ImageImageImage

Game 77: Phoenix Suns (62-14) @ Memphis Grizzlies (54-23) l Friday l 5:00pm l NBATV l BSAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

More impressive record; Suns without CP3 or Grizzlies without Ja?

Grizzlies 19-2 without Ja Morant
88%
Phoenix 11-4 without Chris Paul
6%
None of the above
6%

Total votes: 17

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: Game 77: Phoenix Suns (62-14) @ Memphis Grizzlies (54-23) l Friday l 5:00pm l NBATV l BSAZ 

Post#281 » by RunDogGun » Sat Apr 2, 2022 9:23 pm

sunsbg wrote:Actually Grizzlies look like one of the teams we can use Cam J against as a starter at PF. ( :nod: @ RDG )

JJJ has always been a pathetic rebounder and Ayton normally should neutralize Adams. The rest is a team effort.

Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen. Craig did a great job starting as well. But we will go with the inferior Crowder as long as he is able to suit up.

We need to stop watching shots on both ends of the floor. Anyone shooting from the corners, need to follow their shots. We have too many guys who stand there and pose. On defense, we often turn our back on our man, and that gives opportunities for guys to follow their shot, or crash the offensive boards. Fixable, but tough to do with limited games before the real season starts.

Future, I think rebounding is the next game improvement Mikal needs to do. If he can get Johnson involved in working on rebounding and positioning for rebounds, I think we can greatly improve from within.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,038

Re: Game 77: Phoenix Suns (62-14) @ Memphis Grizzlies (54-23) l Friday l 5:00pm l NBATV l BSAZ 

Post#282 » by sunsbg » Sun Apr 3, 2022 6:01 am

RunDogGun wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Actually Grizzlies look like one of the teams we can use Cam J against as a starter at PF. ( :nod: @ RDG )

JJJ has always been a pathetic rebounder and Ayton normally should neutralize Adams. The rest is a team effort.

Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen. Craig did a great job starting as well. But we will go with the inferior Crowder as long as he is able to suit up.

We need to stop watching shots on both ends of the floor. Anyone shooting from the corners, need to follow their shots. We have too many guys who stand there and pose. On defense, we often turn our back on our man, and that gives opportunities for guys to follow their shot, or crash the offensive boards. Fixable, but tough to do with limited games before the real season starts.

Future, I think rebounding is the next game improvement Mikal needs to do. If he can get Johnson involved in working on rebounding and positioning for rebounds, I think we can greatly improve from within.

Ayton regressed a bit this season as a rebounder. Hopefully he puts much more energy and focus into it in the playoffs. And yeah, people compare Mikal with Marion but imagine him being anything close as a rebounder. They had a full season to work on fixing the issue, so if that's not done, I guess it's part of this team's identity.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#283 » by RunDogGun » Sun Apr 3, 2022 9:31 pm

sunsbg wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

Ayton regressed a bit this season as a rebounder. Hopefully he puts much more energy and focus into it in the playoffs. And yeah, people compare Mikal with Marion but imagine him being anything close as a rebounder. They had a full season to work on fixing the issue, so if that's not done, I guess it's part of this team's identity.

Marion is a tough comparison for anyone. His second jump was so quick, almost like he was on a pogo-stick. And his three point shot form was so bizarre. For Mikal, its really his only weakness in his game (rebounding). If he could average 7-8 a game, and really went after offensive boards he could push for allstar nods from the coaches and players.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#284 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Apr 3, 2022 11:13 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen. Craig did a great job starting as well. But we will go with the inferior Crowder as long as he is able to suit up.

Marion is a tough comparison for anyone. His second jump was so quick, almost like he was on a pogo-stick. And his three point shot form was so bizarre. For Mikal, its really his only weakness in his game (rebounding). If he could average 7-8 a game, and really went after offensive boards he could push for allstar nods from the coaches and players.

Aside from their similar physical dimensions, they are quite different players. Mikal is the better perimeter defender but Marion is an elite rebounder, significantly better defender in the paint and he's pretty good on the perimeter too. The fact that he's never been voted to a single All-Defensive team has always bothered me. I mean, there was a season where he almost averaged 2 blocks, 12 rebounds and 2 steals.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#285 » by RunDogGun » Mon Apr 4, 2022 2:42 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Aside from their similar physical dimensions, they are quite different players. Mikal is the better perimeter defender but Marion is an elite rebounder, significantly better defender in the paint and he's pretty good on the perimeter too. The fact that he's never been voted to a single All-Defensive team has always bothered me. I mean, there was a season where he almost averaged 2 blocks, 12 rebounds and 2 steals.

Do you think Mikal doesn't attack the glass because he thinks that is where possible injuries happen? Because he has the ability to be a good rebounder, and while he is only 6'6", his arms are so long, and he has a solid jump.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#286 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 4, 2022 3:47 am

RunDogGun wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

Do you think Mikal doesn't attack the glass because he thinks that is where possible injuries happen? Because he has the ability to be a good rebounder, and while he is only 6'6", his arms are so long, and he has a solid jump.

I don't think it's the thought of injury. I think a big part of it is just that it's never been part of his game. He can do it occasionally but his best move right now is that turnaround jumper in the paint as opposed to getting all the way and finishing around the rim. That tell us something about his mentality of just getting the best open shot he can get as opposed to looking for the foul and/or getting closer to the rim. I would like to see him attack the rim more like CamJo does but even though their nickname is the Twins, they have very different builds. Cam is stockier, looks to have a noticeably stronger base and probably a stronger upper body too. I think these are physical attributes which Bridges has always lacked and therefore never focused on being the take the contact and finishing around the rim kinda player. Not to say he doesn't attack the rim or avoids the contact, he just doesn't do it with any sort of consistent volume because it isn't his strength.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns