ImageImageImage

NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 4 - Semi-Finals - (1) Phoenix Suns @ (4) Dallas Mavericks l Sunday l 12:30pm l ESPN l Mavs lead 2-1

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What should be main focus in winning game 4?

Limiting TO's
44%
Three point shooting
11%
Defense
11%
Rebounding
11%
Slowing down Luka
6%
Bench must play better
17%

Total votes: 18

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,464

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 4 - Semi-Finals - (1) Phoenix Suns @ (4) Dallas Mavericks l Sunday l 12:30pm l ESPN l Mavs lead 2 

Post#481 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon May 9, 2022 5:05 am

RunDogGun wrote:Funny, Holiday gets 2 minutes, gets 1 assist, 1 steal, and 2 points on 1-1 shooting. His per 36 is just insane. I would love to hear an interview with him after the post season.

Holiday deserves a better opportunity kind of wish Bucks picked him up to pair with his little brother.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,479

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 4 - Semi-Finals - (1) Phoenix Suns @ (4) Dallas Mavericks l Sunday l 12:30pm l ESPN l Mavs lead 2 

Post#482 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 9, 2022 5:22 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:Sheesh…, lot of teenagers sitting down there in prime seat land. Don’t know why that bothers me, but it does.

Shows you how close the fans are. Very little between them and the players. Really like no other sport. I’ve sat courtside once, and honestly prefer 10 rows up

One season back in the early eighties, we had half a season worth of season ticks… and ended very close to Alvin Adams’, Joel Kramer’s, and Jeff Cook’s wives. We bit our tongues for a while but ended up being not exactly fan favs in that section. But that’s another story.

I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be somewhat better to have some kind of safety glass separation kind of like what they have in hockey. Maybe a row or two behind the player's benches? With the row right above the players benches bring for family of players and team/ personnel. If nothing else, at least to reduce potential negative interactions between fans and players. And of course you can still have pre/ post game interactions with the proper security presence?

It might be a good idea, but it doesn't do much for families if they are being harrassed. It might be good to have a VIP section for families of players, etc, away from others. Though road teams may not want to do that.

Absolutely!
I was thinking though that the row behind the player's bench would have ushers/ security presence in that specific area ( perhaps at the end of the section or whatever). And the separation security glass would be the row right behind theirs. But a VIP section, however they set it up would be what's needed visiting team or not. :nod:
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,419

Post#484 » by Revived » Mon May 9, 2022 6:03 am

garrick wrote:https://official.nba.com/pool-report-on-chris-pauls-fifth-and-sixth-fouls-during-todays-phoenix-suns-at-dallas-mavericks-game/

Pool Report on Chris Paul’s Fifth and Sixth Fouls During Today’s Phoenix Suns at Dallas Mavericks Game
May 8, 2022

The Pool Report interview was conducted by Tim MacMahon (ESPN) with Crew Chief Kane Fitzgerald following tonight’s Suns and Mavericks game.

QUESTION: What was explanation for the fifth foul called on Chris Paul and the Suns unsuccessful challenge?

FITZGERALD: Chris Paul veers into the path of the defender without giving him the opportunity to avoid contact so that is why it is an offensive foul.

QUESTION: What is the explanation for the sixth foul called on Chris Paul?

FITZGERALD: As Brunson jumps to get the rebound Chris Paul grabs his right wrist causing him to lose his balance in the air and fall backwards.

The 6th foul although technically was a foul it was a pretty weak call to be honest because the consistency of the calls is not equal for both teams.

Anyway a HUGE factor in this game was that Paul was in constant foul trouble and Payne is having yet another horrible series and should definitely be played less games in game 5 and 6 than he did in game 4.

Hopefully the Suns clean up the sloppy turnovers and don't let bad calls get to them, also need to have Bridges and Ayton attack the rim more as I think both need to be involved in the offense. Ayton in particular needs to do a better job of making his moves quicker because it seemed like he held the ball a second too long allowing defenses to double and triple team him and poke the ball away from him.

CP3 had a terrible game even before all the fouls. He had zero shot attempts in the entire first qtr. He’s supposed to be a top 2 player on this team and in a playoff game on the road with the opposing team having chance to tie the series…and he comes out extremely passive.
Revived
RealGM

Post#485 » by Revived » Mon May 9, 2022 6:14 am

RunDogGun wrote:I am glad this game happened. I think I have been fooling myself for a long time, and clearly letting the entertainment business known as the NBA dictate how I feel and then react. I easily let it affect my mood and actions. I think this will be my last year following the Suns. I hope them well, but they just aren't the darlings the league wants. As long as Sarver owns the team, I don't think they will win a chip, and as long as he is making money, I don't see him selling the team. I am not sure why the earlier Suns also got the short end of the stick, but I can only assume that teams that were involved with the drug scandal in the 80s were not going to be allowed to get a chip either.

