ImageImageImage

NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 3 - (1) Phoenix Suns @ (8) New Orleans Pelicans l Friday l 7:30pm MST (9:30 EST) l ESPN l Series 1-1

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who steps up for the Suns tonight?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:03 pm

Chris Paul
22%
Deandre Ayton
30%
Cam Johnson
26%
Cam Payne
4%
Jae Crowder
No votes
Mikal Bridges
9%
Bizmack Biyombo
9%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 23

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 3 - (1) Phoenix Suns @ (8) New Orleans Pelicans l Friday l 7:30pm MST (9:30 EST) l ESPN l Series 

Post#801 » by RunDogGun » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:01 am

GoranTragic wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:
I don't blame Monty for losing the finals. I blame Jones for not thinking about injuries and depth which he addressed before this season started.

We had Smith, who had a great game at the end of the year 11 pt 10 rebound game against SAS. Monty chose not to play him one second of the finals. I agree we should have picked up another big, but Monty should have given Smith more minutes when Saric went down, or even before that. Monty failed to make adjustments, failed to call timeouts during runs, and got swept. Some of the blame has to go his way.

Smith was super raw which is a tough call. However if Jones had considered the fact that one injury (Saric) would hobble this team in the playoffs he could have signed someone else besides Frank.

It is, but that was on Monty. He should have had him ready. If he can get 11/10 in the final game, we should have given him minutes in games. But we can't complain about not having any bigs, when we had a 6'10" kid that we know can rebound and has 6 fouls to burn on Giannis, raw or not. Frank did ok shooting in the finals when he got minutes (13 and 11 minutes), but struggled on the defensive end. Overall though, the same issue I have right now with Monty is what I feel cost us the finals, the lack of use for CamJo. He was killing it in shooting % coming out of the Denver series and we just couldn't get him shots or enough minutes unless it was a blow out. We watched either Booker or Paul try and hero ball it, and Monty did nothing to curb that.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,828

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 3 - (1) Phoenix Suns @ (8) New Orleans Pelicans l Friday l 7:30pm MST (9:30 EST) l ESPN l Series 

Post#802 » by TeamTragic » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:07 am

RunDogGun wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:We had Smith, who had a great game at the end of the year 11 pt 10 rebound game against SAS. Monty chose not to play him one second of the finals. I agree we should have picked up another big, but Monty should have given Smith more minutes when Saric went down, or even before that. Monty failed to make adjustments, failed to call timeouts during runs, and got swept. Some of the blame has to go his way.

Smith was super raw which is a tough call. However if Jones had considered the fact that one injury (Saric) would hobble this team in the playoffs he could have signed someone else besides Frank.

It is, but that was on Monty. He should have had him ready. If he can get 11/10 in the final game, we should have given him minutes in games. But we can't complain about not having any bigs, when we had a 6'10" kid that we know can rebound and has 6 fouls to burn on Giannis, raw or not. Frank did ok shooting in the finals when he got minutes (13 and 11 minutes), but struggled on the defensive end. Overall though, the same issue I have right now with Monty is what I feel cost us the finals, the lack of use for CamJo. He was killing it in shooting % coming out of the Denver series and we just couldn't get him shots or enough minutes unless it was a blow out. We watched either Booker or Paul try and hero ball it, and Monty did nothing to curb that.

To be fair Giannis turned into Superman and Monty can only do so much. Jones probably never thought in his wildest dreams that we would be in the finals this quickly and was completely unprepared.

I just want to say that I love Monty and Jones has been amazing as well. Monty needs to show the NBA that he is the COTY.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#803 » by RunDogGun » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:14 am

GoranTragic wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:

To be fair Giannis turned into Superman and Monty can only do so much. Jones probably never thought in his wildest dreams that we would be in the finals this quickly and was completely unprepared.

I just want to say that I love Monty and Jones has been amazing as well. Monty needs to show the NBA that he is the COTY.

Well to be really fair, Superman got massive help from the refs, where he could make as much contact as he wanted, but could not be touched on the other end. It still would have been smart to try Smith a number of times, instead of never.

I don't think Monty can make the adjustments to be COTY. He might get it for the regular season wins, but games like the one where he failed to call a timeout, and Chowder chucked it out of bounds, are the reasons he will struggle in a seven game series. CP3 has been the reason we have a lead, not Monty. I like Monty fine, but I am pissed at how he has allowed guys to suck for too long, or failed to call timely time outs. Starting the Sham and Chowder was really the last straw for me. It was the dumbest adjustment when we had an 11 point lead, to bench our best three point shooter, let him get cold, for two guys that were cold all night.
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#804 » by TeamTragic » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:22 am

RunDogGun wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:It is, but that was on Monty. He should have had him ready. If he can get 11/10 in the final game, we should have given him minutes in games. But we can't complain about not having any bigs, when we had a 6'10" kid that we know can rebound and has 6 fouls to burn on Giannis, raw or not. Frank did ok shooting in the finals when he got minutes (13 and 11 minutes), but struggled on the defensive end. Overall though, the same issue I have right now with Monty is what I feel cost us the finals, the lack of use for CamJo. He was killing it in shooting % coming out of the Denver series and we just couldn't get him shots or enough minutes unless it was a blow out. We watched either Booker or Paul try and hero ball it, and Monty did nothing to curb that.

Well to be really fair, Superman got massive help from the refs, where he could make as much contact as he wanted, but could not be touched on the other end. It still would have been smart to try Smith a number of times, instead of never.

I don't think Monty can make the adjustments to be COTY. He might get it for the regular season wins, but games like the one where he failed to call a timeout, and Chowder chucked it out of bounds, are the reasons he will struggle in a seven game series. CP3 has been the reason we have a lead, not Monty.

Neither Monty nor Jones can do anything about the refs. Giannis was barreling through everyone and the refs let him do whatever. Same issue this season with FTA including this series.

No surprise that the NBA took that advantage away from this team. Monty just needs to read them room better especially when we are playing without Booker.

I don't want this team to just have Booker out there running himself into the ground. Ayton needs to get back on defense and this team needs to make that extra pass. I just want to add that if we aren't making outside shots then get into the paint and try to draw the foul.

Not much to say about CP3 besides he continues to be the floor general. That comes with experience and I hope that it will rub off on Monty.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#805 » by RunDogGun » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:44 am

Well Bud whined about the officiating, and that seemed to have worked. So until Monty publicly complains about the officiating and takes the fine, we don't know if he or Jones can make a change when it comes to officiating. But there are still major fouls not called. Jae getting hit by Hayes right in fron of the ref wasn't called until Jae ran after Hayes. And the refs still couldn't get out of that without giving Jae a tech. CamJ was ran over right in front of the ref, which lead to a three by BI late in the game. It was another obvious call. Someone from the team needs to take the fine, and point out these terrible calls after games where it is clearly one sided.

Wow, a fan ran out on the Minny game. That was crazy.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#806 » by RunDogGun » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:47 am

She, looked like a she, and it looked like security was watching her. She jumped right past the bench, and security was right on top of her in a second.
TeamTragic
General Manager

Post#807 » by TeamTragic » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:53 am

RunDogGun wrote:Well Bud whined about the officiating, and that seemed to have worked. So until Monty publicly complains about the officiating and takes the fine, we don't know if he or Jones can make a change when it comes to officiating. But there are still major fouls not called. Jae getting hit by Hayes right in fron of the ref wasn't called until Jae ran after Hayes. And the refs still couldn't get out of that without giving Jae a tech. CamJ was ran over right in front of the ref, which lead to a three by BI late in the game. It was another obvious call. Someone from the team needs to take the fine, and point out these terrible calls after games where it is clearly one sided.

I guess that is why we have Crowder on the floor. He brings that mental toughness.

However Monty did say that he cares more about winning the game versus winning the fight in the post game interview.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#808 » by RunDogGun » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:05 am

GoranTragic wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:Well Bud whined about the officiating, and that seemed to have worked. So until Monty publicly complains about the officiating and takes the fine, we don't know if he or Jones can make a change when it comes to officiating. But there are still major fouls not called. Jae getting hit by Hayes right in fron of the ref wasn't called until Jae ran after Hayes. And the refs still couldn't get out of that without giving Jae a tech. CamJ was ran over right in front of the ref, which lead to a three by BI late in the game. It was another obvious call. Someone from the team needs to take the fine, and point out these terrible calls after games where it is clearly one sided.

I guess that is why we have Crowder on the floor. He brings that mental toughness.

However Monty did say that he cares more about winning the game versus winning the fight in the post game interview.

I don't mind him on the floor, he just should not start. He should get a consistent 26 mins a game, take less shots, and muscle his way to a solid seven rebounds a game. I would like to see more screens from him as well.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,611

Post#809 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:02 am

GoranTragic wrote:I'm not saying Crowder should be benched forever. I'm just saying that when he becomes a liability then we need to move him to the bench and give CamJo an opportunity to grow as a player.

