Total votes: 48

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,695

NBA Semis | Game 1 (1) Phoenix Suns vs (4) Dallas Mavericks | May 2nd 7PM PST 

Post#1 » by Qwigglez » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:07 pm

Battle of the 2018 draft titans!

We often debate this topic of Ayton vs Luka, but we should include we also got this guy...

Also don't forget...
https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_between/deandre_ayton_vs_luka_doncic.htm

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/luka-doncic-record-vs-suns#:~:text=Luka%20Doncic%20has%20a%203,the%20Suns%20in%20his%20career.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,412

Re: NBA Semis | Game 1 (1) Phoenix Suns vs (4) Dallas Mavericks | May 2nd 7PM PST 

Post#2 » by dremill24 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:32 pm

Mavs did a lot of switching against us during the year, and it was relatively successful. If they continue, we HAVE to be able to punish them with Ayton (would be similar in a series against GSW). He has to be committed to carving out space and going up strong and the rest need to be committed to getting him the ball whenever he has an advantage. This is the best counter we have to switching since perimeter isos are not really our bag.
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,152

Re: NBA Semis | Game 1 (1) Phoenix Suns vs (4) Dallas Mavericks | May 2nd 7PM PST 

Post#3 » by starbosa10 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:34 pm

Think we win in 5. We matchup well with them. Our perimeter defense is better than Utah and they won't be able to exploit DA like they did Rudy
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,471

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:59 pm

Crives wrote:Ayton is going to be more important then Booker/Luka/CP3 in the upcoming series.

Ayton needs to continue getting the ball often. I imagine that decreases with Booker back. But CP3/Book are always very important. CP3 should be pretty steady with Book back to carry some ball handling and likely the majority of the offensive load.

Ayton is important because he will likely need to play more small ball and hopefully get more shots due to more 1 on 1 coverage since they go small.

Hopefully he is utilized so we can get some efficient points.
SUN
Lead Assistant
And1: 866

Post#5 » by SUN » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:06 pm

all goes well, no pulled hamstrings, this will be over quicker than the GB will see coming. Suns in 5.
handsome salary
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,122

Post#6 » by handsome salary » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:55 pm

The return of Jason Kidd and Marquese Chriss. No real love for either.
TheLoon
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#7 » by TheLoon » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:05 pm

Maybe this is fool's gold but I feel way better going into this series than against the Pels...the Pels were playing with house money...Mavs are supposed to be here...I think unless Luka goes BANANAS like Giannis we end this quick
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,042

Post#8 » by sunsbg » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:07 pm

Mavs are probably the most predictable team in the league. They were forcing Luka vs Gobert on almost every play in 1st round in final minutes. Won't work well against DA. I don't see what different they can offer against us. Luka PnR all day and their role players hitting 3s. Quite easy to game-plan against. So as long as we play our best game it should be an easy win being the better team overall.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#9 » by wheezy » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:27 pm

I would put Bridges on Brunson and take his scoring out of the equation. I feel like he'd take it as a challenge to shut down his old college teammate. Make Luka go supernova against Jae/CamJo/Ayton. I can't see anyone else on that team being able to beat us.
handsome salary
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,122

Post#10 » by handsome salary » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:38 pm

I see Monty trying Craig as his Luka defender off the bench. We'll see.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,412

Post#11 » by dremill24 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:40 pm

Also it may be impossible to play McGee unless Powell is on the floor. When they play 5-out, he's just too slow to keep out there.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,156

Post#12 » by spanishninja » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:49 pm

sunsbg wrote:Mavs are probably the most predictable team in the league. They were forcing Luka vs Gobert on almost every play in 1st round in final minutes. Won't work well against DA. I don't see what different they can offer against us. Luka PnR all day and their role players hitting 3s. Quite easy to game-plan against. So as long as we play our best game it should be an easy win being the better team overall.

this is funny because on the GB right now, some dude is insisting that Luka will easily play Ayton off the court. Keep that energy Mav fans!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,471

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:49 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:Shamet and the word 'rhythm' are never gonna meet up.

Dude is shooting nearly 20% from three in this series and most of them were good looks. This is the story of his career in the playoffs and I don't know why he keeps getting contracts and chances. I'd love for him to turn things around, but we're already dragging Jae Crwoder's turrble 3 pt% around. There's no time. We have too many talented guards who thrive in the mid-range or driving (CP3/Book/Payne) and we NEED shooting from roleplayers.

Monty needs to do the hard thing and cut Shamet out entirely. Bring out Holiday who can match up vs. Brunson and probably shoot better than 22 freaking % from three.

Holiday is shoot 100% in his limited minutes. But he has the shortest leash for no reason what so ever. Crowder is a bench player. At this point I would rather start Craig than Crowder. The reason I kept suggesting CamJ is because he was our best three point shooter, and was the most productive when playing 30+ mins, and Monty just can't give CamJ that many minutes when coming off the bench for some reason. It has maybe happened once, and that is usually because of foul trouble of others or injuries. Shamet is not playable in the playoffs, he brings very little offensively, and nearly nothing defensively. Holiday has out played him. Payne is nothing like the bubble Payne we all came to love.

The Pels series exposed many weaknesses of our players and coaches. We go as CP3 goes. We relied on 3 saving games from CP3. I expect Dallas to be extra physical with him.

It will be interesting the matchup battle in the front court for both teams. Their bigs can hustle, but shouldn't be able to contain either Ayton or McGee. But the bigs they play besides Powell (who hustles a lot) are outside shooters, so Ayton and McGee will have to close out on them.