So in the end, I will check in, but try not to let this version of the sport get to me. If I offended any of you guys over the years, I apologize, and wish you the best. Clearly I let this version of the game get me riled up, and then lash out. Have a good night guys.

I’m with you man. Years ago I took the games too seriously and similar to you I let it affect my mood and my days. But then I realized if these millionaires don’t give a **** about playing well and putting out a good product then I shouldn’t either.

However this season I started letting it affect my mood slowly. Not as bad as it was before but still.

This team looked so good in the regular season, basically almost unbeatable and yet in the playoffs they’ve just been crap even in the series they won. Now I wish we sucked more in the reg season and had like 4-6th seed instead so my expectations would’ve adjusted too.

For a team that lost in the Finals last season to come out angry and set franchise record for wins in the reg season and then almost completely lose that fire and motivation is just mind boggling. The team has just completely stopped caring quite honestly and it starts with the HC.

I think it was sabrestar or someone else that was arguing about me and few others saying the Suns chances against the Warriors are slim. I hope he’s able to now see why that is, even if the Suns advance past Dallas which is looking unlikely now.

This series shows regular season is so dumb and pointless too. 9 or 11 straight or whatever against Dallas in regular season and now in the playoffs they’ve thoroughly outclassed the Suns. The Mavericks are playing now like their a whole tier above the Suns.

Bad news for the Mavericks though because the Warriors would gentlemen sweep them and average margin of victory is probably 15+ for GSW. Curry and Poole would destroy the likes of Powell/Kleber/Bertans in pick and rolls in ways that our ~$65 million/annual salaries backcourt can’t do.

I’m hoping to make some $$ betting on that series if the spread to cover isn’t overly favoring GSW. The money can help ease pain of the Suns.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#486 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 9, 2022 6:17 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I always listen to them as the voice of reason. In this epi, Mike was pro going back to straight up D on Luka and forcing him to beat us on his own while Sam was pro forcing the ball out of Luka's hand. My biggest frustration/amusement is that we somehow did neither....
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Revived
RealGM

Post#487 » by Revived » Mon May 9, 2022 6:21 am

Read on Twitter

When the Jevon Carter trade happened I mentioned how it would hurt the bench chemistry especially bringing in a guy like Shamet who got overpaid. Right now Bucks fans LOVE Carter in Milwaukee playing in an actual system and Shamet well, it’s obvious so not gonna get into that.

Imagine if Suns had Carter now (42% 3pt% in playoffs) to ease the pain of trash ass Payne….

Another thing that hurts the Suns is that every rotation bench player except McGee is absolute trash defensively. Payne is trash, Shamet is trash, Johnson is trash. Even McGee has games where he’s looked trash against certain lineups.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#488 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 9, 2022 6:37 am

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

When the Jevon Carter trade happened I mentioned how it would hurt the bench chemistry especially bringing in a guy like Shamet who got overpaid. Right now Bucks fans LOVE Carter in Milwaukee playing in an actual system and Shamet well, it’s obvious so not gonna get into that.

Imagine if Suns had Carter now (42% 3pt% in playoffs) to ease the pain of trash ass Payne….

Another thing that hurts the Suns is that every rotation bench player except McGee is absolute trash defensively. Payne is trash, Shamet is trash, Johnson is trash. Even McGee has games where he’s looked trash against certain lineups.

We wouldn't play him. We didn't play him last playoffs. The big issue to me is we had half a season to see if this bench can compete at the highest level and if not, then we have the trade deadline to do something about it. We didn't get EG but we picked up Craig who has been a non-factor, Holiday *should* be able to replicate and do a bit more than what Carter did but Monty hasn't played him and Biz gives us a different look but again, we don't play him. So Jones brought in two guys who could help but Monty doesn't play them and doesn't bring in the guy that could've been difficult to not play (Gordon) especially in times when we just lack that steady hand.

And I would argue McGee hasn't looked good overall. He's had a couple of nice stretches but he was just OK against the Pels and has been pretty poor against small ball Mavs. I agree with Zimmerman's general point about our bench being especially shallow.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,479

Post#489 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 9, 2022 6:55 am

This pretty much exemplifies the Luka/ refs connection and the shameless pandering to the Euro Diva!
Read on Twitter
?s=20
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#490 » by AtheJ415 » Mon May 9, 2022 6:55 am

BobbieL wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
Maze wrote:The refs are masters at reading or establishing momentum for whichever team they've chosen to favor for any particular game.The Mavs get all the timely, momentum calls.Once they gain a decent lead, the refs will sprinkle in lil grey area sporadic calls for the Suns to not make the hosing look completely obvious.I knew once Booker got that tech in the 1st Q, Dallas was the favored team.Been watching this league for too long.Don't know why I do.Guess I'm holding out hope that the NBA narrative machine will favor the Suns one day.The closest we've come was '93..But Michael Jordan was the main character.During the Nash years, the narrative was marketing international basketball.The Spurs were the main characters for that one.Suns have to somehow secure a main character.Luka was right there, but we chose the cowardly lion over him.

