ImageImageImage

Game 67: Toronto Raptors (35-30) @ Phoenix Suns (53-13) l Friday l 7:00pm l BSAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Predict Payne's assist, Booker's points & Ayton's rebound totals.

3-5 assists
No votes
6-7 assists
4%
8+ assists
29%
22-25 pts
13%
26-29 pts
17%
30+ pts
4%
6-8 reb
No votes
9-11 reb
21%
12+ reb
13%

Total votes: 24

Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,172

Re: Game 67: Toronto Raptors (35-30) @ Phoenix Suns (53-13) l Friday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#221 » by Slim Charless » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:22 pm

Puff wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:
“Plenty of blocks”

Ayton has 1 block in the last 6 games
Bismack 5 blocks in the last 6 games
McGee 11 blocks in the last 6 games

Pretty sad stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:roll:

I love how every lose is his fault. Yet no one has mentioned how GTJ demolished us...and our 21M defender just like how Midds worked us (Mikal) on Sunday.

Jesus. You guys seriously believe that McGee and Biyombo are better. Amazing.

How can you possibly defend the performance of, (Once a Week). Ayton Stunk it up along with several other players. Payne was our best player last night and it isn't even close. How can you defend Ayton? He had zero impact last night, just open your eyes. Monty should not have subbed him in for McGee. Of course McGee was tired, he played his arse off last night. Ayton was sleep walking most of the night.

Sleepwalking into a 8/10 night and 9 boards is pretty good.

What's your opinion on Mikal and how he played last night?
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Re: Game 67: Toronto Raptors (35-30) @ Phoenix Suns (53-13) l Friday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#222 » by NapoleonII » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:25 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:Pretty sure the Suns medical staff/his agent would not let Ayton play if his ankle was bothering him - no need to put excuses for him. Happy you guys notice that he can play better, though. He definitely doesn’t look like a player that is trying to prove he’s worth a max. I hope that helps the Suns.

Yeah, this flies in the face of how injuries actually work in the NBA.

This isn't NBA 2k. Everything has levels of recovery, comfort. An injury could totally still be bothering a player that is seeing his normal number of minutes. Doctors generally tell a player if they could get MORE injured playing.
pj0tr
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#223 » by pj0tr » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:28 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
pj0tr wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:I just want blame to fairly measured out. I'm not an Ayton apologist and crap on him when needed. Hell, I said I'd be fine trading him for Zion or KAT.

Zion? Hell no.

KAT? Ayton literally just had the most efficient postseason by a big man in NBA history, and was able to stay on the floor against small lineups.

KAT is going to get picked on repeatedly in a 2/7 matchup with Golden State or Memphis.

I can't believe some of you guys are completely for trading this guy.

See, this is the funny circle I go around in this thread. Between defending DA and saying that we'd be better trading him lol.

FTR: I think that KAT is off limits anyway, Minnesota is gonna make the playoffs and they finally look to be on the right path. Now, Zion on the other hand is an entirely different situation.

We can absolutely make that happen, and should if possible. Our chemistry and team make-up won't allow him to be a fat ass. He'll get in the locker room with our guys and they'll straighten him up. Let's all remember how good he looked last year and his solo yr at Duke....we'll get that Zion.

For him, I'd trade Ayton.

Zion wants to be in NY dude - what is the point? And IDC how good he looked - he can't stay on the floor period.

Hes been in the NBA for 3 years and still hasn't got his weight and conditioning straightened out.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#224 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:25 pm

dremill24 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
dremill24 wrote:
It was just a particularly painful effort. Shots go up all game and sometimes they go in, sometimes they dont so those types of things arent going to draw the same type type of reactions. When the ball falls into the hands of the biggest/strongest guy on the court and he fumbles around with it and gets it taken away by a guy half his size, thats the kind of result that is much more unexpected than a guy missing a shot. Ayton was far from the reason for the team's loss, and he's a great player, its just that this was a particularly bad play from him right at the end.

I can't disagree with that. He definitely should have gotten that one, but I also thought late game execeution was awful and lazy..wait until doubled, make bad passes, take terrible shots..nothing was fluid at all. It looked like the exact opposite of when Paul is playing down the stretch or even in recent games without him.

