ImageImageImage

Game 80: Phoenix Suns (63-16) @ Los Angeles Clippers (39-40) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l ESPN

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Re: Game 80: Phoenix Suns (63-16) @ Los Angeles Clippers (39-40) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l ESPN 

Post#141 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:52 pm

SkyBill40 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote: I have seen so many times comments like that...it is even weird IMO.

I don't understand why do you and some other fans think the league and the refs want to **** particularly the Suns? So they want to **** us and we have won 63 games? Then Silver, the refs and the other 29 teams are terrible conspiring against the Suns..of course.

I think that there are some mistakes here and there on every game, but nothing to talk about it.

Yeah, the talk about the refs being against us and constantly complaining fouls makes game threads uninteresting. It doesn't matter if we have a crap game and lose by a bunch, if the refs fault. No matter what the refs screw us.

There are a lot of games we don't get as many free throws but we live largely in the mid range and 3 pt shooting and won't get fouled..teams that try to get to the rim (most every team tries to solely get to rim and take 3s as much as possible) and getting to the rim more, by default, will get more foul shots.
Irs just aggravating to watch, hence the frustration coming out in posts during games. The league as a whole needs to take a look into their officiating as it's not called evenly in terms of the rules themselves, not even accounting for any home court bias. There's been an awful lot of phantom calls, make up calls, and just ignores things that should have been made but weren't.

It also seems like this year started out being called more tightly due to some rule changes and has loosened up significantly and almost to the point of where it was before. I get that people are human and are going to make mistakes, but something needs to be done to develop a much better sense of consistency and adherence.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Personally I see very few that seem a little bad...one or two in particular when Ayton was being called on touch fouls on Towns.

Though I know many of you think every time someone is touched it should be a foul.

But I generally would rather not that many fouls be called on either end.

Despite our not taking it to the rim often, our discrepancy is 2.4 fewer FTA per game...not much.

If you check the GB threads, even from users not vested into either team you will see many thing the Suns are getting the call benefits.

Anyway, typically these don't matter much anyway. The other night there was tons of attention on a call they deemed incidental contact or something like that on Booker....probably the most respected referee. He made the shot and it didn't impact the shot.

It would have resulted in 1 free throw when which may have made (probably) in a game we usually score 100 points. Calls go both ways...good and bad.

Now in something like the NFL, a terrible call or 2 or 3 against one team resulting in a big play or score and the other team not getting them can be a big deal because a couple calls flip a game completely. But in the NBA for the vast majority of the time, this is inconsequential.

Last night FT discrepancy I admit does sound ridiculous, but at the same time we were playing a bunch of jump shooters so I wouldn't have expected a lot of fouls. 44 against us...I don't know...I didn't watch it really. You could tell we played like crap anyway until the comeback of our scrubs against theirs.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Re: Game 80: Phoenix Suns (63-16) @ Los Angeles Clippers (39-40) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l ESPN 

Post#142 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:52 pm

SkyBill40 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote: I have seen so many times comments like that...it is even weird IMO.

I don't understand why do you and some other fans think the league and the refs want to **** particularly the Suns? So they want to **** us and we have won 63 games? Then Silver, the refs and the other 29 teams are terrible conspiring against the Suns..of course.

I think that there are some mistakes here and there on every game, but nothing to talk about it.

Yeah, the talk about the refs being against us and constantly complaining fouls makes game threads uninteresting. It doesn't matter if we have a crap game and lose by a bunch, if the refs fault. No matter what the refs screw us.

There are a lot of games we don't get as many free throws but we live largely in the mid range and 3 pt shooting and won't get fouled..teams that try to get to the rim (most every team tries to solely get to rim and take 3s as much as possible) and getting to the rim more, by default, will get more foul shots.
Irs just aggravating to watch, hence the frustration coming out in posts during games. The league as a whole needs to take a look into their officiating as it's not called evenly in terms of the rules themselves, not even accounting for any home court bias. There's been an awful lot of phantom calls, make up calls, and just ignores things that should have been made but weren't.

It also seems like this year started out being called more tightly due to some rule changes and has loosened up significantly and almost to the point of where it was before. I get that people are human and are going to make mistakes, but something needs to be done to develop a much better sense of consistency and adherence.