Well said, yeah, I think I am done with this so called league. Not sure if I care enough to even finish watching this playoffs. If Monty made adjustments, then maybe the players could beat out the league desires. But when the coach just goes along with the league, there really isn't any point.

Bad officiating aside
why the hell hasn't Monty or somebody on that staff figured out how to defend the Mavs - I get the impulse is to leave shooters if luka or Brunson beat their man but with Kleber, DFS, and Bertans - no -- do not leave them. If anything get closesr to them - don't reach, just standing there

Our off ball defense has been a nightmare. I'd rather face guard the 3 point shooters and give up on helpside at this point. Or stay with the zone. I haven't understood how showing bodies by severely helping to the paint is somehow worth giving up these corner 3s.

Stop welcoming the switches to allow Luka to pick his matchup. Hedge and recover with Mikal, and stick to the 3 point shooters. This isn't that complicated and for the 2nd playoffs in a row Monty seems incapable of adjusting on the fly.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#491 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 9, 2022 7:23 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:This pretty much exemplifies the Luka/ refs connection and the shameless pandering to the Euro Diva!
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm not saying the CP3 trade was wrong in any shape or form but after trading for him, I remember one of the narratives was that CP3 is one of the smartest, most level headed guys on the court at any time and one of the big benefits of having a guy who's well respected (NBPA Prez) and has been around for a while is that he would be able to talk/work the refs like Lebron and other stars do.

I see him talking to the refs all the time but if you look at our FTA's over the years it's actually gone backwards.

Monty Year 1: 23.8 FTA (#10 in the league)
Monty Year 2: 18.7 FTA (#29 in the league)
Monty Year 3: 19.9 FTA (#27 in the league)

Now there are other factors involved like we play more methodically with CP3, the officiating has changed over the past couple of years with scorers having a harder time getting calls in general and we don't really have that one guy who's just heads down getting to the rim like Oubre. But I thought at the very least, we would be in the middle of pack rather than bottom 5.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#492 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 9, 2022 7:28 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:Well said, yeah, I think I am done with this so called league. Not sure if I care enough to even finish watching this playoffs. If Monty made adjustments, then maybe the players could beat out the league desires. But when the coach just goes along with the league, there really isn't any point.

Bad officiating aside
why the hell hasn't Monty or somebody on that staff figured out how to defend the Mavs - I get the impulse is to leave shooters if luka or Brunson beat their man but with Kleber, DFS, and Bertans - no -- do not leave them. If anything get closesr to them - don't reach, just standing there

Our off ball defense has been a nightmare. I'd rather face guard the 3 point shooters and give up on helpside at this point. Or stay with the zone. I haven't understood how showing bodies by severely helping to the paint is somehow worth giving up these corner 3s.

Stop welcoming the switches to allow Luka to pick his matchup. Hedge and recover with Mikal, and stick to the 3 point shooters. This isn't that complicated and for the 2nd playoffs in a row Monty seems incapable of adjusting on the fly.

100%

This was the worst off ball defensive performances I've seen so far in the playoffs. We somehow went away with the defense that worked over the first two games and went with a defense which gave the Mavs one of the very few path ways to win.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#493 » by RedIndian » Mon May 9, 2022 7:43 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

We wouldn't play him. We didn't play him last playoffs. The big issue to me is we had half a season to see if this bench can compete at the highest level and if not, then we have the trade deadline to do something about it. We didn't get EG but we picked up Craig who has been a non-factor, Holiday *should* be able to replicate and do a bit more than what Carter did but Monty hasn't played him and Biz gives us a different look but again, we don't play him. So Jones brought in two guys who could help but Monty doesn't play them and doesn't bring in the guy that could've been difficult to not play (Gordon) especially in times when we just lack that steady hand.

And I would argue McGee hasn't looked good overall. He's had a couple of nice stretches but he was just OK against the Pels and has been pretty poor against small ball Mavs. I agree with Zimmerman's general point about our bench being especially shallow.

Yeah, Carter isn't the issue. The larger issue is we've lacked a legit bench guard since Monty's first year. We tried Okobo, Jevon, Ty Jerome behind Rubio and none of them worked. Up stepped Payne, and credit to him, he worked his ass off both in the bubble and last year. Yet we all knew that we couldn't rely on Payne in the long-term.

