ImageImageImage

NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 - Semi-Finals - (4) Dallas Mavericks @ (1) Phoenix Suns l Wednesday l 7:00pm l TNT l Suns lead 1-0

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Top 4 best players on both teams will be....

CP3
16%
Finney-Smith
No votes
CamJ
2%
Luka
21%
Bridges
11%
Dinwiddie
1%
Booker
22%
Brunson
2%
Ayton
22%
Kleber
2%

Total votes: 99

sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,448

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 - Semi-Finals - (4) Dallas Mavericks @ (1) Phoenix Suns l Wednesday l 7:00pm l TNT l Suns lead 

Post#441 » by sasquatchBob » Thu May 5, 2022 1:28 pm

Revived wrote:I think it’s funny that now people are saying that the reason the Suns kept cooking Luka in the second half is because of a thigh injury that he suffered in game 2. He apparently had his left thigh wrapped up during their practice yesterday.

It’s odd though because that injury didn’t seem to bother him when he dropped 24 pts in the first half. I didn’t hear anyone mention this “injury” then either, weird right? But suddenly he starts looking bad in the second half and now that’s because of an injury he suffered in the previous game. That makes sense.

Luka is a great player. He’s a generational player, he’s already broken most playoff records by like Kobe/Bird/LeBron/etc. Even some of Jordan’s. He’s a top 6 player now that’s arguably knocking on being into top 3. I think an argument could be made he’s better than current Durant.

All that being said, he doesn’t need people making freaking excuses for his failures and his weaknesses. Give the defense and shot making ability of the team he’s playing against some credit instead of worrying about what’s wrong with him. He’s not a good defender and he’s borderline atrocious defender. And on offense he doesn’t know how to play off-ball so he just stands while Brunson or someone else is dribbling. These are some of the very rare things that a player of his caliber needs to improve on. But those are things he’s not good at, they need to stop making excuses for him as to why he’s poor in those areas.

Booker is a great example for Luka to follow for both things. Book was an atrocious defender his first couple years in the league and now he’s become one of the best defenders for that SG position in the league. And Booker isn’t some athletic marvel or crazy wingspan guy like Bridges either, it’s just effort, focus, fundamentals and iq. And off-ball Booker used to just stand in the corner while Bledsoe or whoever would be dribbling. Now he’s amazing off ball because he’s constantly moving and even sacrificing his body to set amazing screens for other guys to open up. That’s something that Luka can easily do and he can even do it better than Booker if he puts his mind to it since he has a bigger body than Booker.

It’s just funny that all of a sudden now everyone is wondering what injury Luka had that made him look so bad on defense as if CP3 and Booker aren’t great iso scorers on mismatches and as if Luka was some even average defender to begin with. Like c’mon.

I don't think Luka will ever be a good defender. He's too slow for that. Booker compared to him is much more athletic. Even on offense he's really slow. He just knows how to play at his own pace and make it work. Maybe if he drops weight he can become a decent defender?
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 - Semi-Finals - (4) Dallas Mavericks @ (1) Phoenix Suns l Wednesday l 7:00pm l TNT l Suns lead 

Post#442 » by BobbieL » Thu May 5, 2022 1:30 pm

King4Day wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I am pretty sure about it.

They don't have Doncic but they have McCollum and Ingram who are by far better than any other player from the Mavs.

Then you add Valanciunas, Herb Jones, Larry Nance...much balanced roster.

Zero question that the Pelicans with a full season with CJ and Nance are a top 5 seed. They are better than Dallas right now. If they add Zion as a rotational piece (not even the top player,but rotational) or trade him for players - they are a top 4 seed. CJ is legit and to this day still wonder if Blazers and Sixers ever talked CJ for Simmons.

According to Steven A earlier in the season:

"The Portland Trail Blazers, from what I am told, obviously they talked about CJ McCollum, they talked about Robert Covington, they talked about a couple of first-round picks. They don't want to put it out there because they don't want to alienate CJ McCollum in the event that you keep him. But nevertheless, it's something they have been willing to offer, the Sixers have not been willing to bite."

Betting Philly wishes they pulled the trigger now. They'd be super deep, have extra picks to move to improve the roster even more, and they'd have a leader.
Instead, they traded depth, picks, and their last big name trade chip for a guy who has lost a step and will put a choke on their cap, even if he doesn't take the max, for the next few seasons.

Thanks for finding that. I just thought it was a win win for both teams. The Blazers as they went as far as they could with Dame and CJ so Dame would have had a guy in Simmons to build with - Simmons playing that Draymond role - facilitator, defender,etc. The Sixers would ahve had a legit scorer - who doesn't hog the ball like Harden. And I know hindsight is 20/20 but CJ for Ben and whatever cap filler would have been good for both teams - even if Philly didn't get picks. Morey just had to have Harden
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#443 » by BobbieL » Thu May 5, 2022 1:32 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:
Revived wrote:I think it’s funny that now people are saying that the reason the Suns kept cooking Luka in the second half is because of a thigh injury that he suffered in game 2. He apparently had his left thigh wrapped up during their practice yesterday.

It’s odd though because that injury didn’t seem to bother him when he dropped 24 pts in the first half. I didn’t hear anyone mention this “injury” then either, weird right? But suddenly he starts looking bad in the second half and now that’s because of an injury he suffered in the previous game. That makes sense.

Luka is a great player. He’s a generational player, he’s already broken most playoff records by like Kobe/Bird/LeBron/etc. Even some of Jordan’s. He’s a top 6 player now that’s arguably knocking on being into top 3. I think an argument could be made he’s better than current Durant.

All that being said, he doesn’t need people making freaking excuses for his failures and his weaknesses. Give the defense and shot making ability of the team he’s playing against some credit instead of worrying about what’s wrong with him. He’s not a good defender and he’s borderline atrocious defender. And on offense he doesn’t know how to play off-ball so he just stands while Brunson or someone else is dribbling. These are some of the very rare things that a player of his caliber needs to improve on. But those are things he’s not good at, they need to stop making excuses for him as to why he’s poor in those areas.

Booker is a great example for Luka to follow for both things. Book was an atrocious defender his first couple years in the league and now he’s become one of the best defenders for that SG position in the league. And Booker isn’t some athletic marvel or crazy wingspan guy like Bridges either, it’s just effort, focus, fundamentals and iq. And off-ball Booker used to just stand in the corner while Bledsoe or whoever would be dribbling. Now he’s amazing off ball because he’s constantly moving and even sacrificing his body to set amazing screens for other guys to open up. That’s something that Luka can easily do and he can even do it better than Booker if he puts his mind to it since he has a bigger body than Booker.

It’s just funny that all of a sudden now everyone is wondering what injury Luka had that made him look so bad on defense as if CP3 and Booker aren’t great iso scorers on mismatches and as if Luka was some even average defender to begin with. Like c’mon.

I don't think Luka will ever be a good defender. He's too slow for that. Booker compared to him is much more athletic. Even on offense he's really slow. He just knows how to play at his own pace and make it work. Maybe if he drops weight he can become a decent defender?

May never be a good defender as you mention the foot speed. But Luka can get in better shape physically. He came into camp this summer overweight if I recall and a very skilled offensive player. It does seem like if he were a bit stronger and fit - would help his game.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,028

Post#444 » by RaisingArizona » Thu May 5, 2022 1:41 pm

King4Day wrote:Not to burst anyone's bubble but if we get through this series, especially in 4 or 5 games, just remember this is an insanely good matchup for us. Memphis and Golden State will present problems that Dallas doesn't, and don't forget about a team like Milwaukee who is a matchup nightmare for us.
We can still win, but it'll be far far far from how this series has gone so far.
No. I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts. Whether it's 0-10 more wins, this has been fun. Tomorrow's problems can wait.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#445 » by King4Day » Thu May 5, 2022 2:28 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
King4Day wrote:No doubt Scott Foster is going to ref game 3. Let's end this curse!

Does the league really want Foster reffing game three though? I mean, if we are rolling like this, and we lose again for what I am sure will be an oddly reffed game, how does the world not think there is more to this Scott Foster thing? It would be better for the league if they had someone else ref the games.

They want the series to extend. Foster tends to call more ticky tack fouls. Whether he has an agenda or not is another story, but that's his style.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#446 » by King4Day » Thu May 5, 2022 2:30 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
King4Day wrote:Not to burst anyone's bubble but if we get through this series, especially in 4 or 5 games, just remember this is an insanely good matchup for us. Memphis and Golden State will present problems that Dallas doesn't, and don't forget about a team like Milwaukee who is a matchup nightmare for us.
We can still win, but it'll be far far far from how this series has gone so far.
No. I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts. Whether it's 0-10 more wins, this has been fun. Tomorrow's problems can wait.

