ImageImageImage

Game 66: Phoenix Suns (52-13) @ Miami Heat (44-22) | Wednesday | 5.30pm AZT |

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Re: Game 66: Phoenix Suns (52-13) @ Miami Heat (44-22) | Wednesday | 5.30pm AZT | 

Post#161 » by suns12345 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:43 am

sunsbg wrote:Quite different doing something professionally and watching from outside. That said, Monty should have pulled the starters out earlier. It's like he's looking at the garbage time as 5 on 5 practice time.

Yeh, I personally don't think this is a question of Monty's coaching ability. In my experience (albeit at a non-nba standard but still decent serious bball standard) some coaches are just so reluctant to put the scrubs in the game - even if the game is obviously won.

Not sure why that is, but monty seems like that guy.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: Game 66: Phoenix Suns (52-13) @ Miami Heat (44-22) | Wednesday | 5.30pm AZT | 

Post#162 » by RunDogGun » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:55 am

suns12345 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Quite different doing something professionally and watching from outside. That said, Monty should have pulled the starters out earlier. It's like he's looking at the garbage time as 5 on 5 practice time.

Yeh, I personally don't think this is a question of Monty's coaching ability. In my experience (albeit at a non-nba standard but still decent serious bball standard) some coaches are just so reluctant to put the scrubs in the game - even if the game is obviously won.

Not sure why that is, but monty seems like that guy.

Overall though, we don't have any scrubs. We have guys that many fans might think are scrubs. I think what bothers most was earlier in the season when Monty left Johnson in the game when there was no real reason to do so, and Johnson got injured. Ok that may happen, but Monty then agreed it was a bad choice by him. So to potentially do it again, this is the third time, it doesn't seem like he is learning from what he says was a mistake. So if he himself says it was a bad move, why do the same move multiple times?

But overall, if we can't question Monty on anything, he better be near perfect. He is human, and will make mistakes, and it doesn't take an NBA coach to recognize those mistake.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#163 » by RunDogGun » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:01 am

Sure, hindsight is always 20/20, but most of us have been playing this sport for 30-40 years, and have played on multiple levels, been coached by multiple coaches, or have coached ourselves. Just because it isn't an NBA team, its still basketball. Just because we later choose a different profession, shouldn't exclude us from having opinions.

I am not trying to single you out, just referring to the initial thought of we can't question Monty because he is an NBA coach.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#164 » by suns12345 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:14 am

RunDogGun wrote:

Sure, hindsight is always 20/20, but most of us have been playing this sport for 30-40 years, and have played on multiple levels, been coached by multiple coaches, or have coached ourselves. Just because it isn't an NBA team, its still basketball. Just because we later choose a different profession, shouldn't exclude us from having opinions.

I am not trying to single you out, just referring to the initial thought of we can't question Monty because he is an NBA coach.

I think thats a fair take.

I think a more relevant point is we can't claim to know exactly what is going on in the organisation/behind the scenes - which might be influencing decisions.

That's not relevant to this garbage time conversation but just something to keep in mind.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#165 » by RunDogGun » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:25 am

suns12345 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

I think thats a fair take.

I think a more relevant point is we can't claim to know exactly what is going on in the organisation/behind the scenes - which might be influencing decisions.

That's not relevant to this garbage time conversation but just something to keep in mind.
Very true, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but overall, it seems like Monty has free reign to make in game coaching choices, and sometimes he is a bit slow to make them. That timeout late in the game a while back comes to mind.

Return to Phoenix Suns