Personally I see very few that seem a little bad...one or two in particular when Ayton was being called on touch fouls on Towns.

Though I know many of you think every time someone is touched it should be a foul.

Despite our not taking it to the rim often, our discrepancy is 2.4 fewer FTA per game...not much.

If you check the GB threads, even from users not vested into either team you will see many thing the Suns are getting the call benefits.

Anyway, typically these don't matter much anyway. The other night there was tons of attention on a call they deemed incidental contact or something like that on Booker....probably the most respected referee. He made the shot and it didn't impact the shot.

It would have resulted in 1 free throw when which may have made (probably) in a game we usually score 100 points. Calls go both ways...good and bad.

Now in something like the NFL, a terrible call or 2 or 3 against one team resulting in a big play or score and the other team not getting them can be a big deal because a couple calls flip a game completely. But in the NBA for the vast majority of the time, this is inconsequential.

Last night FT discrepancy I admit does sound ridiculous, but at the same time we were playing a bunch of jump shooters so I wouldn't have expected a lot of fouls. 44 against us...I don't know...I didn't watch it really. You could tell we played like crap anyway until the comeback of our scrubs against theirs.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,829

Post#143 » by SkyBill40 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I'm definitely not of the sort to cheapen the game and place every bit of contact into the category of a foul as some might. I'm far more willing to let a lot of that ticky tack contact go and let them play on and through it. Hard fouls and clear violations of the rules are worth noting and sending someone to the charity stripe but calling every damned thing is just dumb.

There are also instances of a clear foul which was deliberate, yet no call is made and the actionable offense took place right in the eyes of the official. Torrey Craig got thrown to the ground by a two handed shove from Davis. No call. There was at least another obvious no call play that should have been whistled, but I can't remember the persons involved or the specific moment.

It's just a bad look and it seems to be getting worse for the league in general and not just against us.

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#144 » by RunDogGun » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:56 pm

Fouls called or not called can also change momentum in a game, and has often. For example calling a tech when the other team is on a fast break and would easily score. During the Nash years, multiple bad calls in a row and then no calls on the other end completely changed games.

SkyBill, I think you were referring to Anthony throwing Paul to the ground right in front of the refs.

I am fine with letting ticky tack calls go, but it has to be on both ends. Giannis in the finals was ridiculous though. We couldn't breathe on him without getting called and he could make as much contact as he wanted on the defensive end. Jrue was also allowed to be excessively physical, but I don't think he got as many touch fouls as Giannis got rewarded for.

But I have seen Giannis get the same treatment a while back against the Nets. Its not just the Suns, but certain teams get way too many calls, and not much against them. And if Monty is going to hint at this obvious disparity in calls in one presser, he needs to speak out more in games, and in the following presser. It is going on. Plus if the free throws are close, it doesn't mean the fouls called or not called are also close, it could easily mean that one team kept fouling like crazy, and were only getting called for a few. I hate it when commentators say partway through the second quarter, "that was their first foul committed." Nope, it was just the first foul the refs decided to call.

If they are going to go through an effort for giving refs minutes of fame, they should also inform the fans when refs get reprimanded for obvious missed calls or techs given for no real reason. And if there is no consequence for poor officiating like Jon Barry pointed out in a Suns vs Spurs game on national tv, then this league is really pushing WWE territory.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,829

Post#145 » by SkyBill40 » Fri Apr 8, 2022 2:49 am

RunDogGun wrote:
SkyBill, I think you were referring to Anthony throwing Paul to the ground right in front of the refs.

You are correct. For some reason, my mind went to Davis rather than Anthony.

Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Game 80: Phoenix Suns (63-16) @ Los Angeles Clippers (39-40) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l ESPN 

Post#146 » by Jdiddy701 » Fri Apr 8, 2022 5:26 am

Carmelo also threw Torrey Craig down in the 2nd half of that game right in front of an official and they didn’t call anything.

I just wish it was always officiated the same. I much prefer a game where they let things go than to call every touch foul. It’s impossible to play defense in today’s game without being called for a foul. Games are a lot more entertaining when the officials are not involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Phoenix Suns