For sure.
I'm just saying, fans have been living in the moment. We lost game 2 against the Pels, and Booker, and the season was over if you polled Suns fans.
Then after game 3, we're going to be champs again. Then game 4 and all hell has broken loose.

These wins should be enjoyed but we can't be led to believe that every game will be that way. Especially when possibly playing teams like the Warriors, Griz, or Bucks.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#447 » by BobbieL » Thu May 5, 2022 2:33 pm

King4Day wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:

For sure.
I'm just saying, fans have been living in the moment. We lost game 2 against the Pels, and Booker, and the season was over if you polled Suns fans.
Then after game 3, we're going to be champs again. Then game 4 and all hell has broken loose.

These wins should be enjoyed but we can't be led to believe that every game will be that way. Especially when possibly playing teams like the Warriors, Griz, or Bucks.

Agreed - -so far the Mavs are a good matchup for the Suns. They don't have a true 5; plus the Suns defense is excellent and they can limit the others and let Doncic do his thing

But I will happily play both the Warriors and Bucks (or Heat or whomever) . Bring it on!
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#448 » by matt131 » Thu May 5, 2022 3:14 pm

In a game where CP3 went sicko mode, Booker had 30 points, the Suns team shot the second highest true shooting percentage in playoff history, and the Suns mercilessly attacked Luka on defense, here are the ESPN headlines on the NBA page

Front article: picture of Tyrese maxey of the 76ers

Articles:
76ers, down 2-0, still uncertain on embiid status

Mavs can't win with just doncic, Kidd says (news flash, ESPN, Mavs can't win with Luka, period)

Nets say Simmons blah blah

Warriors Payton to miss a month

Celtics get bounce back win (WHICH HAPPENED FREAKING 2 DAYS AGO)

Ja, with one good eye, drops 47 to carry Grizz (again, TWO FLIPPING DAYS AGO)

This is borderline intentional. How can the only two headlines out of suns wins be about Luka? How is there absolutely zero coverage of the Suns?
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#449 » by RunDogGun » Thu May 5, 2022 3:17 pm

King4Day wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
King4Day wrote:No doubt Scott Foster is going to ref game 3. Let's end this curse!

Does the league really want Foster reffing game three though? I mean, if we are rolling like this, and we lose again for what I am sure will be an oddly reffed game, how does the world not think there is more to this Scott Foster thing? It would be better for the league if they had someone else ref the games.

They want the series to extend. Foster tends to call more ticky tack fouls. Whether he has an agenda or not is another story, but that's his style.

If it is on both ends, I guess I would be ok with it, but then it is really refs dictating how the game will go, and if calling more fans slows the game down, it could purposely help one team. I just don't understand the league not wanting to make sure their league isn't a joke, that the players just aren't in on. Either let both teams play on, or ruin a game for the fans.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#450 » by RunDogGun » Thu May 5, 2022 3:20 pm

matt131 wrote:In a game where CP3 went sicko mode, Booker had 30 points, the Suns team shot the second highest true shooting percentage in playoff history, and the Suns mercilessly attacked Luka on defense, here are the ESPN headlines on the NBA page

Articles:

Mavs can't win with just doncic, Kidd says (news flash, ESPN, Mavs can't win with Luka, period)

This is borderline intentional. How can the only two headlines out of suns wins be about Luka? How is there absolutely zero coverage of the Suns?

In a way, I like the lack of coverage. If it makes our players play harder, feeling disrespected by the league time and time again, I am actually fine with it.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#451 » by RunDogGun » Thu May 5, 2022 3:27 pm

I didn't like the CP3, Payne, Shamet line up. We have enough guys to fill in the spots. Payne continues to lose leads. He seems to try and get his own shot first, and then when he is stuck, he chucks it to someone. The passes have often really bad passes, except that inside pass, which was nice. But it was an easy pass to make, when you have a guy with a clear seal out.