Yeah the last two minutes were terrible and infinitely more impactful to the loss than that one Ayton play (we also had 46 other minutes to not play like ass too). The other part Im seeing is that play sorta feeds the concerns about Ayton and his agressiveness/functional strength/toughness. My take from most of the posts are just exacerbating that idea more than them blaming it for the loss.

I understand concerns about the aggressiveness, functional strength and toughness. We've seen all 3 at times, but not nearly most of the time. However, I do feel that if he was used as our primary scoring option or co-primary scoring option consistently in game plans, that would be a little different. Should it be? No, but I think that goes for any player who is used to and could be a star. I think if we were running plays for him and really going through him he would develop offensively much more quickly, and also be consistently much more aggressive on offense, and I think he would likely be more in the flow and show a little more strength and toughness.

Overall he is more of a finesse player though. When you see those huge 17-19 rebounding games it's also usually when he gets more than 20 pts, and I don't think that's a coincidenct. When he gets 8 shots and 12-15 points or whatever, you usually see fewer rebounds as well.

Guys should remain consistently vested but I think as Redick recently mentioned, not only is it a lot harder to get into the flow of your game when you don't know when you are going to play (not in Ayton's case here), I think it's much tougher to get into the flow of your game when you don't know when you are going to get the ball or how many shots to expect. Amare, for example, his game with Nash was the #1 option most all the time.

I am more concerned with the strength and toughness than the aggressiveness, though I guess with aggressiveness I'm thinking about offense. Primarily I'm not as concerned as others with that since he's so effiicent anyway. I do feel he could get better positioning down low sometimes, but the good thing is, even in the midrange, he is extremely efficient, much moreso than even Booker who is a great midrange scorer himself.

3-10 ft - Ayton 62%, Booker 45%
10-16 ft -Ayton 52%, Booker 45.7%

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aytonde01/shooting/2022
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bookede01/shooting/2022

As for the toughness and strength, I think although he's shown it at times, particulalry in the playoff matching up with big names, I think he gets a little more flustered with double teams (which sometimes happens less in the playoffs going against bigger names) and part of it is age..I think players often utilize their strength more and play with more toughness as their career progresses.

For example, once again I'll use Booker since he's the one player who's been around more than a few years, I think he plays with much more toughness and uses strength than he did during his rookie deal.

I think most Cs on rookie deals or at the age of 23 don't play with a ton of toughness, but they develop later. Some of the better bigs in this day don't play with a lot of toughness.

My biggest concern as of late is actually rebounding...but as others have mentioned I suspect it has to do with his injury and being able to jump.

But you will also see, when our whole team is vested in rebounding and it's not him going against 2 or 3 people where he more often has to try and tip it to himself because it is then harder to just grab it with more guys going against you, the whole team does better. We need at least 2 players crashing the boards, but 3 should be down there if possible to make sure more guys are properly boxed out. Every defensive player will be closer to the basket when a shot goes up, so they should not be letting multiple offensive guys get through.

The best rebounding teams end up with multiple guys having 7+ rebounds and not just one guy getting all of them. Teams average about 45 rebounds a game and the player who gets the most (in part because he doesn't switch and stays near the basket) is Gobert at 14.7, but only 3 guys get more than 12 a game.

Since injury, not only has his rebounding been significantly worse overall, but has probably been worse than at any time of his career.

But, overall, I think he will have some of these weaknesses, but he also has great strengths by probably being the most efficient (o if not, close to) efficient Cs (or even players) in the NBA and has the elite hook shot but also can score in multiple other ways and is extremely efficient out to 16 feet. I think within a year he will probably be able to shoot in the mid 30% range from 3 on higher volume (he is actually 35.7% from 3 this year on 14 shots).

I also see posts about him not contesting shots when he is great with this on all positions and although he doesn't get a lot of blocks, he makes shots tougher for everyone and often is right on them to where they can't get a good shot off and have to pass out. Sure, some guys, particularly smaller guards get by him, but no C is effective as switching or staying in front of any of those guys.

There are valid complaints about him but there are so many lazy ones as well.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#225 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:33 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
I've read this whole thread. I didn't see any Mikal bashing....he gets off easy amongst this board for some reason.

We're paying him to stop guys like GTJ and Midds, and slow down the Lebrons and KDs....yet here we are with 2 loses that can placed SQUARELY on him and its just more Ayton talk.