Come the 2020 draft, we had the option of taking Haliburton, Maxey, Bane or hell even Vassell or Cole Anthony. Any of them would have worked better for us than Stix, but Jones botched that badly.

Come 2021 free agency, we had the full MLE to use before we got fully capped out, but Jones declined using it choosing instead to do a smaller deal with McGee. I wish now we'd thrown the full MLE at Caruso or Josh Hart and simply taken Biyombo alone on the vet min.

Come 2022 trade deadline, the whole world told us to trade for Eric Gordon, but apparently Jones had no interest in throwing in a 2024 pick.

Granted, these are finer margins we're talking about, but that's what it takes to win a championship, especially in a year when there are no clear favourites.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,974

Post#494 » by garrick » Mon May 9, 2022 7:45 am

Do we give Cam Payne's minutes to Elfrid? At least Elfrid can defend quite well and it's not like Payne is hitting many shots from deep anyway?

One of the problems I see is that the Mavs are switching Luka's defender and he tries to go at CP3 or the much smaller Cam Payne who has no hope to defend Luka, when he gets deep position we are throwing the double at him and giving them wide open threes.

Hopefully Monty and his team come up with a better strategy than they had in game 2 & 4...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#495 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 9, 2022 8:11 am

RedIndian wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, Carter isn't the issue. The larger issue is we've lacked a legit bench guard since Monty's first year. We tried Okobo, Jevon, Ty Jerome behind Rubio and none of them worked. Up stepped Payne, and credit to him, he worked his ass off both in the bubble and last year. Yet we all knew that we couldn't rely on Payne in the long-term.

Come the 2020 draft, we had the option of taking Haliburton, Maxey, Bane or hell even Vassell or Cole Anthony. Any of them would have worked better for us than Stix, but Jones botched that badly.

Come 2021 free agency, we had the full MLE to use before we got fully capped out, but Jones declined using it choosing instead to do a smaller deal with McGee. I wish now we'd thrown the full MLE at Caruso or Josh Hart and simply taken Biyombo alone on the vet min.

Come 2022 trade deadline, the whole world told us to trade for Eric Gordon, but apparently Jones had no interest in throwing in a 2024 pick.

Granted, these are finer margins we're talking about, but that's what it takes to win a championship, especially in a year when there are no clear favourites.

I thought Payne was a perfectly fine back up guard. Payne to me, isn't the biggest issue. It's that we knew our 1st guard off the bench, CP3's back up, one of two of our key bench scorers had regressed (for whatever) so badly yet we decided we would do absolutely nothing about it. If Shamet was better, it might've softened the blow of Payne's painful play but he's been dog doo doo too.

There were a lot of arrows pointing towards EG being that guy for us and for sure, I fully acknowledge the cons of bringing in a guy with this much salary left on his contract and his injury history but when you're a contender, CP3's is turning 37, it's your final chance to make a move and you know there's issues with key guards off the bench, how do you get to that fork in the road and say - Nah we good.

:dontknow:
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 648

Post#496 » by Hitachi77 » Mon May 9, 2022 9:01 am

Everyone wants to talk about our defense but if you look at the box scores, Dallas has been very similar overall offensively. It might simply come down to us playing better on offense, and role players stepping up like they did in game 5 last series.

But I would def rather play Luka straight up. Don't want other guys getting confidence in Phoenix.
PittsburghSuns
Junior
And1: 289

Post#498 » by PittsburghSuns » Mon May 9, 2022 11:54 am

Bridges pulling the disappearing act so far. Guy is very inconsistent just like DA
pj0tr
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#499 » by pj0tr » Mon May 9, 2022 12:55 pm

Hitachi77 wrote:Everyone wants to talk about our defense but if you look at the box scores, Dallas has been very similar overall offensively. It might simply come down to us playing better on offense, and role players stepping up like they did in game 5 last series.

But I would def rather play Luka straight up. Don't want other guys getting confidence in Phoenix.

I think we'll see a much similar strategy to Games 1 and 2 defensively. Also think we might see Jae Crowder start on Luka, and Bridges start on Brunson.

I also agree that the offense right now is the big problem. They are trying to matchup hunt too much right now. They also need to speed up the pace and run their usual sets. They are allowing Dallas to dictate what they run and they settle way too much into late iso's and late pick n rolls in the shot clock.
pj0tr
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#500 » by pj0tr » Mon May 9, 2022 1:06 pm

I think another thing we see in Game 5 is reduced McGee minutes. Think Biyombo gets more time, and I think we finally see Aaron Holiday get run for the bench minutes with CP3 to start the 2nd Q.

Return to Phoenix Suns