I thought this was obvious and I still feel Crowder will be a benefit in the long run. Why is everyone here opposed to CamJo taking the next step?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we start Cam?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#810 » by cberry78 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:29 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:I'm not saying Crowder should be benched forever. I'm just saying that when he becomes a liability then we need to move him to the bench and give CamJo an opportunity to grow as a player.

I thought this was obvious and I still feel Crowder will be a benefit in the long run. Why is everyone here opposed to CamJo taking the next step?

STOP THROWING AROUND FACTS!!!!!!!
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,154

Post#811 » by Revived » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:05 am

I disagree with this notion that Crowder should “keep shooting because his shots are all within the offense and he needs to keep shooting so he can find his shot again”.

Whenever Crowder shoots the ball, he shoots it as soon as the ball touches his hand without looking to see if there is another swing pass to be made or if a cutter came open. On one hand, it’s good that he’s decisive but on the other hand, it’s not good that he doesn’t even look to see if there is another pass to be made.

When role players are cold, their usually more hesitant to shoot and will look to pass more and look for easier shots closer to the rim like putbacks. If Steph Curry or Trae Young have a bad shooting game to start, sure their going to keep shooting it because they know their great enough shooters to probably find their shot eventually within the same game. But those are star players.

Crowder shoots without a conscience and again that’s a good and bad thing. Right now it’s extremely bad. He has Steph Curry confidence with Ayesha Curry’s jumper. Not a good combo.

There were at least two occasions in game 3 in the 4th QTR with game tied or Suns losing when CP3 dribbled up and saw Crowder wide open and then chose to not pass it to him and just keep dribbling instead. Because he knows Crowder will shoot if he has even tiny bit of space even if shot clock is at 20 seconds or something early. He also knows that it’s likely to be a miss. Then finally later in the qtr with a 2 possession lead, when all else failed and nothing was open and shot clock was running down, he passed to Crowder for that long 2 and he finally hit it.

Pelicans are starting to leave Crowder open and instead of just chucking away, he needs to set screens for others and force the switch so the space that the Pelicans are giving him will lead to an open jumper for the person he screens for.

Crowder has never in his Suns career started a game ice cold and then gone on to get scorching hot later on in the game. Never. If he starts 0-3 in the first QTR, it’s basically a guarantee that he’s gonna shoot like crap for the rest of the game as well. Crowder himself has to know this if he’s not stupid. And there’s one other person who also knows this…Willie Green. And if that’s the case, then why is Crowder continuing to shoot so quick without looking to pass even in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs?

I see a lot people defending Crowder here but these are the other points to consider.

So far in this series, it’s not an exaggeration to say that Crowder has been the Pelicans 3rd best player after Ingram and McCollum. Crowder has helped the Pelicans more than their prized rookie defender Herbert/Nance Jr/Val/Alvarado and anyone else. Every possession is valued even more in the playoffs and especially in a series like this one where it’s not just a back and forth fast paced high octane attack. And Crowder has wasted many of those possessions for us thus far. He’s due for a good game and might go 6-8 or something from 3 some game soon but that is going to lead to irrational confidence and have him shoot 1-12 in the very next game.

And I should add that he’s not helping us on rebounds much either. Last year’s playoffs he averaged 6 rebounds a game. So far in this series, he’s averaging 3 rebounds a game. He is averaging slightly less minutes this season than he is last season however he’s still averaging 30 mins a game in the playoffs. In the ‘18-19 season with Utah, he averaged just 26 mins a game and yet still averaged 6 rebounds a game. His rebounding percentage of 7.2% in the playoffs this season is a career worst mark for him in postseason.

So it’s not just his shooting that he’s worse than usual at, it’s his rebounding too.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#812 » by RunDogGun » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:57 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

Not in the second half. And we quickly lost an 11 point lead. Plus it was one of the first times Monty has ever changed the starting line up from start to 3rd, and it was clearly a dumb move from the results.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#813 » by RunDogGun » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:10 pm

Revived wrote:I disagree with this notion that Crowder should “keep shooting because his shots are all within the offense and he needs to keep shooting so he can find his shot again”.

Whenever Crowder shoots the ball, he shoots it as soon as the ball touches his hand without looking to see if there is another swing pass to be made or if a cutter came open. On one hand, it’s good that he’s decisive but on the other hand, it’s not good that he doesn’t even look to see if there is another pass to be made.

When role players are cold, their usually more hesitant to shoot and will look to pass more and look for easier shots closer to the rim like putbacks. If Steph Curry or Trae Young have a bad shooting game to start, sure their going to keep shooting it because they know their great enough shooters to probably find their shot eventually within the same game. But those are star players.