I still can't believe Crowder is a starter shooting 12% from three. Now if he was a monster on the boards or did anything stellar, it would make sense. But if he can't hit all those wide open shots, we are playing 4-5 on offense. I understand that Monty enjoys trotting out a bad shooter every game, but it doesn't change the fact that it hurts our spacing and overall offense. Because of this we need point god to play insane games to cover for this. It is just not sustainable to get to the finals.

You should look into buying one of those F Jae Crowder shirts.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,042

Post#14 » by sunsbg » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:52 pm

spanishninja wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Mavs are probably the most predictable team in the league. They were forcing Luka vs Gobert on almost every play in 1st round in final minutes. Won't work well against DA. I don't see what different they can offer against us. Luka PnR all day and their role players hitting 3s. Quite easy to game-plan against. So as long as we play our best game it should be an easy win being the better team overall.

this is funny because on the GB right now, some dude is insisting that Luka will easily play Ayton off the court. Keep that energy Mav fans!

Quite a lot of posters on the GB who have not watched a Suns game, but pretend to be experts.
kwsqd
Junior
And1: 391

Post#15 » by kwsqd » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:21 pm

Suns in 5. I could see in 4 or 6 though.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#16 » by darealjuice » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:23 pm

Big money making opportunity for Ayton. Going from JV to Dwight Powell/Max Kleber should feel like Goku taking off his weighted clothes for him lol. They're definitely more mobile bigs, and I'm sure they'll play some small ball to try playing him off the court, but Ayton should be able to dominate this matchup inside and I expect him to continue to defend the perimeter well.

I'm excited to see Mikal get after Doncic with how well he did against CJ/Ingram in this series. I don't know if there's a better player in the league to defend him. Mikal's been no slouch on offense either. There's been a pretty clear development in his mid-range game and ball handling since last year, and it only makes him tougher to hide guys like CJ on.

It should be a good series. I honestly felt like the level of defense and physicality was higher in our series than Dallas/Utah, but Luka can win games on his own and they have a solid collection of shooters.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#17 » by cberry78 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:53 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:Shamet and the word 'rhythm' are never gonna meet up.

Dude is shooting nearly 20% from three in this series and most of them were good looks. This is the story of his career in the playoffs and I don't know why he keeps getting contracts and chances. I'd love for him to turn things around, but we're already dragging Jae Crwoder's turrble 3 pt% around. There's no time. We have too many talented guards who thrive in the mid-range or driving (CP3/Book/Payne) and we NEED shooting from roleplayers.

Monty needs to do the hard thing and cut Shamet out entirely. Bring out Holiday who can match up vs. Brunson and probably shoot better than 22 freaking % from three.

Holiday is shoot 100% in his limited minutes. But he has the shortest leash for no reason what so ever. Crowder is a bench player. At this point I would rather start Craig than Crowder. The reason I kept suggesting CamJ is because he was our best three point shooter, and was the most productive when playing 30+ mins, and Monty just can't give CamJ that many minutes when coming off the bench for some reason. It has maybe happened once, and that is usually because of foul trouble of others or injuries. Shamet is not playable in the playoffs, he brings very little offensively, and nearly nothing defensively. Holiday has out played him. Payne is nothing like the bubble Payne we all came to love.

The Pels series exposed many weaknesses of our players and coaches. We go as CP3 goes. We relied on 3 saving games from CP3. I expect Dallas to be extra physical with him.

It will be interesting the matchup battle in the front court for both teams. Their bigs can hustle, but shouldn't be able to contain either Ayton or McGee. But the bigs they play besides Powell (who hustles a lot) are outside shooters, so Ayton and McGee will have to close out on them.

I still can't believe Crowder is a starter shooting 12% from three. Now if he was a monster on the boards or did anything stellar, it would make sense. But if he can't hit all those wide open shots, we are playing 4-5 on offense. I understand that Monty enjoys trotting out a bad shooter every game, but it doesn't change the fact that it hurts our spacing and overall offense. Because of this we need point god to play insane games to cover for this. It is just not sustainable to get to the finals.

You should look into buying one of those F Jae Crowder shirts.

Just set the avatar size on your profile to 100 x 100 :nod: :nod: :nod:
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,425

Post#18 » by Revived » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:39 pm

I think Crowder is gonna get his 3pt shooting back in this series. Historically, he’s not a bad 3pt shooter in the playoffs, he was just completely off in the last one dropping passes, air balling open 3s etc. He should get back on track and at least give us 35-37% from 3 this series.

Monty had Shamet out of rotations for game 1 if y’all remember. He only got into the rotation game 2 because of Booker’s injury. Monty even told reporters after game 1 that he talked to Shamet and told him he won’t be playing in the playoffs unless foul trouble/injuries. If that’s the case then Shamet should be out of the rotation now since Booker is back and healthy.

As for Dallas, the keep to beating them will be defending Brunson. Short quick guards give us trouble hence why guys like Trae Young and Murray tend to always have big games against Suns. Need a good gameplan to keep him from going off. We can’t use Bridges to defend him because he will be needed for Luka, Crowder can’t handle him.

Mark Cuban made an incredible trade getting rid of Porzingis and bringing in Dinwiddie. He’s shouting 50% from FG and 40% from 3 with the Mavs. But only shooting 30% in the playoffs though. So gotta account for him too.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#19 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:00 pm

Hammer the Ayton mismatchs over and over this series. I don't think Dallas has a good answer for that. Throw multiple guys at Luka and don't get frustrated when he hits a little hot streak or draws some fouls. Hell get his but make him work.

Dallas plays good D so should be able to keep games close.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#20 » by King4Day » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:02 pm

Well, we know there's at least one Mavs lurker who voted lol
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley

Return to Phoenix Suns