In the blame ladder the guy who shot 8/10 is much less at fault then the guy who allowed Gary Trent Jr to go off for almost a career high.

It was more of a "whoever is guarding Trent needs to step it up" than calling out any one player in particular seeing that they were often switching on him.

But that takes me back to my original point about him needing to fight through these screens. If we're paying him to be a stopper and he isn't stopping then what exactly is the point?

You think Bruce Bowen (ugh), Scottie Pippen, Tony Allen or any of the perimeter defenders of the past wouldn't have fought through and tried to lock down Mids last week or GTJ tonight?

No. Is the correct answer.

Mikal doesn't as many of the responsibilities that Ayton has and allowed an opposing player to kill us and in doing so lost us 2 games in the last week.

I don't see how anyone could blame Mikal for much in any game. He may have some off shooting days, but not often. He is our best all around player outside of Paul. No one shuts down the stars...but he is still one of the best defenders in the NBA and one of the most efficient wings as well (though not as good from 3 as last year). Probably most of the times guys go off though is when they have switched and they take advantage of Booker or our weakest defender in there. Bridges could fight through screens but most of the time you do that it's too late regardless of how well you get through them. The whole point of a screen is to get a guy open for a split second so his defender isn't right on him.

Overall we have one of the best defenses in the league and our best defenders are Bridges and then Crowder/Ayton (or Ayton clearly 2nd if he is really on his game, like in the playoffs)...though Ayton has a lot tougher defensive assignment than Crowder too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#226 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:48 pm

Puff wrote:The proof is in the numbers, that is Ayton's numbers.

McGee and Biyombo should have played all 48 minutes and they are not asking for a max contract.

They can't play that many minutes. Our offense would be awful with them in there without Ayton's gravity. The reason they play with so much energy is because they come in for 4 or 5 minutes at at time at the most.

Why do you think guys like this are available at the minimum or for $5 million? They are career backups who are guys you bring in for some energy minutes.

McGee also turns it over too much and just makes boneheaded plays. Biyombo can't shoot. Neither really can outside of about 5 feet. Biyombo's career high in PPG is 6. His career high in rpg is 8. Career high.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#227 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:54 pm

NapoleonII wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:Pretty sure the Suns medical staff/his agent would not let Ayton play if his ankle was bothering him - no need to put excuses for him. Happy you guys notice that he can play better, though. He definitely doesn’t look like a player that is trying to prove he’s worth a max. I hope that helps the Suns.

Yeah, this flies in the face of how injuries actually work in the NBA.

This isn't NBA 2k. Everything has levels of recovery, comfort. An injury could totally still be bothering a player that is seeing his normal number of minutes. Doctors generally tell a player if they could get MORE injured playing.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Not only does he want to play, if he can play, even at the level he has, without further injuring it, him, his agent and the team would rather he play. Besides, if he didn't, jdiddy and puff would be claiming he only had an ankle injury and needs to man up or something like that or if the injury was slight talk about how Paul and others play through injuries.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#228 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:01 am

Puff wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:Unfortunately, someone will give him a max and Suns will be forced to match. We’ll be stuck with a crappy contract.

Pretty random for everyone but when have you ever seen Ayton contests shots like McGee and Bismack do? I’ve never seen Ayton come out of no where to get a hustle block. Dude is so lazy.

He contests more shots than just about anyone in the NBA. Blocks are nice, but it's an overly simple way to look at things. He is 7th in the NBA in contested shots. He causes tough shots all the time that people often miss and he often also makes people pass out because they can't even attempt a good shot. When you play a lot of minutes you can't chase too many blocks while still being able to recover as well as avoid fouls.

But I do really like McGee and especially Biyombo's energy in trying to contest shots and the blocks are good to see.

How in the world can you defend.

Zero Blocks and Zero personal fouls for the anchor of our defense in a game as competitive as last night?

It makes no sense. Give credit where credit is due. Ayton was not a factor last night. Just admit it for once. He was great against Miami but that was against a small center and everyone else shooting jumpers. He was awful like several other players last night.

I've already talked about blocks and how that is a dumb simplistic way to measure anything about how good a defender is. He is 7th in the NBA at contesting shots. You try to block too many shots you risk getting out of position and letting a guy get by you or not being able to move and help if he passes to someone else.

As for fouls, he used to foul a lot until they taught him how to be a great defender without fouling. He can't go back to before where his defense was worse and he fouled. He will still get in foul trouble sometimes in the playoffs or against a guy like KAT or maybe Embiid and we are infinitely worse when he has to sit for this against good teams in a playoff atmosphere. The best defenders do so without fouling or fouling much.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,412

Post#229 » by dremill24 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:16 am

bwgood77 wrote:
dremill24 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I can't disagree with that. He definitely should have gotten that one, but I also thought late game execeution was awful and lazy..wait until doubled, make bad passes, take terrible shots..nothing was fluid at all. It looked like the exact opposite of when Paul is playing down the stretch or even in recent games without him.

Yeah the last two minutes were terrible and infinitely more impactful to the loss than that one Ayton play (we also had 46 other minutes to not play like ass too). The other part Im seeing is that play sorta feeds the concerns about Ayton and his agressiveness/functional strength/toughness. My take from most of the posts are just exacerbating that idea more than them blaming it for the loss.

I understand concerns about the aggressiveness, functional strength and toughness. We've seen all 3 at times, but not nearly most of the time. However, I do feel that if he was used as our primary scoring option or co-primary scoring option consistently in game plans, that would be a little different. Should it be? No, but I think that goes for any player who is used to and could be a star. I think if we were running plays for him and really going through him he would develop offensively much more quickly, and also be consistently much more aggressive on offense, and I think he would likely be more in the flow and show a little more strength and toughness.

Overall he is more of a finesse player though. When you see those huge 17-19 rebounding games it's also usually when he gets more than 20 pts, and I don't think that's a coincidenct. When he gets 8 shots and 12-15 points or whatever, you usually see fewer rebounds as well.

Guys should remain consistently vested but I think as Redick recently mentioned, not only is it a lot harder to get into the flow of your game when you don't know when you are going to play (not in Ayton's case here), I think it's much tougher to get into the flow of your game when you don't know when you are going to get the ball or how many shots to expect. Amare, for example, his game with Nash was the #1 option most all the time.

I am more concerned with the strength and toughness than the aggressiveness, though I guess with aggressiveness I'm thinking about offense. Primarily I'm not as concerned as others with that since he's so effiicent anyway. I do feel he could get better positioning down low sometimes, but the good thing is, even in the midrange, he is extremely efficient, much moreso than even Booker who is a great midrange scorer himself.

3-10 ft - Ayton 62%, Booker 45%
10-16 ft -Ayton 52%, Booker 45.7%

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aytonde01/shooting/2022
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bookede01/shooting/2022

As for the toughness and strength, I think although he's shown it at times, particulalry in the playoff matching up with big names, I think he gets a little more flustered with double teams (which sometimes happens less in the playoffs going against bigger names) and part of it is age..I think players often utilize their strength more and play with more toughness as their career progresses.

For example, once again I'll use Booker since he's the one player who's been around more than a few years, I think he plays with much more toughness and uses strength than he did during his rookie deal.

I think most Cs on rookie deals or at the age of 23 don't play with a ton of toughness, but they develop later. Some of the better bigs in this day don't play with a lot of toughness.

My biggest concern as of late is actually rebounding...but as others have mentioned I suspect it has to do with his injury and being able to jump.

But you will also see, when our whole team is vested in rebounding and it's not him going against 2 or 3 people where he more often has to try and tip it to himself because it is then harder to just grab it with more guys going against you, the whole team does better. We need at least 2 players crashing the boards, but 3 should be down there if possible to make sure more guys are properly boxed out. Every defensive player will be closer to the basket when a shot goes up, so they should not be letting multiple offensive guys get through.

The best rebounding teams end up with multiple guys having 7+ rebounds and not just one guy getting all of them. Teams average about 45 rebounds a game and the player who gets the most (in part because he doesn't switch and stays near the basket) is Gobert at 14.7, but only 3 guys get more than 12 a game.

Since injury, not only has his rebounding been significantly worse overall, but has probably been worse than at any time of his career.