Crowder shoots without a conscience and again that’s a good and bad thing. Right now it’s extremely bad. He has Steph Curry confidence with Ayesha Curry’s jumper. Not a good combo.

There were at least two occasions in game 3 in the 4th QTR with game tied or Suns losing when CP3 dribbled up and saw Crowder wide open and then chose to not pass it to him and just keep dribbling instead. Because he knows Crowder will shoot if he has even tiny bit of space even if shot clock is at 20 seconds or something early. He also knows that it’s likely to be a miss. Then finally later in the qtr with a 2 possession lead, when all else failed and nothing was open and shot clock was running down, he passed to Crowder for that long 2 and he finally hit it.

Pelicans are starting to leave Crowder open and instead of just chucking away, he needs to set screens for others and force the switch so the space that the Pelicans are giving him will lead to an open jumper for the person he screens for.

Crowder has never in his Suns career started a game ice cold and then gone on to get scorching hot later on in the game. Never. If he starts 0-3 in the first QTR, it’s basically a guarantee that he’s gonna shoot like crap for the rest of the game as well. Crowder himself has to know this if he’s not stupid. And there’s one other person who also knows this…Willie Green. And if that’s the case, then why is Crowder continuing to shoot so quick without looking to pass even in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs?

I see a lot people defending Crowder here but these are the other points to consider.

So far in this series, it’s not an exaggeration to say that Crowder has been the Pelicans 3rd best player after Ingram and McCollum. Crowder has helped the Pelicans more than their prized rookie defender Herbert/Nance Jr/Val/Alvarado and anyone else. Every possession is valued even more in the playoffs and especially in a series like this one where it’s not just a back and forth fast paced high octane attack. And Crowder has wasted many of those possessions for us thus far. He’s due for a good game and might go 6-8 or something from 3 some game soon but that is going to lead to irrational confidence and have him shoot 1-12 in the very next game.

And I should add that he’s not helping us on rebounds much either. Last year’s playoffs he averaged 6 rebounds a game. So far in this series, he’s averaging 3 rebounds a game. He is averaging slightly less minutes this season than he is last season however he’s still averaging 30 mins a game in the playoffs. In the ‘18-19 season with Utah, he averaged just 26 mins a game and yet still averaged 6 rebounds a game. His rebounding percentage of 7.2% in the playoffs this season is a career worst mark for him in postseason.

So it’s not just his shooting that he’s worse than usual at, it’s his rebounding too.

Throwing around facts. :nod:

Nice post, backed with facts. Yeah, it was funny watching CP3 see Chowder calling for the ball, and not give him the pass. The ego thing is affecting other guys as well, meaning their ego won't let them pass up shots.

The screens are a big thing, but that would be something Monty needs to add to the offense. Right now, it seems we have the high screen, and three guys standing by the three waiting for a pass. But only being able to make 4 of them, we have to find another play with more screens. Jae should be good at screening, because he gets to be physical.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#814 » by bwgood77 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:29 pm

Revived wrote:I disagree with this notion that Crowder should “keep shooting because his shots are all within the offense and he needs to keep shooting so he can find his shot again”.

Crowder started off last postseason 2-20 in his first 3 games and then missed his first couple in game 4, before turning around and finishing the last 3 games at 46% from 3.

Then in round 2 he was 55% from 3.

In round 3 he dropped to 34% and then went up to 41% in the finals.

He's averaged about 4 reb per game, but focused more on that the last two games with 10 total, but also has 5 ast, 3 steals and 3 blocks...along with a key charge taken and offensive board/putback in the last game.

Cam for example may have shot 33% from 3 but has averaged 2 reb per game and 0 ast, 0 blk, .7 stl, etc, so hasn't done much else besides hit an ok amount from 3 on fairly low attempts.

I don't like Crowder taking quite as many shots, but when they pass to him and he's wide open, he's supposed to shoot it. That's his role, for better or worse and we know he's streaky and cam alive big time the last half of the first round last year and the 2nd round. Even his 3rd round wasn't bad and the finals solid.

The previous year he shot like 44% overall from 3 in the playoffs.

Even with the terrible start last year he finished 37% in the playoffs or 43% after the bad start. 37% is good enough overall but 43% is elite...Cam Johnson regular season territory before he got injured.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,611

Post#815 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:46 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Not in the second half. And we quickly lost an 11 point lead. Plus it was one of the first times Monty has ever changed the starting line up from start to 3rd, and it was clearly a dumb move from the results.

We won the game. No coach is perfect and neither is your backseat "coaching"
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns