ve had Langston Galloway for the vet min and he could provide some of what Shamet does instead of throwing away a 1st rd pick for him.

But I was wrong…Langston Galloway could provide more than Shamet. Galloway could actually dribble drive a little and wasn’t as much of a turnstile defensively. And Galloway is a guy who is in the G league now and hasn’t been touched by an NBA team yet…what does that say when the guy they commit a guaranteed $20 million to is worse than a guy that’s playing in the G league.

You find any way to throw crap at Monty huh lol

Revived
RealGM

Post#216 » by Revived » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:44 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:
Revived wrote:

You find any way to throw crap at Monty huh lol

Lol is any part of what I said wrong? You want the zillion quotes from Monty about how much he loved Shamet so much that he would’ve had Shamet marry his daughter if he had one? How many coaches say that about some player that their coaching?
Revived
RealGM

Post#217 » by Revived » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:48 am

At least this Lakers game is making up for the Suns loss. Love to see LeBron like this.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#218 » by RunDogGun » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:52 am

It is crazy to see LAC beat LAL with James, Carmelo, Westbrook, THT, and Howard having solid games. Lue always has his team ready to go.
Revived
RealGM

Post#219 » by Revived » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:54 am

Read on Twitter
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#220 » by RunDogGun » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:01 am

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

That is funny. But anyone thinking Elf is anything but a point guard, and then expecting him to be good off the ball, then there lies the problem. Shamet is a chucker, and that is his only skill. He can get streaky, but will get exploited on the defensive end.

But this is a coaching error on both players. Playing Elf as the off ball guard, or standing at the three on the offense, which is our offense, expecting anything but an occasional made basket....well ok. Shamet getting so many minutes this year, and that contract with what I knew he would produce...that is all on Monty. Just imagine if we just kept Carter and drafted Ayo, we wouldn't have either Elf or Shamet, and that is on Jones.

Return to Phoenix Suns