I still don't understand why Holiday can't get minutes, even now in garbage minutes. Biz played well, and gave us a solid spark. I think Holiday would do the same at the guard spot. Bridges found Biz twice for easy baskets.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#453 » by RunDogGun » Thu May 5, 2022 3:30 pm

Yeah, it was dumb. But it seemed even dumber that TNT kept showing Dallas fans at our home, after Dallas scored. There were at least 6 video cuts to their fans, and one at the end when they were getting crushed. At that point it should have been camera cuts to Suns fans cheering on our team.
handsome salary
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,095

Post#454 » by handsome salary » Thu May 5, 2022 3:53 pm

The Heat Sixers game was billed as Game of the Night on ESPN this morning. ESPNs takedown of Sarver went nowhere so they now are under order to promote the Suns as little as possible.
Game 1 was “Luka was a God”. Game 2 the Suns target Luka specifically for a historic night and it’s crickets. Shaq after the game was going “they can’t shoot 65% again. It’s a fluke”. Oh well. Suns keep winning.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#455 » by BobbieL » Thu May 5, 2022 3:56 pm

RunDogGun wrote:Yeah, it was dumb. But it seemed even dumber that TNT kept showing Dallas fans at our home, after Dallas scored. There were at least 6 video cuts to their fans, and one at the end when they were getting crushed. At that point it should have been camera cuts to Suns fans cheering on our team.

Those fans were in Dallas at American Airlines area - they weren't in Phoenix.

Nick Wright thinks it was unfair that the Suns attacked Luka when he was most tired. He thikns the Suns should have played more "straight up"

whatever the f&&k that means
Hsker4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,261

Post#456 » by Hsker4Life » Thu May 5, 2022 4:01 pm

Has there been any explanation for that 4 point Maverick play?
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#457 » by RunDogGun » Thu May 5, 2022 4:07 pm

BobbieL wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:Yeah, it was dumb. But it seemed even dumber that TNT kept showing Dallas fans at our home, after Dallas scored. There were at least 6 video cuts to their fans, and one at the end when they were getting crushed. At that point it should have been camera cuts to Suns fans cheering on our team.

Nick Wright thinks it was unfair that the Suns attacked Luka when he was most tired. He thikns the Suns should have played more "straight up"

I still found it to be a joke. They seemed to cut to them more than out fans.
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,891

Post#458 » by LV-Suns » Thu May 5, 2022 4:31 pm

BobbieL wrote:

He called our offense gimmicky for attacking Luka. How does this dude get on tv.

“Here’s the deal. The Mavs are in a rough spot. Luka’s (Doncic) one weakness as a player is he is not a great defensive player … They are in a rough spot because the Mavs right now have one way to score and it is Luka because Jalen Brunson has yet to show up in the series. It’s exhausting. He’s not naturally a great defender to begin with and Chris Paul, because he is as smart of a basketball player as we’ve ever had this side of LeBron James, waits and waits and waits and then in the fourth quarter, when Luka is his most tired, and the Mavs are their most desperate, he just tortures them. It’s almost a little unfair what they are doing. These constant pick and rolls, the constant targeting. I would just say, if you are truly the best team in basketball, beat them straight up, not with this gimmicky stuff, but that is what they are doing.”

This might be one of the worst takes I have heard.
I Dont wanna be here
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#459 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 5, 2022 4:33 pm

matt131 wrote:In a game where CP3 went sicko mode, Booker had 30 points, the Suns team shot the second highest true shooting percentage in playoff history, and the Suns mercilessly attacked Luka on defense, here are the ESPN headlines on the NBA page

Articles:

There may be a couple reasons outside of something they have against the Suns. 50% of the US population or a tad less live in the eastern time zone. Then about 30% live in the central time zone.

About 6% in the Mountain time zone and 16% in the Pacific time zone (which i believe Phx is in now without DST).

And you posted this early, when it was like 8:14 am in Phx.

But with the eastern time zone at 3x the population of the pacific it is typically going to favor those teams, unless it's LeBron, and then of course Ja and Luka are in the central time zone, which is 2 hours ahead of Phx.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#460 » by Revived » Thu May 5, 2022 4:42 pm

handsome salary wrote:The Heat Sixers game was billed as Game of the Night on ESPN this morning. ESPNs takedown of Sarver went nowhere so they now are under order to promote the Suns as little as possible.
Game 1 was “Luka was a God”. Game 2 the Suns target Luka specifically for a historic night and it’s crickets. Shaq after the game was going “they can’t shoot 65% again. It’s a fluke”. Oh well. Suns keep winning.

Oh yeah what ended up happening with that Sarver story? Didn’t some famous activist or somebody pledge to protest outside Suns arena if NBA didn’t punish or remove Sarver from ownership months ago?

Lol that whole thing was such a joke starting with the “leak”.

Return to Phoenix Suns