But, overall, I think he will have some of these weaknesses, but he also has great strengths by probably being the most efficient (o if not, close to) efficient Cs (or even players) in the NBA and has the elite hook shot but also can score in multiple other ways and is extremely efficient out to 16 feet. I think within a year he will probably be able to shoot in the mid 30% range from 3 on higher volume (he is actually 35.7% from 3 this year on 14 shots).

I also see posts about him not contesting shots when he is great with this on all positions and although he doesn't get a lot of blocks, he makes shots tougher for everyone and often is right on them to where they can't get a good shot off and have to pass out. Sure, some guys, particularly smaller guards get by him, but no C is effective as switching or staying in front of any of those guys.

There are valid complaints about him but there are so many lazy ones as well.

Thats some GoK level taking a small bit and running wild with it man lol. I was just trying to put people's frustration with that one play in some context, not all that lol. I agree with a lot of that, just arent really the points I was talking about. But I know you gotta get it off your chest :wink:
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,379

Post#230 » by Puff » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:40 pm

sunsbg wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:It is impossible to blame Mikal for Trent going off for 40 points. Through switches, we had so many guys guarding him, and some were solid close outs. Here one can watch each play, and overall, Mikal ends up guarding him three times, and Ayton had to close out on him through switches about four times, Book three, Crowder a couple times, Payne a couple times. We just did a poor job of making sure someone was glued to him. But as someone said, it was a collective loss.

Makes you wonder if they should stop switching everything, so Ayton who may have an injury(don't think it's motivation issue in contract year), doesn't have to chase smaller players on the perimeter all the time and has energy left to get an O rebound at the end of a game.

So you blame the coaching staff, for Ayton's failures and let him off the hook due to some fantom injury you have dreamed up for him.

If anyone is a troll it is you. Bring the facts to support your arguments or do not cast blame.

Zero fouls and Zero blocks is not what I expect out of the center position. The Raptors crashed the boards with little resistance from Ayton. When Monty put McGee and Biyombo on the floor together, the game changed in our favor. Ayton surely was not the only one to blame but he did not perform up to what I expect from a max center.
      "Fire Jones and Vogel. Hire a GM that can trade one or more of the Big Three that will allow us to be watchable again" :crazy:
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#231 » by Jdiddy701 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:55 pm

Puff wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:It is impossible to blame Mikal for Trent going off for 40 points. Through switches, we had so many guys guarding him, and some were solid close outs. Here one can watch each play, and overall, Mikal ends up guarding him three times, and Ayton had to close out on him through switches about four times, Book three, Crowder a couple times, Payne a couple times. We just did a poor job of making sure someone was glued to him. But as someone said, it was a collective loss.

Makes you wonder if they should stop switching everything, so Ayton who may have an injury(don't think it's motivation issue in contract year), doesn't have to chase smaller players on the perimeter all the time and has energy left to get an O rebound at the end of a game.

So you blame the coaching staff, for Ayton's failures and let him off the hook due to some fantom injury you have dreamed up for him.

If anyone is a troll it is you. Bring the facts to support your arguments or do not cast blame.

Zero fouls and Zero blocks is not what I expect out of the center position. The Raptors crashed the boards with little resistance from Ayton. When Monty put McGee and Biyombo on the floor together, the game changed in our favor. Ayton surely was not the only one to blame but he did not perform up to what I expect from a max center.

Don’t forget 4 free throw attempts in the last 6 games. That tells me a lot.

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#232 » by RunDogGun » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:38 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:
Puff wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Don’t forget 4 free throw attempts in the last 6 games. That tells me a lot.

It tells me he doesn't get many foul shots. It is not like he isn't taking contact. Plus he has been quicker at taking his shots, and he is having greater success shooting it quicker. He has 41-59 over those four games, which is 69.5%, and many of those shots are from outside 10 feet, or jump hooks from 5-8 feet.

We are one of the least free throw shooting teams in the league at 25th. Last year we were 29th. It isn't like we don't get fouled, we just don't get the calls for some reason, even on our home court.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,170

Post#233 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Our board melts down over a 5 point loss without CP3 and Cam Johnson...

Did we beat ourselves on this night? Yes. Does that mean we need to dismantle our team? No. Our record is still 12% better than the next closest team.

Y'all need to get your **** together more than DA or anyone else on this team does.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,038

Post#234 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:00 pm

Puff wrote:

Facts
- he's been bad at rebounding since his ankle injury, he's been a good to great rebounder rest of his career, so it's not illogical to assume something is bothering him
- Mikal's blocked shots this season are half of the blocks from last season, his steals number is nothing special, but he's been considered an all nba defender, so looking at the box score is not telling you the full story
- If you spend 5s to check Ayton's game log you will see 7 of his last 8 games classify as good games. Saying he has a good game once a week/month is a shear stupidity/trolling, I'll let you pick one of those
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#235 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:47 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
That's another problem. In cases like tonight when 1 player is killing us, then Mikal needs to fight over the screens and stick to his man.

Also, after getting crushed by Middleton, then maybe more tape study is needed on bad games by him and who defended him and how they did defend him. Maybe he is doing the studying, but I didn't see him fighting over the screens and instead just allowing the switch to happen.

As for FVV, fine. Cool, now go slow down the guy who went for 40....

We switch almost everything. That's our scheme. Our switching is literally the reason why we have the #1 perimeter defense in the league. Prioritising fighting over screens over switching means there's a gap when no one is on the ball handler, that opens opens up our otherwise elite perimeter D.

And BTW, the reason your boy is able to showcase is perimeter defense is BECAUSE we have a switch heavy scheme

That's true. Which is 1 of the things that makes him awesome is his ability to allow us to play him vs wings and some guards. Still, that doesn't give Mikal a pass. If you were to ask this board or the GB who's our best defender-our "stopper". Most would say Mikal. I mean isn't his nickname the Warden?

OK. Well then lock up Khris Middleton when he's killing us or fight over screens when GTJ is bombing deep. I'm not saying hold Bron/KD/Tatum/Steph to 10 points here. There's a gap between them and Midds or a Gary Trent Jr.

There comes a point where he (as our key perimeter defender) has to say:

**** this, I got this dude. He's not gonna keep working us all night.

Where was that tonight, or last Sunday, or during the Bucks series? Now, alot of this is no CP3 and I think had we had him we win tonight and last Sunday but still....blame is not entirely on Ayton. I mean he was 8/11 and it seemed to me that the Dinos had no answer for him.

PS: I probably do support him more than most here, but I feel the need to balance out the noise from those who have a tunnel vision about him. I've mentioned numerous times that some posters haven't forgiven him for not being Luka. I still say that he's the 2nd best choice in that draft-over Trae Young.

I just find it odd that very often you point the blame at Bridges just to defect blame away from Ayton, seemingly because he's got a nickname that others have betowed onto him. The whole Luka/Trae/Ayton debate has done its rounds but far too often I've seen you bring up Mikal (#10 pick in the draft) like he's the one that caused Ayton to have single digit rebounding games in 13 of the previous 18 games or he's the one that's getting worked by young inexperienced bigs because Ayton just didn't give full effort and energy on defense. That whataboutism angle is most confounding because you point to the guy that is from an effort standpoint is the opposite of Ayton. Honestly, if Ayton played with the same effort Bridges does game after game, not only would there be significantly less criticism, he'd literally be the guy we expect him to be because he'd be a 20/12 guy on a nightly basis. I mean, didn't we see that guy in the playoffs destroying opposing front lines? Nobody blamed any one player for our loss in the Finals but you just couldn't help yourself putting the blame on Bridges just to move shift blame from Ayton for a game in mid-March.

As mentioned before, we play elite team defense and our switching is one of the hallmarks of our strength on that end of the court. This attitude of "I got this dude", is how you end up with Book taking things personal and playing hero ball to 1up the other team. Defensive discipline is trusting your team mate will step up on the screen and execute a good defensive switch. If Bridges was to take that attitude of I'm going to fight through this screen no matter what, good chance the roll man is already half way to the basket. That "why doesn't he fight over the screen" argument is grasping at straws. Bridges is one of the most disciplined players I've ever watched on both ends of the court. He understands and has great awareness of what's going on around him.

Defend Ayton as you want and I completely agree that Ayton does get an unfair portion of the blame but you really lose a lot credibility with that whataboutism angle and bringing up the one guy who plays every game hard, consistently makes the right decisions on both ends of the court, gets matched up on opposing team's best scorers every night and hasn't missed a game. That's the wrong target.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns