ImageImageImage

Could Jeff Teague help our mess at PG?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,806

Could Jeff Teague help our mess at PG? 

Post#1 » by SkyBill40 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:25 pm

Clearly we've got an issue at PG, with Chris Paul being out for several weeks with an avulsion fracture and Can Payne still out with a wrist sprain. Elfrid Payton hasn't been the same player for us he was while playing for the Knicks. Now, recently acquired Aaron Holiday went down with an injury as well.

There are a few decently capable players out there who might be able to give us the lift we need to get us through this patch of unfortunate luck. One of them is Jeff Teague.

Last season, he won a title with the Bucks and has had a productive career for several teams. He also has a career assist average above 5 APG, so that's a bonus and a sign that he can distribute while taking pressure off Booker to play point.

Thoughts?

Sports Illustrated: Opinion: The Suns Should Sign This Former All-Star Point Guard.
https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/news/opinion-the-suns-should-sign-this-former-all-star-point-guard-jeff-teague

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Re: Could Jeff Teague help our mess at PG? 

Post#2 » by Saberestar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:33 pm

Jeff Teague is done.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by SkyBill40 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:41 pm

Saberestar wrote:Jeff Teague is done.
From the look of the team's PG play last night, so are many of the people we have on our roster. Teague could help and is easily better than some of the backups we have.

Another SI story mentioned Isaiah Thomas. I'm definitely not interested in seeing him back here given the drama his acquisition caused in the first place, but I did appreciate his play and think he deserves another chance somewhere. It just won't be here no matter how dire our situation becomes. Dragic would have been nice, but Sarver saw to doing him dirty a second time.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,561

Post#4 » by Calvin Klein » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:58 pm

I think Knicks fans will tell you Elfrid has been the same as he was for them
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Post#5 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:32 pm

There'd be nothing wrong with giving Teague a shot on a 10 day contract. He can shoot, he can pass, he can handle the ball. He's a veteran with plenty of experience. Payton should not be shooting ( like at all, ever)! But he should be/ could be bringing the ball up and cutting to the rim/ playing defense. That's his role with us currently. PERIOD!!! NEVER as a SG who CAN'T SHOOT! :banghead: He can still play defense, bring the ball up the court and pass.

But with Holiday out, We should absolutely consider a 10 day option! Teague, DJ Augustine, Mario Chalmers, Matt Dellavedova, etc would all be more than optimal for our needs until Payne/ Paul get back!! :wink:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:40 pm

At least he can shoot and would be better than Payton, but Payton's already been with the team. So maybe best to stick with him. Though if Payton was cut we wouldn't see tons of posts about him so maybe it would be worth it.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#7 » by RunDogGun » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:06 pm

bwgood77 wrote:At least he can shoot and would be better than Payton, but Payton's already been with the team. So maybe best to stick with him. Though if Payton was cut we wouldn't see tons of posts about him so maybe it would be worth it.

See, you specifically are calling out another poster to be snide. Passive aggressive is weak, dude. But I guess constantly going after posters is ok for mods. :roll:

I would be fine with cutting Payton, then we won't have to watch Monty constantly playing him out of position over and over. :D
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#8 » by RunDogGun » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:13 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:There'd be nothing wrong with giving Teague a shot on a 10 day contract. He can shoot, he can pass, he can handle the ball. He's a veteran with plenty of experience. Payton should not be shooting ( like at all, ever)! But he should be/ could be bringing the ball up and cutting to the rim/ playing defense. That's his role with us currently. PERIOD!!! NEVER as a SG who CAN'T SHOOT! :banghead: He can still play defense, bring the ball up the court and pass.

But with Holiday out, We should absolutely consider a 10 day option! Teague, DJ Augustine, Mario Chalmers, Matt Dellavedova, etc would all be more than optimal for our needs until Payne/ Paul get back!! :wink:

We would need to cut someone. But maybe a 10 day would work. If Frank can't play this season, it should be him getting cut.

Honestly, I would rather try a combo guard on a two way contract. Maybe someone who has potential and could learn from Paul for the future. That way we don't have to cut anyone.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#9 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:14 pm

There are lots of posts about him good and bad. I personally would rather read about other players. There were tons of posts about him on the Knicks board last year too....all bad though. Just kind of tired of reading about him. He is what he is. A minimum guy who has had a lot of chances that no team really wants, who makes lineups worse and has a putrid net rating.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#10 » by RunDogGun » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:15 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:I think Knicks fans will tell you Elfrid has been the same as he was for them

Not shocking, he was used the same way.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#11 » by Saberestar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:11 pm

Aaron Holiday has been upgraded to questionable for tomorrow, so he is coming back in the next few days for sure.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#12 » by RunDogGun » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:19 pm

Saberestar wrote:Aaron Holiday has been upgraded to questionable for tomorrow, so he is coming back in the next few days for sure.

That is good news for the team. We may want all our players to invest in better ankle support for the rest of the season though. :D
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Post#13 » by spanishninja » Tue Mar 1, 2022 12:59 am

JJ if you're gonna do something do it soon. Looks like Augustin is signing with the Lakers.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#14 » by Revived » Tue Mar 1, 2022 1:38 am

I would’ve liked Tomas Satoransky but looks like he got picked up by Wizards.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#15 » by Qwigglez » Tue Mar 1, 2022 2:22 am

I’d prefer him over Payton.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#16 » by suns12345 » Tue Mar 1, 2022 2:58 am

The grass isnt always greener dudes,

Don't get obsessed with changing someone average for someone average
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,329

Post#17 » by TASTIC » Tue Mar 1, 2022 10:42 pm

Rather go for a defensive PG like Kris Dunn or Shaq Harrison than an old dog like Teague. Javale agrees with Shaq.

Jerome Robinson's not bad, neither is Wanamaker.

SkyBill40
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by SkyBill40 » Tue Mar 1, 2022 11:04 pm

TASTIC wrote:Rather go for a defensive PG like Kris Dunn or Shaq Harrison than an old dog like Teague. Javale agrees with Shaq.

it's been a while, but we've already been down the Shaq Harrison road. He wasn't it then and isn't really it now. Dunn wouldn't be terrible but I'd have to wonder about how much money we have to sign anyone at this point? We'd definitely have to cut someone and that means their salary counts against the cap and we're already right at it or possibly over it.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#19 » by RunDogGun » Tue Mar 1, 2022 11:57 pm

SkyBill40 wrote:
TASTIC wrote:Rather go for a defensive PG like Kris Dunn or Shaq Harrison than an old dog like Teague. Javale agrees with Shaq.

it's been a while, but we've already been down the Shaq Harrison road. He wasn't it then and isn't really it now. Dunn wouldn't be terrible but I'd have to wonder about how much money we have to sign anyone at this point? We'd definitely have to cut someone and that means their salary counts against the cap and we're already right at it or possibly over it.

I think we are $2.8 mil under the luxury. That is what we could have offered Goran and still be under.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#20 » by El Hespiritu » Wed Mar 2, 2022 1:43 pm

No.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea

Return to Phoenix Suns